Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 02-27-2009, 1:16 PM
Veteran Member

Default Fake suppressor with quick detach (SEI DC)?

Can anyone recommend a fake suppressor with a Smith Enterprise Direct Connect-compatible quick detach feature? This is for an overall-length issue.

O.D. of my Vortex is .860in.

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2009, 2:11 PM

I'm not 100% sure-but don't replica suppressors have to be permanently attached/welded on when you want to add barrel length? ATF is very particular about those replicas. Try MFI-you might find one for your rifle:
http://www.mfiap.com/index.htm
Old 02-27-2009, 2:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang0 View Post
Can anyone recommend a fake suppressor with a Smith Enterprise Direct Connect-compatible quick detach feature? This is for an overall-length issue.

O.D. of my Vortex is .860in.

Thanks!
For OAL issue, it cannot be QD.

New to Calguns, check here first:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=56818
Old 02-27-2009, 2:23 PM
Veteran Member

For barrel length, yes, they must be permanently attached. But I'm just trying to extend my rifle's overall length, which does not have the permanence requirement. Jicko, are you sure that quick-detach is barred from OAL? The wording of the law only says that it must be over 30" in length.

I did have an MFI fake can before, but its inner diameter was not large enough to fit on my Vortex. Also, it wasn't quick detach--the set screws cut into the finish of my gun.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Last edited by dchang0; 02-27-2009 at 2:26 PM..
Old 02-27-2009, 2:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang0 View Post
For barrel length, yes, they must be permanently attached. But I'm just trying to extend my rifle's overall length, which does not have the permanence requirement. Jicko, are you sure that quick-detach is barred from OAL? The wording of the law only says that it must be over 30" in length.

I did have an MFI fake can before, but its inner diameter was not large enough to fit on my Vortex. Also, it wasn't quick detach--the set screws cut into the finish of my gun.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!
But think about it.... say... a telescoping stock... when extended... make the rifle over 30".... but when retracted... make the rifle LESS than 30".... now, do you think you can get by with the OAL rifle length being over 30" with that configuration? Probably not.... so, that should apply with any barrel extension...

New to Calguns, check here first:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=56818
Old 02-27-2009, 2:43 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, but with a telescoping stock, the stock remains attached. With a QD fake can, the can would have to be removed from the gun in order to go under the 30" requirement. I'd have to disassemble the gun in a certain order to avoid creating an assault weapon, such as breaking it apart before removing the fake can...
Old 02-27-2009, 2:46 PM

my IIRC if its for oal then no QD must be permanent...if your rifle already meets the minimum OAL then i dont think the QD is a problem but i am no authorative figure on this but thats what would make sense to me...correct me if im wrong ....."which i know you guys will"

16" barrel + QD fake suppressor = ok
14.5" barrel + QD fake can = bad
Old 02-27-2009, 4:01 PM

i think hes saying he has a 16+ barrel but his rifle is under 30. In this case i dont think it needs to be premanent but dont quote me. Just the same as a fake can screwed on to the normal barrel threads.
Old 02-27-2009, 4:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jicko View Post
But think about it.... say... a telescoping stock... when extended... make the rifle over 30".... but when retracted... make the rifle LESS than 30".... now, do you think you can get by with the OAL rifle length being over 30" with that configuration?
Thats why you dont configure your rifle to not meet the OAL reqs . Notice how we can get AUG clones and PS90s?? Its kind of how we put bullet buttons on OLLs with evil features instead of having a regular mag release. We congifure the weapon in a compliant manner. The law is the law.

THERE IS NO PERMANENT OAL REQ. Please do not tell us otherwise. One could glue/tape a piece of metal coat-hanger on the gun to get to 30 inches OAL and it would be legal.

I would like to know if there are any mock QD supressors as well.

Check out my LMT .308 AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotton View Post
I have to try that method of attaching the front of a sling to the gun via pubic hair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomb_on_bus View Post
Best part of buying that stock is it comes with its own complimentary jar of anal lube! There were several flavors to choose from, regular, hot cinnamon, or bacon. Im a man of danger so I chose Hot cinnamon to use with my bump fire buttstock.