Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 02-27-2009, 4:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by N6ATF View Post
Ammo is like savings accounts: it earns interest.

Except you get waaay more ROI from ammo.
Old 02-27-2009, 4:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfried View Post
Nope, China stopped buying because they completed construction on their deathstar.
LMFAO
Old 02-27-2009, 5:09 PM
Calguns Addict

well, some who complain about people taking advantage of the capitalist system might want to think about that again. are you saying that is not ok? fair or not, it's freedom of the seller and the buyer. like others said, buyer wants to pay more for ammo, more power to him. his/her choice. just as his/her choice for the seller. would you rather not have a choice?

don't get me wrong. i think it's unethical to hoard and resell. but for a seller, there's a buyer out there. you'll have to do multiple visits at walmart to find your amo. that means gas and time. so maybe that's seller's business model - he gets ammo for you since you can't stalk walmart? and if people wisen'ed up, then thats the capitalist system for you too - seller's going bankrupt. should we have a bailout program for seller too then?

you can't get outraged about losing your 2nd amendment and freedom, and yet something small and petty as this gets your panties in a bunch.

Last edited by high_revs; 02-27-2009 at 5:14 PM..
Old 02-27-2009, 7:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ams30gts View Post
i bought 1000 rds of WWB from a fellow calgunner for $300 since it was OOS at like 10 stores i called. Recently i sold 300 rds of it to partially fund a new project. I made a whopping $5 on the sale of the ammo
Gouger! Capitalist swine!
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

WTB: Saiga .223 bolt; HK G3 bolt; Chinese AK pistol grips; milled AK cut receiver pieces and stubs.
Old 02-27-2009, 8:40 PM
Veteran Member

i'm so used to seeing 5.56 prices i had to do a doubletake after the number soup clicked through the ears.
Old 02-27-2009, 9:30 PM
Veteran Member

I, too, find it very agitating to see someone hoard the last 4 boxes of range ammo just to strip the shelves bare. I witnessed such actions yesterday evening.
Old 02-27-2009, 9:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Umm, mere 4 boxes and hoarding don't go well together
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

WTB: Saiga .223 bolt; HK G3 bolt; Chinese AK pistol grips; milled AK cut receiver pieces and stubs.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

What's really the problem here? You guys blaming someone for finding a business opportunity? If you're not willing to pay the price, then don't buy it.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:19 PM
Calguns Addict

That's a whine for a different thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echidin View Post
I, too, find it very agitating to see someone hoard the last 4 boxes of range ammo just to strip the shelves bare. I witnessed such actions yesterday evening.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:23 PM

Personally I think it's not a nice thing to do.

But fundamentally it's quite the American thing to do.
Free market economy n all.
Buy low, sell high.
The entrepreneurial spirit.
Etc. Etc.

Big business has been doing that since the start of this country (even longer in others).
Buy up all of a certain commodity, corner the market, sell it at a higher price.
As shareholders, we say good job, make me more $$!!

When the little guy try to make a few bucks, it's suddenly wrong.

Like I said, it's not a nice thing to do.
I personally would no buy from them (especially I know I can order online for cheaper, just have to wait a bit).

But bottom line is, it's their stuff, it doesn't matter when they got it, they have the right to name their price, we have to right to either buy or don't buy, capitolism at it's best.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Heh... Xerxes, remember all those build parties people insist on doing for AK's?

Seems to me that these guys really should consider screaming for bullet casting parties and reloading parties if they REALLY want to save some money.

There are machines to make gas checks...
...molds to make bullets...
...machines to process brass...
...the guys have to bring their own powder jugs, some lead, brass, and primers.

Now, I will not be one of the guys clamoring for or attending one of these reloading parties. However it's the logical extension of ammo price complaints, in my book.

Last edited by grammaton76; 02-27-2009 at 11:09 PM..
Old 02-27-2009, 11:36 PM

It's just how things are. Personally I hate people who buy something just to resell it down the road when they never wanted or needed it in the first place. But I've come to realize it's the norm now a days. Their is no use complaining about it, move on and try someplace else.

About a little over a year ago before all this ammo hoarding started I bought 3 cases of speer gold dots. Won't say what I paid but it was a steal that's why I got so much. Now the current retail price per box of the stuff is over 3 times what I paid in your local gun store. If I were to sale it at the going rate no mark up, would that be wrong. It's not my fault it's value increased or that I have a item in high demand. Would be nice to get my money back and a few extra bucks in my pocket.

Still I ain't getting rid of any of it, it's my SHTF supply. Besides I don't want to replenish it at today's prices.

What sucks for me I need some more FMJ ammo and the cheapest price per case for some good stuff like federal was more than what I paid for the gold dots which are HP ammo. Seems so unfair. And since I didn't buy it back in the day it's now double the going rate I remember.

Tried my local stores and after comparing online after shipping it's about the same price locally so I'll just pay it make sure to buy enough rainy day supply before it goes up anymore.
Old 02-28-2009, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elSquid View Post
The market dictates the price. If somebody can make a buck in this manner, more power to 'em.

-- Michael
You know what? F the market. Simple as that. People can get together on internet boards and talk trash and try and talk others out of buying from these losers who can't get a job and have to resort to scalping and hustling. That is the market.
Old 02-28-2009, 6:09 AM
Vendor/Retailer

LOL. I love the senes of entitlement. It is what started this panic in the first place when Obama got elected. I am doing pretty good with the gun business because of it. Thank you Obama, thank you liberals who voted for him, and thank you for panic buyers who are buying more than you need because you are scared.

All of us who have been in this game a long time are not hurting. We have plenty of ammo, we have plenty of guns, and we are fine. I would venture to guess most of the people on here complaining are panic buyers themselves or they wouldn't suddenly be needing anything within the last three months.

Will this thing bust? It depends. I see the Holder scare got sales going a bit more again. How many more of these little scares are we going to get for the next four to eight years?

Only time will tell.

For you responsible citizens, you can only choose to be taken advantage of. If the price is too high, then don't buy. If you can't find ammo at Walmart, ask to go in and talk to the sporting goods manager. Find out when the ammo truck usually comes in and go camp out until it does. How do you think the Walmart horders are getting what they are getting? Or complain about it some more and expect the government or someone else to help you. Elect a liberal while you are at it to mandate fairness.

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation
Old 02-28-2009, 8:03 AM
Jonathan Doe

I don't buy ammo on line, I don't buy ammo at Walmart, I don't buy ammo from Calguns. I have my sources, and I also reload. I have supply for quite a lot of rounds.

If the guys buy ammo at Walmart, let them . Maybe you should beat them to the ammo sales and buy them all.
Old 02-28-2009, 8:09 AM

I really don't see what the problem is. There is ammo for sale here all the time, what does it matter where it came from. Ammo doesn't grow on trees you know, it had to be purchased somewhere.

For example lowers and uppers are going for top dollar right now. You know there are people doubling or tripling their money.

Ultimately it's your decision. If it bothers you, don't buy it.
Old 02-28-2009, 8:34 AM
Veteran Member

I see no problem making a profit reselling.
I bought 3,500 rounds of 7.62x79 for 50 bucks and in turn sold a portion of it to a gun store for more than I paid by a great margin.
The guy I bought it from was happy with his profit, I was happy with my monetary gain and the store sold it for a profit to happy buyers.
Maybe the buyers are reselling it, as well. Good for them.

Unless you believe in, "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need." Karl Marx
Old 02-28-2009, 9:18 AM
Veteran Member

Last edited by BigBamBoo; 08-03-2011 at 9:31 PM..
Old 02-28-2009, 9:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

While I hate the idiots who think their uppers are worth 1000, ammo worth 50 cents, it's their right to buy and sell try to make a profit. It's the American Way, just like it's the American Way for the rest of us to watch them hoard all their crap, sit on it for too long, and lose money in the end.
Old 02-28-2009, 9:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Paying the prices these idiots are asking gives them justification for what they're doing. Buyers create the "Grey Market" of re-selling reatail goods.

If you're out of ammo or other items necessary to go shooting that's your problem. Should have saved up for a rainy day.
Old 02-28-2009, 9:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankerman View Post
If you're out of ammo or other items necessary to go shooting that's your problem. Should have saved up for a rainy day.
Yeap. If you can't afford your hobbies time to scale back. Don't legitimize the scalpers.
Old 02-28-2009, 9:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I have 5 turret/progressive reloading presses. How much does ammo cost?

One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 02-28-2009, 1:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Squid View Post
You know what? F the market. Simple as that. People can get together on internet boards and talk trash and try and talk others out of buying from these losers who can't get a job and have to resort to scalping and hustling. That is the market.
You know what I say to losers who can't get a job but resort to hustling and scalping to make a buck?

Better that than being on public assistance.

-- Michael
Old 03-03-2009, 2:41 PM

i have been buying alot because of all of the microstamping talk and people trying to get us to sign petitions for 50 rounds in thirty days limits and the big Obama sky is falling bury your guns talk. but i am not reselling just sitting on enough to supplement. plus even walmart has gone up latly but they have caught up with demand they even have wwb and remington value boxes back down here at the santee walmart.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:25 PM

I just got back from Manteca Walmart. The clerk told me some guy an hour earlier bought all the .223 remington value boxes that they had just stocked. A little over $800.00 worth. They had one box of .40 and a couple of smaller boxes of UMC .223. That's crazy, someone would have to really gouge to make a profit at those prices. I'm glad I kept a good supply of ammo.
Old 03-04-2009, 4:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elSquid View Post
The market dictates the price. If somebody can make a buck in this manner, more power to 'em.

-- Michael
That's called "Laissez Faire" economics and it is what caused the economic collapse we are curently in. Un fettered greed is NOT good and people can never be trusted to act honorably when given a chance to gouge.

eg, AIG, shearson lehman, halliburton, enron, etc

Last edited by bountyhunter; 03-04-2009 at 4:31 PM..
Old 03-04-2009, 4:53 PM

That is despicable. That is why I won't buy ammo from private parties unless it's the same prices as Walmart. I hate hustlers. They might as well go sell drugs with the rest of the low lives. Many times it's not even about making money, it's about stickin it to everyone else like "HAHA! I just sold you something I bought for less!". As you can tell, I probably don't like car salesman either, I feel no shame in cutting down their commission as close to zero as possible.
Old 03-04-2009, 5:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountyhunter View Post
That's called "Laissez Faire" economics and it is what caused the economic collapse we are curently in. Un fettered greed is NOT good and people can never be trusted to act honorably when given a chance to gouge.

So people are essentially bad, and only the state can save us?

eg Soviet Union, Cuba...

( I can do hyperbole as well! )

But seriously, how would you like to address the ammo price "problem"?

Forced rationing? Outlaw the private sale of ammuntion?

Perhaps Walmart is the bad guy for not raising the price of ammunition to market levels? After all, if Walmart "gouged", then there would be no price differential for private parties to exploit.

Of course, then folks would be complaining about Walmart and their gougin' ways.

-- Michael
Old 03-04-2009, 6:59 PM
Banned

People are essentially dishonorable, and without seppuku and like rituals ingrained in our society, bad people will continue to be immune from consequences if not rewarded for their evil acts until they die natural deaths.
Old 03-04-2009, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBamBoo View Post
Uhh...this country is a CAPITALIST country....and that is what capitalist do...capitalize on situations like this one.

You could always move to a socialist or communist country where everyone is "equal".

Here is a novel idea....if you do not like the prices....do not buy it! Simple as that.

Peace,Stan

To be exact, the USA is founded on the ideal of "free enterprise" and capitalism is a satanic religion which places money WAYYYYY in front of humanity. Free enterprise is what it is all about.

Good thing about it is that the ones who rape the market are showing themselves to be the scoundrels they are, openly which makes it easier to choose your company.
Old 03-04-2009, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smle-man View Post
sooner or later those who are trying to corner the market on ammo will suffer the same type of bubble pop just like the real estate market, the dot.com market, the Florida swamp land debacle and the Dutch tulip bulb mania.
i hope it comes sooner to them...
i always buy in bulk for the reason,so i can save money.
Old 03-04-2009, 8:44 PM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Just remember to shop smart, shop S-Mart!
Old 03-04-2009, 8:47 PM

Not to sound too Pollyanna-ish, but I try to temper my Wal-Mart buying with single-owner gunshops (not Turners) to keep them going. After all, WM won't sell the metal that SHOOTS to bullets...
Old 03-05-2009, 2:29 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountyhunter View Post

I wonder who agreed to all of those risky mortgages? The banks certainly didn't hold a gun to anyone's head. But that's besides the point. What do you propose instead of laissez faire economics? Gov't control? Are you kidding? Do you know what happens to things when the gov't gets involved? But again, we don't have laissez faire economics in the United States anymore, so laissez faire economics didn't really cause this mess then.