Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 02-25-2009, 9:17 AM

Default No Magazine Size Limit

See link below.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/publications/t...ggm2004_11.pdf

Can I take this to the bank?
Old 02-25-2009, 10:00 AM

Default Been true for years.

So long as you respect the three-round limit when hunting migratory birds, which is a Federal law, you're golden.

Assuming it's legally possessed, you can go after Bambi with a 30-round AK.

--Shannon

NB: Do not take your plug out of your shotgun when any migratory bird is in season, whether you're hunting for it or not. Big, ugly fines can result.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:08 AM

Default Close

Quote:
Originally Posted by tube_ee View Post
So long as you respect the three-round limit when hunting migratory birds, which is a Federal law, you're golden.

--Shannon
3 rounds in a shot gun for anything except varmint. Then it is 6 rounds. Also, CA only allows 10 rnd. A 30 round AK to hunt Bambi would be illegal. Did you even read the whole article?

Last edited by skateboarder74; 02-25-2009 at 11:10 AM..
Old 02-25-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateboarder74 View Post
3 rounds in a shoot gun for anything except varmint. Then it is 6 rounds. Also, CA only allows 10 rnd. A 30 round AK to hunt Bambi would be illegal. Did you even read the whole article?

California only allows you to currently purchase 10 rounders, if you had that 30 rounder pre ban - you are fine using it. Did you read the laws, or any of teh many hi cap mag threads on here?? ;-)

NRA Life, CRPA Life, SASS Life, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, FSC Instructor
Old 02-25-2009, 11:20 AM

Default Principal Skinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSkinner View Post
California only allows you to currently purchase 10 rounders, if you had that 30 rounder pre ban - you are fine using it. Did you read the laws, or any of teh many hi cap mag threads on here?? ;-)
Yes, I have read the threads. What does that have to do with hunting? This is not a thread about CA legal Hi-cap mags. It is about magazine size limits when hunting. And if anybody knows what the actual limit is when hunt game and not varmint. I am sorry if I was unclear.
Old 02-25-2009, 1:17 PM

Many states do have magazine restrictions but after a quick search at www.dfg.ca.gov I couldn’t find any restrictions here in Ca. With that said the goal of any ethical hunter should be to quickly and humanely dispatch the game you’re hunting. If you can’t get it done with a five round mag, then you need more range time IMHO. I encounter bikers, hikers, and campers every time I hunt on public land many of which do not support my hunting on BLM and National Forest land. It is our responsibility to represent hunters in a positive way every time we go to the field. Hunters already face enough challenges from anti hunting organizations, emptying a 30rd mag into a game animal would only feed their cause.

Last edited by Trapper; 02-25-2009 at 4:32 PM..
Old 02-25-2009, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateboarder74 View Post
Yes, I have read the threads. What does that have to do with hunting? This is not a thread about CA legal Hi-cap mags. It is about magazine size limits when hunting. And if anybody knows what the actual limit is when hunt game and not varmint. I am sorry if I was unclear.
Not meaning to be a jerk, but - If you knew, you shouldn't have asked! **You** said California only allows 10 round cap - To which I replied that the only 10 round cap limit in California is for purchase/trade of magazines, and that the 30 round is legal for hunting.

Unless you are just trolling, if you ask for answers, you should listen to the posters' answers to your questions! If you wanted the actual code, you shoudl have search the F&G site first, and then the State code sites second. Otherwise what you get is people saying stuff, just like above! Know if you wanted to DEBATE whether it shoudl be legal or is ethical or practical - thats a whole nutter matter...

Understand that the answer to your question is that if you have a 30 round, or a linked belt of 200, it is technically legal. California has no magazine limits (other than the shotgun federal stuff) based on usage. I am sure they figured they had it under control with the 10 round limits on purchasing and and teh "AWB" crap!

Old 02-25-2009, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
Many states do have magazine restrictions but after a quick search at www.dfg.ca.gov I couldnít find any restrictions here in Ca. With that said the goal of any ethical hunter should be to quickly and humanely dispatch the game youíre hunting. If you canít get it done with a five round mag, then you need more range time IMHO. I encounter bikers, hikers, and campers every time I hunt on public land many of which do not support my hunting on BLM and National Forest land. It is our responsibility to represent hunters in a positive way every time we go to the field. Hunters already face enough challenges from anti hunting organizations, emptying a 30rd mag into a game animal would only feed their cause.

+1.

Old 02-25-2009, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tube_ee View Post

--Shannon

NB: Do not take your plug out of your shotgun when any migratory bird is in season, whether you're hunting for it or not. Big, ugly fines can result.
This would be VERY hard to accomplish, since Bambi died a while back.
Old 02-25-2009, 7:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBreya View Post
This would be VERY hard to accomplish, since Bambi died a while back.
Then Bambi isn't moving so, it would be easier!
Old 02-26-2009, 7:19 AM

Default Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSkinner View Post
Not meaning to be a jerk, but - If you knew, you shouldn't have asked! **You** said California only allows 10 round cap - To which I replied that the only 10 round cap limit in California is for purchase/trade of magazines, and that the 30 round is legal for hunting.

Unless you are just trolling, if you ask for answers, you should listen to the posters' answers to your questions! If you wanted the actual code, you shoudl have search the F&G site first, and then the State code sites second. Otherwise what you get is people saying stuff, just like above! Know if you wanted to DEBATE whether it shoudl be legal or is ethical or practical - thats a whole nutter matter...

Understand that the answer to your question is that if you have a 30 round, or a linked belt of 200, it is technically legal. California has no magazine limits (other than the shotgun federal stuff) based on usage. I am sure they figured they had it under control with the 10 round limits on purchasing and and teh "AWB" crap!
Thank you. I apologize for my poor communication. If I wanted a debate it would not be at this site. You have answered my question and I appreciate you taking the time to do that.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:58 PM

I have a friend that likes to set people up with questions which he knows the answers to also. He can debate a losing battle for days. I would think This was him, except he goes by another name on here. There's always one of these guys, whether its an online forum, in a class, usually has his hands up in class every 10 minutes, supermarket, gun store, fishing or hunting trip.
Old 02-26-2009, 1:55 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

I use 20s in my AR to hunt yotes. A lot easier to shoot prone with than the 30s.