Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 02-24-2009, 5:06 AM
In Memoriam

Default What do you guys look for in a trainer?

All things being equal what makes you take one training class over another?

Myself, anybody can teach shooting. If I'm going to a class on tactics or whatever you want to call it. I want the teacher to have been there done that. If they haven't seen the elephant at least I want them to have survived a couple of gun fights. I don't want somebody teaching me that has been to all the schools and read all the books. I can do that.

I'm not saying you can't learn from them but I'd feel more comfortable from somebody that has done it. ( and knows how to present the course and material)

When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.
Old 02-24-2009, 5:13 AM

Training, education and mindset all come to mind....in addition to experience, ability and preparation.
But of the most value to the students, is the ability of the instructors to teach. An Instructors' job is to impart the knowledge, develop the skills and abilities of his students in a way that will be understood and retained by the student....that’s that the measure of an instructor’s success.....the success of his students...

Last edited by Mesa Defense; 02-24-2009 at 5:41 AM..
Old 02-24-2009, 6:24 PM

I would look at the skills of the trainer/instructor. Someone with real world experience under pressure has different thought processes that would come to mind that someone that hasn't "...been there done that..." would lack. We're all guilty of thinking that we could do better than whoever we see on the news, tv, etc. I would expect a champion is gaming to be good and have good tips, techniques, etc, however going into a hostile area, or a building and doing CQB would have more real-world experience to pass along that may help in a real situation. I'm not discounting some trainers, however going to ITTS would be more useful to me that listening to an LE firearms instructor "showing me how to handle a weapon". Just my .02 I've read some books, but that doesn't make up for experience in the field. If someone is looking for basic weapon safety, handling, loading, shooting positions, etc., they can buy a book such as Gabe Suarez's book on the tactical police carbine and get most of the information that many instructors are going to charge you for, except the book cost less than $20 on Amazon.com.

Last edited by Prowler; 02-25-2009 at 5:51 PM..
Old 02-26-2009, 11:28 PM
In Memoriam

Mesa great points all of them and they all makes sense, but I still need a been there done that guy if I'm going to learn tactics, and mind set.

When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.
Old 02-27-2009, 2:37 PM

IMO, the most important thing is to have a good match between your expectations/desires and the trainer.

If someone needs help with fundamentals, there are probably a variety of trainers who could help with that and BTDT is not necessarily a prerequisite. If someone wants to train specifically for competitive shooting, you'd want someone who is a great competitive shooter not necessarily BTDT. e.g. I don't think Todd Jarrett or Rob Leatham have any "real world" tactical experience but I'm quite sure I could learn a lot about shooting from them.

If one wants to learn gunfighting/tactics/etc, I'd definitely shy towards BTDT operators.

And surely the ability to be a good teacher is key, as a great operator/shooter who is not good at teaching won't be that helpful.

But the match is definitely key. Was just hearing about how Vickers stresses accuracy very keenly more so than speed, about how Gonzales can tend to thrash his students a bit, etc. Magpul guys have their "efficiency, consistency, reality" bywords and stress dynamism & balance of speed & accuracy. You just need to know what you're getting and what you think you need - and go with the appropriate trainer. And then train with as many more of them as you can!!

Just took a Magpul course and was very struck by the emphasis and discussion around mindset which underlies effective gunfighting (or even life if you want to abstract it further).
Old 02-27-2009, 4:40 PM

esskay,

Well said.
Old 02-27-2009, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy View Post
Mesa great points all of them and they all makes sense, but I still need a been there done that guy if I'm going to learn tactics, and mind set.
+1 on that
Old 02-27-2009, 9:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Exclamation Train with the Experts at I.T.T.S.

I have to plug ITTS and Scotty Reitz again....Excellent Instructor, BTDT several times, knows how to train L.E. and Civilians, and has an excellent and professional demeanor. Check them out at www.InternationalTactical.com

Tell him Bill sent you and he'll charge you extra!!!
Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Law Enforcement Instructor
CCW USA FIREARMS TRAINING
www.CCWUSA.com
"like us" on Facebook for class discounts
www.facebook.com/CCWUSA
Old 02-27-2009, 10:04 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCWUSA View Post
I have to plug ITTS and Scotty Reitz
Is he still running the mullet perm from the ITTS video?