Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member

Carla,

Remember to bring your Colt SAA. I'll bring a box of 45LC and my 45LC derringer. Better wear a glove!

"You know the real difference between you and me?"
"Yeah. Denial."

Toys I'm looking for (PPT/used): Thompson Contender receiver and barrels
Cashback sites:
Huntin Obessesion / Active Junky / Dvor / Ebates
Stuff for sale:
WTS P80 Spectre, Crimson Trace (P228/P229) Formica Sample Case
Old 05-09-2009, 1:25 AM

sirgiles,

Re shot sizes for shotgun shooting at the 10th St. range.

Shotgun slugs strike with a lot more energy at close range than do pistol bullets, so there's a fair chance that they might somewhat deform the wear plates on the backstop......for this reason, the 'standing orders' for range use there forbid shotgun slugs.

Birdshot and buckshot have historically been acceptable, but I'd be a bit wary of 000 buck.

Would you be willing to use birdshot mostly, and, if you wish to fire a few familiarisation rounds with the 000, wait until just before we close down for the night, when there will be fewer attendees there?

(if you wish to do some familiarisation fire with your shotgun, and have no birdshot, we can supply some, assuming 12 ga.)

cheers

Carla
Old 05-09-2009, 11:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Great outting tonight, good to see so many new faces out there tonight! It was a balst literally Thanks again for having us over tonight and giving us a good place to practice and show our love for the sport of target shooting. I feel robbed of my 1st place trophy, shame on the judges for doing the point count wrong! Okay just kidding it was still a great night, see you all again soon

-Gio
Old 05-10-2009, 11:49 AM

Oh yea another fun night thanks for let us use tha range. Gio thanks let Alice and I use your weapens. I think i left my forks and my cooking wear there? Oh yea Who burn the burger? haha jk
Old 05-10-2009, 3:53 PM
Veteran Member

Default Lost/Misplaced Items after the Saturday Eve Shoot

So much fun! My friends had a lot of fun. The shotguns sort of rattle them. Too much boom! Thanks to Everyone for making it a great evening!

In everyone's haste to clean up the range and go home, someone tossed into my range bag:

two (2) ten round Butler Creek magazines

Whoever is missing their mags, I have them. If you need them right away, PM me.

Also, someone accidentally packed up my egg crate foam that goes into my pistol cases (now everything is rattling in it).

This is like a typical party/BBQ/gathering - someone is always leaving something behind! If you have someone else's stuff, bring them to the next shoot.

"Yeah. Denial."

Cashback sites:
Stuff for sale:

Last edited by RogueSniper; 05-10-2009 at 4:29 PM.. Reason: update
Old 05-10-2009, 8:43 PM

I m missing the 2 butler creek mags been looking for it all night couldn t find it.figure it mixed up in somebody bag .i ll pick it u at the next shoot
Old 05-11-2009, 1:40 PM

Hello, everyone,

I'd like to extend a big 'THANK YOU' to all of you who made the Second Saturday event so nicely successful........ : )

Particular thanks to Mike, who provided the pie for the 'pie shoot', and a lot of 22 rounds for the newbies, and to Alice, who did those excellently cartooned targets.

Alice, would you be willing to make up some more of those target characters for the next event? (we'd re-emburse you for the cost of a set of felt markers in colours)

Howard, your utensils were left at the range, I have them here. Pls e-mail to remind me, and I'll bring them to the next event.

Rogue, if you mean two pieces apx 6"x8" or so of black egg-crate packing material, they turned up on a table at the range, and were left there......I thought they might have been left by some other range user or group. I'll try to get down to the range, and put them aside for you, but some other Club member may think they are 'trash' from unpacking some item, and toss them out before I can get back there.

My little folding multi-screw driver tool is missing......could you look in your range bags for it? Its a little chrome or nickel-plated rectangular housing with several fold-out screw driver tips, including the torx for Leupold scope mounts.

Now, everyone, is there any aspect of the event we should have done differently, and/or what can we do to make the event better?

cheers

Carla
Old 05-11-2009, 2:10 PM

Carla,
It was my pleasure to help out. Looking forward to the next shoot. I know the tool your speaking of (I used it to get the holosight dialed) and I checked my bag, nope. And btw, my buddy and his son had an incredible time and will be joining me and the wife next time.

As for how to better the event, I am working on that. The re-active targets "should" be done by next shoot. It will be a 5 plate "ping & swing" target stand. Maybe some timed events on how long it takes to ring all 5? Different ranges, rifles vs. pistols, etc. I do not have one of those IPSC timers, but if someone does - maybe we could try to add another very friendly "competition" to the event.

Just a thought.

Regards,
Mike
Old 05-11-2009, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphodel View Post
Now, everyone, is there any aspect of the event we should have done differently, and/or what can we do to make the event better?
May I suggest a weekday night event? I'd like to meet some 2A people but since my wife doesn't like to shoot, I can't come to your Saturday events.

Mike, I have a shot timer that you're welcome to borrow. Pickup/Dropoff in north San Jose or Stanford U areas.
Old 05-11-2009, 6:20 PM
Veteran Member

I checked my bags, no multi-tool. Sorry. I'll ask my group if they saw it.

Can we hold off the shotgunning until later later in the evening? The shotgun is fun, but for the newbies, it can be nerve racking. I'm used to the noise and the shockwave, but my newbie shooters couldn't handle much more. They were wearing plugs and muffs, and they were still jumping from the soundwave.

I can't wait for the reactive targets, those will be fun!

"Yeah. Denial."

Cashback sites:
Stuff for sale:
Old 05-11-2009, 9:03 PM

Hello again, Rogue,

Thanks for looking for my little screw driver widget.....doubtless it will turn up in someone's range bag eventually....

Do you think that the shotguns might be a bit 'over-kill' for the indoor range?

After all, the event is primarily for the newbies, an introduction to shooting, and its not nice to traumatise them with too much 'boom'......so, either we don't do shotguns, or, maybe, when the barbecued munchies are ready, have the newbies outside for 'first chow call', and allow fifteen or twenty minutes for shotgun fire then?

I'm open to whatever ideas will make the event better, so let me know what you think......should we try the next event without any shotgun fire?

cheers

Carla
Old 05-11-2009, 9:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Do you think that the shotguns might be a bit 'over-kill' for the indoor range?

After all, the event is primarily for the newbies, an introduction to shooting, and its not nice to traumatise them with too much 'boom'......so, either we don't do shotguns, or, maybe, when the barbecued munchies are ready, have the newbies outside for 'first chow call', and allow fifteen or twenty minutes for shotgun fire then?
Actually, that sounds much more ideal for the newbies. While the newbies are outside munching away and chatting with other experienced shooters, some of the other shooters (and newbies) can do some shotgunning. Later in the evening, we can return to shotguns after doing some pistol/rimfire rifle practice.

Thanks, Carla.

"Yeah. Denial."

Cashback sites:
Stuff for sale:
Old 05-19-2009, 11:51 AM

HI, Rogue,

Your two pieces of egg-crate foam from your pistol case had been carefully put aside on a shelf at the range. I brought them home, and have them on my desk now.

Please e-mail to remind me, and I'll bring them to the next second Saturday event.

By the way.......Elaine and I will be opening the 200 yard side at Metcalf, this coming Sunday, for the usual fourth Sunday public access day.......you're invited, as our guest....meaning no range fee, but you get to help with target handling, etc.....let me know......

cheers

Carla
Old 06-01-2009, 7:20 PM

Hi all Alice will love to draw more pictures on the cardbord at the next event! She had lots of fun doing that. Unfortunately we would't be able to make to the 6/13 event. we are going camping hope this will not happen to us

Last edited by howard81; 06-01-2009 at 7:56 PM..
Old 06-04-2009, 5:08 PM

Hi, Howard and Alice,

Enjoy your camping....... : )

Hopefully, we'll see you for the July second Saturday event.

Alice, if you are able to find large cardboard boxes to cut up, or other large pieces of cardboard, and can cartoon up some really ugly monsters for us, I'd be grateful.......I was just so very impressed with the quality of your cartoon work......it almost seemed a shame to use it for targets. Could we negotiate having you do some nicely cartooned range safety posters, when convenient?

For info, the August second Saturday event will be an all-day open house/barbecue/potluck event, from early afternoon, til however late we feel like keeping going.

The Rifle Club juniors programme will be doing a barbecue/potluck/rewards/medals/recognition event for their people in the morning, until about 2-ish PM, then we're doing the 'open house/etc. event from then on.

cheers

Carla
Old 06-04-2009, 10:55 PM

Hmm..I think my GF would love to shoot with other females. I'll see if we can make it to the next event.
Old 06-09-2009, 7:41 PM
Veteran Member

Saturday is coming up really soon! I'm trying to get my female cousins to come out and shoot. My sister can't make it this time, so, there will be a new Queen (or King) of Pies on this outing!

Edit:
No one can make it. I'll try some of my other shooters.

Last edited by RogueSniper; 06-11-2009 at 8:53 PM..
Old 06-11-2009, 8:56 PM
Veteran Member

I'll bring some extra cardboard for our targets. The shotties pretty much blew away everything we had last time.

I'll bring a bag of charcoal, lighter fluid and I'll try to find my BBQ tools. Howard left his there last time.
Old 06-12-2009, 2:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Man it's almost time again to get together with friendly people and have a good time Too bad I have not been able to find more CCI Blazer for my .22LR AR but I still a little left. Hope to see some new faces out tomorrow nite

-Gio
Old 06-12-2009, 5:36 PM

Hi, Rogue, Gio, and everyone,

We have Howard's barbecue tools here.......but I've mis-placed them in the clutter in my kitchen.......I'll bring some barbie tools, whether Howard's or ours.

Should I bring both barbies, the heavy one of ours, and the smaller round 'Smokey Joe', or just one, and, if so, which one? We've half a sack of charcoal, so bringing some charcoal would be nice.

We've frozen hamburger patties, which I'll take out to thaw tonight, and hot dogs......would anyone care to provide buns, or should we? We have ketchup, mustard, relish, etc.

Who wants to pick up a nice high quality pie from a good bakery? (we'll pay back what it costs)

I'll bring some 22's, and we've the remains of a couple bricks of donated 22 rounds, probably the equivalent of a full brick or close to it.

I'll bring the riot Ithica, and some 12ga rounds, if its decided that we'd like to do some shotgun fire......good experience for newbies, I think, but there's no question but that a shotgun is rather loud in the indoor range.

Who will bring some other 'potluck munchies', and what would you like to bring?

I'm thinking that the 'pie shoot' was a bit confusing for some, as we did it before, so I'm thinking now that we simply use a single bull standard target, same ten shots, best five shots counted for score, and shooters to use their choice of any iron sight 22 available there (with the owner's permission, of course)

How does that sound to you?

We have one of those folding shade canopies, which is.....I think....about six or eight foot square when opened......should we bring it, to go over the picnic table, or as a shade area, if someone would care to bring folding chairs?

Remember.......this event is 'outreach' for 'newbies', not just free range time and munchies for gun freaks.....so bring some 'newbies, particularly women who would like the opportunity to feel 'safe and comfortable' at a range......

I got the Rifle Club Board 'sold' on the idea of providing free use of the range for this event on grounds that it is 'outreach' for new shooters, so we have to 'play fair' with that purpose, and all do our bit to provide good basic safety/proficiency training for the new shooters, as well as just having a good time doing some plinking.

What else can you think of, to make the event more enjoyable for all?

cheers

Carla
Old 06-13-2009, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member

It was good meeting everyone there tonight. I had a blast and I hope some of the new shooters that came tonight had a blast as well.
"You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Admiral Yamamoto
USS Hornet ARC Member.

Join today?
Old 06-13-2009, 11:55 PM
Banned

I had fun too! I was the guy shooting the (legal) Cobray evil pistol. I'll try and bring some newbies next time!

Old 06-14-2009, 12:25 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by domokun View Post
It was good meeting everyone there tonight. I had a blast and I hope some of the new shooters that came tonight had a blast as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
I had fun too! I was the guy shooting the (legal) Cobray evil pistol. I'll try and bring some newbies next time!

Thanks for coming out guys and letting us use your pistols Nice seeing you guys again, hope your Pho was good Kevin

-Gio
Old 06-20-2009, 1:32 PM

Smile hi!

howdy!

i finally decided to join Calguns, so here i am, first post and stuff. my name is Emilio, and i'm an RSO and impromptu instructor for the 2nd Saturday outreach and 4th Sunday 200yd shoots. i'm pretty internet anti-social - few forums, no MySpace/Facebook - but this is an important community for California and our local events.

so, thank you all for coming out to the outreach event/newbshoot! it's a big help to have more food/guns/ammo/expertise for new folks and youngsters to enjoy, and the range cleanup assistance is also invaluable after a long day.

this is a small but important event at this time and place for our second amendment rights: we cannot hope to turn California around in one swift event from a wunderkind politician or wild voter swing. however, large and diverse urban areas like the Bay, Sacramento, and the Los Angeles metro can foster shooting sports and second amendment awareness for new communities and generations. we can "win" by returning America to a place where gun ownership is a normal part of life and responsibility, not limited by politics or cultural divides. (i say "win" because it's weird to think of "us" vs. "them", when it's really "everyone's rights" vs. "bad solutions to violent crime".)

ah, but enough of that. see you on the line!
- emilio
Old 06-20-2009, 6:06 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, Emilio! He is one cool dude!

"Yeah. Denial."

Cashback sites:
Stuff for sale:
Old 07-10-2009, 9:27 AM

Hello, everyone,

The 'Second Saturday' range event for July will be happening tomorrow, beginning around 4:30 (1630)-ish at the old 10th St. range

Barbecue, potluck, plinking. and, hopefully, plenty of 'newbies'......

Alice, would you be able to make up a few more of your excellently cartooned targets?

cheers

Carla
Old 07-11-2009, 1:30 PM

Carla,
I am sorry but I will not be able to make this Saturday. My targets did finally arrive this afternoon. They will deffinately be making the dirve up with me for the next Saturday event. Here is a picture of one of the sets I now have.

I can't wait to see how they ping and swing...
Regards,
Mike
Old 07-11-2009, 3:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Heading out the door in 10 minutes should be another great day at the 10th Street Range, hope to see some more new faces

-Gio
Old 08-06-2009, 9:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Hi, Howard and Alice,

Enjoy your camping....... : )

Hopefully, we'll see you for the July second Saturday event.

Alice, if you are able to find large cardboard boxes to cut up, or other large pieces of cardboard, and can cartoon up some really ugly monsters for us, I'd be grateful.......I was just so very impressed with the quality of your cartoon work......it almost seemed a shame to use it for targets. Could we negotiate having you do some nicely cartooned range safety posters, when convenient?

For info, the August second Saturday event will be an all-day open house/barbecue/potluck event, from early afternoon, til however late we feel like keeping going.

The Rifle Club juniors programme will be doing a barbecue/potluck/rewards/medals/recognition event for their people in the morning, until about 2-ish PM, then we're doing the 'open house/etc. event from then on.

cheers

Carla
So this Saturday we going to be doing this at 2 PM or so? I can't wait for it to be Saturday already

I also still have those bullets I was talking to you aboutso shoot me a PM if you are still interested in them. I need the space in my room that they are taking up

-Gio
Old 08-07-2009, 7:11 PM

HI, Gio,

I won't promise that we'll actually be there by 2PM.......it may be more like 3-ish, as we plan to be stopping at the store for burgers, buns, soft drinks, ice, etc, at a local store which will be on our way......so we can avoid having another 'adventure' like the 'Sino-American Fire Drill' of the previous event.....and we may get going a bit later than planned.....but we'll be there.

Please do bring the bullet collection.........I'll have to do some thinking about what we really need, but I shall ask some friends, as well, so, presumably, we'll find good homes for your projectiles.

cheers

Carla
Old 08-08-2009, 12:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Anyone else coming out to this? Hope to see some more new faces

-Gio
Old 08-08-2009, 4:27 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry, I can't make it this time. I'll be up at Stormfeather's house for his welcome home bash.
"You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Admiral Yamamoto
USS Hornet ARC Member.

Join today?
Old 08-10-2009, 5:56 PM
Veteran Member

Good shoot this last time ... because I won the pie/cake shoot! Actually I was placed second but Leggsman couldn't stay.

Quote:
At the end of the evening Leggsman scored the Highest points, with a 38. With this honor comes the responsibility to assume the duties of Pie/Cake Shoot Winner of August 2009, if the titleholder for some reason cannot fulfill his/her duties, the responsibilities falls on the First Runner Up.
Gee, just like Miss Universe! hahaha!

I left half a box of bulk Winchester 333 .22LR. Whoever picked it up, bring it to our next event and add it to our shooting event ammo cache.

Thanks, Carla for another great event. You ROCK!

I really liked the Twinkie shoot. That was funny and tasty at the same time.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:45 AM

Hi, Rogue,

The half-boxful of Winchester 22 rounds you mention is here.......it got loaded out with the other 22.

I'll either mark 'Rogue' on it and keep it aside for you til next event, or you can tell me its donated for the young people, in which case it would go into the ammo can of misc 22 rounds we've been serving out to the newbies.......your choice, let me know.

(dunno whether you've noticed, but the newbies, generally, fire well over 1000 rounds of 22 at each of the 2nd Saturday events, as 'familiarisation fire'........which translates to not especially noticing that they are developing basic rifle skills when they are just 'having a good time' plinking the tennis balls and similar 'targets'......and, of course, how many of the experienced shooters can 'resist the temptation' to burn a few 22 rounds at the plinking targets?.....anyway, these events use a lot of 22 rounds)

This is a very different sort of 'introduction to rifle shooting' than is done by the Rifle Club's formal juniors programme, in which each young person is issued a small amount of match grade 22, and taught precision match target shooting, using a Club-owned (and amazingly expensive) precision match grade rifle.

(not that I'm suggesting that either is 'better' or 'worse' or more or less 'desirable'.......formal rifle training and a 'fun shoot' are just 'different', thats all.........hopefully, some number of the 'newbie' shooters will go on into serious target shooting, after enjoying some 'fun plinking'......but, thats up to them........even more 'hopefully', a few might become motivated to become 2A activists, and, possibly, join the Rifle Club, to help us keep the old range open and running)

Thank you....... a big 'thank you' for yourself and all the others who have participated in these events........and, especially, have done the surprisingly large amount of 'clean up' work at the close of the event.

When we started these events, we had no idea as to whether enough people would be interested, to justify doing them.......now that you've been to a few, what do you think......are these events sufficiently enjoyable that we should plan to keep them going 'from now on'?

(understand, winter will be coming, when it won't be practical to barbecue, so we'll have to improvise with pizza or something instead.....will everyone be ok with that, do you think?)

And......again.....the important question......what can we do to make the event nicer or 'more fun' for the participants?

(regular 'Twinkie shoot'?......no problem......but would people become bored with Twinkies?......what else might people like?)

cheers

Carla

Last edited by Asphodel; 08-12-2009 at 11:48 AM..
Old 08-12-2009, 4:16 PM
Veteran Member

Definitely add the leftover .22 to our Newbie ammo cache. They need it if your calculation is correct about them burning through so much ammo.

We need more reactive targets. Paper just doesn't make that PING! noise or bounce around like the T-balls. We'll have to come up with something that isn't messy.

Our intro is much more fun and informal. Really, how much experience can you get from just shooting a handful of .22s? Maybe 50 rounds would do it.

I'm headed up to the Big Reno Show this weekend. Maybe I'll find something interesting for our group. Too bad we can't shoot those explosive targets. I remember a long time ago, the Range in Sacramento used to sell them. Small box - about the size of a pack of cigarettes - with a red bullseye. A proper shot would detonate it with a satisfying boom, flash, and confetti. It was a mess but lots of fun. Hmm, maybe a balloon filled with confetti? Paper is paper, right? I'll have to try this out next time. Inflate some small water balloons filled with confetti or baby powder? Maybe that will work?
Old 08-13-2009, 9:25 PM

HI all sorry had to leave early did not clean up last event. It was fun fun! How about small ballowns? fill with water?nitro gas? O2?
Old 08-14-2009, 12:16 PM

Sorry i had to leave early .Girlfriend got to be at work at 11.It was fun congrat to Rogue for winning the pie shoot.See you all at the next event.Again thanks Carla
Old 08-14-2009, 12:37 PM

Hey Rogue i m going to be in Reno on sunday for the gun show also.May be i see you there
Old 09-09-2009, 9:18 PM
Veteran Member

I'd like to confirm my reservations for three shooter this Saturday: two ladies, one gentleman, and lots of guns and ammo!

Same time as usual?
Old 09-10-2009, 11:21 PM

Hi, Rogue,

The 'second Saturday event' technically doesn't begin until 5PM (1700), but we'll actually be starting about 1600-ish, as there are usually few 'public hours' range users on Saturdays.

I'll be at the range just before 1400, as I'll be running the public hours, 1400 to 1700.

We'll be looking forward to seeing you and friends at the event...... : )

If you might have anything, such as small silhouettes, which would be good 22 'amusement' targets, please bring them.

cheers

Carla