Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:23 PM

Default How to transfer a handgun from father to son?

I was recently at my fathers old house helping him clean out his garage, and he found an old S&W .357 mod. 28-2 NYSP edition revolver he had forgotten about, and asked if i wanted it, and of course i said i would want it(hey, who wouldnt want a free gun)

Now what we are wondering though, since it is being given from my father to me, would it still have to be done as a PPT at an ffl? or is there another way of doing this since it is from my father? And if it matters, I am 20 right now, but as far as i know i am allowed to own a handgun as long as it is given to me by a parent

anyways, any help would greatly be appreciated, I am looking forward to my first revolver.

Thanks in advance

-brian
Old 02-11-2009, 11:33 PM
In Memoriam

Have him hand it to you. There is a form on the doj website you can fill out and mail in with some cash.

I'd stick with have him hand it to you. There is a form on the doj website you can fill out and mail in with some cash.

When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:37 PM
Calguns Addict

You must possess a HSC as well before the transfer.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:38 PM
Calguns Addict

heres the form.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf
Old 02-11-2009, 11:44 PM

thanks for the fast replies.

for the form, where i fill out all the personal information, would i just be listing my information then, and not even really have to put down my fathers personal info? I never imagined it would be so simple

for the HSC test, i have read the random study things for it in the past, and would i just go to a gunstore and pretty much just ask to take the hsc test? if thats the case, does anyone have a rough estimate on how much a store usually charges for it, if anything?

thanks again

-brian

oh yeah, on the form, in the box below resident street address, u guys have any idea what that says? it is all whited out, and i would hate to send in the form and be missing something important

Last edited by Sixer; 02-11-2009 at 11:47 PM..
Old 02-11-2009, 11:46 PM

I didn't think you needed an HSC for this, or to own a handgun, just to buy one through an FFL. I'm probably wrong????????
Old 02-11-2009, 11:46 PM

Takes about 3 weeks and you will receive a letter back from Caldoj. I have talked to them several times. Really nice believe it or not. Cost 19 dollars for up to three guns.

Easy and pain free.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBundo View Post
I didn't think you needed an HSC for this, or to own a handgun, just to buy one through an FFL. I'm probably wrong????????
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/hscfaqs.php#a14

Quote:
Do I need a Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) if I am receiving a handgun from my mother or father?

Yes. Prior to taking possession of the handgun, you must have a valid Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC). You must also report the transfer to DOJ, pursuant to Penal Code section 12078(c)(2)(A), within 30 days of the transfer. You may obtain Form FD4544A PDF logo [PDF 28 kb / 2 pg] for this purpose on this website.
also:

Quote:
Is a Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) required when a handgun is being loaned?

It depends on the specific circumstances. Generally, a person being loaned a handgun must have a current Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC). However, an HSC is not required when the loan does not exceed three days in duration and the person loaning the handgun is at all times within the presence of the person being loaned the handgun.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixer View Post
thanks for the fast replies.

for the form, where i fill out all the personal information, would i just be listing my information then, and not even really have to put down my fathers personal info? I never imagined it would be so simple

for the HSC test, i have read the random study things for it in the past, and would i just go to a gunstore and pretty much just ask to take the hsc test? if thats the case, does anyone have a rough estimate on how much a store usually charges for it, if anything?
# How much does the Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) cost?

The fee for taking the Handgun Safety Certificate Test and obtaining a Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) is twenty five dollars ($25). The $25 fee entitles you to take the test twice if necessary.

Tons of HSC info here

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/hscfaqs.php#General

It's all common sense really
Old 02-11-2009, 11:50 PM

Okay, thanks. You aren't required to keep your own current, are you?
Old 02-11-2009, 11:51 PM

sweet, thanks a lot guys

looks like im off to take a hsc test tomorrow or friday, and be heading to the range right after
Old 02-11-2009, 11:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Also on that page

Quote:
Mere possession/ownership of a personally-owned handgun does not require a Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC).
Old 02-12-2009, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi View Post
Takes about 3 weeks and you will receive a letter back from Caldoj. I have talked to them several times. Really nice believe it or not. Cost 19 dollars for up to three guns.

Easy and pain free.

Ii's $19.00 for any number of handguns. Just attach additional forms for more than 3.
Old 02-12-2009, 8:45 PM
Banned

Intrafamilial transfer. Search here for that phrase and you'll find about 19 topics about it. Comes up every couple days.
Old 02-12-2009, 8:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default devil's advocate

Knowing what I know now and with our current political climate I would not have any firearms that required paperwork of any kind if I didn't have any yet. Perhaps your father could just hand write a letter stating he wants you to inherit this revolver. Then maybe he could store it safely somewhere and show you where it is.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:22 PM

On a similar matter........

I've got a friend whose father passed away a number years ago. He would like to sell me his father's pistol.

Would he need to get the father-son transfer thing taken care of before he can private party sell to me (through an FFL, of course)? If so, would he have to provide a death certificate to the doj to verify his legal possesion? Or can we just go into an FFL dealer and make the transfer to me?

I'm a little confused on this one.

thanks
-ppknut
Old 09-14-2009, 1:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppknut View Post
On a similar matter........

I've got a friend whose father passed away a number years ago. He would like to sell me his father's pistol.

Would he need to get the father-son transfer thing taken care of before he can private party sell to me (through an FFL, of course)? If so, would he have to provide a death certificate to the doj to verify his legal possesion? Or can we just go into an FFL dealer and make the transfer to me?

I'm a little confused on this one.

thanks
-ppknut

Nothing needed. Just transfer as normal and the guns will then be registered to you.

You do not need to register a gun before you can sell it.

and

If you're in a survival movie and the hot blond twists her ankle and can't walk, you damn well figure a way to carry her. If it's a dude, you shake his hand and say "best of luck".
Old 09-14-2009, 3:47 PM

Thanks.

I was just concerned that the item had never gone through the doj for the father/son transfer. I thought this was required for a son to "officially" take possession, with the $19 fee...............

I guess it shouldn't be a problem if the son had not arranged for this.

-ppknut

ETA: the item in question had been voluntarily registered with the local PD in 1992, if that makes a difference?

Last edited by ppknut; 09-14-2009 at 3:48 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 09-14-2009, 4:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppknut View Post
Thanks.

I was just concerned that the item had never gone through the doj for the father/son transfer. I thought this was required for a son to "officially" take possession, with the $19 fee...............

I guess it shouldn't be a problem if the son had not arranged for this.

-ppknut

ETA: the item in question had been voluntarily registered with the local PD in 1992, if that makes a difference?
There are many handguns out there that have not been registered. They didn't require it till 91 I think. I know that is when PPT through a FFL started. So everything bought before then is still unregistered.

Your friend depending on when he got the guns should have registered them, but it won't matter when he PPTs them to you, as they will be registered then.

and

If you're in a survival movie and the hot blond twists her ankle and can't walk, you damn well figure a way to carry her. If it's a dude, you shake his hand and say "best of luck".
Old 09-15-2009, 5:40 AM

Quote:
If you mean having an updated HSC to keep your guns, then no. HSC is just required for purchase/transfer of handgun not proof of ownership.