Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-11-2009, 9:10 PM
diginit's Avatar
diginit diginit is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Santa Clara,Ca
Posts: 3,345
iTrader: 77 / 100%
Default Second Ammendment March

http://secondamendmentmarch.com/
I know the main march is in D.C. Scheduled for 2010, But other marches are planned to coincide in various states. Has anyone heard of any local marches? (SF Bay Area) If not, Maybe we, as Calgunners, could form a local march on the same date. I'm willing to walk to make a peaceful statement on firearm ownership. But alot of people would have to attend, dress, and act like responsible citizens, in order to make any sort of noticable statement and recieve the proper media coverage.
This is just a thought. I'm hoping someone in the know will reply to this post.
__________________
Anyone Can Get An Illegal Gun
.
We Cannot Leave Ourselves Defenseless!


The DOJ knows that two guys with semi autos that have a folding or collapsable stock, or pistol grip could take out California's entire police force, SWAT, and the National Guard. Jeeze, that pistol grip and stock are really dangerous...

Last edited by diginit; 02-11-2009 at 9:13 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-11-2009, 9:24 PM
CCWFacts CCWFacts is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,671
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

No, please no, please don't support this. These things are so bad for gun owners. There can 1,000 gun owners who are a diverse group of mild-mannered professionals and they'll find the one guy there who is wearing cammos and talks about how he needs guns to fight against illegal immigrants and the homosexual agenda, and guess what, that's the one interview that makes the news.

Please, no marches, no rallies.

If you want to see how bad gun owners can look when they cherry-pick the worst one, go to Youtube.com and search for "Bruno gun show" and click the first link. I'm not going to embed it here because maybe it's just a little over the edge of what's acceptable here, but it's both very funny, and also shows how horrible gun owners can look on camera. Yes, admittedly, "Bruno" (Sasha Baron Cohen) is an absolute master of extracting embarassingness from people, but even the mainstream media do, just with more subtlety.
__________________

Last edited by CCWFacts; 02-11-2009 at 9:27 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-11-2009, 9:43 PM
7x57's Avatar
7x57 7x57 is offline
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 5,161
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCWFacts View Post
but it's both very funny, and also shows how horrible gun owners can look on camera.
I don't know, the guy in the video (if I found the same one) had the same advice that you are giving: "be careful what you say. Be *very* careful what you say."

Who can argue with that?

7x57
__________________


What do you need guns for if you are going to send your children, seven hours a day, 180 days a year to government schools? What do you need the guns for at that point?-- R. C. Sproul, Jr. (unconfirmed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulgron View Post
I know every chance I get I'm going to accuse 7x57 of being a shill for LCAV. Because I can.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-11-2009, 9:55 PM
CCWFacts CCWFacts is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,671
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
I don't know, the guy in the video (if I found the same one) had the same advice that you are giving: "be careful what you say. Be *very* careful what you say."
Yeah he should have taken his own advice. But believe me, the media will find one guy like that in any crowd of gun owners.

We need to somehow persuade gun owners to stay away from such events.

You notice that the NRA is never involved with this stuff?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-11-2009, 10:07 PM
SwissFluCase's Avatar
SwissFluCase SwissFluCase is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Marin County
Posts: 1,325
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

I agree. Any public event we do should be about teaching new shooters how to shoot in a safe and efficient manner in a controlled environment. Think of an Appleseed type concept, but for complete newbies. Maybe we can even teach the nice reporter how to shoot.

The last thing we need is the TV crews picking out Bubba the insane gun whacko who just came in town from his Y2K cabin in the woods to broadcast his views on the best way to shoot illegal immigrants, overthrow the government, shoot down black helicopters, and help the south rise again. I've seen this first hand.

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No....

I rather do a drunken Calguns pub crawl than a hairy armpited no bathing "peace, love, and guns march" any day of the week.

Regards,


SwissFluCase
__________________
"We don't discuss the governor's arsenal in detail" - Brown spokeswoman Elizabeth Ashford
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-11-2009, 10:12 PM
7x57's Avatar
7x57 7x57 is offline
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 5,161
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissFluCase View Post
I rather do a drunken Calguns pub crawl than a hairy armpited no bathing "peace, love, and guns march" any day of the week.
Um. Wait. What's wrong with a "peace, love, guns" march? Well, except for the no-bathing armpit thing, of course.

7x57
__________________


What do you need guns for if you are going to send your children, seven hours a day, 180 days a year to government schools? What do you need the guns for at that point?-- R. C. Sproul, Jr. (unconfirmed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulgron View Post
I know every chance I get I'm going to accuse 7x57 of being a shill for LCAV. Because I can.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-11-2009, 10:13 PM
7x57's Avatar
7x57 7x57 is offline
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 5,161
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissFluCase View Post
I agree. Any public event we do should be about teaching new shooters how to shoot in a safe and efficient manner in a controlled environment. Think of an Appleseed type concept, but for complete newbies. Maybe we can even teach the nice reporter how to shoot.
Appleseed is happy to have complete newbies, and I think reporters can come. I definitely remember that elected officials always shoot free.

7x57
__________________


What do you need guns for if you are going to send your children, seven hours a day, 180 days a year to government schools? What do you need the guns for at that point?-- R. C. Sproul, Jr. (unconfirmed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulgron View Post
I know every chance I get I'm going to accuse 7x57 of being a shill for LCAV. Because I can.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-11-2009, 10:22 PM
SwissFluCase's Avatar
SwissFluCase SwissFluCase is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Marin County
Posts: 1,325
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
Appleseed is happy to have complete newbies, and I think reporters can come. I definitely remember that elected officials always shoot free.

7x57
I'll gladly pay for some of that ammo.

Regards,


SwissFluCase
__________________
"We don't discuss the governor's arsenal in detail" - Brown spokeswoman Elizabeth Ashford
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-11-2009, 10:56 PM
N6ATF N6ATF is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: East San Diego County, CA
Posts: 8,389
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-11-2009, 10:58 PM
MP301's Avatar
MP301 MP301 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Now in Las Vegas NV
Posts: 4,181
iTrader: 49 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissFluCase View Post
I agree. Any public event we do should be about teaching new shooters how to shoot in a safe and efficient manner in a controlled environment. Think of an Appleseed type concept, but for complete newbies. Maybe we can even teach the nice reporter how to shoot.

The last thing we need is the TV crews picking out Bubba the insane gun whacko who just came in town from his Y2K cabin in the woods to broadcast his views on the best way to shoot illegal immigrants, overthrow the government, shoot down black helicopters, and help the south rise again. I've seen this first hand.

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No....

I rather do a drunken Calguns pub crawl than a hairy armpited no bathing "peace, love, and guns march" any day of the week.

Regards,


SwissFluCase
I agree.... but there is one problem with this view.....what if the smarter of us stay home and the only ones to show up to one of these marches are the knuckle draggers! AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHH!

This would mean that we go from a high probability of getting the wrong media attention to a guaruntee that we get bad press!

Looking at it in this light, would it not be a good idea for as many of the "right" people show up for an event like this? We should do our best to educate our own about how to dress and act so as not to hurt our cause.

If that doesnt work, we could flank the knuckle draggers on all sides and try to hide the camoflauge from the camers? Or put an ad in the "Bubba Monthly" giving the wrong address for the march?

Tough situation I say!
__________________
Any Questions about Front Sight memberships or specific information about attending, Feel Free to send me a PM!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-11-2009, 11:36 PM
SwissFluCase's Avatar
SwissFluCase SwissFluCase is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Marin County
Posts: 1,325
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP301 View Post
I agree.... but there is one problem with this view.....what if the smarter of us stay home and the only ones to show up to one of these marches are the knuckle draggers! AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHH!

This would mean that we go from a high probability of getting the wrong media attention to a guaruntee that we get bad press!

Looking at it in this light, would it not be a good idea for as many of the "right" people show up for an event like this? We should do our best to educate our own about how to dress and act so as not to hurt our cause.

If that doesnt work, we could flank the knuckle draggers on all sides and try to hide the camoflauge from the camers? Or put an ad in the "Bubba Monthly" giving the wrong address for the march?

Tough situation I say!
Very valid point. What a mess...

Regards,


SwissFluCase
__________________
"We don't discuss the governor's arsenal in detail" - Brown spokeswoman Elizabeth Ashford
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-11-2009, 11:56 PM
Dr Rockso's Avatar
Dr Rockso Dr Rockso is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Jose
Posts: 3,710
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP301 View Post
I agree.... but there is one problem with this view.....what if the smarter of us stay home and the only ones to show up to one of these marches are the knuckle draggers! AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHH!

This would mean that we go from a high probability of getting the wrong media attention to a guaruntee that we get bad press!

Looking at it in this light, would it not be a good idea for as many of the "right" people show up for an event like this? We should do our best to educate our own about how to dress and act so as not to hurt our cause.

If that doesnt work, we could flank the knuckle draggers on all sides and try to hide the camoflauge from the camers? Or put an ad in the "Bubba Monthly" giving the wrong address for the march?

Tough situation I say!
I think the fact that this alleged march is still over 1 year away gives us some options on that front. If this is legitimized by circumstances (say the NRA gets onboard with the idea of a march due to pending legislation), then I think you'd see a lot more mainstream gunowners. If not, it will just be a few bubbas standing in front of the capitol, hardly enough to merit any real media attention. Of course if that's the case it might just be cancelled outright.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-12-2009, 12:24 PM
MP301's Avatar
MP301 MP301 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Now in Las Vegas NV
Posts: 4,181
iTrader: 49 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Rockso View Post
I think the fact that this alleged march is still over 1 year away gives us some options on that front. If this is legitimized by circumstances (say the NRA gets onboard with the idea of a march due to pending legislation), then I think you'd see a lot more mainstream gunowners. If not, it will just be a few bubbas standing in front of the capitol, hardly enough to merit any real media attention. Of course if that's the case it might just be cancelled outright.
Well, your asssuming only a "few" bubbas would show up... Im thinking a media field day if they get any kind of turn out...scary! everyone call your bubba friends and tell them to step away from the march!!!!
__________________
Any Questions about Front Sight memberships or specific information about attending, Feel Free to send me a PM!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-12-2009, 12:36 PM
7x57's Avatar
7x57 7x57 is offline
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 5,161
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_freeman View Post
...Public activities should be centered around **responsible** gun ownership, gun safety etc. offer a public seminar on safe storage of firearms in the home. How about a fun .22 shoot at the gun range for kids on the honor roll at school.
I'm not sure that centering on guns necessary or even optimal. For one thing, it is not a disruptive strategy. It is compatible with the "obsessed gunnie" stereotype--if gunnies were going to do a good thing, "it figures" that it would be about guns.

As an example of something more disruptive, I have a pleasant fantasy of going down to the local women's shelter or social services agency (I know, privacy and protection issues will put the kibosh on it somehow, let's not worry about that while brainstorming) and saying that I have a group that will (1) build backyard play equipment for the cost of lumber, (2) do handyman repairs, and/or (3) help provide outings to the zoo (transportation, probably guest passes from current members) for any single mothers who would like to request one.

I'm not sure I'd even mention any affiliation, in fact it might be just as well to create a group for this purpose so there is no explicit gunnie affiliation ("Part Time Dads" might work for a group name). I might not even wear NRA/Calguns/whatever t-shirts, so as not to make a big deal about it. You don't want to project an image of "I'm a gun owner, I'm doing this for publicity," but rather "I'm doing this because it's a good thing, why are you interested in my other hobby?"

*That* is disruptive, because the antis think gun owners are selfishly ignoring the overwhelming social need to get rid of guns for their stupid sport (or worse). It gives the lie to the stereotype and co-opts an issue they think belongs to them.

7x57
__________________


What do you need guns for if you are going to send your children, seven hours a day, 180 days a year to government schools? What do you need the guns for at that point?-- R. C. Sproul, Jr. (unconfirmed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulgron View Post
I know every chance I get I'm going to accuse 7x57 of being a shill for LCAV. Because I can.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Liberty1's Avatar
Liberty1 Liberty1 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,543
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Rockso View Post
say the NRA gets onboard with the idea of a march
This is the only way max turnout would happen. They will not do this however.

The antis don't care if we march and will not be swayed and such drama causes backlashes. What the "coalition" is working on legally in the courts is all that will work IMO along with peaceful open carry where it is lawful to already do so (post incorporation being the optimal environment). Once we get open carry in DC I'll be going for a vacation (sadly the monuments and museums will probably stay off limits).
__________________
False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
-- Cesare Beccaria http://www.a-human-right.com/
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-12-2009, 12:47 PM
CCWFacts CCWFacts is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,671
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP301 View Post
I agree.... but there is one problem with this view.....what if the smarter of us stay home and the only ones to show up to one of these marches are the knuckle draggers! AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHH!
It doesn't make any difference because there will always be at least one guy who will expound on his views that he needs to own guns to protect himself from the Zionist Occupation Government and the homosexual agenda and illegal immigrants and invisible pink unicorns. The the media interviewers will find that one guy and it will be his interview that gets aired.

The best thing to do is to make the event as small and un-news-worthy as we possibly can, by not showing up, not supporting it, and telling all of our friends to do the same.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Cypren Cypren is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Irvine
Posts: 293
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCWFacts View Post
It doesn't make any difference because there will always be at least one guy who will expound on his views that he needs to own guns to protect himself from the Zionist Occupation Government and the homosexual agenda and illegal immigrants and invisible pink unicorns. The the media interviewers will find that one guy and it will be his interview that gets aired.
There were a few comments in the Orange County Board of Supervisors meeting this week that hedged very dangerously close to being represented as this sort of thing; one speaker brought up the large number of illegal immigrants in California as a reason that we needed guns for self defense, which can trivially be twisted into a racist argument whether the speaker intended it that way or not.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-12-2009, 1:10 PM
tboyer's Avatar
tboyer tboyer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 631
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default How gun owner may become more visible

I think having a 2nd amendment contingent in a 4th of July or veterans day
parade would be a good thing,

The Alameda NRA member counsel marches in Alameda’s 4th of July parade.
and they get cheers.

As I have stated before, gun owners need to be more visible, perhaps
just a 2nd amendment march might make some people uncomfortable,
but if every parade had a 2nd amendment contingent, that would
be a vary good thing.

I started putting gun magazines in the magazine rack of my gym
(the manager is a friend) at first they would all disappear and a couple
of customers complained about them being there.

Now, no one complains and when one disappears , it’s probably
because some one took it home to read.

Also I purchased “celebrate diversity gun t-shirts
http://www.thoseshirts.com/diversity.html
for the three young staff employees of the gym,
which they do wear at work.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by swat View Post
Too bad they caved in to the homosexual lobby and their agenda of destroying the morals of our society. Just like some of the "pink pistols" folks are trying to do to CalGuns!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Substituting the word "love" for getting sexual pleasure from someone of the same sex, is simply dishonest.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-12-2009, 1:10 PM
SwissFluCase's Avatar
SwissFluCase SwissFluCase is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Marin County
Posts: 1,325
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypren View Post
There were a few comments in the Orange County Board of Supervisors meeting this week that hedged very dangerously close to being represented as this sort of thing; one speaker brought up the large number of illegal immigrants in California as a reason that we needed guns for self defense, which can trivially be twisted into a racist argument whether the speaker intended it that way or not.
Yep. Gun owners are our own worst enemy. I think there are lot of "John Wayne" type gun owners out there who haven't a clue how this Machiavellian game works, or they think they can simply stand up and "tell the truth by God" and blow their enemies away with their rhetoric.

The anti's aren't stupid. They know they are the cogs in a much larger and well thought out game with very high stakes. They study psychological warfare tactics, and using those some tactics against them doesn't always work.

Marching works for them. It won't work for us. Teaching people to shoot will work for us; that is a disaster for them.

Regards,


SwissFluCase
__________________
"We don't discuss the governor's arsenal in detail" - Brown spokeswoman Elizabeth Ashford
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-12-2009, 1:16 PM
SwissFluCase's Avatar
SwissFluCase SwissFluCase is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Marin County
Posts: 1,325
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboyer View Post
I think having a 2nd amendment contingent in a 4th of July or veterans day
parade would be a good thing,

The Alameda NRA member counsel marches in Alameda’s 4th of July parade.
and they get cheers.
No problem there. Arms and parades go together very well. A parade is a martial tradition that is embeded into the American culture quite well. It also isn't a media circus.

There are some subtle differences between parades and marches. I think we should draw a distinction between the two.

Regards,


SwissFluCase
__________________
"We don't discuss the governor's arsenal in detail" - Brown spokeswoman Elizabeth Ashford
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-12-2009, 1:19 PM
CSACANNONEER's Avatar
CSACANNONEER CSACANNONEER is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Thousand Oaks
Posts: 42,820
iTrader: 130 / 100%
Blog Entries: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissFluCase View Post
IThe last thing we need is the TV crews picking out Bubba the insane gun whacko who just came in town from his Y2K cabin in the woods to broadcast his views on the best way to shoot illegal immigrants, overthrow the government, shoot down black helicopters, and help the south rise again. I've seen this first hand.
Who said anything about SAS showing up?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-12-2009, 1:26 PM
bwiese's Avatar
bwiese bwiese is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Jose
Posts: 26,974
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCWFacts View Post
It doesn't make any difference because there will always be at least one guy who will expound on his views that he needs to own guns to protect himself from the Zionist Occupation Government and the homosexual agenda and illegal immigrants and invisible pink unicorns. The the media interviewers will find that one guy and it will be his interview that gets aired.

The best thing to do is to make the event as small and un-news-worthy as we possibly can, by not showing up, not supporting it, and telling all of our friends to do the same.
Yup.

Last year, one of our CA NRA staffers was called, the day Heller hit, for an "interview with an NRA dissenter who wore camoflauge".

The media is not looking for fair & balanced, they're looking for 'man bites dog' or sterotype reinforcements.
__________________

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-12-2009, 1:32 PM
Cypren Cypren is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Irvine
Posts: 293
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Last year, one of our CA NRA staffers was called, the day Heller hit, for an "interview with an NRA dissenter who wore camoflauge".

The media is not looking for fair & balanced, they're looking for 'man bites dog' or sterotype reinforcements.
Yeah. Mode of dress is a real pet peeve of mine -- it may be fun to wear T-shirts with bloody smileys, large pictures of weapons and political slogans on them while at the range, but when you show up to make a public statement, you need to dress in a fashion appropriate to serious public debate. That means a suit. No exceptions. You are not "standing up for your rights" by dressing like the media's stereotypical image of a gun-toting hick, you are destroying them by costing us the public relations battle. Unless we want a shooting war -- and I guarantee you, the only people who do are idiots who have never seen or gotten near one -- we need to win this by persuasion. And you do not persuade people by rubbing your positions, prejudices and views in their faces. "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." Public fora are Rome, and they have their standards and conventions. Adopt them. Learn to play the game. And for the sake of all that is holy, don't give our enemies any more ammunition just to satisfy your colossal ego.

Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-12-2009, 1:33 PM
Liberty1's Avatar
Liberty1 Liberty1 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,543
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboyer View Post
I think having a 2nd amendment contingent in a 4th of July or veterans day
parade would be a good thing,

The Alameda NRA member counsel marches in Alameda’s 4th of July parade.
and they get cheers.

As I have stated before, gun owners need to be more visible, perhaps
just a 2nd amendment march might make some people uncomfortable,
but if every parade had a 2nd amendment contingent, that would
be a vary good thing.
Local parades, with many community groups participating, IS the place to march if one wants to do so.

Yes we do need visibility and outreach at the local community level.

But lets concentrate on our natural born constituency; those who already own firearms. The Calguns gun show booth is that outreach. Calguns floats in parades is a down the road idea (I like the thought of an OLL color guard w/national and calguns flags).

But do support and march with an NRA members counsel parade unit!
__________________
False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
-- Cesare Beccaria http://www.a-human-right.com/

Last edited by Liberty1; 02-12-2009 at 1:40 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-12-2009, 1:39 PM
SwissFluCase's Avatar
SwissFluCase SwissFluCase is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Marin County
Posts: 1,325
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypren View Post
Yeah. Mode of dress is a real pet peeve of mine -- it may be fun to wear T-shirts with bloody smileys, large pictures of weapons and political slogans on them while at the range, but when you show up to make a public statement, you need to dress in a fashion appropriate to serious public debate. That means a suit. No exceptions. You are not "standing up for your rights" by dressing like the media's stereotypical image of a gun-toting hick, you are destroying them by costing us the public relations battle. Unless we want a shooting war -- and I guarantee you, the only people who do are idiots who have never seen or gotten near one -- we need to win this by persuasion. And you do not persuade people by rubbing your positions, prejudices and views in their faces. "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." Public fora are Rome, and they have their standards and conventions. Adopt them. Learn to play the game. And for the sake of all that is holy, don't give our enemies any more ammunition just to satisfy your colossal ego.

I'm sure there are plenty of idiots who do want a shooting war. It seems the most boorish gun owners are also the first ones to talk about shooting down black helicopters and such. Ugh.... They also have no problem telling the world that they are ready and eager to exterminate those who they view as a threat.

We don't need those people representing us. No way.

Regards,


SwissFluCase
__________________
"We don't discuss the governor's arsenal in detail" - Brown spokeswoman Elizabeth Ashford
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-12-2009, 5:38 PM
7x57's Avatar
7x57 7x57 is offline
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 5,161
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboyer View Post
I started putting gun magazines in the magazine rack of my gym
(the manager is a friend) at first they would all disappear and a couple
of customers complained about them being there.
You...put...

Quote:
Now, no one complains and when one disappears , it’s probably
because some one took it home to read.
Ooooohhhhh, *that* kind of magazine.

I've been reading calguns too much.

7x57
__________________


What do you need guns for if you are going to send your children, seven hours a day, 180 days a year to government schools? What do you need the guns for at that point?-- R. C. Sproul, Jr. (unconfirmed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulgron View Post
I know every chance I get I'm going to accuse 7x57 of being a shill for LCAV. Because I can.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-12-2009, 5:44 PM
7x57's Avatar
7x57 7x57 is offline
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 5,161
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty1 View Post
Local parades, with many community groups participating, IS the place to march if one wants to do so.
I realize suggesting discipline to gun owners is like attempting to pacify crazed weasels, but the Right Way to do this is to have a designated spokesman, whoever has the most experience with dealing with nakedly slanted coverage and the longest fuze. *Everybody* refuses to say anything to the press other than to refer them to the spokesman, no exceptions. If there are two qualified people there could be two spokesmen, but nobody not named a spokesman in advance speaks to the press.

For gunnies, being interviewed is a form of defensive warfare, and it needs to be handed off to the best suited person.

7x57
__________________


What do you need guns for if you are going to send your children, seven hours a day, 180 days a year to government schools? What do you need the guns for at that point?-- R. C. Sproul, Jr. (unconfirmed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulgron View Post
I know every chance I get I'm going to accuse 7x57 of being a shill for LCAV. Because I can.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-12-2009, 7:59 PM
Paladin's Avatar
Paladin Paladin is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SFBA
Posts: 8,050
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Has it been 6 months already? It seems like about twice a year someone in this subforum starts a "Let's stage a 2nd A RKBA protest/march/etc." thread. Oh well, it could be worse. It could be the "Let's get a (fill in the blank) proposition on the ballot!" thread that shows up every 3-4 months around here.

About the only thing like the above that I'd be willing to participate in is a UOC or LOC (depending upon Nordyke) march if and only if CGF and/or CalNRA/NRA says it will help our cause.

IMO, everybody who wants to participate in some other march would better serve our cause by taking all of the time, money and effort they would have expended upon it and donating that to one of the branches of the NRA (NRA, CalNRA, NRA-ILA) and/or CGN/CGF (see the link in my sig line).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty1 View Post
But lets concentrate on our natural born constituency; those who already own firearms. The Calguns gun show booth is that outreach.
If successful, CGN/CGF might want to expand to Outdoors or Sports & Boat Shows as well. I'm sure many of their attendants own guns too, but aren't as "low hanging fruit" as our closer allies that go to Gun Shows proper. IOW, they are a second priority target to be hit as resources allow.
__________________
Never mistake being delusional for being optimistic.

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 02-19-2009 at 8:19 PM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-12-2009, 8:13 PM
pat4wd pat4wd is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Berry Creek, Ca
Posts: 1,498
iTrader: 27 / 100%
Default

Yes, All the sheepal need to not stand up for their rights.. The time is coming that all good, normal people who are gun owners need to get out and show themselves.. The american people need to see the normal law abiding gun owner.. IMO all the People that only hide behind the courts and dont get out and spread the word are hurting us gun owners damn near as much as the anti gun owner.. Their will always be the idiot who brings us down as gun owners so it is all the more of a reason for all of us to get out there and show a good example.. But if the law abiding normal joe gun owner does not get out in Great numbers we are sure to put the noose around our own necks since that is all the media and public will see.... Get out and go to the marches..
__________________
Try out a AppleSeed... http://www.appleseedinfo.org/


Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Last edited by pat4wd; 02-12-2009 at 8:35 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-12-2009, 8:22 PM
7x57's Avatar
7x57 7x57 is offline
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 5,161
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
About the only thing like the above that I'd be willing to participate in is a UOC or LOC (depending upon Nordyke) march if and only if CGF and/or CalNRA/NRA says it will help our cause.
I entirely agree with not pulling things that the "good" leadership doesn't back. The NRA and CGF seem to do it right and not screw up, and as long as they keep it that way I regard them as the credible lead strategists. I don't follow losing generals, but I know enough to know that I'd better be able to follow winning ones.

I recall an interview with Nelson Mandela not long after he was released from prison (and before he had any real official leadership position), and when pressed on certain questions he keep repeating "I am a disciplined member of the ANC...." IIRC the point was that he knew ANC strategy and chain-of-command and would not deviate from it, even though at that point his word carried a lot of weight.

It's too bad we don't have that kind of coherence, but I guess it comes with having such a high proportion of "live free or die" types.

7x57
__________________


What do you need guns for if you are going to send your children, seven hours a day, 180 days a year to government schools? What do you need the guns for at that point?-- R. C. Sproul, Jr. (unconfirmed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulgron View Post
I know every chance I get I'm going to accuse 7x57 of being a shill for LCAV. Because I can.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-12-2009, 10:58 PM
wilit's Avatar
wilit wilit is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West
Posts: 4,992
iTrader: 40 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCWFacts View Post
No, please no, please don't support this. These things are so bad for gun owners. There can 1,000 gun owners who are a diverse group of mild-mannered professionals and they'll find the one guy there who is wearing cammos and talks about how he needs guns to fight against illegal immigrants and the homosexual agenda, and guess what, that's the one interview that makes the news.

Please, no marches, no rallies.
I have to respectfully disagree with the guys who say rallies like these are bad ideas because of how the media may portray us gun owners. We need to be heard. Sure there may be 200 million guns in America, however, most statistics I've read say those 200 million guns are owned by only 34 percent of Americans. That puts us in the minority, and sadly I think if it came to a vote tomorrow, I think the majority of Americans would vote with a collective 2A view. Gun owners are not the vocal minority or the silent majority, we seem to be the silent minority, and until we start showing the politicians that we're here, they're going to keep listening to the vocal idiots like the Brady Bunch and every other anti-gun group out there that makes their views known by hitting the streets.
__________________
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
"You have to be willing to swing your nuts like a deadblow hammer to put these jackasses in their place." - AJAX22
"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-12-2009, 11:20 PM
yellowfin's Avatar
yellowfin yellowfin is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 8,373
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilit View Post
Sure there may be 200 million guns in America, however, most statistics I've read say those 200 million guns are owned by only 34 percent of Americans. That puts us in the minority, and sadly I think if it came to a vote tomorrow, I think the majority of Americans would vote with a collective 2A view.
Reconfigure that number to consider how many Americans live in anti gun places. Take out the populations of DC, NYC, most of NJ, Chicago, Boston, LA, SF, and other places that heavily discourage and do darn near everything possible to make guns highly impractical to own or access. A disturbingly large percentage of people in the US live in anti gun areas; if you take that into account you'll see that a vastly larger percentage of Americans who have the free choice and freer access to do so are gun owners. Also take out from the population those under 18 (though even many legal gun owners take ownership of at very least their first ones before able to buy it for themselves), and those legally disqualified.

In short, those numbers are a bit loose--actual pro gun people are a MUCH higher percentage. If 34% of the total population own guns, it's probably more like 55-60% and above who do when they can.
__________________
"You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws. That's insane!" -- Penn Jillette
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiandave View Post
In Pennsylvania Your permit to carry concealed is called a License to carry fire arms. Other states call it a CCW. In New Jersey it's called a crime.
Discretionary Issue is the new Separate but Equal.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-12-2009, 11:29 PM
DDT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
iTrader: / %
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
I recall an interview with Nelson Mandela not long after he was released from prison (and before he had any real official leadership position), and when pressed on certain questions he keep repeating "I am a disciplined member of the ANC...." IIRC the point was that he knew ANC strategy and chain-of-command and would not deviate from it, even though at that point his word carried a lot of weight.
In all fairness deviating from ANC talking points carried a very heavy penalty. I believe the term is necklacing.

As for such a march it's a double edged sword. It is better to work in a coordinated fashion and the NRA and CGF have shown excellent leadership abilities. We are also on the precipice of some very good things in the legal system, there is every reason to believe the momentum is on our side.

However; if these marches are going to take place it would be better to flood them with the responsible gun owners and Second Amendment Activists rather than leaving it up to "the other guy" to act responsibly. The last thing you want is a crowd that is a "target rich environment" for the antis because the "good people" stayed home.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-13-2009, 4:22 AM
Eagle87Tango's Avatar
Eagle87Tango Eagle87Tango is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Barstow, CA
Posts: 395
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

To the people I see saying this is a bad idea...I'm appauled. Especially if you live in Kalifornia. You've seen first hand the slow paced chipping away of our second amendment freedom, but you're not willing to stand up and be counted to defend it. It's disgusting. It's the roll-over-and-die attitude like that that's going to give this administration what it wants.

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."
__________________
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-13-2009, 7:12 AM
7x57's Avatar
7x57 7x57 is offline
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 5,161
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDT View Post
In all fairness deviating from ANC talking points carried a very heavy penalty. I believe the term is necklacing.
You have me there--the ANC is not exactly a role-model, and I had to think for a while before I quoted that. And then more before I chose not to add a disclaimer. But then, I'm willing to repeat Mao's "barrel of a gun" quote too.

They would not have assassinated Nelson Mandala at that point, however, unless they are the stupidist revolutionaries alive. He was lionized by the international press. The murder would have been broadcast around the world and changed all the great press they were getting through him into a big mindshare liability.

Quote:
The last thing you want is a crowd that is a "target rich environment" for the antis because the "good people" stayed home.
I'm not convinced it matters a lot. All they need to find is one or two wackos, and I hope y'all won't take it amiss if I say that much as I love ya I've never seen a gathering of gun activists that didn't have one or two wackos.

Once they have the wackos it doesn't matter how many other people are there. They won't exist, as far as the news is concerned.

7x57
__________________


What do you need guns for if you are going to send your children, seven hours a day, 180 days a year to government schools? What do you need the guns for at that point?-- R. C. Sproul, Jr. (unconfirmed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulgron View Post
I know every chance I get I'm going to accuse 7x57 of being a shill for LCAV. Because I can.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-13-2009, 7:20 AM
7x57's Avatar
7x57 7x57 is offline
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 5,161
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle87Tango View Post
To the people I see saying this is a bad idea...I'm appauled. Especially if you live in Kalifornia. You've seen first hand the slow paced chipping away of our second amendment freedom, but you're not willing to stand up and be counted to defend it. It's disgusting. It's the roll-over-and-die attitude like that that's going to give this administration what it wants.

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."
Let's examine your implicit assumptions here. The doozy is that you somehow seem to believe that all action must be good and effective. This seems to be a common gun-owner delusion. In the real world, there are plenty of things you can do to make things worse. Just ask the black panthers who open carried in Sacramento. Or the people who destroyed several state-level RKBA provisions with bad lawsuits.

You also assume that because a person does not wish to hurt the cause with bad action, they won't take any action. You ascribe the motive to cowardice or sloth. Nuts. How many wars have been lost because the generals couldn't hold back the troops? Plenty. Bweise seems to have compiled a long catalog of self-inflicted damage gunnies have caused in California.

Recall that the 2A has two parts: the first part states a reason why the RKBA is so important that it should make the "short list" of specially protected rights. That reason is that the militia be "well-regulated," i.e. trained and disciplined when called up. That doesn't only mean knowing how to load your musket; it also means knowing how to maneuver under command and take orders. It means drilling on the town commons to achieve that discipline.

We have some way to go to meet the founder's intention that we be "well-regulated." Why are you advocating being further unregulated?

7x57
__________________


What do you need guns for if you are going to send your children, seven hours a day, 180 days a year to government schools? What do you need the guns for at that point?-- R. C. Sproul, Jr. (unconfirmed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulgron View Post
I know every chance I get I'm going to accuse 7x57 of being a shill for LCAV. Because I can.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-13-2009, 8:49 AM
DDT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
iTrader: / %
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
You have me there--the ANC is not exactly a role-model, and I had to think for a while before I quoted that. And then more before I chose not to add a disclaimer. But then, I'm willing to repeat Mao's "barrel of a gun" quote too.
I didn't think that you were completely blind to the ANC's history (or present) atrocities. I do understand your point too.

I see what you are saying about the need to only find one nut job. As much as I'd like to think that the coverage would somehow represent the non-nut/normal ratio actually in attendance I know that isn't always the case. If it were just think how bad all the leftist marches would look.

I wish I had a dollar for every crazy conspiracy theorist at the last gun show I attended. I could buy that new AR-15 upper I'm salivating over. I had no idea we had 600 death camps with gas chambers run by our government right here in the USA.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-13-2009, 8:53 AM
7x57's Avatar
7x57 7x57 is offline
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 5,161
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDT View Post
As much as I'd like to think that the coverage would somehow represent the non-nut/normal ratio actually in attendance I know that isn't always the case.
Can you find a single case where it *was* the case in the normal media?

Quote:
I wish I had a dollar for every crazy conspiracy theorist at the last gun show I attended. I could buy that new AR-15 upper I'm salivating over. I had no idea we had 600 death camps with gas chambers run by our government right here in the USA.
Oops, you posted that in an open forum. I gotta make a little call to the Men in Black, they need to pay you a visit.

7x57
__________________


What do you need guns for if you are going to send your children, seven hours a day, 180 days a year to government schools? What do you need the guns for at that point?-- R. C. Sproul, Jr. (unconfirmed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulgron View Post
I know every chance I get I'm going to accuse 7x57 of being a shill for LCAV. Because I can.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-13-2009, 9:01 AM
DDT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
iTrader: / %
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
Can you find a single case where it *was* the case in the normal media?
I am probably in the minority but I really do believe that most in the media try to be fair. The problem is that everyone works from their own cultural perspective. The management, editors etc. are all anti-gun and assume that second amendment advocates are all "gun nuts" they hire like minded minions and the culture is passed on. While I think there is some intentional bias like the Dan Rather October surprise I believe it is less common than it would seem. I know that I wouldn't take someone who holds the second amendment to be "outdated" or "inapplicable to modern society" the seriously if I were in the media, except to put them on the air to discredit them. If I don't take them seriously why would I go out of my way to find an exemplar that doesn't fit my opinion of them?

[quote = 7X57]
Oops, you posted that in an open forum. I gotta make a little call to the Men in Black, they need to pay you a visit.

7x57[/QUOTE]

Sadly we are no more immune from the whackos than any other segment of society. In fact, because the defense against perceived threats is a primary reason for gun ownership it might be said that the TFHS (Tin Foil Hat Society) is drawn to gun ownership and gun rights, inflating their representation in our ranks. I am not saying that gun ownership leads to TFHS membership.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-13-2009, 9:08 AM
Jamez's Avatar
Jamez Jamez is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tracy/Sacramento, CA
Posts: 448
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCWFacts View Post
There can 1,000 gun owners who are a diverse group of mild-mannered professionals and they'll find the one guy there who is wearing cammos and talks about how he needs guns to fight against illegal immigrants and the homosexual agenda, and guess what, that's the one interview that makes the news.
As much as I'd like to participate in political rallies and such, I agree.
From a media stand point, there's no story in the responsible military veteran who's had training course after training course and is as responsible as can be.

They'll find that 1 guy who was in some wanna be militia group, or we'll get associated with those dumb ***** hats who tried to take out Obama.
__________________
Selling:
Blitzkrieg complete upper.
870 home defense.
HK USP compact 40sw.
SW MP AR-22
Glock 34.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 8:34 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.