Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALGUNS.NET > New to Calguns? Check here first!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

New to Calguns? Check here first! Introductions, How to's, FAQ's and posts of interest to new members.

Old 02-05-2009, 5:26 AM
Veteran Member

Default Ak-47 question from Inland Empire

Hello Everyone!

I love this forum, it's great!
I'm a newbie with an AK legal question. Sorry just didn't know where to post.

I have an FEG Hungarian SA-85M AK-47. I purchased this rifle in the early 90's.
It's a stamped receiver and came with the blonde thumbhole stock.
It is registered as an Assault rifle with DOJ. Now my question is:

Can I now replace the thumbhole stock to a regular Romanian stock?
Being the Roberti-Roosi law is no longer valid and the rifle is registered as an assault weapon.

Looking forward to your help.
Thanks.
Peter
Old 02-05-2009, 7:48 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

You can but I would make sure you comply with federal section 922(r) governing how many US / domestic made parts you need to have on your rifle in order to remove the butthole thumbstock.

Try this link:

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

Turby
Old 02-05-2009, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

So this 922r was not abolished with the Robert-Roosi law?

922(r) does not apply to NFA items. If you do the paperwork to turn a legal weapon into an SBR or AOW, you no longer have to worry about parts count.

Here's a question from the quote above---- Since I have registered my weapon with CA DOJ as an assault rifle, is it ok to convert it back to original look?
As per statement above.

Peter

Last edited by Mstnpete; 02-05-2009 at 10:32 AM..
Old 02-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

Perhaps some others can chime in, but 922(r) is a Federal law - the AW ban in CA is a state law. You would need to abide by both. You reg'ed your AK, so you are good on the state level. You still need to ensure you do not violate federal law by complying with 922(r).

Turby
Old 02-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Turby for some clarification. Would you happen to know where to buy these US Parts kit? To comply with 922r.

Peter
Old 02-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstnpete View Post
Thanks Turby for some clarification. Would you happen to know where to buy these US Parts kit? To comply with 922r.

Peter
I haven't done any research but I used to see a lot of parts for sale from guys like Tapco. I don't know if you get Shotgun News but a lot of compliance parts are sold from various advertisers in there.

Given the recent run on anything gun related, you may have a hard time finding the parts you need. Don't give up! Try a Google search for 922(r) ak compliance parts and see if that comes up with any kits.

Turby
Old 02-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Peter
For wood furniture, you'll probably want to contact Ironwood Designs for some. The other option is to look at KVAR or Tapco for stocks.
"You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Admiral Yamamoto
USS Hornet ARC Member.

Join today?
Old 02-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

I guess this is starting to become a headache. I might just leave the thumbhole stock on. And just keep the Romanian stock not installed.

Peter
Old 02-05-2009, 5:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I guess this is starting to become a headache. I might just leave the thumbhole stock on. And just keep the Romanian stock not installed.

Peter
Up to you.. I did a 922(r) conversion awhile back to help someone out, it was pretty straightforward. Replaced bits like the hammer, trigger, stock set, hammer spring, all the fire control internals basically. The AK is really easy to work on.. Heck, so is an AR. The parts kits were bought from Ace Stocks Ltd at the time. I don't think they sell the 922(r) conversion kits any more, though.

Turby
Old 02-05-2009, 6:05 PM
Veteran Member

I went ahead and emailed Ace to find out if they have the conversion set.
Thanks again.

Peter
Old 02-08-2009, 3:38 PM
Super Moderator

I just saw this Calguns vendor -

http://www.rcmgunparts.com/

Try them and see if they have the parts you need!

Turby
Old 02-08-2009, 3:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
I just saw this Calguns vendor -

http://www.rcmgunparts.com/

Try them and see if they have the parts you need!

Turby
Redchevyman is a good guy. I recently bought some stuff from him in person and I was very impressed with his pricing and friendly demeanor. If you have to have stuff shipped, he only charges a flat 5 bucks too.

BDD
Old 02-09-2009, 1:26 PM
Veteran Member

I just recently ordered the 922r compliance package from DPH Arms and they told me,

"these are tapco compliance packages. There is no compliance letter from the doj. please contact your local aft for the laws in your area. the items in the compliance package go towards the parts needed to make a firearm 922r compliant."

Will Tapco 922r compliant parts be enough as a replacement with import parts? So I can install a US made stock or would I still need a letter from DOJ?
Just to be safe?

Last edited by Mstnpete; 02-09-2009 at 1:50 PM..
Old 02-09-2009, 3:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I just recently ordered the 922r compliance package from DPH Arms and they told me,

"these are tapco compliance packages. There is no compliance letter from the doj. please contact your local aft for the laws in your area. the items in the compliance package go towards the parts needed to make a firearm 922r compliant."

Will Tapco 922r compliant parts be enough as a replacement with import parts? So I can install a US made stock or would I still need a letter from DOJ?
Just to be safe?
How many US parts are on your rifle already? As long as you have the required minimum number of 922(r) compliance parts installed on your rifle, you're good to go. No letter from the DOJ/ATF is required. See below for the list of parts that count towards the count of compliance parts.

Quote:
Section-922R-Compliance-Parts

ASSEMBLY OF NON-SPORTING SHOTGUNS AND SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLES FROM IMPORTED PARTS

Disclaimer: This is an attempt to interpret this law. Information taken from this context should not be considered permission to manufacture semiautomatic rifles.

(a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.

(b) The provisions of this section shall not apply to:

(1) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or

(2) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Director under the provisions of Sec. 178.151; or

(3) The repair of any rifle or shotgun which had been imported into or assembled in the United States prior to November 30, 1990, or the replacement of any part of such firearm.

(c) For purposes of this section, the term imported parts are:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Butt stocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, hand guards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floor plates

[T.D. ATF-346, 58 FR 40589, July 29, 1993]
"You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Admiral Yamamoto
USS Hornet ARC Member.

Join today?
Old 02-09-2009, 4:24 PM
Veteran Member

Smile

I just ordered the parts and have not replaced any yet....attached are the parts I ordered.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100-82-AKcompliancekitcentury.jpg (2.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 02-11-2009, 8:41 PM

Sorry to jump into your thread but it mentioned a rifle I am looking at getting...

Is the Hungarian FACTORY BUILT FEG SA-85 Thumbhole AK legal in CA? I did not see it listed as banned in Appendix C. I'm looking at getting one and wanted to check. I see that yours is registered but I'm guessing it does not have to be anymore correct?

So I should be ok by just having a maglock installed by the shipper before it enters the state right?

Last edited by DrediKnight; 02-11-2009 at 8:48 PM..
Old 02-11-2009, 8:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrediKnight View Post
Is the Hungarian FACTORY BUILT FEG SA-85 Thumbhole AK legal in CA? I did not see it listed as banned in Appendix C. I'm looking at getting one and wanted to check. I see that yours is registered but I'm guessing it does not have to be anymore correct?

So I should be ok by just having a maglock installed by the shipper before it enters the state right?
If it is not named on the AK list - then it is considered to be an OLL. I have taken a quick look and I also do not see the FEG SA85 on the named AK list. Therefore, if you want to get this shipped in as an OLL, it sounds like a mag lock would do the trick for you.

Turby