Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 03-03-2017, 8:39 AM
Banned

Default Does anyone know anything about old bass lures & tackle boxes?

History of the box - this Kennedy tackle box was one of several tackle boxes owned by my grandfather. He died in 1971. I am guessing it is from the 1940's, but I am not sure. I know he had a lifelong love affair with fishing for bass, trout, salmon steelhead and striped bass. We have photos of him standing on a pier at Half Moon Bay in the 1920's and 1930's with his coworkers from the PG&E drafting dept.

My grandmother gave me this box around 1980. I do know that one of her brothers had the tackle box at his cabin near Pollock Pines for a few years, and do not know if anything was added to it. I took the box with me a few times on bass fishing outings and used some of the lures a few times, but have not used it since 1985 when I lost a jitterbug. I felt horrible about losing a lure and decided not to use any of them again. It ended up in my parents attic and I promptly forgot all about it.

I found it when we were cleaning out my dad's attic after he died in 2015. My younger brother and I spent a good deal of time ogling the lures and accessories. We noticed that there were some items missing, such as one of the reels and about 10 of the original boxes that some of the lures came in. He also pointed out that there was a hand carved balsa wood frog lure missing.

I am thinking about selling the box and lures, as I will never use them again and it just takes up space. I don't want to spend hours online just to find the value of one $10-$15 lure, and there are over 60 of them. I don't think there are any of great value, although my brother told me a few weeks later that the missing frog lure may have been in the 5 figure range.

I took these photos a few days after I found the box because the friend of a friend said he wanted to buy everything, and then he started picking through the box saying he only wanted to buy a few. I said no, it's buy everything or forget it.

If anyone knows an approximate value, or knows of anyone who does, I would appreciate it.

Old 03-03-2017, 8:47 AM
Veteran Member

I don't have any help for you regarding value, but I'm drooling over those old Jitterbugs. I love those top-water lures.

"Now there's one thing in the whole wide world, I sure would like to see....That's when that little love of mine, dips her doughnut in my tea"

The Band
Old 03-03-2017, 8:53 AM
Veteran Member

Tackle box looks way newer than 40's. Not an expert in anyway, just lack of patina and deterioration.
Old 03-03-2017, 9:03 AM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

I'm no help on value, but that's a pretty cool thing to have laying around.
Old 03-03-2017, 9:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
I don't have any help for you regarding value, but I'm drooling over those old Jitterbugs. I love those top-water lures.
Jitterbugs are fun. You be doing the drag and stop on top of the water and all of a sudden WHAM! A few times I've had bass go a couple of feet out of the water going after jitterbugs.
Old 03-03-2017, 9:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
Tackle box looks way newer than 40's. Not an expert in anyway, just lack of patina and deterioration.
It's possible it's from the 50's. It has a lot of caked on dust from sitting in my parents attic for 30 years. My grandfather retired from PG&E in '61 and him and my granny moved in Acapulco for 5 years while renting out their house in Oakland. My grandfather spent half his time in cantinas getting drunk, and being a very outgoing sort, he made friends with everyone, including actors and actresses who vacationed in Acapulco, and several authors, including Louie L'Amour. They moved back to Oakland in late '66 because my grandfathers health was going downhill - 3 packs of cigarettes/day and a fifth of whisky every day will do that. He hardly ever fished again after they moved back.

Anyhoo, I attempted to establish a date on the tackle box by looking online for dates of manufacture on that particular model, and can't really find anything. I have seen that model sell for anywhere from $65 to $150, although the average seems to be around $90-$100.

Last edited by Sierra57; 03-03-2017 at 9:58 AM..
Old 03-03-2017, 9:31 AM

I have a very similar box from my grandfather - full of jitterbugs, hula poppers, crazy crawlers, rebels, flatfish, heddon prop tails, etc. Have made some display cases for my son with the lures we used when I was a kid - full of hook scrapes and memories.

Those natural rubber skirts in your pics are desirable for collectors as they are in good condition. Most of the lures wont be worth much as they were mass-produced but some rare color runs, etc can be worth a ton. Anything wooden or with real glass eyes should probably be examined more thoroughly.

Thanks for reminding me of fishing for bass on Harris Pond (southern MA) with my grandfather
Old 03-03-2017, 9:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
I'm no help on value, but that's a pretty cool thing to have laying around.
That's just it - it's laying around gathering dust and I am not going to use it again. If I can establish some kind of value, I will probably sell it.

We have bunch of stuff in storage that we are getting rid of. The house we bought in Sonora is 1750+ sq. ft. and we have enough crap for a 3,000 sq. ft. home. I have already sold some stuff and have to go in a little bit to take some pics of a big oak desk because someone may buy it. It came out of the CO's office at NAS Alameda in 1981 and is WW2 vintage. They were going to throw it in a dumpster when they were renovating the office. I asked if I could have it, and got it after filling out some paper work.
Old 03-03-2017, 9:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanboyle View Post
I have a very similar box from my grandfather - full of jitterbugs, hula poppers, crazy crawlers, rebels, flatfish, heddon prop tails, etc. Have made some display cases for my son with the lures we used when I was a kid - full of hook scrapes and memories.

Those natural rubber skirts in your pics are desirable for collectors as they are in good condition. Most of the lures wont be worth much as they were mass-produced but some rare color runs, etc can be worth a ton. Anything wooden or with real glass eyes should probably be examined more thoroughly.

Thanks for reminding me of fishing for bass on Harris Pond (southern MA) with my grandfather
I only got to fish with my grandfather once around '68. He and I, my dad, my brother and a couple of cousins stayed at another relatives cabin at Fallen Leaf for 3 days. We were going to stay longer, but he got to feeling so crummy that he wanted to go home, so that trip was cut short.

It was a good time and I remember it fondly, but I remember being kind of sad at the time watching him struggle with his health problems and knowing he wasn't going to be around much longer.

Some of the lures do have glass eyes., while others are painted on. Just from looking online, there are a number of variables that determine the value of a lure. I don't think there is anything of great value, although there appear to be 3 offbrands from small companies. Most people want lures in pristine condition, and others want lures that show use. I have read that there are fraudsters out there who will carefully repaint rare lures to bring up the resale value.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

There has to be a fishing collectable forum. My sister looked up a bunch grandfather's stuff. Some of them are NIB and worth a lot of money.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:37 PM
CalGuns Minister of Truth
CGN Contributor

During the 70's and 80's we used those same boxes as first aid/trauma kits in the fire department. They're essentially tool boxes made by a company called Kennedy. Kennedy still makes similar tool boxes.

http://buykennedy.com/product/1022/

ETA: Google Kennedy tackle box and you'll find a bunch of stuff there. Here's one: http://www.michianaoutdoorsnews.com/...rns-800-profit

Last edited by Doheny; 03-03-2017 at 12:47 PM..
Old 03-03-2017, 4:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
During the 70's and 80's we used those same boxes as first aid/trauma kits in the fire department. They're essentially tool boxes made by a company called Kennedy. Kennedy still makes similar tool boxes.

http://buykennedy.com/product/1022/

ETA: Google Kennedy tackle box and you'll find a bunch of stuff there. Here's one: http://www.michianaoutdoorsnews.com/...rns-800-profit

I have seen old Kennedy tool boxes but didn't know they made boxes as trauma kits. I guess it depends on how the manufacturer accessorized the interior of the box. I should ask my brother if he ever saw any when he was in the Oakland FD.

It is a very sturdy well made box, but kind of heavy. It is not something I would want to lug around for hours while fishing on the bank and moving around.
Old 03-03-2017, 5:59 PM

Fishing lures are collectable and there are websites you should use to research.
Condition, the lit and the box adds value yes but as with anything collectable rarity is king and you wouldn't know just to look.
I don't see anything there that jumps out at me but the hand carved frog you mention probably disappeared for a reason.

river runt, hawaiian wiggler, bomber, flatfish, miro lures, jitterbugs, what looks like a bad egg (that one might be worth something) but mostly standard fare.
Anything wood could be valuable, you should check.