Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 07-25-2016, 3:35 PM
Veteran Member

Default My father & daughter fishing trip to the Sierras.

Last Sunday, I got back from a fishing trip to the Sierras. Two friends and myself, we took our daughters fishing. We fished South Lake, which is a 20 mile drive west from Bishop on a paved road. The scenery was beautiful. It was not crowded, and all the kids caught trout. Warning, the lake is at 9700 feet, and the air is very thin. We fished from our kayaks, and there was no charge to launch our kayaks.

I have always fished for trout by using salmon eggs and powerbait. After reading huntandski's recommendation to use 1/4 ounce kastmasters, I followed his recommendation. It was a bust, no trout were caught on the kastmasters, so we switched back to the salmon eggs and powerbait and caught fish. I am beginning to think huntandski is a salesman for kastmasters.

We stayed at Parcher's Resort, which is about 1 mile from the lake. I do not recommend Parchers Resort. The cost of the cabin is unjustified. The cabins are described as rustic, which means plywood construction. The shower stall was so small, my 12 year old daughter thought it was too small. Two of the rules of staying there require you to empty the waste basket in the room or pay a $25.00 cleaning charge, and you have to sweep the place out or pay a cleaning charge. In sweeping out the place, it created a huge indoor dust storm, so I stopped sweeping, and just picked up what ever I could see. This indicated to me that only the guests clean the rooms. My daughter has one allergy, which is dust mites, she had a terrible allergic reaction to sleeping on the bed, so we had to move her to a portable cot that we brought. She tried using their pillows, and had the same reaction. The carpet was infested with fleas, and our legs and feet have dozens of flea bites, which are annoying for several days. Next trip we will stay in Bishop, and drive to the lake to fish.

One nice aspect to Parcher's Resort is they have a fish cleaning station, and my buddy made my daughter clean her fish. It was her first time fishing and cleaning them. She hated doing it, but I noticed she brags about it to other family.

While we were there, we sent the kids on a half day horseback ride, and a gunstore told us where we could take the kids shooting. We drove east of Bishop about five miles, and the mountain range there provided an excellent and safe backstop. All three of us dads are former cops, and we had a blast letting our daughters shoot 10-22s, and we let them shoot our handguns which were in 9 mm, .45 ACP and .40 Cal. Oh, the gunstore sold us some Tannerite, so each kid got two blow up targets.

I do have bragging rights. Our daughters set up a line of spent shotgun shells at about 15 yards, and my daughter with her first magazine of 10 rounds hit 5 shotgun shells.

Last edited by RandyD; 07-25-2016 at 3:57 PM..
Old 07-25-2016, 6:07 PM

Try Panther Martin Spinners. Size 1 - black body with gold blade. Best Sierra trout lure made. Been using them since the mid 70's. Kastmasters - not so good.
Old 07-25-2016, 6:15 PM
Calguns Addict

That sucks Randy! Buttttt......at least you got a taste of pre 1900's lifestyle. No vacuums, no pesticides (that work). You could have strung up a line and beat the bedding with a stick to get the dust out, just like the old days.

NRA Endowment Life Member
CRPA 5 yr Member

"...which from their verbosity, their endless tautologies, their involutions of case within case, and parenthesis within parenthesis, and their multiplied efforts at certainty by saids and aforesaids, by ors and by ands, to make them more plain, do really render them more perplexed and incomprehensible, not only to common readers, but to lawyers themselves. " - Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-25-2016, 6:17 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

For the last 10 years the World Champion Trout Fisherman use Czech Nymphing!

Googlee it
Old 07-25-2016, 6:20 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Keiryu fishing with salmon eggs and small hooks is the most popular fresh water fishing in Japan!
Old 07-25-2016, 7:28 PM

Alright you guys. Got me thinking. What is one of my favorite baits? Well, it's this: "Steak and eggs". Nightcrawler with a marshmellow and some stinky damn garlic juice. WORKS!
Old 07-25-2016, 9:08 PM

There is a place to shoot right near Parchers. PM me if you want details Randy.
We might go up there in a couple of weeks.
Old 07-26-2016, 8:34 AM

Rock Creek Lake with a gold 1/4 ounce kastmaster will land fish all day. I have pictures to prove it, including one of my sister with a 6-7# fatty she caught.
Old 07-26-2016, 8:59 AM
Veteran Member

I also tried Panther Martin lure, I tried both a gold and silver 1/4 ounce lure and no fish. Once we went back to a size 18 hook with salmon eggs or powerbait, it was fish on. At least my tackle box now has these lures, which I'll use again.

Parchers also puts on a good buffet breakfast and it is priced right. The boat dock I believe is run by Parchers, they have plenty of boats with two pontoon boats. I was fishing not too far from the boat dock and the guys running the dock were on top of everything. They even helped me load my kayaks back in my truck. Next time, I will save myself from hauling my kayaks, and just rent from Parchers.

We looked for an area to shoot near Parchers but there is a stream, and there were people fishing. Given that we were in California, we decided not to shoot anywhere near the stream. The area east of Bishop was perfect for shooting. It was flat, open and we could see for a long distance, and the mountain provided a perfect backstop.
Old 07-26-2016, 9:02 AM

My go to lure for bishop/mammoth area sierras (lakes) is the Henson super duper #501 in solid brass with the red head. This size lure works the best, the #502 works but doesn't get hit as hard or often. There's the same lure but with a gold prism tape on it. It just doesn't cut it as well either. I've literally worn out this lure in a weeks worth of fishing up there ( cut barb hooks and C&C)
For streams I never go wrong fly lining a gamaztku red salmon egg hook and fireball eggs. Super ultra lite rig and it's just plain fun.