Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-23-2017, 10:04 AM
taperxz taperxz is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 15,781
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default Winchester 1894 25-35 1906

I scored one of these with an octagon barrel. Looks brand new but made in 1906.

Anyone have one or know much about them?

Having issues with the pictures. Not able to access photo bucket
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-23-2017, 10:17 AM
CALI-gula's Avatar
CALI-gula CALI-gula is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,251
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
I scored one of these with an octagon barrel. Looks brand new but made in 1906.

Anyone have one or know much about them?

Having issues with the pictures. Not able to access photo bucket
Photobucket is a dead avenue. Ceased allowing sharing unless you pay a $300 or so fee.

Try Imgur; just remember to resize the photos before linking them or they'll be as big as a West Virginia barn-side Skoal advertisement; you can also select "large thumbnail" as an option when copying the IMG link to post them.

Definitely want to see pics of this one!

https://imgur.com/


.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-23-2017, 10:19 AM
taperxz taperxz is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 15,781
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALI-gula View Post
Photobucket is a dead avenue. Ceased allowing sharing unless you pay a $300 or so fee.

Try Imgur; just remember to resize the photos before linking them or they'll be as big as a West Virginia barn-side Skoal advertisement; you can also select "large thumbnail" as an option when copying the IMG link to post them.

Definitely want to see pics of this one!

https://imgur.com/


.
Cool I will give it a shot in a minute
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-23-2017, 10:28 AM
taperxz taperxz is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 15,781
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default




Ok I got this up but don’t know how to leave it open here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DC645130-1D27-42BB-9DE3-74FD1BEC63F0.jpg (20.4 KB, 111 views)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-23-2017, 10:34 AM
taperxz taperxz is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 15,781
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

The rifles blueing is darn near perfect all the way down except for a few minor scratches. No pitting or rust all original. Sorry for the poor pic.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-23-2017, 2:58 PM
bigbossman's Avatar
bigbossman bigbossman is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SF East Bay
Posts: 3,342
iTrader: 99 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
The rifles blueing is darn near perfect all the way down except for a few minor scratches. No pitting or rust all original. Sorry for the poor pic.
RE: the bluing..... is the muzzle end of the barrel blued, or "in the white"?

What does the bore look like? Most of the 25-35's I've seen (and I've seen a lot of them) have slightly to very rough bores. I did see a really nice one at the 2nd to last Reno show, but it looked suspiciously like it had been re-barreled. I have a decent one already in the collection, but I'm looking to upgrade it.

If yours has the original barrel and the bore is nice, you are ahead of the game. They are a ton of fun to shoot, but you're pretty much limited to 117gr RN bullets. If you are a re-loader, brass is hard to find. If you are not, ammo is spendy. It is possible to make the brass out of 30-30 brass, but there are a couple of steps involved.
__________________
Always looking for vintage Winchester and Marlin lever action rifles. Looking to sell? Know of one for sale? Drop me a line!

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."

Last edited by bigbossman; 11-23-2017 at 3:01 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-23-2017, 3:32 PM
Flyin Brian's Avatar
Flyin Brian Flyin Brian is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 3,351
iTrader: 33 / 100%
Default

Hopefully the OP will post up some better pics, as I get real sceptical when I hear "looks like new" on a rifle that is over 100 years old and was usually used to put food on the table. Not saying it can't happen, but when it does the post is usually worded more like "look what i just blew 4 grand on!!"



Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
__________________
NRA Life Member - CRPA Life Member - NRA Certified RSO - USN Veteran

I collect Military Arms and enjoy shooting in local matches. I also collect older Lever Actions, especially those chambered in odd/old cartridges. If you have a nice old Winchester or Marlin in 25-20, 32-40, 38-55, 40-60, 45-70, etc etc, please PM me and we can work out a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExpertdouche
I wasn't kidding when I said this would all be over by Xmas... Stay tuned for good news next week.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-23-2017, 4:24 PM
taperxz taperxz is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 15,781
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
RE: the bluing..... is the muzzle end of the barrel blued, or "in the white"?

What does the bore look like? Most of the 25-35's I've seen (and I've seen a lot of them) have slightly to very rough bores. I did see a really nice one at the 2nd to last Reno show, but it looked suspiciously like it had been re-barreled. I have a decent one already in the collection, but I'm looking to upgrade it.

If yours has the original barrel and the bore is nice, you are ahead of the game. They are a ton of fun to shoot, but you're pretty much limited to 117gr RN bullets. If you are a re-loader, brass is hard to find. If you are not, ammo is spendy. It is possible to make the brass out of 30-30 brass, but there are a couple of steps involved.
I own a gun store. I got this from some very elderly folks

Blue is near perfect. The pic has the sun shining on the barrel. Itís dark blue through and through. 25-35 is available. Even Hornady makes it in lever revolution now
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-24-2017, 11:40 AM
bigbossman's Avatar
bigbossman bigbossman is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SF East Bay
Posts: 3,342
iTrader: 99 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
I own a gun store. I got this from some very elderly folks

Blue is near perfect. The pic has the sun shining on the barrel. Itís dark blue through and through. 25-35 is available. Even Hornady makes it in lever revolution now
Is the flat muzzle face blued or in the white?
__________________
Always looking for vintage Winchester and Marlin lever action rifles. Looking to sell? Know of one for sale? Drop me a line!

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-24-2017, 3:57 PM
taperxz taperxz is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 15,781
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
Is the flat muzzle face blued or in the white?
blued
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-24-2017, 5:45 PM
bigbossman's Avatar
bigbossman bigbossman is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SF East Bay
Posts: 3,342
iTrader: 99 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
blued
You might find this interesting and informative:

https://winchestercollector.org/foru...ld+Winchester/
__________________
Always looking for vintage Winchester and Marlin lever action rifles. Looking to sell? Know of one for sale? Drop me a line!

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-24-2017, 7:22 PM
taperxz taperxz is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 15,781
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
You might find this interesting and informative:

https://winchestercollector.org/foru...ld+Winchester/
What I found from that is the rifle was probably re blued. Iím fine with that since it was probably done before 1946.

Thatís how long the rifle was stored till now.

I paid under a hundred bucks for it so Iím happy.

Thanks again for the link.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-26-2017, 7:26 PM
LynnJr LynnJr is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,287
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default



Here is the picture.
__________________
Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
Southwest Regional Director
Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-26-2017, 7:38 PM
MARKFP MARKFP is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Los Alamos, CA
Posts: 146
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Nice find, I have a very early Savage in 25-35 I was given by my father for my first deer rifle, he got it from a neighbor who was original owner. That cartridge is very fun to shoot. I started grabbing ammo anywhere I found it decades ago and just saw Hornady started producing it. Congrats on a very unique fun old rifle !!!!!!
__________________
Oh no, not another 1911 !
"You can't have a good argument with an ignorant person"....My Dad
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 8:49 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.