Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 02-03-2009, 6:48 AM

Default Q: Suggestions for refinishing AR-15 A2 stock set

Hi,
I picked up a few sets of A2 stock sets (buttstock and handguards) for dirt cheap as a project. They are all pretty beat up (hence the price). I took the roughest one, washed the grime off, and hand sanded it.

The finish is now somewhat uneven in color but much smoother.
There are a few gashes so I'm soliciting advice for the next step.

Q: None of the gashes are very deep. Should I fill them with the plastic epoxy (the stuff that has the constency of laffy taffy), let it cure and then sand it down? Is there another product that would work better (i.e.: take the dye more evenly) or should I just say screw it and just paint over it now?

I plan to finish the two sets in two different fashions. The first one I was going to prime and then paint with Krylon Fusion Superfly Yellow (Sunburst or whatever they call it) paint. Just for kicks. I've used this stuff before (it bonds to plastic) and after a few layers and wet sanding I'm confident it will will work just fine (if fine = as I intended).

The other stock I'd like to return to a more "factory original" finish. At least, something that one won't be able to pick out 2 states over.
Q: In this instance, would the most appropriate product be plastic/vinyl dye? I know Kragen sells a flat black color for refinishing things like automotive center dashes and it will leach into the plastic. Any affirmations of this route or better suggestions?

Please keep in mind that this is a "fun" project so there is a limit what I'm willing to spend to refinish these stock sets.

Thanks in advance for your advice,
-g
Old 02-03-2009, 5:10 PM
Veteran Member

Dura coat or...
Brownells Aluma-Hyde
Old 02-03-2009, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxo2 View Post
Dura coat or...
Brownells Aluma-Hyde
Either one, Aluma-Hyde is much easier to use. Flat Black seem to work with those A1 grips that I sprayed long time ago,I did try the semi gloss black but it did not look right on the rifle.