Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 01-30-2009, 8:01 PM
Live Free Or Die
CGN Contributor

Default recent antique rifle bring back from afghanistan?

The rifle is a French Lebel Model 1886/93

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=121876250

Pertinent part

"It was brought into the USA sometime after 2 December 2006, by an Air Force Captain with the Armed Forces of the United States of America at Kabul, Afghanistan, per an Affidavit signed by the Captain and notarized by a MSgt of the USAF."

I thought bring-backs were a thing of the past? Or do you think he bought it from a vendor and brought it back? But then why the affidavit?

-Jason

edit: Not sure what forum this goes under..hoping general gun discussion is best fit
Old 01-30-2009, 8:37 PM

AFAIK, pre 1898 antiques and the like, are allowed to be brought back to the states, just like any cheap trinket you might buy in some backwoods afghan bazaar.

Some of these markets sell cheap knockoff copies of antique rifles, made to look good to foreigners. As a wallhangar they may be great, but firing ammo through them "buyer beware"

do a google search for "khyber pass copy"
Old 01-30-2009, 11:20 PM

From the auction: "If only this rifle could speak."

Yeah, if it could speak it would say, "Good luck finding ammo for me."
Old 01-30-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega13device View Post
From the auction: "If only this rifle could speak."

Yeah, if it could speak it would say, "Good luck finding ammo for me."
truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpach View Post
Just do what M Sage and others have said to do, they know what theyr talkin about. Just dont urinate in your barrel and expect ur rifle to be ok. My buddy and I recently went shooting and he shot corrosive yugo ammo through his Mosin and figured he could just piss in the barrel and call it a day. Several days later the bolt was rusted shut but I guess the fouling wasnt TOO bad.
Old 02-01-2009, 5:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsenpai View Post
AFAIK, pre 1898 antiques and the like, are allowed to be brought back to the states, just like any cheap trinket you might buy in some backwoods afghan bazaar.

Some of these markets sell cheap knockoff copies of antique rifles, made to look good to foreigners. As a wallhangar they may be great, but firing ammo through them "buyer beware"

do a google search for "khyber pass copy"
US Armed Forces SOP does NOT allow any type of bringbacks, unless it is for training purposes only, and even when you are lucky enough to squeeze one in, you have to put them on the units TO&E and de-mill them as per .mil specs. Im more than willing to go and copy the regs for you and post them here as well and the Theater Memo stating to such fact. To say a Captain authorized it for another Captain, and it was signed off by a Master Sgt, wheres the Brigade/Squadron Commanders signature? Something like this has to be approved way above an O-3's pay grade.
But, for creative advertising. . . . Now how hard is it to draw up a piece of paper and put names on there stating its legal as such with ranks and so forth. . . .. thats a smart way to sell a piece of junk by making it look like its a war trophy. Doesnt mean its an actual bringback. Theres alot more to it than most people think, imagine trying to walk back thru the front gate of a base holding a weapon like that, do you actually think the gate guards would let you in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
I don't like getting my butt kicked, but I would like to have it spanked by some big hairy guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
I wouldn't put "mounting a weasel" past too many people on this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...
-Gene
Old 02-01-2009, 7:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Unless something has changed recently a soldier can bring back a pre 98 firearm from Afghanistan as long as he has a receipt from the civilian it was purchased from and completes the proper paperwork. This has resulted in a flood of Martini Henry copies appearing in the local markets for unsuspecting Joes to purchase thinking they have the real deal. Occasionally a genuine MH turns up amidst all of the dross. I read recently that a Brit 9 pounder muzzle loading cannon (minus the carriage) was discovered in the dirt at an airfield in Afghanistan. It is on the way home to a UK museum.

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper

I'm a seven percenter
Old 02-01-2009, 7:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smle-man View Post
Unless something has changed recently a soldier can bring back a pre 98 firearm from Afghanistan as long as he has a receipt from the civilian it was purchased from and completes the proper paperwork. This has resulted in a flood of Martini Henry copies appearing in the local markets for unsuspecting Joes to purchase thinking they have the real deal. Occasionally a genuine MH turns up amidst all of the dross. I read recently that a Brit 9 pounder muzzle loading cannon (minus the carriage) was discovered in the dirt at an airfield in Afghanistan. It is on the way home to a UK museum.
I would love to see something proving this, (im not trying to pick a fight SMLE!) because if thats the case, I got a few friends in the region (to include Soldier415) that might be able to pick something up! But, as far as I can see, the paperwork im looking at as we speak was originally dated June 2005 and stands as regulation today, is no bringbacks unless it is a training series and is demilled as per specifications.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
I don't like getting my butt kicked, but I would like to have it spanked by some big hairy guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
I wouldn't put "mounting a weasel" past too many people on this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...
-Gene
Old 02-01-2009, 3:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

They have a whole program on buying crappy Pakistani copies that you can buy at the Bazaars in AF.

You buy your Pakistani fake (thinking you got a great deal on an antique rifle), go to the USPS/Custom booth, declare the rifle, get the form signed, ship the rifle and voila, you are the proud owner of a POS rifle.

So yeah, at the beginning, you could get great deals on real antique rifles. Now? LOL, I would not buy a piece of bread from the Bazaar. It might be cardboard.

Now, battlefield finds is another story all together, and StormFeather is correct. There are hurdles and hurdles and hurdles to go through, and the chance of you getting that crap to the states is impossible.

For example. We "found" this beautiful Mauser rifle in Iraq circa 2003, with all serial numbers matching, and it had this particular stamped emblem that everybody was going nuts for (think about it. German Mauser from WWII. It had an eagle on it). Somebody tried to get it back. Needless to say, it was not approved. And back then, we could not even bring a freaking bayonet back LOL.

My $0.2

Jerry.

"If guns kill people, can I blame my spelling errors on my pencil?"

Last edited by JerryM; 02-01-2009 at 3:57 PM.. Reason: Adding locational rules.