Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 01-29-2009, 7:38 PM

Default AK47 Headspace?

My father built me a ak from a romy g kit about 2 years ago and have never fired it... Reason being, that the headspacing was never checked... I was wondering if there is a gunsmith out here in the bay area, preferebly the west bay/peninsula to check the head spacing for me? Or is there a link on here providing a DIY job? I searched, but found nothing...Kit was a #'s matching kit by the way....
Old 01-29-2009, 7:56 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc93cruiser View Post
My father built me a ak from a romy g kit about 2 years ago and have never fired it... Reason being, that the headspacing was never checked... I was wondering if there is a gunsmith out here in the bay area, preferebly the west bay/peninsula to check the head spacing for me? Or is there a link on here providing a DIY job? I searched, but found nothing...Kit was a #'s matching kit by the way....
The headspace on an AK is determined at the factory by the barrels position in the trunion. They press it in to the correct position and drive that barrel pin through to keep it in place. If you have a matching numbers kit you are 99% good to go. However, if you really want to find out, you have a couple options:

1: buy 7.62x39 headspace gauges.

2: Do what I do. Hold the rifle far away from your body, turn head the other way and pull the trigger.
----------------------------
With my feet upon the ground, I move myself between the sound and Open wide to suck it in I feel It move across my skin
Old 01-29-2009, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
The headspace on an AK is determined at the factory by the barrels position in the trunion. They press it in to the correct position and drive that barrel pin through to keep it in place. If you have a matching numbers kit you are 99% good to go. However, if you really want to find out, you have a couple options:

2: Do what I do. Hold the rifle far away from your body, turn head the other way and pull the trigger.
This
And maybe build a tiny fort out of the provided sandbags.

Well I did both. The problem with headspace gauges, though, is that there are 2 different specs. I forget what they're called (one's Euro, and one's something else?) One is of tighter tolerances than the other, and sometimes a bolt won't close on a GO-gauge while it WILL close on a live round. This happened to me, but after a lot of convincing from people over at AK files, they said as long as it's matching numbers, and it closes on a live round with ease, then you should be good to go for the most part.
Old 01-29-2009, 8:10 PM

thanks for the replies. So if the first shoot is good, then it should be good to go from that point on....
Old 01-29-2009, 8:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

check your brass (spent casing)along side other fired brass of the same cartridge fired in a different gun
Old 02-10-2009, 10:35 PM

2: Do what I do. Hold the rifle far away from your body, turn head the other way and pull the trigger.[/QUOTE]

When I read this I almost woke up the whole house from laughing so hard.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I do that too.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
check your brass (spent casing)along side other fired brass of the same cartridge fired in a different gun
If you go with Lateralus' optoin #2, do it with brass cased ammo, not steel. Check for stretching, etc.

IMHO, get the headspace checked by a smith with the right tools.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oogabooga View Post
This
And maybe build a tiny fort out of the provided sandbags.

Well I did both. The problem with headspace gauges, though, is that there are 2 different specs. I forget what they're called (one's Euro, and one's something else?) One is of tighter tolerances than the other, and sometimes a bolt won't close on a GO-gauge while it WILL close on a live round. This happened to me, but after a lot of convincing from people over at AK files, they said as long as it's matching numbers, and it closes on a live round with ease, then you should be good to go for the most part.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there a couple different specs of headspace gauges out there. The three most commonly used are SAAMI, MASSI, and CIP. AK gurrus have advised me to go with the MASSI (East German) as they're used to headspace mil-spec rifles. For safe measure, I bought all three sets
Old 02-11-2009, 6:06 AM
Veteran Member

If it is going to blow it's usually the top cover that will get ya.
Old 02-11-2009, 6:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Dunno what is better. Getting your head blown off or to go through the rest of your life without hands.
Old 02-11-2009, 8:41 AM
Veteran Member

what you're mainly concerned with is that the bolt doesn't close on the no-go. a cartrige can be a go. use a dummy if possible or secure the hammer/remove the pin for this.
there is a shadetree method with masking tape. search on the akfiles if you must. excess headspace is very dangerous. tight is not as much of a prob. as there's a safety nub on the bolt carrier to keep the hammer from striking the firing pin out of battery.
if you go the shoot route, check the first round for deformity and especially for bulged primer. DO NOT insert a mag for your first shot. fire only a single round.
none of the guages available are perfect matches for the arsenal specs. the ddr massi guages are the closest.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:06 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobs11 View Post
Dunno what is better. Getting your head blown off or to go through the rest of your life without hands.
Aw, you ruined the mood .
----------------------------
With my feet upon the ground, I move myself between the sound and Open wide to suck it in I feel It move across my skin
Old 02-11-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:

Nice! that's SOP for any new firearm I buy regardless of if it's new from the factory or made in jimmy bobs garage. 1 round in the magazine and hope it doesn't blow up.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:51 AM

Frank Ambruso at Redwood City 650-363-1651. Last time I saw him, he had accurized a SKS, and he reloads for this caliber, so he might have the headspace gauge. Pay him a visit, real nice guy, you'll learn a lot from just talking to him.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:10 PM

You might have more luck posting the request in the gunsmith section