Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 01-26-2009, 8:52 PM

Default hey marines

what is your guys opinion on the corps plan to move to the Infantry Automatic Rifle over the saw?
Old 01-27-2009, 6:57 AM

I still don't understand why anyone wants a beltfed 5.56 to start with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I support violence against communists.
The United States once fought and killed communists abroad. Domestically, persons suspect of being a communist faced interrogation, juries, and having their careers and lives destroyed.

Today, they walk among us. They’re on the television, they write for the newspapers, they have infiltrated the schools, the political system, and law enforcement. They call themselves Liberals.
Old 01-27-2009, 7:30 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronHorrocks View Post
Keeps heads down, the SAW shot very fast and had 200 round mags. My only issue with the SAW was the gas that burned the eyes, you need to wear goggles to see what your target looks like after a short burst.

Seems to me the HK21E would be the way to go, I have family who has one and they dont seem to be as Marine proof but the fact that they can be used out to long range and in a few calibers is a great idea imo.

HMM-161 Westpac 1994
Old 01-27-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6172crew View Post
Keeps heads down, the SAW shot very fast and had 200 round mags. My only issue with the SAW was the gas that burned the eyes, you need to wear goggles to see what your target looks like after a short burst.

Seems to me the HK21E would be the way to go, I have family who has one and they dont seem to be as Marine proof but the fact that they can be used out to long range and in a few calibers is a great idea imo.
ya i like the hk 21 also, have you followed the iar program at all it seens its down to 2 colts an hk and an fn. lwrc and the ultimax got dropped but i was rooting for them but i kinda figured it would be one of the bigs boys. id like to see what magpul could put together if you asked them to enter the contract
Old 01-27-2009, 11:17 AM

If you've never had to lay down suppression, or rely on suppression to make movement, you may not understand the positives of any belt fed weapon.

28-30 rds of 5.56 will cut a man in half. 100 is good but 200 is even better. All without a magazine/drum change. And its capable of accepting any M16 magazine.

The SAW is a fine weapon and will definitely stay in use for a while.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepnosis View Post
If you've never had to lay down suppression, or rely on suppression to make movement, you may not understand the positives of any belt fed weapon.
I hope that's not directed at me. I own several beltfeds!
5.56 is fine for a rifleman... I just think beltfeds should stick to the long trusted thirty-caliber range. It 'F's more 'S' up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I support violence against communists.
The United States once fought and killed communists abroad. Domestically, persons suspect of being a communist faced interrogation, juries, and having their careers and lives destroyed.

Today, they walk among us. They’re on the television, they write for the newspapers, they have infiltrated the schools, the political system, and law enforcement. They call themselves Liberals.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:

28-30 rds of 5.56 will cut a man in half. 100 is good but 200 is even better. All without a magazine/drum change. And its capable of accepting any M16 magazine.

have you ever put a mag in a saw it makes sure you do 3 rd bursts
Old 01-27-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I hope that's not directed at me. I own several beltfeds!
5.56 is fine for a rifleman... I just think beltfeds should stick to the long trusted thirty-caliber range. It 'F's more 'S' up!
+1!
Old 01-27-2009, 1:10 PM
Calguns Addict

The SAW is an awsome weapon!! Nuff said!
Old 01-27-2009, 1:33 PM

Moving away from a belt fed weapon is a move in the wrong direction....yes, i'm in the corps and in the infantry.
Old 01-27-2009, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwa View Post
Its for the sake of noting advantages.

Belt-fed or magazine vs magazine.

28 round magazine from a IAR vs 28 rounds from a belt in a SAW. Same effect.

Yes you will have malfunctions caused by USGI's if you try to dump the magazine. It usually hiccuped on the 5th or 6th round.
Old 01-27-2009, 3:58 PM

Quote:

My son sure swears by his........
Old 01-27-2009, 7:23 PM

The SAW is good to go once you have to run a 240B w/tripod back and forth from the parade deck and armory.

"There is an old song which asserts that "the best things in life are free". Not true! Utterly false! This was the tragic fallacy which brought on the decadence and collapse of the democracies of the twentieth century; those noble experiments failed because the people had been led to believe that they could simply vote for whatever they wanted… and get it, without toil, without sweat, without tears."
Old 01-28-2009, 8:01 PM

the saw is fine for post or maybe a vehicle but i'd take the iar anyday. saw can supress but if you just kill the target instead you don't need all those extra rounds. it gets heavy after carrying it for 8 hours.
Old 01-28-2009, 8:59 PM
Banned

One must understand the theory of maneuver combat to understand the value of suppressive fire. The basic idea is that half of your force shoots, while the other half moves. The half that is shooting needs to put out the most massive amount of firepower that they can, since being shot at is a definite degrader of marksmanship for the bad guys. This may cause them to miss me and my boys while moving forward towards them. Once we get within hand grenade range, with enough of us left, we will win.

Ergo, if my buddy can put a 200 round belt in the face of my enemy, I am much more likely to succeed in my maneuver than if all he had to shoot was a few 30 rd mags. Believe me, a SAW can put 200 rds in your face out to 400 meters with no problem.

Last edited by 11Z50; 01-28-2009 at 9:10 PM..
Old 01-28-2009, 9:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

And a beltfed .30 is kinda heavy, especially when you factor in all the ammo.
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

WTB: Saiga .223 bolt; HK G3 bolt; Chinese AK pistol grips; milled AK cut receiver pieces and stubs.
Old 01-28-2009, 9:33 PM

good points all around and im not sure where i feel on this what i was thinking is what if you could make a dm/iar that could be active in both roles. personally i dont like the m249 as a weapon but i fully understand what it is and agree with the concept
Old 01-28-2009, 9:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Hey, my personal preference is an M24, but I don't think outfitting everybody with it would be a good idea. To each his own.

By which, of course, I meant that M40A3 is my weapon of choice. When in Rome...

WTB: Saiga .223 bolt; HK G3 bolt; Chinese AK pistol grips; milled AK cut receiver pieces and stubs.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:27 PM
MiniFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorAR View Post
Moving away from a belt fed weapon is a move in the wrong direction....yes, i'm in the corps and in the infantry.
+1 for that

Although I never really cared for the saw mainly becuase of reliability. They need to replace it with a shorter version of the 240 or maybe even give them an m60.
Old 02-02-2009, 3:30 PM

I like the saw because you can't have a faulty or crappy magazine mess with it and cause it to jam like I have had too many experiences with in my M16. But as it has been said before, good luck getting a SAW to shoot flawlessly with a m16 mag, but then again that should only be when **** really hits the fan.
Old 02-02-2009, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorscs View Post
I like the saw because you can't have a faulty or crappy magazine mess with it and cause it to jam like I have had too many experiences with in my M16. But as it has been said before, good luck getting a SAW to shoot flawlessly with a m16 mag, but then again that should only be when **** really hits the fan.
i don't really see an advantage to being able to fire mags through a saw. if your saw gunner is dry then most likely everyone else is black on ammo or near too it, the last thing you'd want to do is burn your remaining ammo through a high rate of fire weapon.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:05 AM

I'd stick with the SAW. We already have the 249E3 if people wanna get all wa-zoo and ninja about it.

Just because the douchebags at futureweapons did a show on it, doesn't mean the IAR is a better weapon.

http://www.fastclips.com/videos/FKZJfx5RumQ4

I love the "expert" analysis...
Old 02-03-2009, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. Brigade View Post
I'd stick with the SAW. We already have the 249E3 if people wanna get all wa-zoo and ninja about it.

Just because the douchebags at futureweapons did a show on it, doesn't mean the IAR is a better weapon.

http://www.fastclips.com/videos/FKZJfx5RumQ4

I love the "expert" analysis...
lwrc isnt in the final four
Old 02-03-2009, 7:04 PM

The IAR idea is f**kin retarded.

The whole concept is to switch the SAWs out with the IAR at the squad/fireteam level and keep the M16s/M4s. The SAWs will still be retained in the armory and issued on demand.

What I can see happening as the most likely result of this ill planned idea is that the SAW gunners will still retain his SAWs and the rifleman will opt to drop the 16s and M4s and pick up the IAR for perceived additional firepower. What you will end up with is a whole sh*tload of rounds going downrange and not much being hit.

What needs to happen is to replace the aging SAW inventory with the FN Mk46 or Mk48 which is basically the SAW lightened and improved, but the Marine Corps in its infinite wisdom has chosen to go it alone and spend untold amounts of money on an unproven weapon system. Just like how we are still using the old M2 instead of the updated M2 that the Belgians have had for nearly 20 years which doesn't require complex headspacing and timing procedures.

Last edited by Pryde; 02-03-2009 at 7:13 PM..
Old 02-03-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryde View Post

The whole concept is to switch the SAWs out with the IAR at the squad/fireteam level and keep the M16s/M4s. The SAWs will still be retained in the armory and issued on demand.

What I can see happening as the most likely result of this ill planned idea is that the SAW gunners will still retain his SAWs and the rifleman will opt to drop the 16s and M4s and pick up the IAR for perceived additional firepower. What you will end up with is a whole sh*tload of rounds going downrange and not much being hit.

What needs to happen is to replace the aging SAW inventory with the FN Mk46 or Mk48 which is basically the SAW lightened and improved, but the Marine Corps in its infinite wisdom has chosen to go it alone and spend untold amounts of money on an unproven weapon system. Just like how we are still using the old M2 instead of the updated M2 that the Belgians have had for nearly 20 years which doesn't require complex headspacing and timing procedures.
lol i was wondering. i read the requirement and it sounded promising but the final four candidates are rifles
Old 02-03-2009, 11:46 PM

Is having a round cook off in the chamber a normal occurrence and something that needs to be worried about in an automatic weapon? Mack mentioned that as one of the pro's in the video.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:37 PM

Zeus that is a great point. Cook off's in belt feds can be common, DO happen and are more dangerous.

My buddy lost the tip of his finger in training that way. Lifted the feed tray during a cook off. Tough lesson to learn.
Old 02-04-2009, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Zeus that is a great point. Cook off's in belt feds can be common, DO happen and are more dangerous.

My buddy lost the tip of his finger in training that way. Lifted the feed tray during a cook off. Tough lesson to learn.
i believe they happen at a greater rate and are more severe in a closed bolt
Old 02-05-2009, 8:38 PM

Quote:
i don't really see an advantage to being able to fire mags through a saw. if your saw gunner is dry then most likely everyone else is black on ammo or near too it, the last thing you'd want to do is burn your remaining ammo through a high rate of fire weapon.
I didn't say there was an advantage to being able to do so. I said that the reason I like the saw is because it doesn't take mags that can cause jams due to faulty ones. A belt is very unlikely to have a flaw that will cause a jam.
Old 02-06-2009, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorscs View Post
I didn't say there was an advantage to being able to do so. I said that the reason I like the saw is because it doesn't take mags that can cause jams due to faulty ones. A belt is very unlikely to have a flaw that will cause a jam.
i know i was talking about the theory of keeping you base of fire weapon rocking at all costs ie the ability to fire mags through the 249
Old 02-08-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryde View Post

Jesus,
Thank you Pryde.

There are better versions of the 5.56 beltfed platform. Theres no need for a freaking IAR. Once again it's *******s sitting in front of the desk all day thinking of stupid ways to improve the Marine Corps.

Anyone whose never humped a beltfed for days in the hot hadji sun needs to really stfu. Yea, it'd be great if we had beltfed bigger caliber everything, but lets be realistic here. We already carry enough crap as it is with the overweight flaks. 7.62 is HEAVY, 240g's are HEAVY. I am by no means a grunt but have had to carry the SAW a few times. I was lucky and only had to carry 400 rounds. I have pity for the bubbas that carry much more.

In an ideal world, we'd all have pulse rifles with 100 round magazines of 10mm caseless explosive tipped ammunition.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Don't you guys spread the load among the entire squad??

Old 02-08-2009, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
Don't you guys spread the load among the entire squad??
on saws we didnt 240s we did i like the stoner lmg http://www.knightarmco.com/lmg.html
Old 02-08-2009, 8:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Peanut butter jam, peanut butter jam...
Old 02-09-2009, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forumguy View Post
Peanut butter jam, peanut butter jam...
haha yep
Old 02-11-2009, 8:28 PM

We tried magazine fed squad automatic weapons in both WW2 and Korea. We went to belt-fed for a reason. Some idiot with shiny stuff on his collar is glory hunting. That is all there is to this idea.
Old 05-14-2009, 1:15 PM

5.56 is OK considering "we settled" for this round back at the end of Vietnam...and it's all our current troops "know" - 7.62 would be a much better round. Same with losing the .45 ACP round to the much lighter-in-the-*** 9mm round. Just an opinion...
Life Member, Disabled American Veterans
Life Member, Veterans of Foriegn Wars
Life Member, American Legion
Life Member, National Rifle Association

"ONLY THE DEAD HAVE SEEN THE END OF WAR." - Plato
Old 05-15-2009, 9:03 AM

You can argue back and forth till your blue in the face, simple fact of the matter is the MC has used beltfed weapons for as long as they have been around. And unless they make a drastic change in the SOP for infantry assaults(I HIGHLY doubt that). Then the Corps will always have a need and use of a beltfed weapon, be it the 249,240,M2,or MK19, it would be nice to update the SAW with a MK46 or 48. Now with that said, since the MC is the smallest branch they probably wont see anything to replace the saw until 2015 if they actually decide to do so, and even then I doubt it wont be anything but a beltfed weapon replacing a beltfed weapon!!

You dont need a bigger gun, you just need more AMMO!!!

Mosin Nagant 91/30
M1 Garand
XD Tactical .45
Mossberg 500A Persuader
Looking for complete Bushmaster AR15 20" 5.56/.223 flattop with A2 stock
Old 05-15-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleSamsMisguidedChild View Post
You can argue back and forth till your blue in the face, simple fact of the matter is the MC has used beltfed weapons for as long as they have been around. And unless they make a drastic change in the SOP for infantry assaults(I HIGHLY doubt that). Then the Corps will always have a need and use of a beltfed weapon, be it the 249,240,M2,or MK19, it would be nice to update the SAW with a MK46 or 48. Now with that said, since the MC is the smallest branch they probably wont see anything to replace the saw until 2015 if they actually decide to do so, and even then I doubt it wont be anything but a beltfed weapon replacing a beltfed weapon!!
The tactics used for an assault does not really have to be drastically changed. The principle is that the automatic rifleman (usually the assistant team leader) is to be armed with a magazine fed automatic rifle to make accurate fire and more mobility. As the assisatant team leader, he will have to take over if/when the TL goes down. This would be more difficult if he is handling the SAW. Lugging around the SAW doing individual rushes is an arse kicker making it harder to get accurate fire on target. Suppresive fire will be provided by the support element, usually Weapons Platoon's machine gunners, so having a SAW with the assualt element is really not necessary. The belt fed weapon will be around for a long time to come. Here are some links that talk about the SAW and the IAR.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...=441034&page=1

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news...ewsaw_020109w/
Old 05-15-2009, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Has anyone been using www.rwhart.com tactical rifles? A friend of ours told us the rifles are really accurate.

Last edited by scr83jp; 05-15-2009 at 7:49 PM..