Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-26-2009, 9:14 PM
Veteran Member

Default .357 Magnum 1911?

Have any of you guys seen or heard of a Coonan .357 Magnum 1911 style pistol?

I recently saw a guy shooting one of those. It was a fire-breathing dragon. Belched one great big fireball with each shot. Thought there was in a photo shoot going on in the range.

The guys at "The Gun Room" in Sac didn't like it. Asked the guy to stop shooting cuz "it made the other shooters uncomfortable". After all that, they didn't refund the guy his money. Pretty lame if you ask me.

Anyways the gun was pretty cool. It was Stainless Steel and govt. size. I didn't want to play with it too much in the parking lot... probably would have the cops called on us.
Old 01-26-2009, 9:26 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

If I was tossed for shooting a perfectly legal and legit handgun with proper ammo and following the rules, I'd be raising hell if they didn't refund my money! Not allowing you to shoot at their business is fine and dandy, but taking your money and then telling you no, is a bunch of crap.

And where might I find one of these .357 Magnum 1911's?
Old 01-26-2009, 10:01 PM

Long out of production, but they are very cool:

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg179-e.htm

You should hear one if you are shooting WWB 110gr HP's! Big fireball and lots of noise. Grip on them is big (long) compared to a standard 1911 (just like the LAR Grizzly)

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg180-e.htm

Sounds like I better not go shooting up in Sac......If I bring the Coonan and the Grizzly sounds like I'd get thrown out before I got even a full magazine through each of them!

The only way you are going to find one is if someone local wants to sell one, or if someone moves into the state with one. Both have been out of production for many, many years (and you don't want to see the price of magazines....last I saw a Coonan mag for sale it was in the neighborhood of $150)
Old 01-26-2009, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, thats the one! Wish I had a chance to shoot it. The guy finished a mag and was all in the black. I think the gun room has a 20yd range.

I didn't like the old guy with the beard... I was just looking at the guns in the display case and ammo on the shelves and he told me if I wasn't shooting to step back away from the counter. They were real busy. A line of 6-8 people deep wanting to shoot as well as a waiting list. He and some kid were the ones who asked him to leave.

Can't believe he would shoot a gun long out of production. Probably worth alot of money in pristine condition it was in... it sure was clean. Looked like it was just bought. No scratches on the slide, grips, or anything. You could even still see the ".357 Magnum" printing on the barrel thru the ejection port.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

At $150.00 that magazine would be a bargain. I've got a Coonan, just sold off one that someone had "1911'ized" by lopping off the front 2" or so of the dust cover. Looked OK I guess, but obviously no collector value. They're good guns and well made, don't really think of them as being overly loud though.

I was back east last year, Kittery Trading Post in Maine had two sitting up there for about $800.00 each. Not too expensive. I think not being able to get them into CA increases the "gotta have it" factor.

I have to say, I've yet to hear anything good about the Gun Room.

Last edited by dfletcher; 01-26-2009 at 10:21 PM..
Old 01-26-2009, 10:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_DiveR View Post

Can't believe he would shoot a gun long out of production. Probably worth alot of money in pristine condition it was in... it sure was clean. Looked like it was just bought. No scratches on the slide, grips, or anything. You could even still see the ".357 Magnum" printing on the barrel thru the ejection port.

Well...Mosin Nagants are out of production too.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:33 PM
NRA Training Counselor
CGN Contributor

The Gun Room Strikes again. They are well on their way to alienating every shooter in the Sacramento area.

NRA Certified Instructor
Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety,Muzzleloading, Personal Protection Series, Chief Range Safety Officer, Refuse to be a victim Regional counselor

Smog Inspections in the Sacramento area.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
They were real busy. A line of 6-8 people deep wanting to shoot as well as a waiting list. He and some kid were the ones who asked him to leave.
Hmmm....I think I would have been shooting both of them more then! Maybe I would get some of the people to leave the range! LOL

Seriously though, I felt bad one time. TRW pistol shooting club was at the range shooting a match....with their rimfires! The Grizzly feels like you are being punched in the chest, even if you are 6 or 8 lanes away. They would stop for breaks and I would shoot, but whenever they would resume their match, I would stop....just common courtesy for fellow shooters.

Quote:
They are not real common, but not like there is only 2 of them either. Seriously though, they are all tools and are meant to be used as a tool. 100 year old "antiques" were at some point the tools that protected someone's home and put food on their table. You are just the temporary caretaker of them for a while. Go out and shoot whatever you've got. That was what they were made for....

I guess over the last few years, I've run into a few too many brothers or widows liquidating their deceased relative's entire collection. They had no interest in them. Gave me reason to pause and re-evaluate my own collection. Kind of that "hmmm....is this how it ends"....

I have decided that if I don't shoot it, and don't really intend to, let it go. Let someone else enjoy it. I've sold a couple of nice firearms recently, for simple reason of I had no intention of shooting them, so why not let someone else who would truly enjoy it for what it was created for own it. I used to have a "buy, buy, buy...and never sell" mentality, but I suppose through the years, I've come to see it a different way. (I may sound like an old timer, but I'm not even 40 yet....just got a new perspective on life is all)
Old 01-26-2009, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbopanda View Post
Well...Mosin Nagants are out of production too.
True, but according to the website SVRider posted, there weren't too many in production. Too bad it is no longer in production... only .357 Mag left is a Desert Eagle. I have nothing against a DE but ever try to carry one? How do you conceal one of those? "Excuse me sir, but is that a DE in you pants or are you VERY happy to see me?"
Old 01-26-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
I've got a Coonan, just sold off one that someone had "1911'ized" by lopping off the front 2" or so of the dust cover.

(I hope this textless reply appropriately expresses my disgust...)
Old 01-26-2009, 11:54 PM
Veteran Member

That is so cool, will it load and shoot 38sp?

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldnoob View Post
It wouldn't cycle properly.

Last edited by jumbopanda; 01-27-2009 at 12:35 AM..
Old 01-27-2009, 1:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldnoob View Post
According to the website, Coonan also made a .38 +P kit with a spacer in the mag and a reduced power recoil spring.

The guy said he takes it deer hunting!
Old 01-27-2009, 8:26 AM
Veteran Member

I almost bought one when I turned 21 back in the early 90's it was a three way split between a S&W 1006, a Coonan and a S&W 686, the 686 won

I never did get the 1006 or the Coonan but there is still time
Old 01-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Calguns Addict

I kind of find this post funny, because I know the owner loves shooting his LARS Grizzly collection (45 WinMags etc) in there, and they have SW 500's to rent, so you are telling me they got bent over a .357. . .really?. . . . seriously?. . . .do you really expect someone to believe this? I call BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier415 View Post
I am naked except for seatless white chaps, a boonie hat and a tactical vest playing HALO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
I don't like getting my butt kicked, but I would like to have it spanked by some big hairy guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
I wouldn't put "mounting a weasel" past too many people on this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...
-Gene
Old 01-27-2009, 11:42 AM
I need a LIFE!!

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=121363279

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=121709529

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=121513182

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=121687685

heres 4 for sale on gb, looks like @ least 2 are in california
Old 01-27-2009, 11:46 AM

Default recoil is extreme.

I was at the range when another shooter had a 1911 357magnum Grizzly. Similar to the Coonan 357magnum.

It was loud, tons of flash, and it was a 1911. Just utterly awesome on every level.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post
I kind of find this post funny, because I know the owner loves shooting his LARS Grizzly collection (45 WinMags etc) in there, and they have SW 500's to rent, so you are telling me they got bent over a .357. . .really?. . . . seriously?. . . .do you really expect someone to believe this? I call BS.

Believe what you will.

I was just asking the guy about his boomer (outside) and that's what he told me. Maybe it's cuz they were slam packed busy... dunno. Maybe he was pulling my leg and/or didn't like the guys there... dunno. All I can say is what was said and what I saw. I know the old guy kept looking over his shoulder whenever the guy shot and looked stressed (perturbed?). Maybe that's why he snapped at me to step back from the counter... also dunno. I flunked out of the Kreskin school of mind reading, so I can't tell you what marbles were rolling around in his head. Again, all I report is what I heard and what was said. You come to your own conclusions.

I was just there looking around and seeing what all the hubbub was about. The guys (and gal) on the sales side were anxious to help me (they kept asking me) even tho I was just looking around (I was pricing/looking for a Nikon Monarch or a Leupy MK4). To me, the prices seemed kinda high but no more than most... not out-of-this-world high. Even the answers to the questions from the other customers were pretty much on the up and up. Even ones about EBR's to the asian kid was OK. He even mentioned that they do not, "sell or stock those AR parts" (not AW's). Nonetheless they were still doing a brisk business. I saw 2 handguns sold and 3 HSC tests taken in the time I was there

Believe what you want and throw out the rest with the garbage. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!!!
Old 01-27-2009, 1:05 PM
Veteran Member

Looks like they ain't going for $800... but no more than a Kimber or Wilson.

Sure would be nice to have tho. My very own fire-breathing dragon.
Always wanted a Wildey ever since I saw Dirty Harry! A .470 Peterbuilt or something like that.

Does a .460, .480, or .500 throw fireballs like that? Never seen one fired so I dunno.
Old 01-27-2009, 1:24 PM

Yeah, but at least one of those in CA are in being sold by a dealer, so he can't even sell it to a non LEO in CA, and the other will also have to go outside CA if it has to be shipped, even if a private party selling it. That reallly sucks to see a cool piece have to be sent out of CA. That just shows how important it is to do everything you can to keep non-roster firearms in PRIVATE (non FFL Dealer) hands.

"please guys please no ridiculous offers....Im a girl, not an idiot" Mistisa242

Last edited by fairfaxjim; 01-27-2009 at 1:37 PM..
Old 01-27-2009, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freonr22 View Post
heres 4 for sale on gb, looks like @ least 2 are in california
Problem is it looks like both of them are being sold by dealers, not PPT, so no love for mere citizens of California.....
Old 01-27-2009, 1:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRider View Post

(I hope this textless reply appropriately expresses my disgust...)
At the "modification" - I agree. I actually bought the thing for $650.00 as a fixer upper, figuring I'd add a dovetail front sight & an adjustable rear or a Novak, ambi safety also. Make a few other changes - different hammer. It was already crapped on, so I thought what the hell. Never got around to it, sold it to a friend & now it sits at Tabors awaiting some work by him along the same lines as I was going to do.

Ah - and before you mention, the reason for the new dovetail front sight is because whoever chopped the cover also decided to spot weld the original removable front sight in place.
Old 01-27-2009, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Always wanted a Wildey ever since I saw Dirty Harry!
Close, but slightly different.

The Dirty Harry pistol was the Automag:

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg177-e.htm

(another long out of production, but I've seen a few pop up both here and local stores for sale).

Wildey was Charles Bronson (Death Wish III)

http://www.wildeyguns.com/wildey.html

Externally, they look similar, but they are in actuallity very different pistols. Ballistically, the 475 Wildey Mag is a monster. Energy levels and bullet weights of the 44AMP are close to 44 Magnum levels. 475 Wildey on the other hand are much heavier bullets driven at energy levels close to 2,000fpe.

Funny part is, considering the Wildey is still in production while the Automag is long out of production, I've seen several Automags for sale in California. The last time I think I saw a Wildey, it was new in a store.
Old 01-27-2009, 3:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762cavalier View Post
The Gun Room Strikes again. They are well on their way to alienating every shooter in the Sacramento area.
I could have sworn that they had gone out of business many years ago.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 01-27-2009, 3:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

And out of the two that are in CA one of them says "NO SALES IN CALIFORNIA". Whats up with that?

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 01-27-2009, 5:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Close, but slightly different.

The Dirty Harry pistol was the Automag:.....

Wildey was Charles Bronson (Death Wish III).....

Funny part is, considering the Wildey is still in production while the Automag is long out of production, I've seen several Automags for sale in California. The last time I think I saw a Wildey, it was new in a store.
I stand corrected! You are absolutely correct. I also wanted an AutoMag to go with the Hardballer I have. Man, getting old sucks. I must be getting part-timers or something... did I mention getting old sucks?

You say thw Wildey is still in production? When/Where??? I thought they went belly up years ago. I guess it's time to start saving my ss checks and get one... Did I mention getting old sucks!!??
Old 01-27-2009, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
And out of the two that are in CA one of them says "NO SALES IN CALIFORNIA". Whats up with that?
They are dealers. Dealers cannot sell off-roster handguns in California. Only PPT's....
Old 01-27-2009, 6:06 PM

Quote:
You say thw Wildey is still in production? When/Where??? I thought they went belly up years ago. I guess it's time to start saving my ss checks and get one... Did I mention getting old sucks!!??
I hate to tease...they are there....

.....but you can't have one (not unless they find a creative way to add them to our illustrious roster of "safe handguns". No soup for you! (unless you can find someone with one already here willing to let it go)
Old 01-28-2009, 12:55 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I hate to tease...they are there....

.....but you can't have one (not unless they find a creative way to add them to our illustrious roster of "safe handguns". No soup for you! (unless you can find someone with one already here willing to let it go)
OMG! I can't win for losing! I can't get the AutoMag that was up for sale here recently and now I can only drool and smash my face on the window of a gun store in another state! What next... I need a signed letter from the local police chief stating that I can play with dangerous weapons!!?? Or maybe Elvis is really DEAD!!??

Last edited by Sky_DiveR; 01-28-2009 at 12:57 AM..