Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 10-23-2018, 1:05 PM

Default Need Instructions for C&R/COE 10 day wait exemption for C&R Handgun PPT

Does anyone who is an FFL01 or who works for one have any instructions on doing a PPT for a C&R handgun with a 10-day wait exemption for holders of a C&R/COE? I was at a store today trying to get a C&R handgun transferred to me (I have a C&R/COE) but the store didn't know how to process with the 10-day wait exemption. They said they would like to do it but didn't know how to enter it. The even let us look at the computer screen with them and under the section for PPTs, the drop down menu for the 10-day wait exemption did not have an option for C&R/COE holders.

I found a calguns thread from a couple of years ago in which someone said there was this glitch with the software and that the FFL01 had to accept the C&R handgun into their stock and then "sell" it to you. Is that still the case?

We tried to call another local store to see if they could do the transfer but after being on hold forever while they were trying to see if they could do it, we hung up. In the end I didn't want to inconvenience the seller any more with the delay so we did the normal transfer and I'll be making the long drive in a couple of weeks to pick up the piece.

Anyway, I was hoping an FFL01 could chime in so I (and anyone else) can keep the instructions handy just in case. I do believe the LGS wanted to do this, they just didn't know how.

Thanks,
Old 10-23-2018, 1:18 PM

This bulletin might help.

https://ibb.co/mPPFFy

They can actually call the DOJ and they will walk them through it. And the last I heard, you still can not release a PPT C&R the same day. It has to be done as a dealer sell.

Post this question in FFL section. Those guy will know more.
Old 10-23-2018, 6:17 PM

DOJ can do a manual release for C&R handguns the same day as long as the buyer has a C&R and a COE. I've bought a couple C&R handguns recently and taken them home the same day. The FFL 01 or dealer has to be knowledgeable enough to call DOJ and request the release, though. Not all are. Also, it has to be during regular business hours M-F since DOJ isn't open outside those hours.
Old 10-23-2018, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photorog View Post
DOJ can do a manual release for C&R handguns the same day as long as the buyer has a C&R and a COE. I've bought a couple C&R handguns recently and taken them home the same day. The FFL 01 or dealer has to be knowledgeable enough to call DOJ and request the release, though. Not all are. Also, it has to be during regular business hours M-F since DOJ isn't open outside those hours.
All correct, except that the DES helpline is open 7 days a week, and well into the evening as well.
Old 10-23-2018, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagelBites View Post
All correct, except that the DES helpline is open 7 days a week, and well into the evening as well.
Didn't know that, good to know. Always a hassle to arrange a meet during normal business hours. Thanks!
Old 10-23-2018, 6:26 PM
I have 1 Gunz
CGN Contributor

It may be of benefit to post this question in the FFL forum.
Old 10-24-2018, 8:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photorog View Post
PPT or dealer sale?

if it is a dealer sale they do not need to call anyone, it will allow you to release same day.
Old 10-24-2018, 8:52 AM

I believe if it is a PPT, the dealer must take possession, enter it into their books and then transfer it to you, kind of like if the weapons was purchased from another shop and sent over your FFL to handle. Some shops will not go through that hassle to have you skip your 10 day weight.

When I worked at a shop there was no way to same day deliver a PPT C&R gun.

Last edited by 19K; 10-24-2018 at 8:59 AM..
Old 10-24-2018, 9:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19K View Post
PPT or dealer sale?

if it is a dealer sale they do not need to call anyone, it will allow you to release same day.
PPT. You're right, if it's a dealer sale, no need to call to release.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:33 AM

Always ask a LGS if they know how to process this type of transaction. I use Guns Direct in Burbank, call ahead to verify someone on shift that day knows how to do this. I have spoken with Ace Jewelry and Loan in West Covina, they said they know how to process such a transaction.
Old 10-24-2018, 4:32 PM

Which city are you in?( I’m on the mobile site)
Old 12-04-2018, 7:21 PM

I just had the same situation a couple of days ago with a C&R long gun. I drove 1 1/2 hours for a PPT thinking it would be released the same day. The FFL showed me the computer screen. There was no exemption for C&R/COE.
I'll have to make the drive again in a couple of weeks.
I don't see how a shop would take possession of the gun, then transfer it to you as a dealer sale. It would not be a PPT any more. It'd be more like a consignment sale. The shop would want to charge a commission and sales tax for the transaction, wouldn't it?
Old 12-14-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yauzer View Post
I just had the same situation a couple of days ago with a C&R long gun. I drove 1 1/2 hours for a PPT thinking it would be released the same day. The FFL showed me the computer screen. There was no exemption for C&R/COE.
I'll have to make the drive again in a couple of weeks.
I don't see how a shop would take possession of the gun, then transfer it to you as a dealer sale. It would not be a PPT any more. It'd be more like a consignment sale. The shop would want to charge a commission and sales tax for the transaction, wouldn't it?
why did you go to a shop in the first place? if you have a C&R and COE, an 01 transfer is not needed.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

PPT of a C&R handgun is the same as a PPT of any other handgun in DES. You are not 10-day exempt for handguns in DES, even as an 03+COE holder because of the requirement to record the seller information (this is a software issue). The only method to be exempt from 10-day is if the dealer takes the pistol into their inventory then transfers it to you as a dealer transaction (which they will likely not do).

The DOJ bulletin posted early is for 03+COE 1-30 exemption to Rostered pistols. Does not apply here.

Basically, unless you are super friendly with the FFL, you're stuck waiting 10-days.

Here's an older thread about this: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1055036

Regarding PPT of C&R long guns for the other member: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1393659

Last edited by code_blue; 12-14-2018 at 11:31 AM..
Old 12-14-2018, 11:27 AM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by code_blue View Post
The only method to be exempt from 10-day is if the dealer takes the pistol into their inventory then transfers it to you as a dealer transaction (which they will likely not do).
Incorrect. The dealer can call the DES hotline and get a manual release for a C&R PPT.

When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance is Duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas
“For those of us who work in marbled halls, guarded constantly by a vigilant and dedicated police force, the guarantees of the Second Amendment might seem antiquated and superfluous. But the Framers made a clear choice: They reserved to all Americans the right to bear arms for self-defense. I do not think we should stand by idly while a state denies its citizens that right, particularly when their very lives may depend on it.”
Old 12-14-2018, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by six seven tango View Post
Incorrect. The dealer can call the DES hotline and get a manual release for a C&R PPT.

Yes, but that is another "dealer will likely not do" with the addition of assuming that the DES helpline person knows the deal.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:53 AM
CGSSA Associate

I've never had a problem. Just ask nicely. Most dealers enjoy learning new things. It brings them more business. Unless, of course, you're dealing with some jack wagon who just doesn't want to do PPT's.

When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance is Duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas
“For those of us who work in marbled halls, guarded constantly by a vigilant and dedicated police force, the guarantees of the Second Amendment might seem antiquated and superfluous. But the Framers made a clear choice: They reserved to all Americans the right to bear arms for self-defense. I do not think we should stand by idly while a state denies its citizens that right, particularly when their very lives may depend on it.”
Old 12-16-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19K View Post
why did you go to a shop in the first place? if you have a C&R and COE, an 01 transfer is not needed.
The seller wanted to get his name off of the gun through an FFL01 because he was paranoid about BOF form 961. Ironically he works for an FFL01, which was not open on the day I was available and he did not know how to release it the same day anyway. He was willing to ship it to my local FFL01 but shipping plus transfer fee would have cost 25% of the selling price. Also, my local FFL01 said they would charge sales tax on the transaction as well since it was shipping and would not qualify as a tax exempt PPT. It was pointless for me to argue about the legalities of CA's confusing gun laws as everyone wants to play it safe.
I ended up driving 150 miles a second time to pick it up 2 weeks later.