Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 01-25-2009, 7:46 PM

Default Joining the Army!

I am strongly considering joining the California National Guard and I have a few questions. How long does the process take? I am getting married in June so I wouldn't want to go to basic training until some months after that. Also, what are the enlistment terms? If I enlisted for say 8 years, how much of that could I expect to be deployed for?

I have been considering this for many years I just haven't don't it yet. I was stuck on being deployed. Now I realize that it is apart of the National Guard. I had a long talk with my soon to be wife earlier this evening and we came to an agreement. I was considering the California State Military Reserve but she said if I was going to do it, that I should do that real thing(And get paid for it).

When deployment comes around, how long could I expect to be deployed for?

Sorry for asking so many questions. I have always felt that it was my duty to serve me country and it seems like a good experience. My mom always told me that she would disown me if I ever actually did it. I now realize that this is not reality and that she will deal with it.

Thank you guys for serving and keeping this great country alive, I hope to be among your ranks in the not to far off future.

Last edited by thebloodsonthewall; 01-31-2009 at 2:49 PM.. Reason: Title change
Old 01-25-2009, 8:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebloodsonthewall View Post
I am strongly considering joining the California National Guard and I have a few questions. How long does the process take? I am getting married in June so I wouldn't want to go to basic training until some months after that. Also, what are the enlistment terms? If I enlisted for say 8 years, how much of that could I expect to be deployed for?
Enlistment process takes a few days, maybe 2 weeks if you have issues to deal with. As for shipping to training... I dunno.

Quote:
I have been considering this for many years I just haven't don't it yet. I was stuck on being deployed. Now I realize that it is apart of the National Guard. I had a long talk with my soon to be wife earlier this evening and we came to an agreement. I was considering the California State Military Reserve but she said if I was going to do it, that I should do that real thing(And get paid for it). .
Excuse me... THE REAL THING?

Quote:
When deployment comes around, how long could I expect to be deployed for?
Well, Border watch, wildfires, earthquakes, training missions, overseas depolyments... Its all up in the air. In the regular Army, depolyments run from 12 to 15 months.

Quote:
Sorry for asking so many questions. I have always felt that it was my duty to serve me country and it seems like a good experience. My mom always told me that she would disown me if I ever actually did it. I now realize that this is not reality and that she will deal with it.

Thank you guys for serving and keeping this great country alive, I hope to be among your ranks in the not to far off future.
Whats your situation like right now?
Are you in school?
Have a solid career going?
Does the Guard units in your area have the MOS avalible that you are interested in?

These are all things to consider. You need to evaluate your situation and explore all your options. The guard is a good part time gig for old Soldiers, guys with a career, full time college students, etc. if you are trying to actually get something started and have a full range of options and benefits then you might want to consider going another direction, like active duty. Also, remember, CA is broke, and the guard gets its funding from the state. So consider that when the recruiter is talking to you about money for school, bonuses, etc.

**FULL DISCLOSURE** I am an Army recruiter. (Real, full time Army, not NG)
Old 01-25-2009, 8:15 PM

I am 21 years old and I work full time in construction and I make alright money but it is not what I want to do for a career. I am in community college full-time and I eventually want to get a my BA. If I enlisted in the Army, how is it different the the NG? I like the idea of being able to help out in country if there was an emergency, would that still happen in the Army? Does the army have the same MOS? I don't know a whole lot on this if you can't tell. What are the enlistment terms?
Old 01-25-2009, 9:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I am 21 years old and I work full time in construction and I make alright money but it is not what I want to do for a career. I am in community college full-time and I eventually want to get a my BA. If I enlisted in the Army, how is it different the the NG? I like the idea of being able to help out in country if there was an emergency, would that still happen in the Army? Does the army have the same MOS? I don't know a whole lot on this if you can't tell. What are the enlistment terms?
The regular Active duty Army is a full time gig with full pay and benefits.
The guard will give you pay and benefits for your one weekend a month and two weeks a year.
The RA (regular army) has 150+ MOSs to choose from.
In the guard you are limited to whats in your area.

Theres alot of differences between the two that can be beneficial either way, depends on the person. For me, I wanted to be a Combat Soldier and there was no way I was trusting somebody who wasnt dedicated to the job to watch my a**. The guard never crossed my mind, neither did the reserves, I wanted to do the real thing. Intially, I enlisted to do 4 years and planned on moving on, but I really love the Army and just cant see myself doing anything else right now. Its the easiest job in the world, show up in the right place at the right time, in the right uniform and do your job and you have no worries. Deployments dont bother me, my grandfather was deployed for more than 2 years in WWII, what the hell do I have to complain about. Being killed doesnt bother me, people die everyday, at least my wife gets my SGLI and my baby gets her college tution covered!

Seriously, if you cant find a real reason not to, you should at least consider doing active duty service for a couple of years, the benfits will stay with you forever and youll have a huge leg up on most of the NG Soldiers in your unit if you decide to go that way afterwards.
Old 01-25-2009, 9:14 PM

Could I enlist for 2 years and reenlist if that is what I decide to do? I think you convinced me to join the RA. It looks like there is a recruiter not to far from me. I will have to go down there this week.
Old 01-25-2009, 9:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Could I enlist for 2 years and reenlist if that is what I decide to do? I think you convinced me to join the RA. It looks like there is a recruiter not to far from me. I will have to go down there this week.
There are 2 year enlistments for some MOSs, usually youll see 3 or 4 year enlistments though. Before you go talk to anyone in a regular Army office, call me so I can make sure you get the straight scoop. Not all recruiters are good, that goes for every branch, Ill set you up with the right questions and info so you go in fully aware.

Im PMing you my number, call me tomorrow.
Old 01-25-2009, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavTrooper View Post
There are 2 year enlistments for some MOSs, usually youll see 3 or 4 year enlistments though. Before you go talk to anyone in a regular Army office, call me so I can make sure you get the straight scoop. Not all recruiters are good, that goes for every branch, Ill set you up with the right questions and info so you go in fully aware.

Perfect, Thank you!
Old 01-26-2009, 6:54 AM
CGSSA Leader

whats the age cut off?
Old 01-26-2009, 7:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Age cutoff for US Army is 42.

If you are prior service military then subtract your years of service from your age, if its under 42, then youre good to go.
Old 01-27-2009, 7:43 PM
Banned

My thoughts are for you to do a 2-3 year enlistment in the combat arms, regular army. The initial start in the combat arms will establish you as a warrior, and even if later you opt for a more cushy MOS, your experience will assist you in promotions, and in general, status. This will give you the sound basis for a career later if you choose. If you stay regular or go reserve or guard to finish out your 8-year commitment, the knowledge and experience you will get early on will serve you well.

Remember though, that the Guard and Reserve are not the stay-at-home propositions they were a few years ago. You will be deployed, and probably more than twice.

The payoffs are:
1) you have served your country
2) you will get to shoot some real guns
3) you will see, do and kill things you otherwise would not have
4) you will get some good pay and benefits
5) you can say you are veteran, and call me and many others a buddy

I am proud of you for listening to the call. Many never hear it.
Old 01-27-2009, 7:46 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Z50 View Post
My thoughts are for you to do a 2-3 year enlistment in the combat arms, regular army. The initial start in the combat arms will establish you as a warrior, and even if later you opt for a more cushy MOS, your experience will assist you in promotions, and in general, status. This will give you the sound basis for a career later if you choose. If you stay regular or go reserve or guard to finish out your 8-year commitment, the knowledge and experience you will get early on will serve you well.

Remember though, that the Guard and Reserve are not the stay-at-home propositions they were a few years ago. You will be deployed, and probably more than twice.

The payoffs are:
1) you have served your country
2) you will get to shoot some real guns
3) you will see, do and kill things you otherwise would not have
4) you will get some good pay and benefits
5) you can say you are veteran, and call me and many others a buddy

I am proud of you for listening to the call. Many never hear it.
HOOAAH! MSG!
Old 01-29-2009, 1:49 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

only if he was in socal he would have been a good pull
Old 01-29-2009, 3:55 PM

I just happen to be an Army National Guard Recruiter. PM Sent!
Old 01-29-2009, 4:57 PM
Banned

Dang Chuck......make mission, go fishin' time! Good for you!
Old 01-29-2009, 6:57 PM

So an update:

I spoke with Cavtrooper and he got me all set-up with a recruiter in my area. I took the practice ASVAB today and I got a 74. I am going to take the real one tomorrow. I have decided that I am joining the Army. I am getting married June 6 and I will be going to BCT two or three weeks after. They are letting me put it off so far because I am enrolled in college full time this semester. Oh yeah, they told me that I would be going in as an E-3 based on my qualifications and whatnot.
Old 01-29-2009, 7:28 PM
Veteran Member

It's good that you're doing this now, while you're young and just have a small family (wife to be). Military life can be hard on families, during the time you're deployed and right afterwards. Your wife will become used to being head of her household while you're gone, and there'll often be some role confusion when you return after one. Just be aware of it.

Also, the Army will move you to wherever they need you. I haven't been in the military myself, but I've been in a military family for 22 years. I know what family life is in the service. You're going to be heading into probably the most intense, interesting, and odd time of your life. Cherish every minute of it... even the times you dislike.

When you leave Active Duty, you're going to look far more attractive to employers as you're going to show them that you're no-nonsense and disciplined, and you're going to be far more mature than most other people your age.

I would require a waiver to be able to serve...

When I'm done with school, I'll still be way under 42... so I might give it a go at that time.

Last edited by CSDGuy; 01-29-2009 at 7:39 PM..
Old 01-29-2009, 7:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
So an update:

I spoke with Cavtrooper and he got me all set-up with a recruiter in my area. I took the practice ASVAB today and I got a 74. I am going to take the real one tomorrow. I have decided that I am joining the Army. I am getting married June 6 and I will be going to BCT two or three weeks after. They are letting me put it off so far because I am enrolled in college full time this semester. Oh yeah, they told me that I would be going in as an E-3 based on my qualifications and whatnot.
Congratulations. I actually envy you! If I had it to do over I certainly would, but I wouldn't change much. There will be hard times, but good times too. You'll make friends for life, and see and do things others just wonder about. It makes me proud there are still brave young men out there who step up and serve. You are a patriot and I salute you!
Old 01-29-2009, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Z50 View Post
Congratulations. I actually envy you! If I had it to do over I certainly would, but I wouldn't change much. There will be hard times, but good times too. You'll make friends for life, and see and do things others just wonder about. It makes me proud there are still brave young men out there who step up and serve. You are a patriot and I salute you!
I am not quiet sure how to respond to that. Your response and others like it from various people definitely help reassure my decision. I salute you as well. Thank you for serving!

I am telling my parents this weekend. It should be interesting.
Old 01-29-2009, 7:56 PM
Veteran Member

thebloodsonthewall: I'm proud that there continue to be patriots like you who are willing to stand up and serve in my stead, for I can not... and not by choice. Even if I do get into the service, there will be career paths that will NOT be (and never will be) open to me. In that, I truly envy you.
Old 01-29-2009, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSDGuy View Post
thebloodsonthewall: I'm proud that there continue to be patriots like you who are willing to stand up and serve in my stead, for I can not... and not by choice. Even if I do get into the service, there will be career paths that will NOT be (and never will be) open to me. In that, I truly envy you.
I am very glad that I am young and healthy. I scored well on the practice ASVAB so I should be able to choose from many different MOS's.
Old 01-29-2009, 8:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Good stuff! Im glad you got taken care of. You will do very well on the ASVAB and have lots of opportunities avalible to you. Make sure you keep reminding those guys up there where that contract came from. Youve got my number so if you have any questions, dont hesitate to call. Also, if your wife to be wants to talk to someone Ill put her in touch with my wife so she can get that perspective.

Good job man, let me know when you pick your MOS and when you sign.

Congrats!
Old 01-29-2009, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Good stuff! Im glad you got taken care of. You will do very well on the ASVAB and have lots of opportunities avalible to you. Make sure you keep reminding those guys up there where that contract came from. Youve got my number so if you have any questions, dont hesitate to call. Also, if your wife to be wants to talk to someone Ill put her in touch with my wife so she can get that perspective.

Good job man, let me know when you pick your MOS and when you sign.

Congrats!
Thanks for all your help. Your phone call today really shock some stuff up. I got a grand reception when I showed up though. I will make sure to remind him a few times where the contract came from.

I will talk to her and see if she would like to talk to your wife. I would be surprised if she doesn't. She is sleeping now but I will ask her tomorrow.
Old 01-29-2009, 9:13 PM
Banned

Not only Calgunners, but Military taking care of each other.....outstanding
Old 01-30-2009, 8:03 AM

So what MOS are you going for?
Old 01-30-2009, 8:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76231b View Post
So what MOS are you going for?
I am going to take the ASVAB in a few hours and then I will know what I am qualified for, so I will go from there.
Old 01-30-2009, 1:46 PM

So how'd it go? And did you talk to your recruiter about that BS he gave you about having to choose a job within seven days of your ASVAB? I hope so. Looks like you're in good hands bud...keep us posted! BTW..did you decide on Guard or Active?
Old 01-30-2009, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckBooty View Post
So how'd it go? And did you talk to your recruiter about that BS he gave you about having to choose a job within seven days of your ASVAB? I hope so. Looks like you're in good hands bud...keep us posted! BTW..did you decide on Guard or Active?
I scored an 88 and it got 129 on most of the other sections. My lowest was still in the high 120's I believe. I am not leaving until end of June/ beginning on July and he couldn't pull up the positions available for that so he is going to figure that out and meet with me again early next week. Some of the jobs offered to me seem pretty good. I am going to go Active. I didn't ask him about the 7 days. It doesn't really bother me, I want to get everything taken care of so I might as well just do it now and be done.
Old 01-30-2009, 5:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
When an applicant reserves a MOS with thier recruiter, they have 7 days to enlist or that slot goes away.

Not sure if whoever you heard your version from was either lied to or misunderstood what they were told. If youve been doing this for more than a minute then you know how easily an applicant can turn what they heard into soemthing else, kinda like the kids I talk to that are told by NG recruiters that "the National Guard doesnt deploy overseas"... hahahaha!
Old 01-30-2009, 5:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I scored an 88 and it got 129 on most of the other sections. My lowest was still in the high 120's I believe. I am not leaving until end of June/ beginning on July and he couldn't pull up the positions available for that so he is going to figure that out and meet with me again early next week. Some of the jobs offered to me seem pretty good. I am going to go Active. I didn't ask him about the 7 days. It doesn't really bother me, I want to get everything taken care of so I might as well just do it now and be done.
Good job man! Gimme a call when you get a chance.
Old 01-30-2009, 6:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Great lines scores. Did you also take a DLAB at MEPS?
Old 01-30-2009, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Good job man! Gimme a call when you get a chance.
I'll call you on Monday. The recruiter came over to my apartment after I took the ASVAB and he talked to my fiance for awhile. The recruiter that is helping me if from Grass Valley which is about an hour and a half away from where I live. But I still get to participate in the Future Warriors program out of the office that is less then three miles from my place.
Old 01-30-2009, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwl View Post
Great lines scores. Did you also take a DLAB at MEPS?
Thanks, I only took the ASVAB. What is the DLAB?
Old 01-30-2009, 7:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thanks, I only took the ASVAB. What is the DLAB?
Defense language aptitude battery..

Tests your ability to learn laguages. Youll take the test if you want to get an intel type MOS.

Its easy, might as well do it if youre planning to go for somehting like that, oh yeah, whenyou go down to physical, make sure you take the airborne physical as well... in case you wanna jump out of airplanes.
Old 01-30-2009, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Defense language aptitude battery..

Tests your ability to learn laguages. Youll take the test if you want to get an intel type MOS.

Its easy, might as well do it if youre planning to go for somehting like that, oh yeah, whenyou go down to physical, make sure you take the airborne physical as well... in case you wanna jump out of airplanes.
When he showed me that jobs I was qualified for, it was only for the next 30 days. Is he going to be able to show me the ones that are open for when I am going to be leaving in June/July?

I will make sure to take both physicals.
Old 01-30-2009, 8:00 PM

Also, how much are the jobs that I that are available in this 30 day period going to change?
Old 01-30-2009, 8:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Avalibilities change every so often, dont worry about it though. Just find out exactly what MOS you want or whats most importaint to you (college money, bonus money, time) and stick with it. Do your research on MOSs. If you tell them exactly what MOS you want and youre ready to sign right now they will make it happen.
Old 01-31-2009, 8:49 AM

Great scores man! You need to go military imtelligence. That top secret clearence is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Old 01-31-2009, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Great scores man! You need to go military imtelligence. That top secret clearence is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.
I was thinking about going MP. Seems like it would be able to transfer to many different civilian jobs later on down the road. I was also considering 15U - CH-47 Repairer, 25U, 15J which is aircraft systems repairer, or 94E Radio Communications Security Repairer.

I may be getting a slightly different list on Monday so maybe something interesting will pop up on there.

Do you have any input on any of those?
Old 01-31-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I was thinking about going MP. Seems like it would be able to transfer to many different civilian jobs later on down the road. I was also considering 15U - CH-47 Repairer, 25U, 15J which is aircraft systems repairer, or 94E Radio Communications Security Repairer.

I may be getting a slightly different list on Monday so maybe something interesting will pop up on there.

Do you have any input on any of those?
They're all great jobs. The only caveat is that there are no civilian LEA's that count MP experience as actual "law enforcement" experience. If your goal is to eventually become a police officer, I always recommend people become a 68W (medic/emt). These are real-world skills that you'll be able to employ as a cop. You'll get credit for having served in the military AND you'll get credit for being an EMT.

I'm always bias towards intelligence (that's my MOS). Look at MOS 35M (Human Intelligence Collector): http://www.goarmy.com/JobDetail.do?id=152

You will have to take the DLAB for this job and get a language. But when you get out, you're making big $$$ w/ one of the three-letter agencies.
Old 01-31-2009, 7:38 PM
Banned

In California, MP experience does count towards a PI or PPO license. MP experience, while not directly creditable towards POST credit is still considered when one applies for a LEO position. Military experience in general is sometimes a plus, depending on the agency.

Depending on what type of LEO job you are after, MP experience may or may not be relevant. One thing that is often overlooked is the networking aspect. Many cops are MP reservists, so when you get off AD you can go to a Guard MP battalion and make some valuable connections.

I have some experience in intel, and I'd have to say you should look at that career field. If you can go thru DLI and become fluent in another lingo, that is highly desirable. Intel will teach you many skills that are applicable to investigative work.

While I don't think that learning a skill for civilian use later should be the primary reason for joining, you might as well learn what you can. I was primarily infantry, but in that MOS you do a little of everything. In my career, I worked in intel, personnel, admin, and ops (and even a little log) all while in an infantry battalion. You might take a look at that, since smart guys in the infantry go far fast!

Last edited by 11Z50; 01-31-2009 at 7:45 PM..