Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 02-07-2009, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothis View Post
I missed it if already mentioned but DUCK TAPE...or silicon tape.
Don't buy the camo duck tape though. I did, now I can't find it.

Old 02-07-2009, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDM View Post

....WOW......., forgot how funny that one is! I tossed a camo bag on my sofa once and asked the girlfriend if she had seen it. She replied that it was on the sofa. I insisted i could not find it as i stand there looking right at it lol. It took her a minute to process, but when it hit, you should have seen the look on her face!
Old 02-07-2009, 6:34 PM

We have the same problem with our military right angle flashlights when we are camping, it's actually pretty amazing.

Old 02-08-2009, 1:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyblank View Post
Just curious, do you have any information on why? I did not hear about this. I dont see how they could have thier weapons confiscated from them. If they were just packing a rifle, non concealed, what justification would they have? Just wondering, as if i were to head for the hills in an emergency, i would bring a rifle and a side arm.
bobby
WOW are you kidding me dude!!! the NRA had a big story on this, you tube it and see where the 80 year old woman got taken to the ground because she had a .22 pistol, or the "wealthy" home owners that got the AR's taken away. do some research man!
Old 02-08-2009, 1:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Haha get an extra roll of that reflective tape stuff, that can always be used to mark off our trail if you walk out into the woods,
Old 02-09-2009, 5:01 PM

This has been a very interesting thread. Living in CA, the biggest thing we worry about is a major earthquake. Plan A would be to shelter in place and with that in mind, we do have a Honda generator (along with fuel, oil, a syphon, etc) 55 gallons of water, plenty of food (canned, retort pouches, freeze dried, etc) and various sundries, an outdoor grill and two tanks of propane on top of what's packed and ready to go.

Plan B would be to evacuate, but we would likely wait until things clear out a bit so we're not stuck on the freeway with everyone else. By taking our time, we can find the best and safest escape route. To that end, what we have packed and ready to go is fairly extensive (probably over 150 items on a spreadsheet). Here are a few things I didn't see on other lists:

Satellite Phone (Iridium) w/a 500 minute pre-paid SIM
Plus charger, external antennae, etc
Tekkeon Batteries for powering/charging Sat/cell phone, UMPC, MP3/PVP, etc
Low Discharge rechargeable batteries
Sunlinq foldable 25w, 12v Solar Charger and adapters
Battery Charger w/adapter for the Sunlinq panel
Large LED Lanterns
WWII Pilot's folding machette (better than a hatchet, lighter than an axe)
Cash ($1000 in smaller bills)
Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)
Plus charger, extra battery, etc
USB Wireless Wide Area Network Adapter
USB thumb drive w/encrypted partition
Important info such as credit card numbers, insurance info, scanned documents, etc on encrypted partition
Encryption software such as True Crypt on the unencrypted portion
Sewing kit
GPS plus charger
Sirius Satellite Radio plus charger and headphones
Personal Media Player

This, plus the plethera of other items fits into a large rolling duffel bag from REI. Freeze dried food is packed, but the rest of the food is in rotation. Depending on the type of evacuation required, we can pack up the necessary food and water into a second rolling duffle in fairly short order. Tents, sleeping bags, air mattresses/pump and first aid kit are stored together, but not necessarily packed up in duffel, mostly due to the size or storage requirements.

One thing that was mentioned, but should be repeated is a headlamp LED light. These things are great!

To keep this gun related, we would likely take a SIG P220 w/500+ rounds of JHPs, a cleaning kit, an extra guide rod and recoil spring.
Old 02-09-2009, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilagrrl View Post
This has been a very interesting thread. Living in CA, the biggest thing we worry about is a major earthquake. Plan A would be to shelter in place and with that in mind, we do have a Honda generator (along with fuel, oil, a syphon, etc) 55 gallons of water, plenty of food (canned, retort pouches, freeze dried, etc) and various sundries, an outdoor grill and two tanks of propane on top of what's packed and ready to go.

Plan B would be to evacuate, but we would likely wait until things clear out a bit so we're not stuck on the freeway with everyone else. By taking our time, we can find the best and safest escape route. To that end, what we have packed and ready to go is fairly extensive (probably over 150 items on a spreadsheet). Here are a few things I didn't see on other lists:

Satellite Phone (Iridium) w/a 500 minute pre-paid SIM
Plus charger, external antennae, etc
Tekkeon Batteries for powering/charging Sat/cell phone, UMPC, MP3/PVP, etc
Low Discharge rechargeable batteries
Sunlinq foldable 25w, 12v Solar Charger and adapters
Battery Charger w/adapter for the Sunlinq panel
Large LED Lanterns
WWII Pilot's folding machette (better than a hatchet, lighter than an axe)
Cash ($1000 in smaller bills)
Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)
Plus charger, extra battery, etc
USB Wireless Wide Area Network Adapter
USB thumb drive w/encrypted partition
Important info such as credit card numbers, insurance info, scanned documents, etc on encrypted partition
Encryption software such as True Crypt on the unencrypted portion
Sewing kit
GPS plus charger
Sirius Satellite Radio plus charger and headphones
Personal Media Player

This, plus the plethera of other items fits into a large rolling duffel bag from REI. Freeze dried food is packed, but the rest of the food is in rotation. Depending on the type of evacuation required, we can pack up the necessary food and water into a second rolling duffle in fairly short order. Tents, sleeping bags, air mattresses/pump and first aid kit are stored together, but not necessarily packed up in duffel, mostly due to the size or storage requirements.

One thing that was mentioned, but should be repeated is a headlamp LED light. These things are great!

To keep this gun related, we would likely take a SIG P220 w/500+ rounds of JHPs, a cleaning kit, an extra guide rod and recoil spring.
Naueceee..... Very nice, and expensive. I doubt there will be any Red Dawn senarios, but earthquake, YES. My pack has a lot of medical trauma gear to help others if need be, still working on building it. I've volunteered in my local CERT to better educated myself and to help my city, hopefully they will give me better insight to things that I've missed.

SAT phones are expensive!!! Wish I had one but looking into portable HAM radio licensing as an alternative. Might pick up a cheapie G22 for the bag, the Sig stays home.

BTW, anyone order from Tactical Medic before? Sites down..
Old 02-09-2009, 6:56 PM

Keep extra propane bottles full for the BBQ! Last earthquake I ran out the night before! Now I have extra...you can BBQ anything in your front yard. By the way POOL WATER is very valuable, you can trade anyone in the neighbor for Clean Flush Water for toilets. Or you can tell your sister that the toilets don't work when the power is out! I still laugh at toilets not working in a power outage...HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!

I am looking into changing the duffle bag to a large back pack but don't want to spend too much more money. By the way I added FLARES to the kit.
Old 02-09-2009, 7:37 PM
Calguns Addict

A couple thing I would add. Vaseline cotton balls double use. There easy to start a fire with and for chapped Lips. A big rat trap. Can be used for food like Squirrels and Birds. Depending on how baited.
Also a long Sturgeon leader used as a snare. These are all light and useful.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK45 GUY View Post
You need a ShamWOW

https://www.shamwow.com/ver4/index.asp

"You know the Germans always make good stuff" HAHAHAHA
I want to punch the TV everytime that commercial comes on
AR-15, CMMG lower, Bravo Company upper - Daniel defense hammer forged barrel, midwest quad rail.
Old 02-10-2009, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_1111@yahoo.com View Post
A couple thing I would add. Vaseline cotton balls double use. There easy to start a fire with and for chapped Lips.
Cotton balls are a bit pricey - dryer lint is a zero-cost alternative, is generally composed of the same stuff (depending on what you wear), and you can generate significant volumes of it. I've also found little difference in flammability.

Tradeoff: if saturated in Vaseline, would you still want to treat your chapped lips with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcnones View Post
Should I give them booze? I have Ralph's brand Kahlua and some Half and Half. Kids like chocolate milk, right?
Old 02-10-2009, 4:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

In the old days we kept wood shavings soaked in a little kerosene to start a fire on a cold wet morning. Kept it in a metal coffee can so it did not dry out. Worked great and stored for years.
Old 02-10-2009, 4:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Dryer Lint

Dryer lint stored in a zip lock bag works great. Cheap too! I used to teach my Cub Scouts & Boy Scouts how to start a fire using flint & steel with it. Very easy, anyone can do it.

And whoever mentioned sanitary pads was right. They are great for bleeding wounds in a first aid situation.

I like the Boy Scout Handbook because it is simple and written so anyone can use it. The previous post about learning those skills BEFORE things happen was right on the money. After teaching hundreds of Scouts over the years, I think I can do a pretty good job of it. I'm setting up stuff for my wife in case I'm off at work when the "Big One" hits. Her idea of roughing it is no room service.

ALOHA!

If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target
Old 02-10-2009, 6:57 PM

Instant cheap fire starter. Steel wool and a 9v battery, also provides immediate entertainment.. and works wet.

Old 02-10-2009, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecollector View Post
WOW are you kidding me dude!!! the NRA had a big story on this, you tube it and see where the 80 year old woman got taken to the ground because she had a .22 pistol, or the "wealthy" home owners that got the AR's taken away. do some research man!
On the Katrina gun grab...that was Blackwater characters...far as I am concerned they have NO power to tell me shiite and they would have to try to take mine 'barrel end first' also if the SHTF happens and any of us are caught on the road or having to make our way anywhere and if the degenerates or others are 'messing around' I believe the 'BB Clause' is null and void if it means survival.

Back to topic-I have gleaned some additional info and items to consider, I thank you guys. Being LH i think differently than most but some times have to be brought back when I think of and really intend

Now I just need to pare my list down to about 100 lbs and more portable(foot wise)
Old 02-10-2009, 7:34 PM

oops-some NG units I think did do some of it also..hell with that also..
Old 02-10-2009, 10:03 PM

Found some good ideas here... I thought to contribute by posting a bit about my current setup. Gotta tell you, though, that this is not "big disaster" oriented gear, I just put it together for extended outdoors times (camping/hiking/hunting/fishing), "just in case".
So... I have a modular system that consists of a hip pack, a day pack and a rucksack. I carry the hip pack EVERYWHERE ( whenever I leave home, of course ). It contains the most basic items I might need. I take the day pack, too, when I plan to go "out there" for 1-3 days, It has items that would help me survive/thrive even if I got stranded for a few extra days. The "rucksack items" give me additional "solutions" and supplies when I "go away" for extended (4-14 days) periods. But those items don't fill the ruck; there's plenty of space for my day pack IN IT!
I would say that the hip pack's weight is insignificant, the rucksack (with the day pack in it) is 54 lbs. I never weighed the day pack alone, but I've never had a problem carrying it for 6-9 hours (with the occasional eating/drinking/waiting breaks). For some reason, carrying the whole setup makes me stop a bit more often

Ben Harper

"It's a free country... or, at least, it will be."
- The Patriot -
Old 02-10-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
Dryer lint stored in a zip lock bag works great. Cheap too! I used to teach my Cub Scouts & Boy Scouts how to start a fire using flint & steel with it. Very easy, anyone can do it...

I like the Boy Scout Handbook because it is simple and written so anyone can use it. The previous post about learning those skills BEFORE things happen was right on the money. After teaching hundreds of Scouts over the years, I think I can do a pretty good job of it.
This Eagle Scout agrees. I've kept my handbook with me ever since I joined and I practice the skills when I can. As one who's been in some pretty sticky situations outdoors, I can say with some confidence that "they" may be right about your practice being the most useful tool when SHTF.

Quote:
Should I give them booze? I have Ralph's brand Kahlua and some Half and Half. Kids like chocolate milk, right?
Old 02-10-2009, 10:31 PM

Part One: Hip Pack
1 bandage roll
1 mini soap (hotel-style)
1 small comb
25g salt
4 coffee filters
30 baby wipes
5 band aid
5 ColdChaser (vitamin) packs
anti-toothache cream (Orajel)
Excedrin
mini alc. sanitizer
mini toothbrush+paste (airplane-style)
nail clipper
titanium cup
1 BIC lighter
1 plastic trashbag, household
1/2 candle
1 small ferrocerium rod
2 non-lubricated condoms for carrying/storing water
4 vaseline impreg'd cotton balls
tin foil, 1m
Fallkniven U2 knife
paracord 550 (50 ft)
small magnifying glass (fire)
Sterling Eco sharpener
1 Snickers
small fishing kit
extra set 2x "AA" lithium batt.
mini Streamlight 2AA + batt.
small roll duck tape
thread & needles
waterproof marker +1 sheet paper
12 zip-ties

Ben Harper

- The Patriot -
Old 02-10-2009, 10:45 PM

Part Two: Day Pack

1/2 toilet paper roll
10 active charcoal tabs (diarrhea/water filtering)
1 bandage roll
10 potassium tablets (too much sweating washes K out)
50cm3 ethyl-alcohol 70-87% (disinfectant)
Aqua Mira tablets (water purif.)
mini toothbrush +paste
5 gauze pads +4 band aid
1/2 candle
1 medium ferrocerium rod
1 plastic trashbag, thick (Dept Of Transport)
15x stormproof matches +2 strikers (REI)
2x 1L Platypus water bottles, filled
DiaFold sharpener
Roselli hunting knife + sheath
Spectra / MicroLine 1200 cord (50 ft)
alu.foil, 3m (for cooking, too)
2 Mainstay 1200 + 1 Datrex 2400 (emergency food)
spork
1 long johns (in winter)
1 long sleeve wool t-shirt
1 short underwear
1 thick wool socks
1 warm hat
DryDucks (lightest raingear, top+bottom)
insul'd or work gloves (depends on season)
bandana
Polartec200 jacket
Arborwear Tech Pants
Wetterlings small hunters' axe
compass
Streamlight Sidewinder flashlight + batt.
extra set 2x "AA" lithium batt.
sunglasses
tied on: shell coat (mine is a Merrell Radar)
prepared food (cooked eggs, smoked bacon, etc)

Depending on the situation, I also carry my shotgun (or my fishing rod) + ammo (or fishing accessories), binoculars and a simple field gun cleaning kit in/with the day pack.

Ben Harper

- The Patriot -
Old 02-10-2009, 10:52 PM

Part Three: Wear/Wield/Pocket Carry

1 light wool socks
1 long sleeve synth. t-shirt
1 short underwear
1 synth. shirt
SitkaGear 90% Pants + Arborwear belt
1 sun/rain hat ("cowboy" style oiled leather)
Wolverine hunting boots
paracord bracelet (7.5 ft cord)
Gerber Gator knife
headlamp + batt.
extra set 4x "AA" lithium batt.
UDAP bear spray & holster

Ben Harper

- The Patriot -
Old 02-10-2009, 10:58 PM

I have a Part Four (rucksack) and Part Five ("if going by car") category, should I post those?

Ben Harper

- The Patriot -
Old 02-10-2009, 11:16 PM

This is the day pack set up for hunting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg da_pak.jpg (33.8 KB, 604 views)

Ben Harper

- The Patriot -
Old 02-11-2009, 1:11 AM

Nice setup Dark&Good. I have a similar rig with the Ruck/Day Pack/Hip Pack which can all store in the Ruck.

I think people also need to look at where they are storing their go bags as well. California is always at risk of an earthquake. If your place of residence collapses or is extensively damaged say good bye to all your preparations unless you are able to dig through the rubble to get to your gear. If people store their supplies in a garage, this will be easier as it is usually on the outskirts of the property. If you don't have a garage and your bag is in your room closet which is smack dab in the center of the house, it may prove to be a problem.

Last edited by zeus45c; 02-11-2009 at 1:14 AM..
Old 02-11-2009, 2:10 AM

I need to get on a BOB, pronto......
Old 02-11-2009, 9:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!

You guys should check this site out, there is a lot of good info in the stickies as well as the forum itself.

http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43
Old 02-12-2009, 1:39 AM

It IS a lot of info to evaluate there...

Ben Harper

- The Patriot -
Old 02-12-2009, 9:08 PM

I've added -
50 foot of Rope (to my Stg 1 kit)
2 15mile radios (Stg 1 kit)
deck of cards (Stg 2 kit)
candy - (stg 2 kit)
powdered gatorade mixes for water bottles (stg 2 kit)
freeze dried food for 2 for 2 weeks (stg 2 kit)
Katydyne Hiker water Filter (stg 2 kit)
2 hikers non-stick pans (small) (stg 2 kit)
2 plastic bowls (stg 2 kit)
plastic utensils (stg 2 kit)
seasoning pack (5 in 1 shaker) (stg 2)

I love this thread, it's been very helpful with my little obsession. I think I have a complete (pretty complete anyway) Kit now...so I can sleep better, and live through anything
Old 02-13-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Instant cheap fire starter. Steel wool and a 9v battery, also provides immediate entertainment.. and works wet.
TV will most likely be down. Entertainment will be at a premium. Images have come to mind...smiles. Find the guy in the group who knows "everything" and give him the steel wool and battery!

By the way how many "charges/fires" will the battery start? Anybody have extra time this weekend...it is a little wet outside!?
Old 02-14-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK45 GUY View Post
You need a ShamWOW

https://www.shamwow.com/ver4/index.asp

"You know the Germans always make good stuff" HAHAHAHA
how about a slap chop?

https://www.slapchop.com/ver9/index.asp

" your gonna love my nuts"
hahahahahahalolol damn fitz
Old 02-15-2009, 9:30 PM

MOUTAIN MONEY!!!!! loads and loads of toilet paper.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboarstopper View Post
MOUTAIN MONEY!!!!! loads and loads of toilet paper.
You can take some baby wipes instead, you'll need less, they're stronger, they disinfect (you might have a few less bathtubs around you ) - just make sure you get the ones with alcohol (I got WetOnes "brand"). Depending on the time spent "out there", you might eventually run out of such things anyway - hopefully you can find/create some alternatives before that happens. It's not extremely hard to make alcohol...

Ben Harper

- The Patriot -
Old 02-18-2009, 11:28 PM

I need baby wipes - thats is one thing that i've forgot to add. DANG IT...another trip to Wallyworld is in my near future.
Old 02-19-2009, 7:44 PM

Going on a trip (for 3 days) tomorrow, taking my BOB... if it turns out to be inadequate, I'll post the changes afterwards (if I return).

Ben Harper

- The Patriot -
Old 02-19-2009, 8:35 PM

So i finally ordered the Blackhawk X-3 Raptor, and its freaking huge. Tons of room plus a good 3 liter bladder tons of cargo space, pockets, lots of attachment areas all in all its a good peice of kit for the price.
Old 02-19-2009, 8:51 PM

Looks impressive

Ben Harper

- The Patriot -
Old 02-20-2009, 2:06 PM
Veteran Member

Tried to read through but didn't see these mentioned.

1) A few pouches of QuikClot blood stopper. Absolute lifesaver.

2) Duct tape makes a great improv for sutures on large cuts.

3) Fishing Line. Yeah, everybody's using it for fishing, but I have a 200 yard roll of 40lb test I intend to use for trip-wire. String it around your encampment about waist-high (to avoid being waken up by rabbits and such), hang some rock-cans off it and you have an early warning system. I'll sleep better knowing I have at least some defensive perimeter.

Once people know you're prepared, you'll be a target. My buddy always tells me, " All I need is my AR and ammo. With that I can get all the gear I need".
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you can't confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by olhunter; 02-20-2009 at 2:10 PM..
Old 02-20-2009, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark&Good View Post
Going on a trip (for 3 days) tomorrow, taking my BOB... if it turns out to be inadequate, I'll post the changes afterwards (if I return).

Your comments will be interesting! Please post.
Old 02-21-2009, 9:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olhunter View Post

2) Duct tape makes a great improv for sutures on large cuts.
Superglue is a great tool also for cuts that would require a few stiches.

I used to carry this stuff with my when I worked on sheetmetal.
Old 02-22-2009, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olhunter View Post
A few pouches of QuikClot blood stopper. Absolute lifesaver.
Cheap (possibly free) alternative to QuickClot: Sweet 'N' Low.

Aspartame does keep clots stable after they've formed. Anecdotal evidence from friends in the field supports this, as well as this paper outlining how animal exposure to aspartame resulted in better clots than control.

I'm not a doctor, this isn't medical advice, do your own homework, etc.

Quote: