Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 05-13-2009, 7:45 AM

What would you guys recommend for some sort of a pullover sweatshirt/sweater for semi-cold days? Being in Southern Cali, it really never gets super cold, and as most know even on 60 degree days out here if you're moving around a t-shirt is enough, at least for me anyway. I actually like the idea of switching out t-shirts for synthetic "under armour" knock offs and will probably do that this weekend.
Old 05-13-2009, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckolaker View Post
lol, going to have to start repopulating the area at some point right?
lol on the third day apparently!
Old 05-13-2009, 8:09 AM

Actually did you guys hear about that mini baby boom in Houston because of Hurricane Ike? So bringing condoms is probably not a bad idea. They also are good for protecting things from moisture.
Old 05-13-2009, 8:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballergb View Post
They also are good for protecting things from moisture.
^^^ This.
Old 05-13-2009, 9:34 AM

Quote:
If anyone has suggestions send them my way especially on the flashlight, knife and .45. I will get pics up ASAP
Nice looking list.

As for the flashlight, knife and .45.

Flashlight: Personally, I prefer the AA Maglite's (as in not Surefire type that require the lithium batteries). I know the lithiums provide more light, but the batteries are harder to come by. If by chance your 3 days turns out to be longer, it will be easier to find replacement batteries.

Knife: I recently purchased the SOG Seal Pup and I really like it. I was also looking at the Gerber LMF and it looks like a GREAT knife.

.45: I think this just comes down to your budget and preferences. I really like the Springfield XD platform (I have the SC-9mm). If you are trying to go the less expensive route the Taurus PT-145 is a nice little 45.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. NRA LIFE MEMBER
Old 05-13-2009, 9:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewyoates77 View Post
I got a couple 5.11 shirts and a couple winter long sleeve mocks. And it was only like 50 bucks for 7 shirts.
May I ask where you purchased your 5.11 gear?? Did you get the compression type of shirts or the loose fitting?? I prefer the loose fitting and I have a bunch of workout shirts I got from Wal-mart. I can replace the T-shirts in my pack with a few of those wicking ones. I just need something long-sleeved to replace my Cotton Hoodie.

Another thing to note is the weight and space. Cotton is bulky and heavy while this wicking material is light and compresses REALLY well.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. NRA LIFE MEMBER
Old 05-13-2009, 9:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwls13 View Post
Nice looking list.

Knife: I recently purchased the SOG Seal Pup and I really like it. I was also looking at the Gerber LMF and it looks like a GREAT knife.
+1 The Seal Pup is awesome.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Nice looking list.

Flashlight: Personally, I prefer the AA Maglite's (as in not Surefire type that require the lithium batteries). I know the lithiums provide more light, but the batteries are harder to come by. If by chance your 3 days turns out to be longer, it will be easier to find replacement batteries.

.45: I think this just comes down to your budget and preferences. I really like the Springfield XD platform (I have the SC-9mm). If you are trying to go the less expensive route the Taurus PT-145 is a nice little 45.
The PT145 seems a little short? Does that even matter?
Old 05-13-2009, 4:24 PM

Quote:
The PT145 seems a little short? Does that even matter?
The PT145 is generally used as a CCW weapon. It is great for that. Which in a Bug-out situation, a small .45 may be just the ticket.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:00 PM

Cotton is VERY bulky. I have some much freed up shape since I switched to 5.11 gear and my warrior gear.
And I still do not have a good replacement for my sweatshirt. I have a very thin windbreaker that I wear over it if rain does come.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:32 PM

Over what?

Ben Harper

"It's a free country... or, at least, it will be."
- The Patriot -
Old 05-13-2009, 11:13 PM

Over my sweater.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewyoates77 View Post
Over my sweater.
Oh, ok

Ben Harper

- The Patriot -
Old 05-14-2009, 12:02 PM

I'm still waiting on my 3 day bag from LAPG. But, I put together my stage 1 bag and I was able to fit everything else in my Wal-Mart bag. Still need to get some MRE's and some other small items. Both bags are already PACKED. The Stage 1 bag will be able to free up some room by slimming down the first aid kit, as well as I currently have my belt, holster, mags and mag holder in the bag. In a SHTF situation, they will all be on my waist. I'd like have at least ONE MRE in my stage 1 bag, though that may not be needed or even practical (since the bag will spend most of it's time in my Jeep out in the heat). Currently I only have some almonds/cashews/peanuts in there to eat. I may add some jerky.

I'm thinking, once my 3-day bag gets here, I will move MOST of the stuff from my Wal-mart bag to the 3-day. Then I will use the Wal-mart bag for food and clothing items for the family.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
The PT145 is generally used as a CCW weapon. It is great for that. Which in a Bug-out situation, a small .45 may be just the ticket.
So I am trying to narrow down between the PT145 and the Springfield XD .45acp. The XD is a couple hundred more in cost but it does have the 4" barrel which for whatever I like that better. However those PT145's look really nice and $350-$400 bucks for one is really freaking nice.

So I guess I just need to get some feedback on what is the better shooter. I won't do a whole lot of shooting with the gun. It will mainly serve as HD and then a quick grab if I need to Bug out.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
What would you guys recommend for some sort of a pullover sweatshirt/sweater for semi-cold days? Being in Southern Cali, it really never gets super cold, and as most know even on 60 degree days out here if you're moving around a t-shirt is enough, at least for me anyway. I actually like the idea of switching out t-shirts for synthetic "under armour" knock offs and will probably do that this weekend.

check out tad gear tadgear.com its expensive but its the best of the best
Old 05-14-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Nice looking list.

im in complete agreement. i have the XD45 tactical, flippin awesome and im buying the Gerber Lmf 2 this friday, the cold steel bushman aint bad either. as for a light get an led and a AAmag light why not they dont way much
Old 05-14-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
So I am trying to narrow down between the PT145 and the Springfield XD .45acp. The XD is a couple hundred more in cost but it does have the 4" barrel which for whatever I like that better. However those PT145's look really nice and $350-$400 bucks for one is really freaking nice.

So I guess I just need to get some feedback on what is the better shooter. I won't do a whole lot of shooting with the gun. It will mainly serve as HD and then a quick grab if I need to Bug out.
XD45, definitely worth the money, plus 13rds of .45ACP aint bad
Old 05-14-2009, 1:25 PM
Veteran Member

Check these out.

http://www.campausa.com/detailed_photos.htm

Looks like I'll be fabricating a BOT (Bug-Out-Trailer). Hook up and go !

Maybe even find a one of those old pop-up tent-trailers and work around that.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you can't confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

Old 05-14-2009, 1:45 PM

Quote:

If you can swing the extra $$, I would DEFINITELY go with the XD. It is just a nicer (for me easier shooting) platform. PLUS, you get the XD gear with your purchase. Depending on the package you get it will come with all or some of the following: Kydex Holster, Kydex Mag holster, mag loader and sometimes extra mags (this is all good stuff to keep in your BOB). PLUS, with the XD you will not be freaking out at High-8 sights (at least I did with my PT145). Lastly, I REALLY like the safety mechanism's built into the XD's. They are perfect for CCW.

If i had it to do over, I would have went with the XD instead of the Taurus (it's worth a bit more $$), but I was trying to go as small as possible. Come to find out the Taurus is the EXACT same size as my XD-Subcompact 9mm and I carry the XD instead. Plus, I recently bought a Kahr PM9 for ultra-conceal carry and it is GREAT.

The Taurus is a good gun, but mine has been demoted to my hunting sidearm.

Old 05-14-2009, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olhunter View Post
Check these out.

http://www.campausa.com/detailed_photos.htm

Looks like I'll be fabricating a BOT (Bug-Out-Trailer). Hook up and go !

Maybe even find a one of those old pop-up tent-trailers and work around that.
Pretty cool! I have a 6x12 Utility trailer. It will be my bugout catch-all in the event we are on the move. If I have to dump it on the way, so be it, but it's there if I need it. Just grab the stuff from the Garage and Shed and be on our way.

Old 05-14-2009, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Wal-mart carry's clothing called Dri-Star. It's for working out and provides the wicking we are looking for. It's REALLY cheap too. I have been using there T-shirts for years at the gym. I'm gonna go pick-up a couple long sleeved shirts and I'm also gonna get a windbreaker.

Old 05-14-2009, 2:01 PM
Veteran Member

More Toilet Paper! (this stuff has multiple uses, including tinder for fire starting) a few fire starters (if your not used to make fires, with a mag striker with wet wood in the rain, these help) A ziplock bag with steelwool (Excellent fire starter)
Old 05-14-2009, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobe987 View Post
XD45, definitely worth the money, plus 13rds of .45ACP aint bad
13 round mags in CA?
Old 05-14-2009, 2:28 PM

Quote:
If you can swing the extra $$, I would DEFINITELY go with the XD. It is just a nicer (for me easier shooting) platform. PLUS, you get the XD gear with your purchase. Depending on the package you get it will come with all or some of the following: Kydex Holster, Kydex Mag holster, mag loader and sometimes extra mags (this is all good stuff to keep in your BOB). PLUS, with the XD you will not be freaking out at High-8 sights (at least I did with my PT145). Lastly, I REALLY like the safety mechanism's built into the XD's. They are perfect for CCW.

If i had it to do over, I would have went with the XD instead of the Taurus (it's worth a bit more $$), but I was trying to go as small as possible. Come to find out the Taurus is the EXACT same size as my XD-Subcompact 9mm and I carry the XD instead. Plus, I recently bought a Kahr PM9 for ultra-conceal carry and it is GREAT.

The Taurus is a good gun, but mine has been demoted to my hunting sidearm.
I will probably go with the XD. I definitely like the extra gear it comes with, and would have probably bought it for the PT145 had I have gone that route, so its almost like no difference in cost. Plus I will have that extra 3/4 in of barrel length which feels better for me when shooting.
Old 05-14-2009, 2:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Only 10 in CA.
Old 05-14-2009, 2:40 PM

Quote:
I will probably go with the XD. I definitely like the extra gear it comes with, and would have probably bought it for the PT145 had I have gone that route, so its almost like no difference in cost. Plus I will have that extra 3/4 in of barrel length which feels better for me when shooting.
Good choice.

And yes, it's only 10 round mags in cali.

Old 05-14-2009, 5:09 PM

Quote:
I'm still waiting on my 3 day bag from LAPG. But, I put together my stage 1 bag and I was able to fit everything else in my Wal-Mart bag. Still need to get some MRE's and some other small items. Both bags are already PACKED. The Stage 1 bag will be able to free up some room by slimming down the first aid kit, as well as I currently have my belt, holster, mags and mag holder in the bag. In a SHTF situation, they will all be on my waist. I'd like have at least ONE MRE in my stage 1 bag, though that may not be needed or even practical (since the bag will spend most of it's time in my Jeep out in the heat). Currently I only have some almonds/cashews/peanuts in there to eat. I may add some jerky.

I'm thinking, once my 3-day bag gets here, I will move MOST of the stuff from my Wal-mart bag to the 3-day. Then I will use the Wal-mart bag for food and clothing items for the family.
Sounds good

Ben Harper

- The Patriot -
Old 05-14-2009, 5:20 PM

^^^hotwls13, if i have read this right, you are going to slim down your first aid kit. thats the last thing i think you should do, unless you have an emt bag or something, make sure you have a GOOD first aid kit. i would rather skip out on other things, like in mine, - i have 2 long sleeve shirts and 1 short sleeve now, I used to have 2 short sleeves, just to make room for some extra telfa pads and other pads. first aid kit is just as valuable as anything. (i know everything is valuable, and i wish i could carry everything too.
i know everyone has there different ideas as to what is MOST important. just my 2 cents.
Old 05-15-2009, 6:26 AM

^^^Chewy

I purchased a cheapy wal-mart first aid kit that came in a semi-hard case. I am going to slim it down to something simliar to the video I have seen on here. It will be a BETTER first aid kit but it will be smaller. I will also have a larger kit in my 3-day pack.

Old 05-15-2009, 7:54 AM

Quote:
^^^Chewy

I purchased a cheapy wal-mart first aid kit that came in a semi-hard case. I am going to slim it down to something simliar to the video I have seen on here. It will be a BETTER first aid kit but it will be smaller. I will also have a larger kit in my 3-day pack.
^^^This. I trashed that bulky orange case it comes in and organized it down to basically 2 ziplock bags. I also added few other items to the basic kit.
Old 05-15-2009, 9:33 AM

Quote:
^^^This. I trashed that bulky orange case it comes in and organized it down to basically 2 ziplock bags. I also added few other items to the basic kit.
Yep, I just did the same. I used my medium sized coghlan dry bag. Still have some room to spare. I'm ordering a quickclot and a sutcher kit for it. I already added a bunch more absorbant non-stick gauze pads.

My next thing to search for is a case of the newest MRE's.

Old 05-15-2009, 9:59 AM

Yeah. Cases are no good. I have everything in 3 different zip lock bags. And I am trying to find something better to put everything in.

I am trying to pull down some mres too. I am thinking about trying the military ones. But I love my apack mres. They are awesome
Old 05-15-2009, 10:58 AM

A guy in another thread said he is stationed at Camp Pendleton and would be able to get MRE's from the base. I sent a PM for pricing and details. I'm more then happy to add to my order. I will be ordering as soon as I hear back from him.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:22 PM

^^^^You've got PM.

Old 05-15-2009, 1:06 PM

Pm sent!
Old 05-21-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Yep, I just did the same. I used my medium sized coghlan dry bag. Still have some room to spare. I'm ordering a quickclot and a sutcher kit for it. I already added a bunch more absorbant non-stick gauze pads.

My next thing to search for is a case of the newest MRE's.
dont forget if ur wounded and bleeding , you get sick from bad food or water or just get dehydrated from rucking in to far withought hydrating or anything else happens for that matter IV's are extremly important ... learn how to start them on others and yourself.. get some cathiters tubing and some 0.9% sodium chloride (normal saline) 1000cc bags they are esential to any emergency medical gear.. tactical tailor makes an ive bag holder for ruck sacks as a ruck sack mod.. look in to it
http://www.tacticaltailor.com/ruckmods.aspx
Old 05-21-2009, 2:34 AM
In Memoriam

I'd like an after action report of a couple of people using their BOB and see if it works. I'm assuming these bags are for when you have to unass your ride or house.

Just a couple of thoughts. Plan on being gone for 3 days. Do it in Nevada or AZ or someplace where you can carry your rifle and not get hassled by the cops. The travel time to and from doesn't count against your 3 days in the dirt. You must travel from 25 miles to your destination using only what you have with you. You may get area maps otherwise if you don't have it you don't have it.

If these bags are to throw in the car try it anyway and see how well they work.

When you're done you will know if you have over or under packed. This might need to be done in winter and summer.

When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.
Old 05-21-2009, 5:54 AM

Food for thought

I just returned from a weeks’ vacation at Lake Havasu. As a result of reading this thread I realized just how easy it is to be unprepared. In spite of the fact we stayed in a 2 bedroom condo with a kitchen I lost count of how many times we had to go to the grocery store or Wal-Mart for something we forgot and needed. Many think those of us that want to be prepared for disaster or a SHTF situation suffer from some sort of paranoia but when you put your preparedness in the perspective of a vacation only to realize how unprepared you are it breathes life into a need to do this.

So again let me thank all of you who have posted these great ideas!
Old 05-21-2009, 10:59 AM

My next "3 days out" is coming up. I'll post the experiences next week.

Ben Harper

- The Patriot -