Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 04-05-2016, 8:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Default No Gas, No Electricity, Rolling Blackouts

As Reported last week and again today, because of the natural gas leak from the Aliso Gas Fields north of Porter Ranch, Southern California "may" experience up to 18 days of blackouts because there is not enough natural gas to run the generators at the Department of Water and Power that create electricity.

So...How will you prep?

I'm now expediting plans to install a Dual Fuel, Unleaded Gasoline/Natural Gas Emergency generator to run my entire home...I'm looking for a 20-22KWT system that can run everything including two air conditioners a 5 ton and 3 ton both 10 SER. Without natural gas I may even switch to electric cooking, or just stock up on propane tanks for the BBQ.
I have also begun to collect battery chargers for cell phones, laptops and other small devices. I have 12 days of phone recharging capability, I'd like to double that. I bought a couple of Anker PowerCore+ mini 3350mAh Lipstick-Sized Portable Charger for $9.99 and a couple of DoAce® 10000mAh (2.1Amp+1Amp Output,1Amp Input Fast Charging) Dual USB Portable External Extended Battery Pack Power Bank Backup Charger For iPhone iPad Smartphones Tablets for $14.99

I'm preparing for Los Angeles resembling a 3rd world country with unreliable utilities. And crime.

How else would you prep for a near future with unreliable energy? No ATM, No Gasoline Fuel pumps, Stale Food, intermittent telephone service.
Old 04-05-2016, 8:59 PM

Thank God all those with their electric vehicles will be able to......park them and leave them.
Old 04-05-2016, 9:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Nothing is going to happen. Hype as usual.

WTS: Gun stuff & things
Old 04-05-2016, 9:23 PM
Veteran Member

More like rolling "brown outs" which are no big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Gunman View Post
They want to be rulers. Well I don't effing want to be ruled, I want to be represented.
Old 04-05-2016, 9:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock_this View Post
I don't think so...The gas field held 85 Billion Hundred Cubic Feet of gas, Today it holds 15 Billion Hundred Cubic Feet. In a normal summer there are blackouts because the DWP can not meet demand.

Do the math.
Old 04-05-2016, 9:43 PM

The Gas Company has proven it has an issue with telling the truth. I don't trust anything they say, or their Math.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman19 View Post
I'm preparing for Los Angeles resembling a 3rd world country with unreliable utilities. And crime.
It already is.
Old 04-06-2016, 5:41 AM

This is just a public prep story, to justify raising their rates yet again (to actually help pay for the leak blunder). Typical.

However, if they don't get public support for raising rates, then bet your a**, there will be some black outs to punish the good people, so it is a good reason to upgrade... but any reason is a good reason, heh.

--- Napoleon
Old 04-06-2016, 10:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliso_Canyon_Oil_Field

This reservoir is the second-largest natural gas storage site in the western United States, with a capacity of over 86 billion cubic feet of natural gas. Currently it is one of four gas storage facilities owned by Southern California Gas, the others being the La Goleta Gas Field west of Santa Barbara, Honor Rancho near Newhall, and Playa del Rey.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarBoyNux View Post
It already is.
We need more ultra-liberal self-serving fruit and nut politicians running this once great state.
That would ensure its speedy and complete destruction. ....

Vietnam Veteran
Old 04-06-2016, 10:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I don't think so...The gas field held 85 Billion Hundred Cubic Feet of gas, Today it holds 15 Billion Hundred Cubic Feet. In a normal summer there are blackouts because the DWP can not meet demand.

Do the math.
Ok, so, I just got out my trusty calculator and did the math and the math told me nothing is going to happen. Hype as usual. So I guess that settles that.

ps - yes, I double checked the math

WTS: Gun stuff & things
Old 04-06-2016, 4:55 PM

Personally I would look into an 1800 rpm diesel genset. Preferably trailer mounted. At least that is what I plan to get some day.
Old 04-06-2016, 5:03 PM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

It is false flag propaganda to keep it open and teach all the NIMBYs a lesson.

You can be sure that on the hottest day in July, Porter Ranch will be the first to go dark...

In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box.
Steve Symms, ex-U.S. Senator, Idaho

Old 04-06-2016, 8:51 PM

As preppers you should be looking at the reality of this issue. It's a very real threat and once you understand why that is true, you can open your eyes and actually prep for it.
If instead, it's easier to blame the utilities then sit back and whine, just plan on doing it in the dark for a few hours.

The reality is that with the loss of San Onofre (2200mw of non-gas generation)and the lost capacity of Aliso Canyon, there isn't enough gas capacity to maintain all the required in-basin generation to run all those gas powered generation facilities. They can only "pack" so much gas into the gas transmission system. Once they hit a certain level, the power plants will be scheduled off-line and rolling blackouts will begin.

All we need now is for the fire season to kick it in high gear and trip some major inter-connections and we can fulfill the Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
Old 04-06-2016, 9:21 PM
CGN Contributor

I doubt there will be anything close to 18 days of no power. That would be the city purposefully planning for a real problem.

In any case, among the normal items for protection and luxury/entertainment needs, my basic suggestion would be: good stock of water/drinks, stored water for sanitary needs, chest freezer stocked with microwavable/BBQ foods, generator (small 2-5kw portable units fine) with some stored fuel, extra propane for BBQ grill. Run generator to nuke food, charge portable electronics, and chill down freezer periodically. Stay home, enjoy cold beer and BBQ while watching movies/music.
Old 04-06-2016, 9:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
there are blackouts because the DWP can not meet demand..
That's not true DWP actually has an excess of capability and sells to Edison during times of shortage. DWP is also owned by LA and didn't have to get into the brokered selling/buying schemes of a few years ago that are still causing problems for the private elec companies like SCE.
Old 04-07-2016, 6:38 AM
Veteran Member

I have a 7500 watt duel fuel generator.... bring it!
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

William Butler Yeats 1865-1939
Old 04-07-2016, 6:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artb View Post
We need more ultra-liberal self-serving fruit and nut politicians running this once great state.
That would ensure its speedy and complete destruction. ....
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 04-07-2016, 6:53 AM
Calguns Addict

I'm going to full my 40 gallon gas tank on my toyhauler and my 20 gallon gas cans for my 5500 watt generator. That will last awhile. I have food and water prepped at all times already

Old 04-07-2016, 7:16 AM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

Meh, you should already be ready for no power...

In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box.

Old 04-07-2016, 7:17 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibseeker View Post
... It's a very real threat...
Man, I hope so.

I didn't spend all that money and pile my garage full of crap for nothing.

Plus I get to tell the wife...'told ya'.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you can't confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

Old 04-07-2016, 7:37 AM
Veteran Member

That's nearly my exact setup Falcon, with a couple of minor exceptions. Those Hondas are excellent units and I like the option to run just one of them if that's all I need.

I also have a 140w solar panel on the roof feeding a small bank of golf cart batteries with a 2kw inverter. That's not a big setup but it provides a bit of "free" power every day for lights and other small devices. I have run the washer, dryer, furnace and fridge off the inverter so I know what to expect.

I also have a travel trailer with 420 w solar on the roof and 4 golf cart batteries. I lived comfortably in this trailer completely off grid for 3 weeks last year. The only time I needed the generators was for a few hours in the evening on two occasions when I decided to run the AC. Keeps the cost, hassle and noise way down.
Old 04-07-2016, 7:49 AM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
That's nearly my exact setup Falcon, with a couple of minor exceptions. Those Hondas are excellent units and I like the option to run just one of them if that's all I need.

I also have a 140w solar panel on the roof feeding a small bank of golf cart batteries with a 2kw inverter. That's not a big setup but it provides a bit of "free" power every day for lights and other small devices. I have run the washer, dryer, furnace and fridge off the inverter so I know what to expect.

I also have a travel trailer with 420 w solar on the roof and 4 golf cart batteries. I lived comfortably in this trailer completely off grid for 3 weeks last year. The only time I needed the generators was for a few hours in the evening on two occasions when I decided to run the AC. Keeps the cost, hassle and noise way down.
Bruss01, I think you and I would get along quite nicely!

Unfortunately my rooftop solar needs to be grid tied. Still working on getting my "portable" up and running. I have all the parts just need to do it, w/Rynogy 100 watt panel. Originally tried with a Harbor Freight 45 watt POS, but that thing is weak and not enough.

Last edited by Maltese Falcon; 04-07-2016 at 8:13 AM..
Old 04-07-2016, 7:58 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by olhunter View Post
Man, I hope so.

I didn't spend all that money and pile my garage full of crap for nothing.

Plus I get to tell the wife...'told ya'.
LMFAO!
Old 04-07-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:

Do the math.
just curious is 15 billion hundred cubic feet a legit number?

is that 15 trillion or why is there another number after a number?

honest question.
Old 04-07-2016, 1:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbutler View Post

honest question.
No, it's not "a legit number"...the OP is on a roll. Kinda like when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

Just let him wind himself down and he will be ready for a nap.

Old 04-07-2016, 1:36 PM
Intergalactic Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:

honest question.
15 billion hundred would be 1.5 trillion.

15 billion thousand would be 15 trillion
COTEP #227

SAF Life Member

NRA Benefactor
Old 04-07-2016, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legasat View Post
15 billion hundred would be 1.5 trillion.

15 billion thousand would be 15 trillion
Uh-oh.
We need President Reagan to 'splain it

Vietnam Veteran
Old 04-07-2016, 7:09 PM

So I talked to a SoCal Gas employee today and expect a press release tomorrow.

Yes, this is serious. I am going to get a coleman stove.

Quote:
Ok, so, I just got out my trusty calculator and did the math and the math told me nothing is going to happen. Hype as usual. So I guess that settles that.

ps - yes, I double checked the math
The Gas man said due to several EPA laws that were passed, a quick resupply is not possible.

Last edited by WarBoyNux; 04-07-2016 at 7:11 PM..
Old 04-07-2016, 7:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
So I talked to a SoCal Gas employee today and expect a press release tomorrow.

Yes, this is serious. I am going to get a coleman stove.

The Gas man said due to several EPA laws that were passed, a quick resupply is not possible.
Is "gas man" FUD better or worse than "gun shop" FUD?

Old 04-07-2016, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenkeen View Post
Is "gas man" FUD better or worse than "gun shop" FUD?

We find out tomorrow.
Old 04-07-2016, 7:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
We find out tomorrow.
Actually, it was a rhetorical question.

No need to wait for tomorrow...
Old 04-08-2016, 12:48 AM

It's a load of ratepayer, cost increase, crap. Still plenty of $$ to run TV and radio ad's - go figure.

Blame everyone else for plant shutdowns.. but don't take any responsibility.

I've stayed prepped accordingly, E'ff'em.
After watching WTC Bldg #7 being razed, and considering it's main occupants..

I stumbled onto this note while checking advanced weapons..
"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".
Old 04-08-2016, 7:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

honest question.
Natural Gas is measured in HCF (Hundred Cubic Feet). The Facility in Aliso Canyon regularly holds 85 Billion HCF of Natural Gas. Today it holds 15 Billion HCF. 1/5 of it's normal operating capacity.

Quote:
No, it's not "a legit number"...the OP is on a roll. Kinda like when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

Just let him wind himself down and he will be ready for a nap.

? It is a Legit number.
Old 04-08-2016, 8:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Natural Gas is measured in HCF (Hundred Cubic Feet). The Facility in Aliso Canyon regularly holds 85 Billion HCF of Natural Gas. Today it holds 15 Billion HCF. 1/5 of it's normal operating capacity.

? It is a Legit number.
No, it is measured in Cubic feet. 1 cubic foot being the standard (cf) It MAY be expressed in units of 100 cubic feet (Ccf) or 1,000 cubic feet (Mcf) or even 1,000,000 cubic feet (MMcf).

Regardless, the Aliso Canyon site holds ~86 Billion cf...not 86 Billion Ccf.

Nice try however.

Last edited by keenkeen; 04-08-2016 at 8:25 AM..
Old 04-08-2016, 5:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
No, it is measured in Cubic feet. 1 cubic foot being the standard (cf) It MAY be expressed in units of 100 cubic feet (Ccf) or 1,000 cubic feet (Mcf) or even 1,000,000 cubic feet (MMcf).

Regardless, the Aliso Canyon site holds ~86 Billion cf...not 86 Billion Ccf.

Nice try however.
My mistake. You are correct. My brain was thinking water not gas. Water volume is priced in HCF or 748 gallons Natural gas in Cubic Feet.
Old 04-08-2016, 9:57 PM

My understanding is that the rolling blackouts will last less than 2 hours per area. Where I live Edison has been doing work and in the last month we were without for 6 hours one Sunday and about 8 on another. A bit of a bother, but refrigerator and freezer were fine. We are not going to go for 14 days straight without power.

In any case, I have plenty of batteries for radios & appliances and a small generator.
Old 04-09-2016, 8:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
This is what Im thinking as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
I don't like getting my butt kicked, but I would like to have it spanked by some big hairy guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
I wouldn't put "mounting a weasel" past too many people on this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...
-Gene
Old 04-09-2016, 8:27 PM
Calguns Addict

So..... was there an announcement?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
I don't like getting my butt kicked, but I would like to have it spanked by some big hairy guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
I wouldn't put "mounting a weasel" past too many people on this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...
-Gene
Old 04-26-2016, 7:45 PM

Where does this concern of black outs come from (in my own ignorance). It's not from the early 2000's during deregulation is it?