Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 04-18-2017, 2:28 PM

Default Car considerations

Ok, does anyone know the cutoff years for various diesel cars that would be ready to go in the event of a solar flare? I know a stick is considerably preferable for the obvious starting reasons; but, what I am unsure of is what would you need to have on hand so as to be able to start, say a 85 Mercedes 300 turbo diesel? Not much in the way of electronics in the engine aside from the battery and glow plugs.

How's that make you feel?
Old 04-18-2017, 4:22 PM

Really ?. Any car or truck made from 1915 thru 2017 should work. A solar flare has never in history disabled a car or truck.

Neither has a EMP pulse weapon.

Last edited by KevinB; 04-18-2017 at 6:16 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 04-18-2017, 5:49 PM

95 to 97 Dodge 12 valve 5.9L Truck with Manuel Transmission ( to bump start ) P-7100 injection pump with Manuel shut lever. disconnect the electric shut down solenoid.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:18 AM

Your not going to find a line in the sand. I had a 76 International Scout with an Ignition Control Module that was electronic. Without it you would not have been able to start or run the truck. Mine went bad twice and it would stop the truck from running.

Also, automatics are not all electronically controlled.

My EMP vehicle is a 79 Ford F250 with a diesel conversion and hydraulically controlled tranny.

As for if your vehicle will be disabled from a EMP or CME, no one knows for certain as it has not happened yet since digital electronics have been developed.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member

I have a bike, it will work just fine to cruise the neighborhood. I'm bugging in anyway.
Old 04-19-2017, 2:03 PM

Clutches wear out, automatics dont as often. Can't stop by the store and grab a spare clutch.

If a car has simple electronics one option is to buy a spare or two and shield it.
Old 04-19-2017, 2:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Seriously, consider what the world would look like after an EMP event. Would you really want to be a survivor?

Haters got to hate. Winnin again. Go Trump

Why is it the guys who really know how to fix this country's problems spend all their time fixing old cars?
Old 04-19-2017, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindwip View Post
Clutches wear out, automatics dont as often. Can't stop by the store and grab a spare clutch.

If a car has simple electronics one option is to buy a spare or two and shield it.

If you know how to drive a Manual it should last far longer than any Automatic . I have never had a manual die or even lost a Clutch in everything from big block powered Muscle cars , modern muscle cars , Rockcrawlers , diesel trucks and motorcycles . But have lost numerous Automatics over the years . All which got changed to Manuals .If something I buy has an auto it gets changed quickly . And generally dislike Automatics all together . Also most half way decent mechanics can replace a clutch in a few hours if one is on hand . Rebuild a auto is a much harder task . And often dosnt end well .
Emp proof couldn't one just unhook the negative post similar to welding on a vehicle. But at the same time there is a ground to the welder. So does a Emp even effect vehicles because of no earth ground . We have all seen vehicles struck by lightning and they seem to keep running .

Last edited by dozer wright; 04-19-2017 at 4:43 PM..
Old 04-19-2017, 10:24 PM

Ford-Early 94 (and older) with IDI engine(pre '88~'89 automatics are ok but are three speeds) Zf 5 speed- if taken care of, is pretty stout
Dodge- Early 98 (and older) with 12valve engine
GM-Early ish 6.5l with stanadyne injection pump and older (naturally aspirated I believe)
Older Mercedez diesels. some have a stop lever under the hood that shuts of fuel is the vacuum solenoid fails.
VW Diesel Rabbits from the 80's to early 90's-(avoid automatics- even with parts they are hard to keep working)
Anything with a small block chevy and a manual transmission provided you go pick up the proper sized carb for it and distributor w/ points and condenser or well stored electronic system.

The Stanadyne pumped engines (gm/ ford/ earlier dodges*) will require disassembly of the top fuel plate to change the location of a spring so the engine is defaulted to run (doesn't want to shut off). A shut off valve on the OUTPUT fuel line (return to tank) can then be used to unseat the internal fuel shut-off valve.

Just about everything above should survive a "One Second After" EMP Scenario.

I am omitting anything that has points and carb from the get go.

Also-
Pre 2013 Compact tractors over 26 hp
almost all compact tractors under 26 hp (starting to see some common rail)

Older gensets that are mechanically governed.
-Gensets that are hooked up to the grid via a transfer switch could, again in a "One Second After" scenario, be compromised if the induced voltage in the lines gets high enough to jump the internal gaps of the transfer switch and maintain enough energy to do damage.

Last edited by bajarage; 04-19-2017 at 10:28 PM..
Old 04-19-2017, 10:51 PM

And as a bonus, the 12 valve can easily run without a working alternator once running, and you can burn just about anything close to diesel fuel. Kerosene, JP4, transmission fluid and used engine oil have been used for fuel in my 97.

Were just going to have to live our lives knowing that we can't in California own ever gun ever made. How shall we continue? Gin.

FRankMo"
Old 04-20-2017, 7:52 AM

Okay, I'll play. in a "One Second After" scenario driving would probably be the most unsafe activity one could do. Short of being in a very rural location for a very short period of time, maybe one short trip or 2 ? this resource (any transportation) would most likely be quickly over taken by force or first responders ect. Stay under the radar . Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Ford Model A pickup
Old 04-20-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minermax View Post
Okay, I'll play. in a "One Second After" scenario driving would probably be the most unsafe activity one could do. Short of being in a very rural location for a very short period of time, maybe one short trip or 2 ? this resource (any transportation) would most likely be quickly over taken by force or first responders ect. Stay under the radar . Just my 2 cents.
I could use a truck to load or drag logs to my place down my remote canyon road. If you come up my canyon a chitstorm will unleash on you. Folks here are tough and all have guns.. Many are retired mil with some spec forces.

A truck could be used here. I wouldnt take it to the big city on a sunday drive.

The women here are tougher then the men in calif.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

This is a good article to review:

http://graywolfsurvival.com/5454/sur...-2-life-pulse/
Old 04-20-2017, 3:23 PM

Dozer wright. I know of more clutches that have been replaced then autos between my friends and family.

My last car went to 200,000 and the engine died, auto tranny was fine. Honda and Toyota make reliable autos from what I hear.

If I put on more then 200,000 miles of the world ends I have bigger issues.

My point is you don't need manuel. And not every one in your survival group may know hiw to drive a manuel. Will you be the only driver?

PS with auto you can shoot with one hand and reload with the other while steering with one knee!
Old 04-20-2017, 3:24 PM

Manual.... thanks auto correct
Old 04-20-2017, 8:59 PM

1980 Harley Davidson FLH. It's big, heavy & loud, it doesn't handle well and I wouldn't ever call it fast, but it kick starts reliably, has minimal electronics (battery, stator, condensor), and I can work on it easily.

Not to mention how cool would it be go cruising through the apocalypse on a shovelhead?!?
Old 04-21-2017, 8:22 PM

The primary reason for a manual transmission in the emp context is the ability to "bump start" a vehicle. However if the diodes in the alternator are fried most gas engines won't run (but fully mechanical diesel will if not too cold starting fluid will help start in second or third gear, not first.)

Last fully mechanical Mercedes diesel was 86 300 sd (a straight 6 sold only one year) but this vehicle very rare. The more common e class mechanical diesels end in 85 but beware the exhaust issue in 84 and 85.

Manual Mercedes diesels are rare on 3 litre 5 cylinder but can be retro fitted. This transmission also not very strong . These vehicles are very slow in traffic but have some real advantages very sturdy and on board hand pump to prime injectors.

If there is a massive emp or Carrington event depending on the time of day freeways may be unusable with dead vehicles blocking way. Bicycle may be the only practical way to go other than older motorcycles (a lot of older motorcycles have a magneto that allows engine to run without battery. )

Not a lot of great ways to go, i personally went with a 12 valve dodge cummins.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minermax View Post
Ditto
Old 05-15-2017, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornonthe4thofJuly View Post
95 to 97 Dodge 12 valve 5.9L Truck with Manuel Transmission ( to bump start ) P-7100 injection pump with Manuel shut lever. disconnect the electric shut down solenoid.
You mean '89 to '97.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOJ
The ability to register an Assault Weapon pursuant to Assembly Bill 1135 and Senate Bill 880, is not yet available. Pursuant to AB 1135 and SB 880, Assault Weapon registration regulations must be effective before any registrations can take place. At this time, the regulations are still pending, however they should be effective in the very near future. Please continue to check the Bureau of Firearms website for updates.
Old 05-15-2017, 8:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
Your not going to find a line in the sand. I had a 76 International Scout with an Ignition Control Module that was electronic. Without it you would not have been able to start or run the truck. Mine went bad twice and it would stop the truck from running.

Also, automatics are not all electronically controlled.

My EMP vehicle is a 79 Ford F250 with a diesel conversion and hydraulically controlled tranny.

As for if your vehicle will be disabled from a EMP or CME, no one knows for certain as it has not happened yet since digital electronics have been developed.
And many old cars have had their ignitions upgraded to digital stuff.. hard to find a car with points anymore. lol

As stated, it's never happened, ever, so it a lot of guesswork.
"Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Theodore Roosevelt

Member: Patron member NRA, lifetime member SAF, CRPA, Guardian Front Sight
Old 05-16-2017, 5:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I really have to doubt a solar flare would affect a vehicle. When it damaged grid equipment it was due to the distribution lines acting as giant antennas and there being no back EMF protection equipment.

I also wouldn't worry about EMP blasts since they have a very small radius, just stay 20 miles from potential nuke targets.

What I would bring in the vehicle is a tow strap and come-a-long. Good for lots of scenarios.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:36 AM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 View Post
And many old cars have had their ignitions upgraded to digital stuff.. hard to find a car with points anymore. lol

As stated, it's never happened, ever, so it a lot of guesswork.
I have a '71 GMC pickup with a newer HEI distributor in it, but I have a points-style distributor and coil as a backup that could be installed in 10 minutes.

Does anyone know about a VW Rabbit diesel pickup? My BIL had one, it seemed like it had a really basic engine. It also got something like 50 MPG.
Old 05-17-2017, 8:49 PM

Location: Presently located on a wind swept mountain in northeast Pennsylvania
Default Our Anti-Pulse Weapon Automobiles

We've got stashed away but driven at least every week, a couple of oddball cars.

Have owned the 1985 300D Turbo diesel 5-banger for almost ten years now. The thing is old enough in this state to qualify for antique plates with "permanent" registration. Insurance is of course very cheap being under a hundred bucks per year. Much of the criticism on these W123 Benz diesel cars is from people who never owned one. The 5-cylinder cast iron block & head Turbo Diesel 300D cars built from 1981-1985 are quick enough and move right along on the highway. These are great cruisers! Like all old cars, these things have quirks. There was a 6-cylinder diesel Mercedes 300SDL offered for just a few months in 1986 - 1987. They were big long wheel base luxury cars. The things were a disaster with iron blocks and aluminum heads that cracked as routine. A principle buying rule with any of these diesel Mercedes Benz cars of the 1980s era is to totally avoid California marketed cars. There was assorted added odd pollution junk that not only made more smog but ruined the engines. To savvy old diesel Benz buyers, that California Emissions Control label is the kiss of death for a purchase.

Then there is the trusty 1931 Ford tudor sedan. For most of my life, there's been at least one A Model Ford in the garage or shed. Used to go camping in Model A Fords all the time. Being high off the ground, these automobiles can go places where most other cars can not. Like a jeep, these ancient Fords actually need no roads to operate. The one we've got now was mechanically rebuilt to like new condition. The body is just fair with old peeling paint and mismatched color. To me . . . that great old car is perfect for rat racing around here n' there.

Craigslist is full of old cars without electronic ignition. Reliable and tough Slant six Dodge Dart and Plymouth Valiant cars built before 1974 are an excellent choice for anti EMP and survival vehicles. Many are even stick shifters on the column.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a300d1.jpg (96.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Afordc2.jpg (95.4 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Capt Quahog; 05-17-2017 at 8:53 PM..
Old 05-18-2017, 4:32 AM

Mindwip I find what you say interesting because of all the cars I have ever owned or had a significant other owned the only two that made over 150k on an auto were my Wifes 2006 Honda Pilot and My 89 Honda Accord that went 300k before being sold to someone not related to . Most hardly made 100k . But all Suv/ trucks towed not overloaded but did tow . It would take me a bit to make a list but Even bought new Tahoe went 75 k trans took a number 2 and Chevy installed 3 factory rebuilds before one worked more than a week . I get what your saying driving a Manual is a lost art . Even the Smog guy Couldn't drive my GT500 thought that was funny . Then agajn my 17 year olds been driving a manual since he was 11 Me I'll stick with the clutch peddle .