Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 02-22-2016, 2:21 AM

Default Mormon can goods?

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/cat...al-tips-index/

Are these good bargains: Mormon can goods?
Old 02-22-2016, 4:12 AM
My reality show sucks.
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: He only said, "2, lead you're on fire and save the fat one for me"

Can you cook from scratch?

It’s actually kind of beautiful that in America a large group of people known for owning guns are only feared because they vote.

Originally Posted by Lonestargrizzly
Is the lapdance from a donkey? Cuz that's worth it.
Old 02-22-2016, 5:19 AM

The LDS canneries are the best value is storing food long term. Nobody does it better and cheaper.

It has been discussed here many many times.
Old 02-23-2016, 3:59 PM

Think about it this way: They are offering to sell to you the same items they sell to their own Members (though I've been told the Members get a discount), preparedness is a cornerstone of their religion, frugality is a virtue to them. So yes, it's good food, packaged well, at a good deal. They are also very knowledgeable - if you ask them storage techniques, or cooking techniques, or recipes for the items they carry you will leave there much later than you intended and much more knowledgeable. From my experience they love taking the time to talk to people and give them advice. They will not carry coffee, chocolate, tobacco, and a few other items because it is against their religion, but you can always buy those items at Costco.
Old 02-23-2016, 4:09 PM

https://providentliving.lds.org/self...nters?lang=eng

Check out their website...lots of good info.
Old 02-23-2016, 9:07 PM
Veteran Member

None better!
Old 02-23-2016, 9:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Honeyville Farms is a good source for freeze-dried dehydrated as well as bulk dry goods and containers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.
Old 02-23-2016, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
Think about it this way: They are offering to sell to you the same items they sell to their own Members (though I've been told the Members get a discount), preparedness is a cornerstone of their religion, frugality is a virtue to them. So yes, it's good food, packaged well, at a good deal. They are also very knowledgeable - if you ask them storage techniques, or cooking techniques, or recipes for the items they carry you will leave there much later than you intended and much more knowledgeable. From my experience they love taking the time to talk to people and give them advice. They will not carry coffee, chocolate, tobacco, and a few other items because it is against their religion, but you can always buy those items at Costco.

With the caveat that chocolate is not verboten, this is all true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2016, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
Honeyville Farms is a good source for freeze-dried dehydrated as well as bulk dry goods and containers.
That cost 3 times per calorie than Mormon pantry food.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwoneg View Post

Mormons probably eat/drink more chocolate than the rest of the population (on average) because we have so few options for fun stuff available to us lol
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt

Before you hate on Mormons, remember that John Moses Browning was born to the 2nd wife of a Mormon polygamist
Old 02-24-2016, 11:26 AM

Get rid of chocolate and my wife will leave the church.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:34 PM

How do you gain invitation to their warehouse so you could buy them in the first place?
Old 02-24-2016, 1:03 PM

They are open to the public. You do not have to be a church member to buy at the pantry.

https://providentliving.lds.org/self...tions?lang=eng

That will list a pantry closest to you. Always call and find out their hours of being open as it is not open regular hours.

Last edited by KevinB; 02-24-2016 at 1:06 PM..
Old 02-24-2016, 1:05 PM

No invitation needed. But do call before going as their hours vary by location and day of the week.
Old 02-24-2016, 7:37 PM
Banned

Sure was better when you could can yourself at their site with their guidance. Damn govt regs....still good though
Old 02-24-2016, 7:47 PM

Yeah our gooberment hard at work. Such a shame.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwoneg View Post

Oh, that's interesting. I have heard that chocolate is on the list because it has caffeine in it? But now that we're talking about it Hot Cocoa is one of the things they sell (or did at one time), so I guess that must be sanctioned.

I bought several blocks of hard dark chocolate and sealed them in the mylar pouches I got from the LDS store. I can't keep it long enough to really find out the shelf life, but I have had some that made it almost a year and was still perfectly good.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Oh, that's interesting. I have heard that chocolate is on the list because it has caffeine in it? But now that we're talking about it Hot Cocoa is one of the things they sell (or did at one time), so I guess that must be sanctioned.

I bought several blocks of hard dark chocolate and sealed them in the mylar pouches I got from the LDS store. I can't keep it long enough to really find out the shelf life, but I have had some that made it almost a year and was still perfectly good.
yeah, chocolate is completely ok for their members to consume. last i heard the caffeine content is so minimal in chocolate that its not even really up for debate.

on that note, even soda with caffeine in it has been highly debated in the membership. the leaders have discouraged members from drinking it, but do not make it an actual offense that would prevent members from engaging in any temple ceremonies and such. interestingly though... regular use of coffee will prevent you from participating, but caffeine-riddled energy drinks technically do not.
Old 02-26-2016, 9:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothinghere2c View Post
yeah, chocolate is completely ok for their members to consume. last i heard the caffeine content is so minimal in chocolate that its not even really up for debate.

on that note, even soda with caffeine in it has been highly debated in the membership. the leaders have discouraged members from drinking it, but do not make it an actual offense that would prevent members from engaging in any temple ceremonies and such. interestingly though... regular use of coffee will prevent you from participating, but caffeine-riddled energy drinks technically do not.
If half the stuff I read about the LDS were true I would quit the church. I love when ladies ask how many wives I have. I ask if they are applying for the position.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:54 PM

Lol perfect answer.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Go there, and buy the stuff....learn to cook from scratch.

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
No more stupid threads. you have my word
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
Rule 1 I'll admit I'm a jerk when I post stupid thread.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher View Post
I'll do the picking.. Name wise .. if you don't mind...
Formerly lugerdevil666
Old 02-26-2016, 11:24 PM
Prawn Lives Matter
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripon83 View Post
Sure was better when you could can yourself at their site with their guidance. Damn govt regs....still good though
Not able to can anymore?
Buying items in bulk and repackaging or canning is what makes it a great deal.

-g
A choice of cancer or polio

-Jagger\Richards 68
Old 02-26-2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
If half the stuff I read about the LDS were true I would quit the church. I love when ladies ask how many wives I have. I ask if they are applying for the position.
I've used that line myself my neighbors on both sides of me keep trying to tell me how I'm failing to meet some guidelines by drinking soda or eating a candy. They also ask where's the rest of my kids and wives...smh.. one day my neighbor saw me unloading my truck after going out plinking he was telling me that Mormons are against the ownership and use of guns I'm like seriously where do people get these ideas and why not go and investigate the church so you have the correct info instead of listening to what unreliable information scores.. one of my favorite drinks at the moment is real sugar Pepsi but I'm a newish member to the lds community...just 5 years and a few months...

But back on topic the stuff you can get for food storage is a great deal my family started using the stuff that is nearing expiration and replacing but there is stuff that has a very long shelf life. I also wish I had the opportunity to do some of the canning because I heard it can be a very fun experience.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2016, 6:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I just received my second order a few days ago from the LDS online store. They were out of refried beans and potato flakes when I made my first order but I've got 'em now.

Good quality, good prices, and only $3 shipping.

I already made a couple loaves of potato bread with the dried spud flakes.
Old 02-28-2016, 7:22 AM

Quote:
yep Chocolate is illegal! in fact I am bring chocolate cookies for my class today. don't let the bishop know! JK

just messing with you. chocolate is all good my man. come over I will share a coke too
Old 02-28-2016, 3:08 PM

Quote:
I already made a couple loaves of potato bread with the dried spud flakes.
Is this something you did on the fly, or was a recipe?
After watching WTC Bldg #7 being razed, and considering it's main occupants..

I stumbled onto this note while checking advanced weapons..
"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".
Old 02-28-2016, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtru View Post
he was telling me that Mormons are against the ownership and use of guns I'm like seriously where do people get these ideas and why not go and investigate the church so you have the correct info instead of listening to what unreliable information scores..
haha yea no kidding. neighbors must not know many mormons then... the majority i've met all are very self sustaining and grew up around guns
Old 02-28-2016, 6:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkevin View Post
Is this something you did on the fly, or was a recipe?
I just went free style on this one. I started with a no-frills white bread recipe and replaced part of the water and flour with a cup of mashed potatoes.
The dough had a wonderful silky texture and it rose extremely quickly. I almost didn't have the oven hot in time.
The crumb and texture on the finished product was VERY nice and the flavor was good but a little bland in that "made with commercial yeast and 100% white flour" sort of way. I'm thinking about adding a cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese in it next time around.

A case of potato flakes is a lot for us so I'll be experimenting with ways to use them. Next time I make fish & chips I'll try breading the fish in potato flakes.
Next on the agenda: What to do with a whole case of dry refried beans. They have a relatively short advertised shelf life of 5 years. I'll probably be an expert on bean dip recipes by the time they're gone.

Anyway, to OP... We've bought wheat. pasta, powdered milk, rolled oats, dehydrated onions, potato flakes, refried beans from the LDS online store and we're quite pleased with the quality, price, and packaging of the items. And the (FedEx) shipping is $3. Doesn't seem to matter how much your purchase weighs. $3. Can't beat that.

I've never been to one of the LDS stores in person, but their online store gets 2 thumbs up from me.

Edited to add: If you buy #10 cans of stuff from the LDS store don't forget to include some #10 can LIDS in your order!

Last edited by Dubious_Beans; 02-28-2016 at 6:10 PM.. Reason: Don't forget the #10 lids!
Old 03-01-2016, 6:43 AM

Quote:
Fyi
Members do not get a discount
Only the coffee and tobacco is against the religion.
They sell hot choclate in #10 cans
Old 03-01-2016, 6:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothinghere2c View Post

Caffeine has not been identified (by the leadership of the church) as reasons for not drinking coffee or black tea... non-members frequently site it, so much so, now even members may frequently site it.... but it is not doctrinally accurate. avoiding addictive substances has been sited as a reason.....

Last edited by glb; 03-01-2016 at 6:58 AM..
Old 03-01-2016, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man WC View Post
Not able to can anymore?
Buying items in bulk and repackaging or canning is what makes it a great deal.

-g
Item now come pre canned.
But the ability to bring product there to can yourself has been prohibbited in CA. CA regulations. Other states its still ok.
Old 03-01-2016, 7:05 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Mormons are the original preppers, you didn't know that?
Old 03-01-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
Item now come pre canned.
But the ability to bring product there to can yourself has been prohibbited in CA. CA regulations. Other states its still ok.

Nope, nation wide. There are several self canning sites in the US but are few and far between. They are set up to address the federal food prep laws and regulations. Church members are still able to self can.

Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Mesa, Arizona
Boise, Idaho
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Carrollton, Texas
Lindon, Utah
Logan, Utah
Ogden, Utah
Salt Lake City, Utah (Welfare Square)
Sandy, Utah
Springville, Utah
St. George, Utah

That is the list of the only self canning sites left in the U.S. and Canada.

You can still buy cans, lids and all the rest from the pantry if you want to can your own. Some Wards have loaner can sealers. We only loan ours out to church members.

Last edited by KevinB; 03-01-2016 at 10:36 AM..
Old 03-25-2016, 10:03 PM

I get lots of my food storage from LDS canneries and it's all been great. I've also tried to add in some mountain house stuff recently due to the long shelf life!