Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 09-09-2016, 8:47 PM
Wikipidiot
CGN Contributor

Default Apple's are ripening

Made Apple butter and put up some hard for apple cider vinegar.

Used the new press and turned 40 pounds of windfall Apple's into 2 1/2 gallon fresh cider. So tasty.

Still have about 2000 pounds of apples in the trees. Likely going to pick them next week. Time to get creative and figure out what to do with all them apples.

Probably going mostly cider since I can freeze it until I figure out how to make hard cider.
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
We have the time and the hammers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown
Study and learn our history and law as it is -- not as you would like it to be.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

Pie, lots and lots of pie.
Old 09-10-2016, 3:27 AM

Apple pie moonshine!!
Old 09-10-2016, 8:09 AM

Apple pie, apple cobbler and apple jam will be the future for our apple crop this year. Just starting to ripen here in SoCal.
Old 09-10-2016, 8:59 AM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

I have a single, tiny apple tree. It is literally about 2 feet tall. It has really been struggling to survive in these dry conditions.

This year, it actually had a few apples on it that were coming along nicely until something ate them. Rabbits, probably. I'm hoping it grows taller.
Old 09-10-2016, 9:26 AM
Calguns Addict

There is nothing that I have ever tasted that is so delicious as fresh pressed apple cider.

OP you are very lucky.
Old 09-10-2016, 5:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

mmmmmmm....apple butter!

NRA Benefactor Member
NRA Golden Eagle
SAF Life Member
CGN Contributor
Old 09-10-2016, 8:22 PM
Veteran Member

My small "orchard" of 12 3yr old trees were raped of what little apples they had this year by critters. Most of mine are cider crabs from Monticello, can't wait for the days of hard cider.......
Old 09-11-2016, 8:30 AM
Wikipidiot
CGN Contributor

Crows have been a huge problem. Elk and deer did get the few cracked branches other wise the trees are too tall for them.

Our new back orchard has an electric fence which has been working well.

Gotta do something about those crows.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:18 AM

Don't forget apple sauce. Nothing better if made right and stores forever.

Crows don't take well to being shot at. Kill a few and they will disappear for awhile. Make sure they are not Ravens, protected.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:29 AM

Hard cider is pretty easy to make. You need a fermenter with a lid. Sparklets bottles with rubber stoppers work well, as do food-grade plastic buckets with lids (you have to drill a hole in the lid to fit the airlock). The buckets can be found at Smart and Final, etc. You also need champagne yeast (really any yeast will work but champagne yeast is best). You will also need an air lock. The yeast, stoppers and air locks can be found at a brew store or order online.

Put fresh cider in the containers. Leave about 1/3 empty to allow for foam. Take about 1/2 cup of cider and 1/2 cup of water and put it in a mason jar or similar. Add your packet of yeast and set in a warm - not hot - cover with clean cloth and place until it bubbles a lot. Usually a few hours to a half-day. This is "blooming" your yeast.

Add bloomed yeast to apple cider, stir and put the lid on, add the air lock and wait. In my experience you should notice a bit of a "brewery" smell in 24 hours. If it doesn't start to bubble within 48 hours try again.

There isn't much sugar in apple juice so it should only take about a week to ferment. Rack the hard cider into another container (racking is siphoning without getting the sediment) and let it set for a day to clear. At this point there will still be a bit of active yeast, so add about 1 cup of sugar dissolved cold in 1 cup of fresh apple juice and stir it into the hard cider. That adds food for the remaining yeast. Bottle and cap right away. As the yeast consumes the sugar in the bottle it releases Co2 and carbonates it. It will only be around 2 - 3% alcohol when done, and is really refreshing.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:39 AM

If you want to make something stronger you either need a still (which if caught will cost you your right to keep and bear arms), or you can "Jack" it (no comments from the peanut gallery). Old timers would make Apple Jack by taking hard cider (post above) and setting it outside to freeze. Water in the cider will freeze at 32F, but IIRC ethanol is liquid down to -113F. So stick a container full of hard cider into your freezer and let it freeze hard. Take it out, pour off the liquid and you have Apple Jack. It kicks like a mule. When you "Jack" booze you are getting both ethanol (good) and methanol (bad). Drink enough methanol and you get an awful hangover; drink too much and you go blind, get "Jake-leg" or die.

In a still you can control ethanol/methanol production so the danger is much, much less.

If you are interested in beer, wine, or spirits, I highly recommend "The Alaskan Bootleggers Bible." $20 on Amazon or you can download it for free on a few web sites.

Last edited by Barbarosa; 09-11-2016 at 11:46 AM..
Old 09-12-2016, 10:57 AM
Wikipidiot
CGN Contributor

Freezing to concentrate is still considered distilling by the feds.