Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 05-23-2015, 5:54 PM
Manufacturer / Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Wife and I finally bought the farm!

After a long search, the wife and I finally located some retirement acreage in the Great American Redoubt, far from the unwashed hordes that are sure to emanate from the cities when SHTF.

This place was a family farm at one time and comes complete with original homestead, outhouse, and some used farm equipment. Depending on what this equipment is, we may try our hand at some farming, give it to someone who can use it, weld it up into modern art to exhibit in museums (or sell by the roadside), or haul it to the scrap yard.

Can anyone with some farm experience help us identify the equipment? Crappy cellphone photos I know but this is all I have from an initial survey of the place.

-Mark

MF1:

MF1, back view:

MF2:

MF4:

MF5:

MF6:

MF6 alternate view:

Last edited by Exile Machine; 05-01-2017 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: added another photo
Old 05-23-2015, 6:09 PM

First looks like seed drill, then maybe a mower I cant tell...and a disk...hard to see from pics. I think more qualified will chime in.

My uncle has a row of old implements from about 1920 to 1970..
Old 05-23-2015, 6:39 PM

Nice antique drill planter (spokes) for small grains; green drill planter isnt quite as old. Can't figure out what the PTO implement is under blue tarp? Might be a bailer?
Old 05-23-2015, 6:46 PM

MF1. front and back Hay Rake and I can't tell what the old set of wagon wheels is;
MF2: Drill, or call it a seeder, for putting seed into the ground to grow crops;
MF4: Hay baler, for making hay bales;
MF5: Disc, for cultivating ground after you have harvested crops;
MF6: Appears to be fertilizer box; possibly another drill/seeder, can't see the bottom clear enough;
Old 05-23-2015, 6:46 PM

Looks like you purchased a farm that is suitable for grain and hay farming.

The implements that are there are 40-60 years old.

The main thing to understand is that the farm is suitable for its historic use.

Many rookies make the mistake of trying to grow crops that are not suitable to the region.

Signed:

North Dakota and California farmer.
Old 05-23-2015, 6:53 PM

But again mf1 back view almost makes it appear as a plow set and not a hay rake; very hard to tell with these images.

The drill in MF2 is probably 1930's or 1940's'
The International Haverster bailer in MF4 is probably late 1960s or early 1970s, PTO driver by the driveshaft which hooks to the PTO on the back of the wheel tractor that pulls it;
The disc in MF5 is probably early 1960s? maybe 1950s?

MF6, be it a drill or fertilizer box, 1960's, maybe early 1970s.

Yes, I grew up on a farm that my grandparents started farming with horse and mule drawn equipment.
Old 05-23-2015, 7:49 PM
Veteran Member

Looks like it's old and it's worth it's weight in steel. Recycle.
Big difference between gardening and farming. I suggest you start out with the former before you dive into the latter. Might I suggest an orchard?
I suck at gardening and have a self certified black thumb.
Lemon and orange trees are working for me and they do great. At least I won't die of scurvy. Learned to like whiskey sour too.
Good luck on your new spread OP.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 05-23-2015, 8:49 PM
Manufacturer / Retailer

Thanks for the info. Calguns level of expertise never ceases to amaze on just about any chosen topic.

Yep this farm was a grain / hay farm at one time. We have gotten real good at gardening in Texas but would have to adapt to short-season gardening in the frozen north. Was hoping the international harvester (ref:MF4) was a snow blower tractor attachment but no such luck.

Can't see how we'd farm anything but hay on here (soil analysis says hay and forest is what the soil is good for). There is already a small orchard on the property, various fruit and nut trees. Might expand on that. Plenty of wildlife as well: deer, elk, moose, beaver, and fish.

-Mark
Old 05-23-2015, 9:21 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Riverside County - where the rednecks and hillbillies meet the suburbs

What state did you settle in?

Join the discussion at:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352777
Old 05-23-2015, 9:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Yep
Old farm equipment.

Haters got to hate. Winnin again. Go Trump

Why is it the guys who really know how to fix this country's problems spend all their time fixing old cars?
Old 05-23-2015, 10:55 PM
Calguns Addict

scrap metal ????

BRASS for sale 223/556, 9mm- http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=849402
Old 05-24-2015, 9:33 AM

Drive around the area and see what your neighbors are farming. Look for something that is different and has been there awhile. New plantings are susceptible to weather extremes.
Maybe the county agriculture extension agent can give you a heads-up on some ideas. I believe every county in the US has an ag agent, a remnant of Great Depression legislation.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
bought the farm

Etymology (idiomatic, US informal euphemistic) simple past tense and past participle of buy the farm: died; often refers to death in battle or by a plane crash.
RIP
Old 05-24-2015, 3:31 PM

Your first purchase will be a tractor. Depending on the acreage, your tractor will be sized accordingly. Stop by a local tractor sales, implement dealership and ask them if they have anything that would suit your need. Stick with major name brand equipment, John Deere, CaseIH, etc. Each region has its favorites. A used tractor will be what you're looking for. The big operators trade equipment all the time, mostly for tax purposes, so there is a lot of good equipment available. But name brand tractors are like firearms, they hold their value. Take your time and learn to trust the dealerships. They're local and in it for the long haul and their recommendations can usually be trusted.

My Dad sold farm equipment(IH), for 50 years. When I was a kid, beginning about age 12, my part time job was assembling farm equipment that came in to his dealership on rail: rakes, mowers, chisel plows, planters, balers, discs, etc.
Old 05-24-2015, 4:21 PM
Veteran Member

They look like shooting targets

Old 05-24-2015, 4:34 PM

I think MF6 is a machine for turning beets,turnips or potatoes into animal food, works like a meat slicer attached to a tractors PTO.

Keep yer powder dry.
SeaHound1 ♧
Old 05-28-2015, 9:41 AM
In Memoriam

I want to know what's behind the black bar

WTS: 870 Barrel Clamp/Railed Mount

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/...af415fafe8.jpg
Old 05-28-2015, 9:44 AM
Manufacturer / Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHShooter View Post
I want to know what's behind the black bar
Obligatory OPSEC blackout. There's actually nothing behind there except a natural spring and springhouse. Equivalent of making sure feet appear in a gun photo.

-Mark
Old 06-06-2015, 3:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Smart money would be to have one of the local farmers rent the land from you, and share the crop with you. You make a few bucks, get some veggies out of it, and the farmer does all the work. Common practice here where we are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
I don't like getting my butt kicked, but I would like to have it spanked by some big hairy guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
I wouldn't put "mounting a weasel" past too many people on this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...
-Gene
Old 06-06-2015, 6:33 PM
Veteran Member

Congrats on the purchase! Hope you two have many happy years there.
Old 06-06-2015, 6:41 PM
Veteran Member

Green Acres Baby!!!! Well done ExMac well done.
Old 06-06-2015, 6:43 PM
Veteran Member

Careful of the farm implements. They aren't forgiving.
Old 06-11-2015, 7:28 AM

I agree with stormfeather. Watch and learn and maybe try farming for yourself after you realize what it takes. Tractors are expensive and so is fixing old equipment, especially if you have to hire someone to do the repairs. Good luck , im jealous.
Old 06-11-2015, 9:26 AM
Manufacturer / Retailer

Thanks for the encouraging words and the suggestions for how to proceed. Initial plan is to get the house designed and built first, then weather permitting build a small garden at least equal in size to our current backyard garden. After that's started we'll load up our chicken coop with chickens.

We are moving mainly because my wife (native Texan) has finally had enough of the heat here in Dallas. We chose a northern Idaho location for the cooler weather and for the favorable liberty-minded political climate there, as well as avoiding the overcrowding of the city and potential for civil unrest.

We are planning to be as self sufficient as possible within three years of arrival next summer so we selected a property with three forms of water (natural springs, rain, and a year-round creek). The creek will be used for irrigation but more importantly to generate year-round hydro power. That plus solar in the summer should cover us for our off grid electrical needs. There is grid power to the property in case all else fails.

All existing water rights will transfer with the property, and they are comprehensive and well documented. This is a huge deal because in Idaho the right to use natural water belongs to those who have filed rights on it with the state, not necessarily to the property owner on which the water is located.

We already are partly self sufficient here in Dallas. We do urban farming with a huge garden and a coop full of chickens. The wife wants to expand that to additional animals including chickens, roosters, rabbits, goats, sheep, bees, eventually cattle etc.

We are not "green" tree hugger environmentalist types by any stretch but we are working with a local architect and builder to design and construct a super energy-efficient passive house. The goal being to reduce the energy costs required.

There is an old farmhouse on the land but it is too far gone. We will have it demolished and hauled off. There is asbestos in the shingles as well as the interior of the house or we would have just put 164lbs of Tannerite inside and detonated it ourselves. Shooting is allowed of course on the property any time. There is a shooting range already set up.

We're going to be up there this summer shortly after closing to fix up the outbuildings and begin restoration on the historic barn. My older brother is coming up from Houston to lend a hand. He just retired this year at age 56 and has a lot of free time on his hands, and lots of tools.

-Mark
Old 06-11-2015, 9:41 AM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

Hope this works out, we are all jelly on your new spread.

Maybe consider a hothouse to expand your growing season for edible veggies/herbs?

In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box.
Steve Symms, ex-U.S. Senator, Idaho

Old 06-11-2015, 10:09 AM
Manufacturer / Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese Falcon View Post
Maybe consider a hothouse to expand your growing season for edible veggies/herbs?
Yep we were at one time considering this off grid property in Elk City, and it had a great greenhouse that could have been outfitted with lights and some heat.

We'll have to see what the budget looks like after the house is done and the barn restored. We really liked that Elk City greenhouse and would like to do something similar.

Changing from Dallas to N. Idaho we're going to be in for a big reduction in the growing season.

As an aside, we had a realtor tell us that pretty much all of Elk City Idaho is for sale, even if not listed. Would make a great Calguns group buy. It's a very beautiful and extremely remote area, and fast becoming a ghost town.

-Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2195891_orig.jpg (72.4 KB, 571 views)

Last edited by Exile Machine; 06-11-2015 at 10:11 AM..
Old 06-12-2015, 4:47 PM

I'm just closing escrow on a farm in SE Washington. 40 acres, of which 38 acres are leased to the neighboring farmer for enough income to pay property taxes plus most of the utilities. Plus, I'll be able shoot right from the yard. Pretty stoked. Not missing the OC at all.
Old 06-12-2015, 6:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile Machine View Post
Thanks for the encouraging words and the suggestions for how to proceed. Initial plan is to get the house designed and built first, then weather permitting build a small garden at least equal in size to our current backyard garden. After that's started we'll load up our chicken coop with chickens.

We are moving mainly because my wife (native Texan) has finally had enough of the heat here in Dallas. We chose a northern Idaho location for the cooler weather and for the favorable liberty-minded political climate there, as well as avoiding the overcrowding of the city and potential for civil unrest.

We are planning to be as self sufficient as possible within three years of arrival next summer so we selected a property with three forms of water (natural springs, rain, and a year-round creek). The creek will be used for irrigation but more importantly to generate year-round hydro power. That plus solar in the summer should cover us for our off grid electrical needs. There is grid power to the property in case all else fails.

All existing water rights will transfer with the property, and they are comprehensive and well documented. This is a huge deal because in Idaho the right to use natural water belongs to those who have filed rights on it with the state, not necessarily to the property owner on which the water is located.

We already are partly self sufficient here in Dallas. We do urban farming with a huge garden and a coop full of chickens. The wife wants to expand that to additional animals including chickens, roosters, rabbits, goats, sheep, bees, eventually cattle etc.

We are not "green" tree hugger environmentalist types by any stretch but we are working with a local architect and builder to design and construct a super energy-efficient passive house. The goal being to reduce the energy costs required.

There is an old farmhouse on the land but it is too far gone. We will have it demolished and hauled off. There is asbestos in the shingles as well as the interior of the house or we would have just put 164lbs of Tannerite inside and detonated it ourselves. Shooting is allowed of course on the property any time. There is a shooting range already set up.

We're going to be up there this summer shortly after closing to fix up the outbuildings and begin restoration on the historic barn. My older brother is coming up from Houston to lend a hand. He just retired this year at age 56 and has a lot of free time on his hands, and lots of tools.

-Mark
Well that just sounds absolutely lovely! Congratulations! But I have some questions!

Do you recall what the price was on the Elk City property you linked to? I realize it's sold. Just trying to get a ballpark idea on cost of things and a rough idea of what you get for your money.

What type of features are you designing into your passive house? I'm very interested in off grid living so always curious what and how people do things.

That green house looks fantastic! If you end up with a tractor in all of this, consider sinking the greenhouse 3-4 feet or so. Will help with temperature regulation in colder areas. Just an idea.

Oh, and is there a guest room for me!?
Old 06-12-2015, 6:58 PM

@baeleron, what part of SE Washington? that where I grew up and go hunting every fall.
Old 06-12-2015, 7:17 PM
Manufacturer / Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
Well that just sounds absolutely lovely! Congratulations! But I have some questions!

Do you recall what the price was on the Elk City property you linked to? I realize it's sold. Just trying to get a ballpark idea on cost of things and a rough idea of what you get for your money.

What type of features are you designing into your passive house? I'm very interested in off grid living so always curious what and how people do things.

That green house looks fantastic! If you end up with a tractor in all of this, consider sinking the greenhouse 3-4 feet or so. Will help with temperature regulation in colder areas. Just an idea.

Oh, and is there a guest room for me!?
I believe the Elk City property was in the high $200K range. I want to say $275K. I don't know what it sold for but $275K would have been too high for 18 mountainous acres on poor soil and the house was not well insulated and had an odd floorplan. There was a public ATV trail easement right through the property as well and though there was a river running through the land, no water rights (not to say you couldn't try to apply for some, but none existing). Add to that Elk City's population has been steadily declining over the last 10-15 years, to the point that they can't even support a gas station in town. You'd have to go 50 miles to gas up. And that's 50 miles of twisty windy mountainous road. Another 10 years and that place will be a ghost town. Perfect spot for some looking to really get away from it all without moving to Alaska, but that was just too remote for what we were looking for.

As to the house, we haven't nailed down specific requirements yet. We do want it to look like it belongs on a north Idaho farm. Initial plan is to go 100% electric heating on the house. That will depend on how much hydropower we can extract from the creek. Back-of-the-envelope calculation says there should be plenty. Wife wants to build a rocket-mass heater in the greenhouse.

Not sure if we will have a guest room but there is plenty of space to park an RV or pitch a tent...

-Mark
Old 06-12-2015, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swruger View Post
@baeleron, what part of SE Washington? that where I grew up and go hunting every fall.
Walla Walla valley. I've never hunted, but I intend to give it a go!
Old 06-12-2015, 7:57 PM
Guitar: The Deplorables

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalalp View Post
Many rookies make the mistake of trying to grow crops that are not suitable to the region.

Signed:

.....California farmer.
You're not the guy who keeps growing liberals are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:28 AM
Manufacturer / Retailer

Closed on the place last week. Walked the grounds for awhile and found some additional old rusted farm equipment:

1. (same as MF6 above) (The neighbor says this is a homebrew gasoline powered cement mixer):

2. This one has a bunch of circular metal plates held within a frame:

3. This piece has a bunch of spiral metal pieces attached within a frame:

4. This odd device with multiple blades has got the name MASSEY HARRIS painted on it:

5. These were so covered with weeds and brush I almost missed them. Top one looks like metal plates in a frame, smaller than the one previously posted. The bottom one is a couple of wooden beams connected by a metal frame. Got two closer pictures of that coming up in the next post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-08-13 10.35.03.jpg (97.1 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-08-13 10.28.44.jpg (101.1 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-08-13 10.26.45.jpg (101.7 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-08-13 10.25.15.jpg (102.8 KB, 331 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-08-13 10.13.06.jpg (106.5 KB, 326 views)

Last edited by Exile Machine; 08-15-2015 at 12:22 PM..
Old 08-15-2015, 11:28 AM
Manufacturer / Retailer

5.1, This is a closeup of the uphill side of that last item:

5.2, And a closeup of the downhill side:

T1, This looks like what's left of a homebrew flatbed trailer:

I put a quadcopter and GoPro in the air to get some aerial shots. Had to keep it moving to avoid neighborly shotgun blasts.

Aerial of the old spring house. Hard for this lifelong suburban-slicker to imagine water just oozing up out of the ground constantly decade after decade. Even harder to imagine drinking it.

-Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spring.jpg (94.0 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by Exile Machine; 08-15-2015 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: fixed scrozzled images
Old 08-15-2015, 11:59 AM
Guitar: The Deplorables

Items 2 and 4 would be plows.

The aerial shot is beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 08-15-2015, 2:45 PM
Veteran Member

Consider a large clearing for fire safety. That looks a little sketchy. Place looks beautiful!
Old 08-15-2015, 3:05 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasbrg View Post

bought the farm

Etymology (idiomatic, US informal euphemistic) simple past tense and past participle of buy the farm: died; often refers to death in battle or by a plane crash.
RIP
A saying that came into play during WWI. Many Doughboys were from rural areas and farms. When they were killed, their folks mostly used their GI life insurance (War Risk Insurance Program) to pay off the remaining debt on their farm properties. So they "Bought the farm."

Congrats on your farm OP, it looks great and I'm sure we'll see more as you improve on it. Best of luck to you.
Old 08-15-2015, 3:13 PM

pic 1,2,4 are Rakes I use one every year for flipping beans.

second set of pics, 2 Is a disc. 3, Is a spring tooth harrow.

Looks like they grew hay. And seems to Be maybe 20-30 Acres.

If you don't want to farm, Rent the land and take a cash % of crop and make sure power bill Is covered by them for the well.

Learn how to do It.

Hay Is easy to farm. You can rent Tractors, Hire out the field work ect.
Old 10-08-2015, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile Machine View Post
I believe the Elk City property was in the high $200K range. I want to say $275K. I don't know what it sold for but $275K would have been too high for 18 mountainous acres on poor soil and the house was not well insulated and had an odd floorplan. There was a public ATV trail easement right through the property as well and though there was a river running through the land, no water rights (not to say you couldn't try to apply for some, but none existing). Add to that Elk City's population has been steadily declining over the last 10-15 years, to the point that they can't even support a gas station in town. You'd have to go 50 miles to gas up. And that's 50 miles of twisty windy mountainous road. Another 10 years and that place will be a ghost town. Perfect spot for some looking to really get away from it all without moving to Alaska, but that was just too remote for what we were looking for.

As to the house, we haven't nailed down specific requirements yet. We do want it to look like it belongs on a north Idaho farm. Initial plan is to go 100% electric heating on the house. That will depend on how much hydropower we can extract from the creek. Back-of-the-envelope calculation says there should be plenty. Wife wants to build a rocket-mass heater in the greenhouse.

Not sure if we will have a guest room but there is plenty of space to park an RV or pitch a tent...

-Mark

Hey...all you need to do is put in some 30/50amp drops, water outlets and some of us CAL gunners can come up and visit you during the warmer summers!!!

CA - Done
Old 02-29-2016, 5:08 AM

Well the architect has finished the passive house design and we break ground in March. Can't wait to get moved in.

Final plans feature:

Passive house design - 15-inch thick walls insulated to R60. Thick geo-foam insulation under concrete slab. Air sealing applied during construction to prevent intrusion of unconditioned air. Whole-house heat recovery ventilation system that brings in fresh air, and exhausts stale air through a heat exchanger to minimize heat loss. Heating/cooling via a single ductless mini-split heat pump. Utilities all electric - no gas, propane, or wood. Triple pane windows.

10KW grid tied solar system with Lithium Ferrophosphate battery backup. (Hydroelectric to be added later after we completely characterize the flow of the creek). Panels will be manually adjustable to optimize light gathering during the four seasons of the year, and ground mounted for easy maintenance. We should be able to go offgrid but our local utility allows us to bank excess kWh for later withdrawal, so we may take advantage of that at least in the near term.

Root Cellar (that's the cubelike structure behind garage and main house). This is built around a new, unused 3000 gallon concrete septic tank, which will have a defect that makes it unsuitable for use as a septic tank (thus cutting the cost by 50%), into which our builder will cut and install a door. It will be buried under earth but have a ground level entry (no stairs). Will be fitted with electric light and wood shelves.

Composting septic system. - In many ways like a regular septic system but instead of a sludge chamber that has to be pumped out and hauled off every few years, it has a sludge composting unit that collects the sludge for composting and use on-site for growing ornamental plants.

The water system is a combination of spring fed and rainwater, gravity fed into a 6000 gallon underground concrete cistern. This is filtered, UV sterilized and then pumped to the house.

-Mark

Last edited by lowracer; 02-29-2016 at 5:39 AM..