Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member

Default Log splitter Q's

Looking to get a log splitter (we heat with wood) for price & features I've narrowed the search down to Tractor Supply's Countryline 22 ton or Dirty Hand Tools 22 ton, both are generally $999ish. Anyone have feedback on either (or both) or anything else in the same price range I should be looking at?

The DHT has great reviews (from what I've found) and has the extra bonus of being sold by Lowes, so I could put it on my card & have them set it up and fill with fluids.

For what it's worth, I will be splitting seasoned as well as fresh oak 12" - 20" rounds, & probably 3 - 4 cords each season.....
Old 02-01-2016, 9:04 AM

We burn about 8 cords of firewood per year between the ranch and the house in town. The kids all burn wood, 4 houses so we go thru a bunch of wood.

Ours is a self built unit that has a 20 hp Honda. It splits anything.

A little bit of wisdom, don't let your friends and family know you have a splitter. It seem that they think you like to split wood for fun. Never lend it out either.

Change the hyd oil every year or two.

Last edited by KevinB; 02-01-2016 at 12:24 PM..
Old 02-01-2016, 3:05 PM
Calguns Addict

I have the DHT 27-ton, it's similar to the 22 ton but came with the log cradle:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_612989-74081...d=50223055#img

I got it "on sale" plus the 10% mover's coupon (ebay), it was about $800 OTD. Shockingly good deal. Just get the 10% off coupon from ebay before you go shopping

No bad things to say about it. The log cradle only matters if you're using it horizontally. Most of the time my wood chunks are too heavy to pick up so I use it in vertical mode.

The hardest I've split with it has been Eucalyptus and it's gone through everything.
Old 02-01-2016, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post

A little bit of wisdom, don't let your friends and family know you have a splitter. Never lend it out either.

Change the hyd oil every year or two.
Very wise man, I've seen a few borrowed log splitters either not come back for a very long time or come back broken.
Old 02-02-2016, 4:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maht_g View Post
Very wise man, I've seen a few borrowed log splitters either not come back for a very long time or come back broken.
Indeed
Old 02-02-2016, 4:27 PM

I have a 27 ton Troybuilt from Lowes. They let me use a 20% Harbor Freight coupon and i walked out the door for under $1200. I've split probably 37=40 cords thus far with no hiccups. Honda motor.
Old 02-02-2016, 9:18 PM

For you guys with log splitters, what's the difference between the lower end like a 22 ton splitter and one that is rated at 30 tons or so? Is the higher tonnage splitter faster? Is it worth the extra money? What should someone be looking for in a log splitter or what should they avoid? I hope to hear more on this topic as I see a log splitter in my future.
Old 02-03-2016, 8:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinfin View Post
For you guys with log splitters, what's the difference between the lower end like a 22 ton splitter and one that is rated at 30 tons or so? Is the higher tonnage splitter faster? Is it worth the extra money? What should someone be looking for in a log splitter or what should they avoid? I hope to hear more on this topic as I see a log splitter in my future.
It is all about HP and the pump. Single stage pumps are really slow. This means that basically the ram has one speed, slow. With a 2 stage pump the ram extends faster till more power is needed and goes slower with more power.

More HP means stronger and faster. Also if you are getting a bigger one make sure the hyd tank is pretty big. the oil gets pretty hot.

If you are just a home owner that will be splitting 3 or 4 cords a year you don't need a high dollar machine.
Old 02-03-2016, 4:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
It is all about HP and the pump. Single stage pumps are really slow. This means that basically the ram has one speed, slow. With a 2 stage pump the ram extends faster till more power is needed and goes slower with more power.
Good to know!
Old 02-03-2016, 9:27 PM

Quote:

More HP means stronger and faster. Also if you are getting a bigger one make sure the hyd tank is pretty big. the oil gets pretty hot.

If you are just a home owner that will be splitting 3 or 4 cords a year you don't need a high dollar machine.
Thanks for the tips. About 3-4 cords per year is what I would be splitting. I just want to avoid buying a machine I would be unhappy with.
Old 02-04-2016, 5:56 AM

When we built ours we we looking for something fast and powerful and quite. This is the reason we went with a Honda motor.

Somebody gave me a old frame and axle from a pretty big old splitter. We built ours from there. It has served us well for over 20 years. I made up new hoses for it a couple of years ago and we change the hyd filter on a regular basis.

My kids hated cutting, splitting and stacking firewood when they were young, now that they are paying the heating bills they don't mind a bit and their kids hate it. We cut firewood all year and just pile up the rounds and get together and split it on a weekend and divvy it up.

It goes pretty fast with my clan.

I guess we have given 5 or 6 cords of wood away this winter to family's in need thru the church.
Old 02-07-2016, 1:30 PM
Veteran Member

Get the highest power splitter that you can afford A couple years ago I had to cut 2 dying oak trees. I could barely move the rounds with my 23 year old sons help. The splitter split the rounds with ease. There is nothing worse than in the middle of a job realizing that for a few hundred dollars more you could have gotten a splitter that does the job.
Old 02-09-2016, 5:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
Get the highest power splitter that you can afford A couple years ago I had to cut 2 dying oak trees. I could barely move the rounds with my 23 year old sons help. The splitter split the rounds with ease. There is nothing worse than in the middle of a job realizing that for a few hundred dollars more you could have gotten a splitter that does the job.
What splitter did you use?
Old 02-10-2016, 10:10 AM

Most commercial splitters are only rated in tons of force, and then often the math needs to be checked. To calculate ram force multiply the area of the piston by the pressure of the pump.

Example the troy built 27 ton splitter has a 4.5 inch ram. Area =15.9 so the pump would need to make 3,396 psi. Interesting because most pumps only do 3,000 psi max making this a 23-24ton splitter. Maybe is some lab they managed to squeeze 3400 psi out of this thing but I don't recall seeing any typical pump with more than a 3000 max psi.

By buying a larger engine you can push a larger pump and move more fluid witch fills the cylinder faster making for faster cycle times. You can make a 40 ton splitter with a 2hp engine by using a low gpm pump and a huge cylinder, but it would be horribly slow.

Its not my style ,but if you are only splitting a few cords a year it might make sense to rent one. My splitter gets about 10 hours of use a year over about a week once a year. Tuff to justify even the maintenance let alone the time and materials to build the thing. Then hauling it around to friends that some how found out I built a wood splitter. I will not loan it out and let someone else run it. If it goes so do I, so they have to be a pretty good friend.

Last edited by luckylogger6; 02-10-2016 at 10:15 AM..
Old 02-10-2016, 6:18 PM

This one is great! Ram splits in both directions, towable, has fences on both sides to keep wood from falling to the ground.

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-ton-...ter-61594.html

yeah it's HF but it's also really good.

Some idiots are too busy knowing it all to ever learn anything

"...this isn't a perfect world. It's California."
Old 02-10-2016, 8:30 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy View Post
This one is great! Ram splits in both directions, towable, has fences on both sides to keep wood from falling to the ground.

I have this one and it is great. A lot faster than the standard one direction types. Plows through everything I've thrown at it. At that sale price of $750 it's a fantastic deal.

Unfortunately, it can't be shipped to CA.
Old 02-10-2016, 9:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen_B View Post
I have this one and it is great. A lot faster than the standard one direction types. Plows through everything I've thrown at it. At that sale price of $750 it's a fantastic deal.

Unfortunately, it can't be shipped to CA.
Appreciate the info, but HF has never lasted me more than a few uses! It maybe great, but I don't mind spending a little bit more for a name brand & warranty
Old 02-11-2016, 6:46 AM

Interesting concept on the on two way HF splitter.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:32 PM

The best splitters you can get are connected to your upper torso, they're called arms, which are connected to hands. They grasp a maul, which you swing in the direction of a round, which in turn splits the round. The upside is you warm your self twice when you split your own wood...win win. I fall, buck, and spit 8 cords a year, by hand...soo there's that.

- Rush Limbaugh
Old 02-14-2016, 11:04 PM
Calguns Addict

http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Power...308f0750dfcc82
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Samuel Adams
Old 02-15-2016, 2:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_530 View Post
The best splitters you can get are connected to your upper torso, they're called arms, which are connected to hands. They grasp a maul, which you swing in the direction of a round, which in turn splits the round. The upside is you warm your self twice when you split your own wood...win win. I fall, buck, and spit 8 cords a year, by hand...soo there's that.
Rockstar on you!

Many moons ago I was ejected from a vehicle & had it land on top of me, so I'm not quite the stud you are...... Not disabled, just one broken b:1c#, oh, not to mention I'm fat & outta shape......

But thanks for bringing the topic back up! Still on the fence, Tractor supply 22 ton vs Dirth hand tools 22 ton? I still can't come up with a clear winner ~ Firsthand knowledge much appreciated!
Old 03-24-2016, 4:54 PM
Veteran Member

Well lowes had the 22 ton DHT on sale for $999 plus 5% off with lowes card, so I got me a splitter! Now to figure out how to use the damn thing.......
Old 03-24-2016, 5:57 PM

Quote:

A little bit of wisdom, don't let your friends and family know you have a splitter. It seem that they think you like to split wood for fun. Never lend it out either.
Heed this warning
Old 03-24-2016, 9:47 PM

Quote:

This is where you throw those people a curve ball, when they want to borrow your "wood splitter" you bring them a maul and say here ya go!

- Rush Limbaugh
Old 03-24-2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_530 View Post
This is where you throw those people a curve ball, when they want to borrow your "wood splitter" you bring them a maul and say here ya go!
Lol I'd do that.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2016, 11:49 PM

I tell them it's at the cabin, about 100 miles away. I'd never, ever lend it out. I also don't lend out chainsaws. Have heard too many horror stories.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:30 AM

I have an Oregon 28T splitter with the Kohler engine. We've split about 35 cords in two years with it with a valve rebuild and a new ram this spring. The ram could have been rebuilt, but I needed to keep the machine going to keep up with firewood demand this last winter. It goes tgrough seasoned euc rounds like butter if there are no limb grains in it, goes through most limb rounds with some thought as to placement. Not very fast though. It takes about three hours to split a cord with a three man crew working it.
I have about 40-50 more cords of euc still standing so I'll probably upgrade to a high production splitter in the future. Never lend power equipment out!