Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 02-20-2017, 9:16 AM

Default Can we pack/can our own green coffee beans in cans?

I saw the costa rican green shtf beans for sale. I tried it and the coffee absolutely sucked. It was flat and weak, it tasted like tea.

So.....

Would it be possible to can our own green beans in #10 cans or smaller with O2 absorbers and maybe some nitrogen? Purge the can with Nitrogen while sealing and pop in a couple O2 eaters?

Would there be a risk of botulism with green beans? Or bacteria or mold long term?

Opinions?
Old 02-20-2017, 9:36 AM
Deplorable
CGN Contributor

Never tried it myself but I've read up on it over on Survivalist Boards. That's the method most suggest for long term storage. Lots of videos on youtube about roasting beans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
I want to be Princess Anastasia today because I feel pretty
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterBoreGunner View Post
Kes is really just an errand boy
Proud NRA Member.
Tere Hanges 2013 participant.
Old 02-20-2017, 1:27 PM

The Costco #10 cans of ground coffee generally have expiration dates about a year & a half out. Some people may not like it, but I do. I go through about a can a month and keep 14 - 18 cans on the shelf at all times. I have had some right at the expiration date and it tastes fine to me (I expect you could probably go several months past expiration before you would even notice).

Unless you want more than a year & a half supply, why would you buy more expensive beans, buy cans, nitrogen, O2 absorbers, etc, put in the labor, then have to roast the beans yourself, etc?
Old 02-21-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
The Costco #10 cans of ground coffee generally have expiration dates about a year & a half out. Some people may not like it, but I do. I go through about a can a month and keep 14 - 18 cans on the shelf at all times. I have had some right at the expiration date and it tastes fine to me (I expect you could probably go several months past expiration before you would even notice).

Unless you want more than a year & a half supply, why would you buy more expensive beans, buy cans, nitrogen, O2 absorbers, etc, put in the labor, then have to roast the beans yourself, etc?
Costco actually sells the green beans in a can at $4/lb. Wonder what the expire is on those? Reviews are mixed.

Anyone want to split a case of cans?

My plans were to can up a coffee I like like Nicaragua Isabella or kona.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uparmor View Post
Costco actually sells the green beans in a can at $4/lb. Wonder what the expire is on those? Reviews are mixed.

Anyone want to split a case of cans?

My plans were to can up a coffee I like like Nicaragua Isabella or kona.
I have bought whole bean coffee that I really liked and packaged it in #10 cans with O2 absorbers (before our helpful government prevented the LDS Cannery from loaning out their can sealer). It worked well and kept well, the beans were still oily when I opened them over a year later.

It's simply a matter of economics - doing it that way was twice the price (and more labor) than simply buying the Costco ground coffee already sealed in a #10 can.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
I have bought whole bean coffee that I really liked and packaged it in #10 cans with O2 absorbers (before our helpful government prevented the LDS Cannery from loaning out their can sealer). It worked well and kept well, the beans were still oily when I opened them over a year later.

It's simply a matter of economics - doing it that way was twice the price (and more labor) than simply buying the Costco ground coffee already sealed in a #10 can.
As a person who LOVES coffee I would rather drink $50/lb coffee I canned myself, that I enjoy drinking and like the taste, then one I got for FREE elsewhere that I didnt.

Nothing worse then drinking coffee with a bad taste or not to the liking. If I buy a can of coffee I dont like it either gets tossed or returned. Most I return. Very few coffees meet my expectations for consumption. I just do not like the after taste or bitterness. I do not like "earthy, nutty, chocolaty, burnt)

The few I have liked:

JBM (fresh roasted within 1 week) (not the grocery store blend crap)
Kona (same) (not the grocery store blend crap)
Nicaragua Isabella (impossible to find unless you fly there)

There are a couple others I have had and liked but I cannot remember their names. Its like a fine beer vs budlight.

By the way oil is a sign of old age in coffee or of being burnt.

Last edited by uparmor; 02-21-2017 at 11:15 AM..
Old 02-22-2017, 8:07 AM

Can you imagine.... SHTF, after a few weeks, no coffee to be found anywhere. Then, you break out your green beans and begin roasting, ahh, the smell.... Next thing you know, zombie hordes at your door!
Old 02-22-2017, 8:13 AM
Veteran Member

Long term coffee for my storage is freeze dried.
My day to day stuff is Wally World, Winco or Costco or whatever's on sale at Cash n Carry.
I'm not a sipper either. I've had a pot a day habit since I was a teen.

Coffee is black, hot and has a kick? I'm on it.

**fix bitter coffee with a little salt. Sweeten it with honey. Both good long term staples with lots of other uses.

Sent using 2 cans and a long string.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 02-22-2017, 3:39 PM

If you have never roasted green coffee beans it smells nothing like brewing coffee. More like burning leaves in your yard.

Also some of the flavor comes from the bean origin but most comes from the roasting so if you are particular about your coffee you better get practicing on your roasting technique.

My father in law is into it and spent a few hundred on a computer controlled roaster and all you do is set how long to roast. I can get OK results with that but when I tried in a cast iron pan, the results were poor. Temp control and rapid cooling are important to get good results.

Just saying if you store green beans to get the quality you are a custom to its important to develop the skills needed to get that quality from your green beans.