Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 06-10-2016, 8:35 PM

Default Any pig farmers here?

We grow most of our own meat on our farm. I think the most bang for the buck are pigs, meat chickens, egg layers and turkeys. All of the above will forage for bugs and greens to grow. I supplement their diets with fresh grains we get in bulk cheap. I can get a ton of all-feed (peas, barley, wheat) for $300. The pigs gain nearly 100lbs/month the first few months till about 300lbs then they slow a bit to 350 and slow more to 400lbs. After 400lbs they eat a lot and dont grow as fast.

The meat tastes much better then store bought. The turkeys have a taste unlike anything I have ever had. Even the meat chickens taste better. Our turkeys got between 50-60lbs (we had to wait till thanksgiving and christmas to butcher so they kept growing).

The animals grown like crazy on the fresh grain. The meat chickens got to 9lbs in 7 weeks. They were so big they could hardly walk but they had almost no fat on them. None of the animals have excess fat when fed the grain.

Our pigs are over 400lbs now so we need to butcher them. I think I am going to can up everything that isnt bacon or sausage or ham. Reduces freezer burn to zero.

Old 06-10-2016, 8:50 PM
Veteran Member

Default Any pig farmers here?

Not yet but thinking about it!

Only thing is, many of my neighbors have all raised it all & keep telling me it's not worth it...... Yes it's a better product raising at home, but $ per lb was just to high in their experience. End of the world, heck ya! But compared to the grocery store prices, they keep telling me they wouldn't do it again. So I'm on the fence ~
Old 06-10-2016, 9:11 PM
Not a Mod
CGN Contributor

Pigs are vile creatures, that taste really good.

You really can them? Most meat lockers wrap and freeze.

Good luck.
Old 06-10-2016, 9:20 PM

Cattle, goats and chickens. The goats flourish where the cows will starve.

We have a neighbor down the road that we trade beef for pork.

Chicken and eggs do taste much better.
Old 06-10-2016, 9:34 PM

Since you are that far down the rabbit hole you might like this guys channel on You Tube. He is a proper British butcher, worth your time to check it out

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs_...iqqFtVGd639Z0Q

ratled
Old 06-10-2016, 9:44 PM

I rase hair sheep American black belly's they are working out really well for me so far. Was going to get a steer but a member here turned me on to the sheep right now I have 8 ewes and one ram I sold my crop of lambs last week she took all of them.
Lambs are a lot easier to prose at home then a steer .
Mine are on pasture to keep feed cost down.
As far as caning it all would at least vacuum seal the best parts .

Last edited by 3006; 06-10-2016 at 9:47 PM..
Old 06-10-2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrice6 View Post
Not yet but thinking about it!

Only thing is, many of my neighbors have all raised it all & keep telling me it's not worth it...... Yes it's a better product raising at home, but $ per lb was just to high in their experience. End of the world, heck ya! But compared to the grocery store prices, they keep telling me they wouldn't do it again. So I'm on the fence ~
If you go over 300lbs I would agree its a diminishing return. But here is my cost to 300....

Piglets came from our sow so FREE for piglets.
Food when piglets is nothing.
Food from 8 weeks to 300 lbs was about 700lbs of grain for a cost of $95.00 for 2 pigs to get to 300ea. I can get 240lbs hanging from each and about 175lbs meat and trimmings. For a total of 350lbs meat for a cost of $95 dollars or .27c per pound on non-gmo organic grain fed pork. Those numbers are really rough and I could be off by 10% on everything. I never keep track of details but thats close. I might have given them a bit more food but thats close.

I also sprout barley and feed all my animals sprouted barley fodder. They love it and I think it keeps them all healthy. I use about 50lbs of barley for 10.00.

Last edited by uparmor; 06-10-2016 at 10:04 PM..
Old 06-10-2016, 10:08 PM

My daughter raised animals in 4-H here in suburban Orange County. Market weight for pigs is about 265 lbs. Market weight is all about the effeciency of feed in to meat out. Sounds like you should process all your animals a bit earlier.
Old 06-11-2016, 8:14 AM

Do you have any pictures of your barley sprouting setup?
Old 06-11-2016, 3:31 PM

Not to be too picky but your #’s are off, you haven’t calculated in feeding the mother and father. But with world food prices doing who knows what you are capable of producing a lot of quality food yourself, what’s that worth?
I have raised quite a few pigs in 4-H as a kid. They are super easy. IMO raised pork vs store bought is the biggest difference of all meats. You can get good beef, you really can’t get good quality pork with ought raising or buying from 4-H. I notice the biggest difference store bought vs raised W/pork.
I think if I had limited space my first picks would be chickens(or ducks) and rabbits. Then goats. Smaller to butcher/less meat off the hoof to store and easier to feed in SHTF.

We also butchered around 265lbs.
Old 06-11-2016, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalkid View Post
Not to be too picky but your #ís are off, you havenít calculated in feeding the mother and father. But with world food prices doing who knows what you are capable of producing a lot of quality food yourself, whatís that worth?
I have raised quite a few pigs in 4-H as a kid. They are super easy. IMO raised pork vs store bought is the biggest difference of all meats. You can get good beef, you really canít get good quality pork with ought raising or buying from 4-H. I notice the biggest difference store bought vs raised W/pork.
I think if I had limited space my first picks would be chickens(or ducks) and rabbits. Then goats. Smaller to butcher/less meat off the hoof to store and easier to feed in SHTF.

We also butchered around 265lbs.
We sold 9 of the 11 piglets for 125ea which will buy 4 years of pig food .
Old 06-11-2016, 8:04 PM
CGSSA Associate

You selling at all? I'm in Ventura. Willing to travel for a deal. PM me.
Old 06-12-2016, 7:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacksman View Post
You selling at all? I'm in Ventura. Willing to travel for a deal. PM me.
We are only butchering the one and its our meat for the year. Check craigs and your local newspaper.
Old 06-15-2016, 3:35 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Bacon!