Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 02-05-2009, 6:54 PM

Awesome tutorial, thanks.
Old 02-12-2009, 1:16 PM

great write up
Old 02-12-2009, 11:04 PM

Nice....I need to try this
Old 02-14-2009, 3:12 PM
CGSSA Director - C3 Leader & Regional Gun Show Booth Coordinator (LA/OC/IE)
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Great tutorial, nicely done.....

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable. George S. Patton
Old 02-16-2009, 3:05 PM

works for PMAGs too!
Old 03-01-2009, 4:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Bobbyblank, Thanks for taking the time to do this write up for other CG's. I was just thinking on how I was going to do this. Looks like I got this weeks project scheduled. Thanks again!!!

Faith- Family- Friends- Firearms... What else do you need???
Old 03-03-2009, 2:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Thank you for putting the time and effort into creating this post. It's appreciated!

WTB cheap/used AK-Ultimak & MFER.
Old 03-03-2009, 3:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by impactco View Post
A pop rivet by itself is NOT permanent. You can easily remove it in 30 seconds. Cover the rivet with JB Weld or equivalent for a safer solution.
Yes it is permanent.

If you need to use a cutting tool to remove it, it is permanent.

If you need to replace a part necessary for function, it is permanent.

Please stop spouting off untruths.
Old 03-03-2009, 3:49 PM
Vendor/Retailer

In other discussion here, Bwiese or hoffmang (I don't remember which) have stated that it is inadequate.

Check out our e-commerce site here:

www.ebrworks.com

Now serving you from Prescott, AZ
Old 03-03-2009, 4:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
In other discussion here, Bwiese or hoffmang (I don't remember which) have stated that it is inadequate.
Link?

What does covering a rivet with epoxy accomplish? It can still be drilled out with virtually the same effort.

A blanket statement as you stated above that a rivet is "NOT permanent" is just wrong.

-There is no definition of permanence in the PC.

-Un-defined terms in the PC are judged by their common, plain-english meaning.

-Anything can be done or undone with the right tools.

So "permanently modified" either doesn't exist at all, or there is a way to define it in an acceptable way.

If the magazine in question is taken by itself, this is what we have:

The magazine by itself, ie no drill factored into the equation, then a rivet in the magazine body would be impossible to remove.

or

The magazine by itself, ie no other magazine or magazine parts added into the equation, has a limiter epoxied or brazed onto the follower, then it would be impossible to return it to a functioning large capacity magazine.

Because there is no constructive possession for magazine parts, and no provision for "readily converted/etc" like the NFA has, we can only scrutinize the magazine in question BY ITSELF - as in the two examples above.
Old 03-03-2009, 6:34 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I PM'd Bwiese to ask him to jump in here with his current opinion on this. A few of his prior posts:

Quote:
I continue to assert that it's best to have something created such that any attempt to restore capacity will significantly damage the magazine.
Quote:
Show me where 'intent' is mentioned or remotely inferrable in relation to hicap mag laws. (BTW, many/most gun prohibitions are triggered by "simple possession".) One could argue a mag made from hicap parts is not really a lowcap if some reasonable standard of permanence was not achieved.

I myself would not own a riveted 10/20 or 10/30. You may have more tolerance for risk than I do. Yes, it could be a defendable case using some material in depositions from Hunt case. But the word in the law used is 'permanent' and I can see a bad judge in a busy courtroom going sideways when he sees a 2cent pop rivet preventing full follower travel.
And if for some reason the 10/30 were found to be "not a lowcap" that could trigger AW status on a fixed mag build.

For the life of me I can't see why people want 10/20s or 10/30s and fake silencers: "I'm so desperate to be cool I need to make my gun look so close to an illegal configuration that, should I have to interact w/cops, they have to take extra time for me to really really explain it and hope my verbal agility is retained while I'm nervous."
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPglee1 View Post
"IF they are truly PERMANENT as the law requires, there will be no way to remove followers, or open the magazine in anyway. Keep this in mind when making your decision."

There's a man who understands it.

Seems like JPGlee1 and rssslvr are sometimes the only ones that get it.

If you have a large-looking mag that supposedly holds only 10rds but you can take it apart and increase capacity without destroying the magazine it's well-nigh illegal on its own, and can trigger an AW violation in a fixed mag rifle!

Many out of state vendors/mfgrs do not friggin' understand this.
Quote:
There is no specified degree of permanence in reducing mag capacity to 10rds or less. But the law does use the term 'permanent'.

To me, to be safe, the modification should be so stout that the mag is well-nigh destroyed if it attempts were made to reconvert it to back to a higher-capacity magazine.

Remember, you not only have the permanence issue with the creation of a hicap mag, this mag must be guaranteed to be 10rds or less to also not trigger the 2nd definition of assault weapon. If you don't do this right it could be a double whammy.

I am not fond of homebrew 10-round restrictions. Someone will likely get in trouble.

So far the *only* restricted looks-like-30/works-like-10 mags I would trust are the modded ones done by Calgunners JPGlee1 and rssslvr. These guys understand the law & consequences and it'd take a nuclear weapon to get these 10 rounders apart.

Even some mfgrs of 10rd mags for special non-AR applications (who shall remain nameless) had issues understanding this, but I hope they are clear now after I talked to them.

Check out our e-commerce site here:

www.ebrworks.com

Now serving you from Prescott, AZ

Last edited by EBR Works; 03-03-2009 at 6:39 PM..
Old 03-04-2009, 12:05 AM
Veteran Member

I know Bwiese is an upstanding member of the board and well aware of the laws, but IMHO, the opinions that he posts here are overly cautious. And that is just what they are - opinions. There is little legal precedence for what he (or I for that matter) propose as the correct interpretation of the law.

But again, look at the wording of his posts. "To be safe..." etc. There is a lot of CYA in Bwiese's posts.

The closest I think anyone has come has been the "Attempted Rulemaking" link by hoffmang in the thread you previously linked.

Quote:
(3)
A firearm is not readily modifiable to receive a detachable magazine if, for
example:
(A)
it does not have a magazine well;
(B)
the magazine is fixed to the receiver by a continuous ribbon of welding around the perimeter of the magazine well, or by multiple ribbons of welding that are each at least one half inch in length;
(C)
the magazine is fixed to the receiver with a rivet (or other irreversible locking device) that is driven through the magazine well and fixed in place with epoxy; or
(D)
the modification requires disassembly of the action.
But nothing about owning guns in CA is "safe"

Sure you can mitigate the risks, but in the end, all have our butts on the line one way or another.

I am still confident in my reasoning that a riveted magazine body that would require drilling, or a modified follower that would need replacing or cutting, is permanent.
Old 03-04-2009, 3:02 PM
No, I am not a Moderator!

All of the right people agree that a rivet and epoxy is certainly permanent enough based on the failed rulemaking quoted above.

I and quite a few of the right people - though I haven't polled everyone - think that a rivet is enough as long as the magazine is truly 10 round or less capacity only.

However, some lock tite on your rivet is basically the same since you're drilling the rivet out either way.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 03-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Calguns Addict

A Matte Black Paint Touch-Up Pen would work nice as well. Offers a better finish than a sharpie. I have found them to be a necessity when owning an AR.
Old 03-05-2009, 5:50 PM

I hope the pop rivets on my friends private plane are permanent

Quote:
A pop rivet by itself is NOT permanent. You can easily remove it in 30 seconds. Cover the rivet with JB Weld or equivalent for a safer solution.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Quote:
(3)
A firearm is not readily modifiable to receive a detachable magazine if, for
example:
(A) it does not have a magazine well;
(B) the magazine is fixed to the receiver by a continuous ribbon of welding around the perimeter of the magazine well, or by multiple ribbons of welding that are each at least one half inch in length;
(C) the magazine is fixed to the receiver with a rivet (or other irreversible locking device) that is driven through the magazine well and fixed in place with epoxy; or
(D) the modification requires disassembly of the action.
All of the right people agree that a rivet and epoxy is certainly permanent enough based on the failed rulemaking quoted above.
Reading the failed rulemaking as saying that the epoxy should be over the rivet is possibly misinterpreting the (poorly written and clunky) text. Look at the context. (B) discusses welding the magazine to the magazine well. (C) could be interpreted as discussing riveting the mag to the well with an additional epoxying of the mag inside the well (an epoxy version of the ribbon of welding with rivet backup). It might be read that it is the magazine that is "fixed in place with epoxy" not the rivet.

The rivet alone is permanent enough to create a 10-round mag IMO as you cannot remove it by hand and it won't shake loose or rot away. Once tools enter the equation, NOTHING is impervious to change.

"Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
, in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785

Last edited by Fate; 03-15-2009 at 1:09 PM..
Old 03-15-2009, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fate View Post
The rivet alone is permanent enough to create a 10-round mag IMO as you cannot remove it by hand and it won't shake loose or rot away. Once tools enter the equation, NOTHING is impervious to change.
I wanted to be clear that I personally feel that just a rivet is plenty for permanence. However, for those more nervous than I, a rivet and some locktite is 110% safe.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 03-16-2009, 1:04 PM

I agree. I don't understand how locktite will help with being more permanent though? If someone wanted to, they would just drill out the rivet the same way wether it had locktite or not. I also dont see why there would be a need to epoxy the floor plate since you cannot remove anything with the rivet blocking the spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
I wanted to be clear that I personally feel that just a rivet is plenty for permanence. However, for those more nervous than I, a rivet and some locktite is 110% safe.

-Gene
Old 03-16-2009, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arteeel View Post
I agree. I don't understand how locktite will help with being more permanent though? If someone wanted to, they would just drill out the rivet the same way wether it had locktite or not. I also dont see why there would be a need to epoxy the floor plate since you cannot remove anything with the rivet blocking the spring.
The locktite on the rivet isn't about reality - it's about conforming with a legal position DOJ took. At no point do I think a riveted magazine to hold the mag to 10 rounds needs anything special done to its floor plate.

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 03-22-2009, 1:44 PM

OP- I love the fact you've got a glass of red wine in the background.
Old 03-24-2009, 5:21 PM

Where do you gentlemen pick up your rebuild kits from? Ar-15 and Mini 14 ?
Old 03-26-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeofahero View Post
OP- I love the fact you've got a glass of red wine in the background.
Thats how I roll, LOL. Ran out of budweiser. Needed to supplement with my favorite wine. 2005 Costal Estates cabernet, $10. My favorite by far.

Nothing better then enjoying a nice glass of wine while building the weapon of your dreams

Last edited by bobbyblank; 04-01-2009 at 11:56 PM..
Old 03-26-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scsheriff View Post
Where do you gentlemen pick up your rebuild kits from? Ar-15 and Mini 14 ?

I got mine from www.calegalmags.com. I think they were around $14-16, teflon coated. You can also try 44mag.com
Old 03-30-2009, 5:49 PM

Where are these $20-$30 factory 10/30 and 10/20 mags at? What system do they use for permanence?
Old 03-30-2009, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegeX View Post
Where are these $20-$30 factory 10/30 and 10/20 mags at? What system do they use for permanence?
Glad you asked. Just went in the garage and inspected one of my C Products 10/30 magazines.

The floorplate came off without issues...it's not welded, epoxied, or otherwise fixed in place.

There is a threaded stud in both the 'front' and 'back' of the magazine which inhibits spring and follower movement. It looks like they drill a hole, stick a bolt of predetermined length in, cut it off, and spot-weld it for permanence.

In brief, it accomplishes exactly what a riveted magazine does in exactly the same manner. It would be just as easy or difficult to convert these factory 10/30s as a homemade one. FWIW, they're also not marked in any way from the factory as a 10/30.
Old 03-31-2009, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegeX View Post
There are ones that have just a tab stamped in the side of the mag as well. The floor plate comes off but you cant remove the follower because it hits the tab.
I am a physician. I am held to being "the expert" in medicine. I can't fall back on feigned ignorance and the statement that the patient should have known better than I. When an officer "can't be expected to know the entire penal code", but a citizen is held to "ignorance is no excuse", this is equivalent to ME being able to sue my patient for my own malpractice-after all, the patient should have known better, right?
Old 04-03-2009, 9:17 PM

Has anyone tried this method with the aluminum HK G3/HK 91 mags? It looks like it should work the same way but I was curious if anyone had good or bad results with this method.
Old 04-05-2009, 8:45 PM

Default Great post

Posts like this one are why people like me join your forum. Just the other day I was wondering what the hell I was going to do with 8 magazines I had in my garage from my military days. Now they are going to get dusted off and put to good use.

Thanks for the tutorial OP.
Old 04-05-2009, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh4mc View Post
Posts like this one are why people like me join your forum. Just the other day I was wondering what the hell I was going to do with 8 magazines I had in my garage from my military days. Now they are going to get dusted off and put to good use.

Thanks for the tutorial OP.

hold on there buddy! Thanks for the compliment on my thread, but if you owned those mags before 2000, you can use them without making them 10/20's or 10/30's. If you plan on building a featureless rifle that is. If you want to do a build with pistol grips, flash hiders, ext, i would suggest you buy a few rebuild kits for $14 bucks and rivit those mags instead of hacking up your Pre ban magazines! If you have owned them pre 2000, those should be like gold to ya .
Old 04-06-2009, 9:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyblank View Post
hold on there buddy! Thanks for the compliment on my thread, but if you owned those mags before 2000, you can use them without making them 10/20's or 10/30's. If you plan on building a featureless rifle that is. If you want to do a build with pistol grips, flash hiders, ext, i would suggest you buy a few rebuild kits for $14 bucks and rivit those mags instead of hacking up your Pre ban magazines! If you have owned them pre 2000, those should be like gold to ya .

Problem is that I have no proof of owning them pre ban because they were not purchased but "acquired" while I served.

If I do not plan on building a featureless rifle then they are useless, correct?
Old 04-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Calguns Addict

You don't need proof.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh4mc View Post
Problem is that I have no proof of owning them pre ban because they were not purchased but "acquired" while I served.

If I do not plan on building a featureless rifle then they are useless, correct?
It is up to them to prove that you didnt own them prior to the ban, not yours.
Old 04-12-2009, 4:32 PM

Did this on my m14 mags... messed it up the first attempt so the finished product wasn't pretty but it still works. Thanks for this!
Old 04-20-2009, 12:47 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: San Diego, National Socialist Democratic Republic of Facistfornia

I used the pop rivit idea and drilled the holes @.140 for an 1/8" rivet.When installing the rivet, just before it got to full closure, I opened the rivet tool and broke off the rivet stem. If you try to drill it out it spins . {Total PITA .}
I also used a rivet in the front and back of the mag.
And if You want to open it up to hold the rivets so they don't spin ...meet Mr. J-B welded bottom plate.

-Abraham Lincoln,1862
=======================================
"Revolution against tyranny is the most sacred of duties"
- Benjamin Franklin -1775
=======================================
Old 04-23-2009, 9:32 AM

Anyone have measurements for rivet placement for a 30 rnd mag?
Old 04-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakmon View Post
Anyone have measurements for rivet placement for a 30 rnd mag?
+1

I would also like to know if anyone has the measurements for a 30 rd mag body, so I can alter a rebuild kit.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:49 AM

I'll get a box of ammo at lunch and post my measurements. I'm modding some C-products 30 rnd mags while I'm still in AZ on business.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:58 AM

You can just use something to measure to the bottom of the follower with 10rds loaded in the mag like i did. I just used a straw. Just put in 10 rounds with the follower installed without the spring or floorplate, then flip upside down and measure through the floorplate hole. Mark it, then transfer the mark to the mag.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:10 PM

I'm not at home right now, so I was hoping for some numbers I could work with. After lunch I'll have a box of ammo to do just that
Old 04-28-2009, 2:50 AM

Okay, for the sake of permanence, how about this:

Instead of just a rivet in a single hole, I rivet a strip of 1/4" polypropylene sheet the length of the inside gap (where the straw in the picture is). Maybe one on front, one on back. I could even Gorilla glue it as well. There is no way one could argue that it isn't permanent at that point. I know that would mean extra steps but it would settle any doubt, right?