Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:09 PM

Default Aimpoint or EOTECH?

Which one will you put in your rifle??? Why?

Spare some...
Old 01-19-2009, 10:12 PM

From what I believe aimpoints have a fixed reticule, and I know that eotechs don't because I own one. I am starting to dislike my eotech because of this, I would go aimpoint.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:23 PM

I have a T-1 w/ QD larue mount and I really like it. That's all I have to say about that.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:24 PM

Eotech. I love mine. The best thing is that you have the small dot surrounded by a larger circle. You place the dot on the target and squeeze. But, in a CQB situation you can use the larger circle. As long as you put the larger circle center of mass, you will get hits. Anyone i've let shoot my rifle with the Eotech says that it's really easy to use.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:41 PM

i have a aimpoint ML2 and its very nice but its 4 MOA opposed to Eotech being 1 MOA. i hear people having problems with Eotechs being canted when mounted, not a huge issue but could be annoying. aimpoint has a longer battery life. some eotechs turn off when shooting if your using alkaline batteries due to the weight and the inertia causing the batteries to lose contact. i hear this could be solved by using lithium batteries but the down side is you dont get the low battery warning using lithiums. you have to get a mount if you using an aimpoint which is an extra $100 easy. i'll let you know next time im heading out to angeles and you can try my shoot my stag 2HT with aimpoint and judge for yourself.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:53 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAZeZk6OnCw
Old 01-19-2009, 11:16 PM

What's the application? For me, an EOTech 557 w/ a 3X flip-mount magnifier "works" better for the type of shooting I do (practical rifle competition from 5-300 yards).

The EOTech has a 1 MOA dot which makes it much more accurate as the distances increase but w/ the "ghost ring" it works well up close. W/ a 3X magnifier behind my EOTech I can shoot out the center of 4" clay birds at 200yds all day long.

The smallest Aimpoint dot is 2 MOA which means you're talking "minute of barn door" at 3-400 yds. NOT very accurate.

I love my EOTech for its function - for me it is both much faster close-in and more accurate at distance than an Aimpoint.

That being said, EOTechs eat batteries compared to Aimpoints. Also, I've had my EOTech 512 kill its battery just sitting in the safe. I have a 557 now which is doing much better on batteries (make sure you use Lithiums) but still terrible compared to an Aimpoint.

So for me in 3-gun competitions, the EOTech rocks. But I always have spare batteries with me and I won't die if batteries quit. If I was going to the sandbox for a year or if I wanted to put a gun under the house for SHTF I'd want an Aimpoint. They are definitely built hella-stout and the battery life is superb. My SHTF gun has an Aimpoint Comp M4s on it.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeach View Post
From what I believe aimpoints have a fixed reticule, and I know that eotechs don't because I own one. I am starting to dislike my eotech because of this, I would go aimpoint.
What do you mean by "fixed" reticle. The dot in the aimpoint moves if you move the position of your head, just like an eotech. That's actually the point. People want to be able to move the head around and still be able to hit target that the dot is on without having a perfect cheekweld like a traditional scope. But as long as the red-dot zeroed then it doesn't matter. Also, the dot in the eotech is 1moa which is smaller than the 2moa of the aimpoint. Just trying to give some info. Personally, I'm trying to find variable low power scope for my AR.

Last edited by Teletiger7; 01-19-2009 at 11:19 PM..
Old 01-19-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeach View Post
How that guys thinks a 2 MOA dot is "more precise" than a 1 MOA dot is anyone's guess. You know what they say about opinions and arseholes....
Old 01-19-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletiger7 View Post
Personally, I'm trying to find variable low power scope for my AR.
I'm looking pretty hard at the Burris XTR 1x-4x. Nice reticle w/ BDC and variable power. Current model illumination washes out in bright sun though there's a rumor that a new model w/ better illumination is due out soon.

The Meopta K-Dot (1x-4x variable) is also quite popular.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:03 AM

at 400 yards i can hit a 2x2ft target consistently with my ML2 which is 4moa.
Old 01-20-2009, 8:56 AM

In classes, I've used my EOTech 511 to make hits from three to just over 200 yards. I liked it best for close engagements. I'd put this on a home-defense rifle. If I was expecting most targets to be past 100 but with the possibility of close shots, I'd go to my Millett DMS-1 (1-4X) as it can be used with both eyes open though it's not quite as quick to acquire close targets as the EOTech.
Old 01-20-2009, 9:51 AM
Veteran Member

I have both and like the Eotech much better.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grywlfbg View Post
What's the application? For me, an EOTech 557 w/ a 3X flip-mount magnifier "works" better for the type of shooting I do (practical rifle competition from 5-300 yards).

The EOTech has a 1 MOA dot which makes it much more accurate as the distances increase but w/ the "ghost ring" it works well up close. W/ a 3X magnifier behind my EOTech I can shoot out the center of 4" clay birds at 200yds all day long.

The smallest Aimpoint dot is 2 MOA which means you're talking "minute of barn door" at 3-400 yds. NOT very accurate.

I love my EOTech for its function - for me it is both much faster close-in and more accurate at distance than an Aimpoint.

That being said, EOTechs eat batteries compared to Aimpoints. Also, I've had my EOTech 512 kill its battery just sitting in the safe. I have a 557 now which is doing much better on batteries (make sure you use Lithiums) but still terrible compared to an Aimpoint.

So for me in 3-gun competitions, the EOTech rocks. But I always have spare batteries with me and I won't die if batteries quit. If I was going to the sandbox for a year or if I wanted to put a gun under the house for SHTF I'd want an Aimpoint. They are definitely built hella-stout and the battery life is superb. My SHTF gun has an Aimpoint Comp M4s on it.
Thats a big +1. I love the reticle and 1 moa of the EOTech with a magnifier its awesome. However, were I in the sandbox I would choose an Aimpoint for its durability and reliable battery life. Can't go wrong either way though.

If you run a business or live in the rural San Joaquin Valley and do not have access to DSL or Comcast we can get you a highspeed Microwave Broadband connection. We cover Modesto down to Bakersfield and offer symmetrical connections up to 100Mbps. www.unwiredbb.com
Old 01-20-2009, 1:21 PM
Veteran Member

Can we please sticky this topic? It's brought up constantly and it feels like we keep going over and over and over the same stuff every time.
Old 01-20-2009, 1:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I think you are going to find a lot of preference either way with how people like the reticle over the other. However in field durability, battery life, and weight, the aimpoint is superior.

The 2 MOA site is pretty damn useful on the Aimpoint. The concept of the red dot scope is more for quick acquisition with both eyes open. Yet at that size, it does good work out even past 400 meters. Some may argue that a simple 1 MOA dot may get more tricky to acquire site picture when on the move. YMMV. Neither of these sights can do "everything".

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Old 01-20-2009, 1:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
Can we please sticky this topic? It's brought up constantly and it feels like we keep going over and over and over the same stuff every time.
I think with a lot of topics covered here, there would be a whole page of stickies.

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Old 01-20-2009, 3:56 PM
Veteran Member

Well then, I'll just paste what I usually write on this topic....

We need to sticky this topic at some point as it is about the most common optic debate by far. For the record, here's my take:

I used the old Aimpoint 1000 back in the day, mounted on top of the carry handle of my CAR-15. Great tool at the time. Later around 2000 I used the CompML, which was a nice update on a proven optic. For close-in work, red dot sights just own, especially if you train specifically with them.

The first sign of trouble was engaging 200-400m targets. The 4MOA dot was just too large and often obscured the target which equated to a wider pattern. I did tests where I went back to iron sights and the same engagements resulted in much better performance, however I was much slower acquiring my sights up close and therefore slower engaging. That's the beauty of an RDS - fast acquisition of the sight at close range.

At one point around 2001 I tried an EOTech on recommendation from a buddy who shoots 50,000+ rounds a year. Not only was my sight acquisition as fast, if not faster, but I found that for those 200-400m engagements I could be VERY precise. As a test, I taped a cigarette vertically to a target stand. Starting at 10m I tried hitting it with the Aimpoint CompML and then the EOTech, moving out to 35m each time the cigarette was hit. The only hits I got were using the EOTech. So I was sold on it.

While in Iraq I found the EOTech excellent for a variety of roles, but was particularly fond of its holographic nature which didn't require a consistent or proper cheeck/stockweld. I was able to shoot from some weird position and make hits as long as I could see the reticle. However, the biggest problem I was having with it was the battery life. Switching to the AA model was a big help, but still it didn't have the battery life I had hoped for, so I couldn't just leave it on. On top of that, since I had to constantly turn it on and off I found it awkward where the buttons were placed, the sequence required to turn them off as well as the lack of a "memory" for the brightness setting. Rolling out of the wire it took a few seconds to get my EOTech up while an Aimpoint would have taken about a second at most.

Later, another problem started showing up in my EOTechs: a few times they shut-off during mid-recoil. Very VERY bad, though it made for good BUIS training

Last year I picked up an Aimpoint Micro T-1 and everything changed for me. I still LOVE my EOTechs, but I have lost faith in them (which really sucks). The T-1 is lighter and more compact than the EOTech and it has a much smaller dot. I did the cigarette drill again and the Micro did just fine but it has the added benefit of incredible battery life. I just leave it on, that's all.

Now if I could have a T-1 with an EOTech 65/1 reticle I'd be a happy, happy man.
Old 01-21-2009, 4:26 PM

Had the same dilemma when trying to purchase a red dot sight. I figured in a worst case scenario you wouldn't be able to acquire batteries very easily. Aimpoints battery life is just top notch. It's stated some where around 10,000 hours. You can leave it on for over a year pretty much.
Old 01-21-2009, 4:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I once said EOTech, but not again... too many problems.

Aimpoint.

Google Map of OLL Dealers

List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.
Old 01-21-2009, 5:00 PM
Calguns Addict

I've used an EOtech and didn't like it.. I've been running with Aimpoint for 6 years now..
Old 01-21-2009, 8:23 PM

I've heard so many different opinions on this in the little time I've been a born-again shooter (I've been out for about 11 years -- moving to Cali was a traumatic experience for me). Anyway, my plan is to start with the EOTech. That way if I don't like it, I probably won't be disappointed with the Aimpoint alternative.
Old 01-22-2009, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvtryan View Post
Which one will you put in your rifle??? Why?
I went with Aimpoint seven years ago and will purchase two more (undecided on models) for my other carbines. The EOTechs are nice, but they're just not for me. The reticule brightness adjustments seem awkward and out of the four specimens that I've seen, three of them had to be sent back for intermittent "on/off" and cant issues. However, the three that were repaired are running like champs.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:11 PM

I have 5 Eotechs that are used regularly and 1 Aimpoint that sits on a quick detachable mount inside my safe, hoping to be used one day when the SHTF...or I win the lotto, whichever comes first. The A65 reticle is a step above a red dot.

Clod

Last edited by Clodbuster; 01-22-2009 at 10:14 PM..
Old 01-22-2009, 10:24 PM

^^^^^

Which Aimpoint do you have collecting dust?
Old 01-22-2009, 11:12 PM

CompML2.

It's not a bad scope. I just prefer the A65 reticle, it's faster for me to acquire the target. In addition to range use and tactical matches, I use the Eotech alot to play Airsoft, and those "critters" I shoot at don't like to stand still. If Aimpoint slaps a big circle around their dot, I'll pick it up.

The newer Eotechs have pretty good battery life with the CR123 batteries. There are "AA" lithium batteries you can use in the other models as well if battery life is a big problem. Cost of batteries is like 3 or 4 rounds of ammo.

Clod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_KT View Post
^^^^^

Which Aimpoint do you have collecting dust?
Old 01-27-2009, 9:37 PM

I'm brand new to ARs and to this forum, so please bear with me if this isn't the smartest question.

I have a S&W MP-15 w/ quad rails and flip-up Troy sights, front and back, mounted to the flat top. Will either of the sights discussed here (Aimpoint or EOTech) allow me to use these irons without having to remove the electronic sight? I'd like to achieve accuracy out to 300m yet also rely on the red dot for CQB. Thanks!
Old 01-27-2009, 9:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss View Post
I'm brand new to ARs and to this forum, so please bear with me if this isn't the smartest question.

I have a S&W MP-15 w/ quad rails and flip-up Troy sights, front and back, mounted to the flat top. Will either of the sights discussed here (Aimpoint or EOTech) allow me to use these irons without having to remove the electronic sight? I'd like to achieve accuracy out to 300m yet also rely on the red dot for CQB. Thanks!
Yes
Old 01-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member

So, if I understand what's been said, if Aimpoint were to put a 'doughnut of death' reticle in it's optics, that would be the end-all-and-be-all of the price range?
Old 01-28-2009, 2:03 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce3 View Post
at 400 yards i can hit a 2x2ft target consistently with my ML2 which is 4moa.
Sounds to me like that is barn door accuracy. We shoot paper up close and 10 to 12 inch plates at 350 to 375 yards in a match under time.

I owned an Aimpoint it was ok but didn't do much for me. I shot a Eotech and I liked it much better.

I use my stuff for 3 gun matches, I'm not worried about the end of the world or how cool it looks my stuff is for shooting fast with 3 gun accuracy requirements. No fluff. So I use a variable 1 to 4. Doesn't look cool but works well.

My stuff shoots fast I don't.

When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.
Old 01-28-2009, 4:45 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

2 aimpoints and a clone point (I have it on a 22lr upper for machine gun use).

I will buy an EOtech one day but I want one of those brown 552 models and cant afford it right now.

HMM-161 Westpac 1994
Old 01-29-2009, 11:49 AM

I'd get a baker's dozen of those donuts of death.

Clod

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Just Happened? View Post
So, if I understand what's been said, if Aimpoint were to put a 'doughnut of death' reticle in it's optics, that would be the end-all-and-be-all of the price range?