Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-15-2009, 9:53 AM
Agro's Avatar
Agro Agro is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 805
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default Purchasing AR-15 lower in San Diego

I know from the thread "Local OLL Dealers with Location and Google Map" I know there are a few in San Diego area.

I want to build my AR-15 from an OLL, get the LPK, stock and then hopefully by then I will have decided what I want to do about an upper.

Lower receivers seem to go really fast on here. If I see one I want to be able to buy it immediately. I want to know that I have a local FLL I can ship to (maybe I'll get lucky and the seller will be in San Diego, or OC (I can meet him)). So what I am wondering is... Out of the known SD FLL what places do people recommend? Do I need to go there first and talk to them and get it cleared with them? How would this work?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-15-2009, 9:59 AM
Alaric's Avatar
Alaric Alaric is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Midcoast Maine
Posts: 3,210
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

So Cal Gun in Kearny Mesa had top-notch Kaiser Defense OLL's in stock last week when I was there. They run about 189 IIRC. Kaiser is a local SD company with a great reputation, I recommend them.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-15-2009, 10:00 AM
viras's Avatar
viras viras is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Ramon, CA
Posts: 1,852
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Royal Loan on El Cajon Blvd in Northpark regularly stocked Kaiser Defense lowers, as well as Stags BEFORE THE ELECTION.

Discount Gun Mart also regularly stocked Stag lowers BEFORE THE ELECTION.

These would be the first places I'd check out if I were in your situation - if they still have any in stock for sale, they would be displayed in their display cases. It would be better and cheaper to buy one from a local dealer than transferring one and dealing with transfer fees.

However, if you can't find one at the above retailers and you're still looking to do a transfer, Unique Pawn Broker's (*talk to Andy) on University will transfer it for you. If you're closer to North County, Gussler's of Santee will do the transfer for you. They don't have a website, so here's their info:

Gussler's
9334 Dempster Dr
Santee, CA 92071

Phone# 619-258-2543

Good Luck!

Last edited by viras; 01-15-2009 at 10:02 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-15-2009, 10:02 AM
Agro's Avatar
Agro Agro is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 805
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal_libertarian View Post
So Cal Gun in Kearny Mesa had top-notch Kaiser Defense OLL's in stock last week when I was there. They run about 189 IIRC. Kaiser is a local SD company with a great reputation, I recommend them.
$189 is very fair. I see people selling stag or lwrc lowers for like $200 or so on here. I've read for the most part the lowers are just the same, so no big deal. But a few threads talk about certain lowers not matching well with certain uppers. I'll read a bit on the Kaiser Defense OLL. THank you
BTW So Cal Gun is close to me, as i am in Mission VAlley.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-15-2009, 10:04 AM
tmuller's Avatar
tmuller tmuller is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mendocino cnty
Posts: 1,592
iTrader: 33 / 100%
Default

I believe SoCal guns on Convoy has some Kaiser Defense lowers in stock, may want to check them out. Otherwise Don Gussler is the best for receiving firearms in SD from out of state or somewhere outsideof driving distance.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-15-2009, 10:04 AM
Agro's Avatar
Agro Agro is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 805
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viras View Post
Royal Loan on El Cajon Blvd in Northpark regularly stocked Kaiser Defense lowers, as well as Stags BEFORE THE ELECTION.

Discount Gun Mart also regularly stocked Stag lowers BEFORE THE ELECTION.

These would be the first places I'd check out if I were in your situation - if they still have any in stock for sale, they would be displayed in their display cases. It would be better and cheaper to buy one from a local dealer than transferring one and dealing with transfer fees.

However, if you can't find one at the above retailers and you're still looking to do a transfer, Unique Pawn Broker's (*talk to Andy) on University will transfer it for you. If you're closer to North County, Gussler's of Santee will do the transfer for you. They don't have a website, so here's their info:

Gussler's
9334 Dempster Dr
Santee, CA 92071

Phone# 619-258-2543

Good Luck!

Awesome info buddy. When I originally went to Discount Gun, I didn't really know anything. I was under the impression I needed to buy as a whole, but now I am keen on the idea of assembly. I might stop in and see what they have in stock. They are just right up the street... Thanks again for the info.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Agro's Avatar
Agro Agro is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 805
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmuller View Post
I believe SoCal guns on Convoy has some Kaiser Defense lowers in stock, may want to check them out. Otherwise Don Gussler is the best for receiving firearms in SD from out of state or somewhere outsideof driving distance.
If the out of state is out of the picture, receiving an in-state lower is any different? If someone in lets sat northern CA or even up in like Burbank area has one and is willing to ship (on my dime) then is it simply the transfer fee?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Alaric's Avatar
Alaric Alaric is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Midcoast Maine
Posts: 3,210
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG View Post
$189 is very fair. I see people selling stag or lwrc lowers for like $200 or so on here. I've read for the most part the lowers are just the same, so no big deal. But a few threads talk about certain lowers not matching well with certain uppers. I'll read a bit on the Kaiser Defense OLL. THank you
BTW So Cal Gun is close to me, as i am in Mission VAlley.
I should add that So Cal Gun also makes you buy a BB with your OLL. So if you don't want the BB configuration you should look around for a different dealer.

Good luck in your purchase.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-15-2009, 10:08 AM
tmuller's Avatar
tmuller tmuller is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mendocino cnty
Posts: 1,592
iTrader: 33 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG
If the out of state is out of the picture, receiving an in-state lower is any different? If someone in lets sat northern CA or even up in like Burbank area has one and is willing to ship (on my dime) then is it simply the transfer fee?
You can buy a lower from out of state or NorCal but you will pay DROS + transfer fee. Gussler is $60 total last I checked. I would go to SoCal if you're going to go BB 1st they have the best service in town...ask for Mike.

I don't have any affiliation with them BTW.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-15-2009, 10:09 AM
Agro's Avatar
Agro Agro is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 805
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal_libertarian View Post
I should add that So Cal Gun also makes you buy a BB with your OLL. So if you don't want the BB configuration you should look around for a different dealer.

Good luck in your purchase.
I planned on buying a BB anyhow, so this is okay.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-15-2009, 10:39 AM
viras's Avatar
viras viras is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Ramon, CA
Posts: 1,852
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

This website may also be a useful resource for all San Diego Calgunner's.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Agro's Avatar
Agro Agro is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 805
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

I saw posts from within the last few days where people said they bought the Kaiser Defense lower from Southern California Gun in Kearny Mesa for $189, but I go there today and it is $239 and they tell me that the price was raised this morning. While I guess that isn't a horrible deal, since it is a good product and if you went anywhere else and bought a Stag or LWRC shipped in, you would have to pay them to receive it (what $30-$75). Still, it upset me and I had to walk on it for now. Too bad, cash in pocket, ready to do the deed.

* EDIT * : Called Royal Loan. none in stock, 30 days or so waiting period. $209 Fred says, put a deposit down, yadda yadda.

Last edited by Agro; 01-15-2009 at 12:34 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-15-2009, 1:35 PM
tmuller's Avatar
tmuller tmuller is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mendocino cnty
Posts: 1,592
iTrader: 33 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG
I saw posts from within the last few days where people said they bought the Kaiser Defense lower from Southern California Gun in Kearny Mesa for $189, but I go there today and it is $239 and they tell me that the price was raised this morning.
That SUX!! 30 days isn't bad and royal is a great place...good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-15-2009, 1:44 PM
Jicko Jicko is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 8,806
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

Order online and send them to Don Gussler.

You have to research where you can find them online, but they DO exist.

I just bought a $600 ar15 lower receiver, so $239 isn't too bad.... if it is something that you REALLY want....
__________________
- LL
NRA Certified Firearm Instructor


New to Calguns, check here first:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=56818
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-15-2009, 3:12 PM
wsh3's Avatar
wsh3 wsh3 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 24
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

I just bought a territorial arms stripped lower from discount... Three days ago they had three brands and a few boxes of lowers in stock. I can't remember the other brands but the one I got was $179 I think...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-15-2009, 3:37 PM
Born2Lose's Avatar
Born2Lose Born2Lose is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Carlos (San Diego)
Posts: 499
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I used Gusslers for my Stag-15 and Kel-tec and Unique Pawnbrokers for my Saiga transfer. Gusslers is best for me considering i live 5 minutes from him.
__________________
Born2Lose
1904
PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER

Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-15-2009, 4:58 PM
skale240 skale240 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 479
iTrader: 38 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG View Post
I saw posts from within the last few days where people said they bought the Kaiser Defense lower from Southern California Gun in Kearny Mesa for $189, but I go there today and it is $239 and they tell me that the price was raised this morning. While I guess that isn't a horrible deal, since it is a good product and if you went anywhere else and bought a Stag or LWRC shipped in, you would have to pay them to receive it (what $30-$75). Still, it upset me and I had to walk on it for now. Too bad, cash in pocket, ready to do the deed.

* EDIT * : Called Royal Loan. none in stock, 30 days or so waiting period. $209 Fred says, put a deposit down, yadda yadda.

I believe socal gun raised their prices in december. I went there after the gun show to have a friend buy a lower and it was $209 plus $30 more for the BB. we then drove over to Royal, none in stock, but they let us put a down payment for the next shipment. Just got my call yesterday that they arrived. Put the deposit down if you can wait, you won't regret it. The Kaiser lowers are excellent quality and well worth the money. Guys up north are paying close to $300 for the Kaiser lowers. I lucked out and got 2 of them for $189 each.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-15-2009, 5:30 PM
Jicko Jicko is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 8,806
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

KD lowers are TIGHT tho. First (sore) hand experience. But then, at the end of the day, I liked it a lot even tho I didn't own one. I had handled and built a LOT of lowers from various brand, and I found that KD is one of the higher quality ones.
__________________
- LL
NRA Certified Firearm Instructor


New to Calguns, check here first:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=56818
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-15-2009, 5:49 PM
zuchaka's Avatar
zuchaka zuchaka is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 902
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skale240 View Post
I believe socal gun raised their prices in december. I went there after the gun show to have a friend buy a lower and it was $209 plus $30 more for the BB. we then drove over to Royal, none in stock, but they let us put a down payment for the next shipment. Just got my call yesterday that they arrived. Put the deposit down if you can wait, you won't regret it. The Kaiser lowers are excellent quality and well worth the money. Guys up north are paying close to $300 for the Kaiser lowers. I lucked out and got 2 of them for $189 each.
ya i payed that fee in december for lower at So Cal, payed halph up front, halph after, had to wait a week , was preaty easy though
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-15-2009, 6:29 PM
Agro's Avatar
Agro Agro is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 805
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skale240 View Post
I believe socal gun raised their prices in december. I went there after the gun show to have a friend buy a lower and it was $209 plus $30 more for the BB. we then drove over to Royal, none in stock, but they let us put a down payment for the next shipment. Just got my call yesterday that they arrived. Put the deposit down if you can wait, you won't regret it. The Kaiser lowers are excellent quality and well worth the money. Guys up north are paying close to $300 for the Kaiser lowers. I lucked out and got 2 of them for $189 each.
So I am looking at $209 from Royal
Then $239 (I think that's what they said) from SoCal Gun) but includes a BB.

The BB is generally bout $20-$30 anyhow though right? I need one. Then it isnt THAT bad of a deal from SoCalGun, right? I like how they are close to me...

I will probably swing by Discount Gun tomorrow (they are even closer) and see what they have. If they don't have anything worthy I may go back to SoCal Gun.

There is always this too... Any opinions from anyone?
http://www.nationalpolicesupply.com/...c0177a3ae7d63a
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-15-2009, 6:49 PM
bplvr's Avatar
bplvr bplvr is offline
Senior Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Diego, National Socialist Democratic Republic of Facistfornia
Posts: 3,940
iTrader: 30 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG View Post
So I am looking at $209 from Royal
Then $239 (I think that's what they said) from SoCal Gun) but includes a BB.

The BB is generally bout $20-$30 anyhow though right? I need one. Then it isnt THAT bad of a deal from SoCalGun, right? I like how they are close to me...

I will probably swing by Discount Gun tomorrow (they are even closer) and see what they have. If they don't have anything worthy I may go back to SoCal Gun.

There is always this too... Any opinions from anyone?
http://www.nationalpolicesupply.com/...c0177a3ae7d63a
++++++++++++++++++++++
PM sent
__________________
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms,it will be because we destroyed ourselves"

-Abraham Lincoln,1862
=======================================
"Revolution against tyranny is the most sacred of duties"
- Benjamin Franklin -1775
=======================================
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-15-2009, 7:13 PM
skale240 skale240 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 479
iTrader: 38 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG View Post
So I am looking at $209 from Royal
Then $239 (I think that's what they said) from SoCal Gun) but includes a BB.

The BB is generally bout $20-$30 anyhow though right? I need one. Then it isnt THAT bad of a deal from SoCalGun, right? I like how they are close to me...

I will probably swing by Discount Gun tomorrow (they are even closer) and see what they have. If they don't have anything worthy I may go back to SoCal Gun.

There is always this too... Any opinions from anyone?
http://www.nationalpolicesupply.com/...c0177a3ae7d63a
Well since you need the BB, go back to Socal and pick up the lower
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-15-2009, 7:32 PM
5aa12's Avatar
5aa12 5aa12 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Holding the line So. Cal
Posts: 162
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jicko View Post
KD lowers are TIGHT tho. First (sore) hand experience. But then, at the end of the day, I liked it a lot even tho I didn't own one. I had handled and built a LOT of lowers from various brand, and I found that KD is one of the higher quality ones.
Yeah I think I sill owe someone some beer...
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-15-2009, 7:40 PM
5aa12's Avatar
5aa12 5aa12 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Holding the line So. Cal
Posts: 162
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

I was more than happy with the service at Royal Loan. And definitely very happy with my KD lower. Even more stoked on helping out local so-cal company.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Agro's Avatar
Agro Agro is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 805
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsh3 View Post
I just bought a territorial arms stripped lower from discount... Three days ago they had three brands and a few boxes of lowers in stock. I can't remember the other brands but the one I got was $179 I think...
They had the Territorial Gunsmith stripped lower in stock for $179 today. They had the Spikes, but it was a 22LR. I am torn on a reason to spend $209 for the Kaiser when this is $179. I am going out to the desert with my buddies tomorrow and I'm going to think about it. I don't see much of a difference between either, so I probably couldn't go wrong either way. I may stop in on my way home tomorrow and pick it up.

I will say this is my second time to Discount Gun in SD and each time I did not feel welcomed. I stood there for over 20 minutes while the guys helped other people (although they didnt help anyone NEW) and then chatted bout this and that. When it was almost my time to be helped, 2 police walked in and the guy knew I was there first and yet he helped them out. Finally I got helped and the guy was short with me. I may still buy from them because they are so close to me and price seems right.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-16-2009, 12:59 PM
pneutin pneutin is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Mateo
Posts: 132
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

+1 for So Cal Gun. They are very friendly and never ignored me.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-16-2009, 1:37 PM
tmuller's Avatar
tmuller tmuller is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mendocino cnty
Posts: 1,592
iTrader: 33 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG
I will say this is my second time to Discount Gun in SD and each time I did not feel welcomed. I stood there for over 20 minutes while the guys helped other people (although they didnt help anyone NEW) and then chatted bout this and that. When it was almost my time to be helped, 2 police walked in and the guy knew I was there first and yet he helped them out. Finally I got helped and the guy was short with me. I may still buy from them because they are so close to me and price seems right.
Yup. I've experienced this several times at Discount when trying to get a lane at the range or even trying to BUY something. This is one of the many reasons I go to SoCal; and the location, and selection of used/consignment gun(HUGE+), and the KD lowers are of excellent quality and locally built in SD. Good luck but my .02 is deal with those that have a quality product and treat you right, best of luck.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-16-2009, 1:57 PM
paladin4415's Avatar
paladin4415 paladin4415 is offline
Senior Member
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,455
iTrader: 568 / 100%
Default

Go to SoCal and buy the Kaiser. You will be happier.
__________________

One guy walks over to the black rifle area and starts gazing. An employee asked him if he knew what he wanted. The guy answered "Not sure......definitely something black.............and short...............and tactical."

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him."
-Mark Twain
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-16-2009, 4:04 PM
zuchaka's Avatar
zuchaka zuchaka is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 902
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneutin View Post
+1 for So Cal Gun. They are very friendly and never ignored me.
ya have to agree have delt with them on and off for 15 years never been ignored or had bad customer service, or been told something that was wrong in terms of law, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-16-2009, 4:40 PM
retired retired is offline
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Riverside County
Posts: 9,229
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Blog Entries: 2
Default

AMG, did you ever get a reply about the quality of the national police supply's lower. I'm trying to get an AR together myself (I posted a thread also). I'd appreciate any input you received about their lowers. I tried calling them, but they are at the Shot Show and won't return until Jan. 19. Thanks.

Last edited by retired; 01-16-2009 at 5:00 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-17-2009, 10:09 AM
dawson8r's Avatar
dawson8r dawson8r is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Carlsbad
Posts: 273
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

My only problem with So Cal is that they wouldn't do a PPT of a stripped OLL unless I bought a BB from them. Royal Loan just makes you sign a statement that you will build to be compliant with CA law.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:47 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.