Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > Santa Margarita Gun Club
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Santa Margarita Gun Club Competitive Shooting Sports for Active and Retired Military, civilians and juniors

Old 01-13-2009, 4:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Default 2009 NRA HP Rifle Rule Changes

http://www.nrahq.org/compete/rules/rul_hpr_09.pdf

I'm not sure if anyone else has been keeping track of the changes, but they are now officially posted on the NRA site.

The primary rule change that has gotten everyone riled up is the elimination of the requirement to stand prior to getting into position (sitting/kneeling and prone) for the rapid fire stages.

Quote:
10.1.7 Rapid Fire Loading Procedure - After the announcement “YOUR SIGHTER PERIOD HAS ENDED” or “FOR YOUR SECOND STRING OF RAPID FIRE” has been made, and before the targets appear, the rifle must be kept out of the shoulder, and the ammunition must remain either on the ground or shooting stool. When the targets appear shooters will retrieve their ammunition, load either 2 or 5 rounds and commence fire. (Note: the rifle need not be in the shoulder before the bolt is closed.) After firing 2 or 5 rounds, competitors will reload 8 or 5 rounds as appropriate. Reloading before firing the 2nd or 5th round (hot reload) will result in the shooter receiving a total score of “0" for that entire 10 round string of fire.
The NRA rule changes have also added the AR platform in chambered in .308 Winchester to the Service Rifle category.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 01-13-2009, 6:10 PM

Default Rule Change

So no more half standing /half into position on the the rapid fire sitting or prone? and AR in .308 service rifle? somebody's wishful thinking , where did that come from?

You should banish any thoughts of how you may appear to others.
Marcus Aurelius

"I won't be wronged, I wont be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
the "Duke" in the shootist
Old 01-15-2009, 8:29 AM

I thought there was supposed to be a comment period before new rules become effective. Did I (or we) miss that comment period?
Old 01-15-2009, 12:50 PM

Not a big fan. I'm a service rifle shooter, and like most, I'm motivated by leg points. I like the standing aspect of the rapidfires.

What bugs me though is that the question was raised two years ago: what if a guy with a waiver wins? The vast majority didn't care and didn't like the idea of eliminating the standing aspect to fix it.

But here we are inspite of the fact that it was met with a wave of resistance. A big change to the course of fire just to fix what is really a non-issue. Seriously: who thinks that someone wins a match because they shot a good rapid score.

The NRA sacrifices way too much to bring equality to the top tier shooters.

Last edited by 30Cal; 01-15-2009 at 12:56 PM..
Old 01-15-2009, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Cal View Post
Not a big fan. I'm a service rifle shooter, and like most, I'm motivated by leg points. I like the standing aspect of the rapidfires.

What bugs me though is that the question was raised two years ago: what if a guy with a waiver wins? The vast majority didn't care and didn't like the idea of eliminating the standing aspect to fix it.

But here we are inspite of the fact that it was met with a wave of resistance. A big change to the course of fire just to fix what is really a non-issue. [COLOR="black"]Seriously: who thinks that someone wins a match because they shot a good rapid score.[/COLOR]

The NRA sacrifices way too much to bring equality to the top tier shooters.
Good point: HP can be won in the off-hand and lost at 600 (and vice versa) - we've all seen it. It's unusual to see matches won with the rapid fire scores: but I suppose it does happen!
Old 01-19-2009, 1:14 PM

I am a little confused by the following 3.1.6 Service Rifle rule:

Quote:
External alterations to the barrel, upper and lower
receivers, stock, handguard, or pistol grip will not be allowed,
except that plastic covers may be used on the mounting rails
on the handguard
Does this suggest that a rail system can be used in place of the typical M16 style handguard in the service rifle category? Does this also apply to 5.56 AR's? Is a reproduction of the Army's DMR rifle sans optic now considered a service rifle?

In an ar15.com thread about the Army's DMR course, the following rifles were used. They removed the ACOG and placed the carry handle in its proper place at the course. Is this now considered legal for service rifle competition?

Old 01-21-2009, 5:06 PM

So I presume SMGC will be adhering to the new rules? I realize some shooters are less than pleased (I'm not included in that set) but I think in a year most will be asking - "Why did it take so long to do this?".
Old 02-08-2009, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csorin View Post
I am a little confused by the following 3.1.6 Service Rifle rule:

Does this suggest that a rail system can be used in place of the typical M16 style handguard in the service rifle category? Does this also apply to 5.56 AR's? Is a reproduction of the Army's DMR rifle sans optic now considered a service rifle?

In an ar15.com thread about the Army's DMR course, the following rifles were used. They removed the ACOG and placed the carry handle in its proper place at the course. Is this now considered legal for service rifle competition?

With the optics removed and the carry handle in place I would let you compete as a Service Rifle. Yes the DMR rifle competes as a SR.

Hope that helps.