Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-10-2009, 5:17 PM

Thumbs down Too expensive: S&W Model 632 Carry Comp Pro Series .327 Magnum

This just seems insanely expensive:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&produ ctId=86957&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y

$980.00 for something I can used--in a different but equal caliber-- and with no ILS?

I'll wait till prices go down (if they do).

Or I'll pay $400.00 less and get the Ruger:
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...=5759&return=Y
Decl. of Indep., July 4, 1776

NRA Benefactor/Life Member; Lifer: CRPA, GOA, SAF & JPFO

Old 01-10-2009, 5:22 PM
Banned

Go ahead, buy the Ruger...then wait for it to be recalled
Old 01-11-2009, 4:21 AM

Default Agree

I agree, Smith & Wesson pricing on some of their new revolvers is hard to understand. And then they put an internal lock on the gun to add insult to injury.

I'd just buy a used, prelock S&W revolver in some normal caliber like .357 magnum or .38 special for half the price and make do with that.
Old 01-11-2009, 6:53 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Notice;

S&W Model- Carry Comp Pro.

Ruger Model - Boat anchor/hammer
Old 01-11-2009, 7:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Shelf prices are often below list for the S&W.
Old 01-11-2009, 9:16 AM
Veteran Member

Depends on what you're gonna use it for. Plinking - you probably won't want to be shooting .327 anyway :P

The S&W piece looks like a nice carry gun in a compact package.

--Neill
Old 01-11-2009, 9:28 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Shelf prices are often below list for the S&W.
At a $980 MSRP, I know at least one store will probably initially list it at $833 if they follow their normal formula. However, I suspect that price will drop to $775 when it doesn't move quickly.

Sure, you can buy a Ruger and carry a larger, heavier revolver or you can buy the S&W and have a quality carry gun that doesn't pull your pants off.

Look at the ballistics of the .327 Magnum. It has the energy output of the .40 S&W with lighter recoil.
Old 01-11-2009, 9:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCA View Post
At a $980 MSRP, I know at least one store will probably initially list it at $833 if they follow their normal formula. However, I suspect that price will drop to $775 when it doesn't move quickly.
Yeah, the list on the PC Carry Comp 629 is much higher than the going rate on Gunbroker. I think I paid $200 less than MSRP on my Performance Center in 500S&W, and it was a special order item that only Lew Horton distributed. I would expect this non-PC gun to sell for much less than MSRP at any fair dealer or on gunbroker.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalK9.com View Post
Also dont worry if u have never built one once you go to a build party you will know everything and have a perfect functioning rifle.
Old 01-11-2009, 5:41 PM

Wink Wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
I agree, Smith & Wesson pricing on some of their new revolvers is hard to understand. And then they put an internal lock on the gun to add insult to injury.

I'd just buy a used, prelock S&W revolver in some normal caliber like .357 magnum or .38 special for half the price and make do with that.
[red edit by me]

No.

Get rid of those old guns.

Arrange a PM to me, and we can negotiate a price that is fair to me.
Decl. of Indep., July 4, 1776

NRA Benefactor/Life Member; Lifer: CRPA, GOA, SAF & JPFO

Old 01-11-2009, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
Go ahead, buy the Ruger...then wait for it to be recalled
Yeah, because S&W has never issued a recall on any of its guns... I distinclty remember buying a model 39 that was alter recalled due to a little issue of it going full auto sometimes when you activated the safety catch/ decocker...
Old 01-11-2009, 9:19 PM
Banned

.45gap
Old 01-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayra View Post
.45gap
I disagree. 45gap was the answer to a question no one asked. It was created because glock couldn't figure out a way to make a 45 that didn't have the ergos of a 2x4. Since they have some out with the SF frames, there really isn't a reason for the 45gap to exist. Even if they hadn't come out with the SF frames, there are plenty of 45 pistols out there with much better ergos.

The .327 fits a niche that really hasn't been filled. If you want a small pocket revolver your choices have been .38 or .357. Many people can't handle .357, especially in such a small frame and .38 isn't a monster of a cartridge. And either way you were limited to 5 shots. .327 gives you more power than a hot .38 without the recoil and muzzle blast of a .357. You also get one more round.

And this isn't considering the 3 other calibers you can shoot out of this pistol. Its a damn versatile gun going all the way from really light plinking to serious defensive loads.
Old 01-13-2009, 9:28 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunrun45 View Post
Yeah, because S&W has never issued a recall on any of its guns... I distinclty remember buying a model 39 that was alter recalled due to a little issue of it going full auto sometimes when you activated the safety catch/ decocker...
That's a new one on me... What year was this?
Old 01-13-2009, 9:52 AM

About 1969? That's why they came out with the 39-2 that had the fixed safety/ decoker lever. Mine went back for the factory recall/ fix.

Mine never dumped the full mag but did double when I dropped the safety once. That's when I found out about the recall and it went back to S&W for the safety refit. Its 100% reliable now and has seen off duty carry with 2 generations of my family now.

The point was that everyone has manufacturing issues sometimes. Its not limited to any one maker, especially when you are comming out with something inovative.

Last edited by gunrun45; 01-13-2009 at 10:41 AM..
Old 01-13-2009, 1:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAGE 2 View Post
I disagree. 45gap was the answer to a question no one asked. It was created because glock couldn't figure out a way to make a 45 that didn't have the ergos of a 2x4. Since they have some out with the SF frames, there really isn't a reason for the 45gap to exist. Even if they hadn't come out with the SF frames, there are plenty of 45 pistols out there with much better ergos.

The .327 fits a niche that really hasn't been filled. If you want a small pocket revolver your choices have been .38 or .357. Many people can't handle .357, especially in such a small frame and .38 isn't a monster of a cartridge. And either way you were limited to 5 shots. .327 gives you more power than a hot .38 without the recoil and muzzle blast of a .357. You also get one more round.

And this isn't considering the 3 other calibers you can shoot out of this pistol. Its a damn versatile gun going all the way from really light plinking to serious defensive loads.

Would love someone to come out with a lever rifle in the .327mag cal.

Thieves are the lowest form of life out there, except for liberal politicians, of course, but that's redundant.
Old 01-13-2009, 6:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by liketoshoot View Post
Would love someone to come out with a lever rifle in the .327mag cal.
Why? They have been making 32-20 leverguns for about a century and there is very little difference between the two cartridges, the biggest diff- being the 32-20 was designed for lever actions.