Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:28 PM

Default Reflex sight for shotgun use

Looking for recommendations on a rail-mounted reflex sight that will hold up on my 870 shooting slugs, birdshot, buckshot, whatever.. I doubt I'll be trying to shoot anything past 75 yards. Budget is $200.

One sight I've been considering is the Mueller Quick Shot (http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MQS12233.html). I like this configuration, but I'm not sure about the quality... I know Mueller has a decent reputation, but there are so many different brands selling identical looking sights it's hard to tell what I'm getting. It looks just like the $40-$75 "el cheapo" reflex sights, with the exception of the light sensors at the front.
I don't know if its just overpriced by 3x, or actually of better quality than those.
I lost the link, but I also saw one that looked identical for $250 or so another brand... Hard to tell what's a cheap Chinese knockoff and what's decent...

Note that I don't need a lot of features, I just want a basic reflex sight that'll work alright up to 75 yards and not get broken to pieces from shotgun recoil.

I would find any comments about reflex sights you've owned (regardless of price) very helpful.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:36 PM

Bump to Top...I'm curious too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum View Post
During Y2K my neighbor and I were talking and he said he had a basement full of water and canned food. He asked if I had stocked up and I said that I had. I told him I bought a 12 guage shotgun, a .308 rifle and several bricks of .22 ammo.

He is an anti-gun guy and he said. "Well, you can't eat ammunition". I replied with "When I'm starving to death with a case of ammunition, who's door do you think I am going to knock on?"
Old 01-09-2009, 12:08 AM
In Memoriam

Good luck on your quest please post how it works out for you.

When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.
Old 01-09-2009, 3:52 AM

Default Reflex

I went to the Ontario show a while back and took a look at the chinese reflex sights. I bought one for about $40, the guy was a local dealer in San Gabriel and he offered a lifetime guarantee!

Mounted it on my Mossberg 590A1 on a rail, sighted in at 50 yards shooting 1oz slugs.

I can hit a 2-gallon water jug at 100 yards if I "benchrest" it.

It's still working after several hundred rounds.

Kind of cool to punch paper with big holes. You can see where you hit without having to walk down range.

-prc104
Old 01-09-2009, 4:58 AM

while i am not a big fan of the 'cheap' reflex type sights, i do agree that a shotgun with mounted optic is BLISS. if you think a 2 gallon water jug @ 100 yards is good try a static target at the same distance while standing.. its amazing how much better you can shoot with the right set of tools. it can bring out the best in the gun and the worst in the shooter!

i plan on utilizing my eotech on my 590 from time to time. (since i can not afford multiple sets of optics i will be transitioning my 511 to multiple platforms)
Old 01-09-2009, 8:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prc104 View Post
I went to the Ontario show a while back and took a look at the chinese reflex sights. I bought one for about $40, the guy was a local dealer in San Gabriel and he offered a lifetime guarantee!
Could you post a pic of what you have?

Was it Bain & Davis Gun Shop? They're up the road from me in San Gabriel.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:32 AM

I played around with some of the 33mm Chinese-made reflex sights today at the Ventura Gun show. They look better than I expected. They're the ones you see in the sub-$100 price range, like this one:
http://www.opticsplanet.net/yukon-si...-sm13003c.html

The single-color reticles look alright, but I didn't like the ones with the switchable green/red color. The coating on the green/red sights reflects a lot of ambient light, making it very hard to see through the sight in all but the most ideal conditions (you in an unlit room, target in a bright area).

I ordered one from OpticsPlanet and will begin testing its durability next weekend. At $40, it can't hurt to try it.
Old 01-17-2009, 1:33 AM

Received the Sightmark reflex sight today.

First impressions... Unfortunately, Sightmark uses the dual-color reflective coating even on their red-only sights, unlike Aim Sports Inc., who use a lens with better transmittance on the red-only sights.
This makes it noticeably harder to look through the lens because it has a green/red tint. The Aim Sports Inc. red sight ($49) I tested at the Ventura Gun Show was far easier to look through, while the lens on the red/green Aim Sports sight looked like the Sightmark I got today.

The Sightmark's reticles are also a bit less crisp than the red-only Aim Sports sight, and I think it's due to the coating. Since this is just going on a shotgun, I really don't care about how sharp the reticle is, but it's worth noting.

I'll have a functional review after I go to the range on Sunday.
Old 01-17-2009, 7:41 PM

sweet series!, thanks for the follow up, I'm looking for a quick reflex as well for my 1100.

can't wait for the range report!
Old 01-18-2009, 12:02 AM

Arggh... unfortunately my range testing is going to be delayed:

While getting my equipment ready for tomorrow I discovered that the picatinny rail that came with my Mesa Tactical setup mounts to the Mesa Tactical adapter -- not the receiver. Since I don't have a grip yet for the Mesa Tactical adapter, I can't use it! I need to wait for my grip to come in, or find/make a different rail set up so I can mount this before testing.
Now I regret not buying the receiver-mounted scope mount I saw at the Ventura Gun Show.. I'll keep an eye out at my local stores to see if they have something that will work, or hopefully my grip will get here soon..

Last edited by series8217; 01-18-2009 at 1:21 AM..
Old 01-18-2009, 5:33 PM

Ghost rings sight are the way to go. Keep it simple
Old 01-18-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prc77 View Post
Ghost rings sight are the way to go. Keep it simple
Thanks for the 2 cents, but this thread is about reflex sights, not iron sights!
Old 01-19-2009, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by series8217 View Post
Arggh... unfortunately my range testing is going to be delayed:
It's always something...

I have a Sightmark on my Buckmark and I really like it. I just got an 870, and may consider a reflex sight for that. Eagerly awaiting your range report.
Old 01-19-2009, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldude View Post
It's always something...
+1 to that! ALWAYS something.

If the cheap models to end up letting you down (knock on wood), if you can stretch $40 past your budget you can get a Bushnell holosight like mine pictured below. It takes a beating and still works. Only problem is it's size compared to the smaller/cheaper reflex sights.

Quick and easy sight acquisition, fairly light weight and fairly robust (compared to it's military EoTech version).

Old 01-19-2009, 5:33 PM
Calguns Addict

You get what you pay for.

I doubt those cheapo red dots will hold up well for long, you should really consider putting a little $$$ into a quality product, especially if you are betting your life on it.

I like the looks of this, havent used one yet, but itll be on order on payday.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/speedbead.html
Old 01-20-2009, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavTrooper View Post
You get what you pay for.
I doubt those cheapo red dots will hold up well for long, you should really consider putting a little $$$ into a quality product, especially if you are betting your life on it.
I will be buying the Bushnell or Eotech if/when the cheap one fails. Not betting my life on shooting 100 yard slugs, or birdhost at clay pigeons :-P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrivera1 View Post
If the cheap models to end up letting you down (knock on wood), if you can stretch $40 past your budget you can get a Bushnell holosight like mine pictured below. It takes a beating and still works. Only problem is it's size compared to the smaller/cheaper reflex sights.

Quick and easy sight acquisition, fairly light weight and fairly robust (compared to it's military EoTech version).
The Bushnell one does look very nice. Does it have the same optics as the Eotech, but the case is just less sturdy? Any idea where it's made?

Who makes the long rail you are using? Looks like its mounted to a Mesa Tactical adapter, but I know that's not the stock rail.
Old 01-20-2009, 5:41 PM
Veteran Member

I have a Mossberg 590 that I attached a rail on the receiver and installed a cheap NC Star red dot sight on it because the brass bead doesn't really work for me.
At first I was really leary of running this Chicom stuff on my good ole Yankee shotgun but luck,fate and or the gun gods have blessed me with a really tough little sight that I considered disposable. Lots of rounds and only change batts not the zero.
Looks like a Dr. Optic unit and runs on one cr2032 battery.
Not a first choice but a decent cheap one.
My 2 cents.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --