Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 01-02-2009, 1:09 PM

Default I just want to introduce myself

Hi ladies:

My real name is Katie, and while this is my first post, I have been reading the almost innumerable amount of threads and posts that exist on this forum.

I am not your average person who collects guns, nor am I inclined to be one, but I did have a frightening experience some time back, which has prompted me to consider taking what I feel is a drastic measure. I live alone, and someone tried to break in to my house one night, and when I called 911, it seemed like it took the police forever to get here. The person I talked to was reassuring and comforting, but the whole experience was just frightening. I am a peaceful person, and I try not to be confrontational with anyone. But, there does come a time when a woman must stand up for herself, and this experience that I encountered made me realize that time has arrived, unfortunately. I've never owned a gun, and it concerns me that I am considering it now. But I do have to face the realities of life, and this experience has taught me that no one is safe from crime.

Having said all of this, perhaps some of you can help me decide where I should go, and who I should talk to about getting something that I can use if this ever happens again. If you have an alternative to guns, I would love to hear about the alternative as well.

Thanks,

Katie

Last edited by Lilith; 01-02-2009 at 1:12 PM..
Old 01-02-2009, 2:17 PM

Go to a gun store in your area pick out a pistol that fits your hands comfortably.
Look into a revolver type pistol in a .38 caliber. Ask the salesman for some firing ranges in your area and contact the range to see if they offer shooting lessons.
List the city you are from and some calguners will chime in and give you some reputable gun stores and ranges. Have fun shopping and welcome to calguns!
Old 01-02-2009, 2:20 PM

Hello Katie,

Welcome to calguns.net. I am Lynda, but ost people who know me from Calguns simply call me Chibs or Chibi in real life. I do understand fully what you are talking about being on the receiving end of violence, and also standing up to defending my loved ones. The only difference was that I was raised with friend who had firearms when I was little, but not my family when I was growing up. So I am no stranger to them, but I do see both side. I am very glad that you've made a decision to take responsibility back to yourself, but I am sorry you had to experience the reason the way you had.

Despite what it seems, there are quite a few of us here on Calguns. We're just less vocal than the boys. Aside from reading and searching this forum one of the better things to do is to get with someone local to you. There's really no substitute for hands on, and human interaction especially when you're starting out. Not so much different than learning how to drive a car, the responsibility of driving one, and of course selecting something that works for you. May I ask what area you are located at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLaw View Post
I'm Greek and I don't even understand it fully..
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSequoia
The AK, Millions of wannabe warlords cannot be wrong!
Old 01-02-2009, 2:51 PM

you don't necessarily need a gun, you could get a taser or pepper spray. but the best way to take the fight out of an attacker or burglar or rapist is a gun. you need to find out what you are most comfortable with, be it a pistol, rifle, or shotgun. and then you must practice with it and know it inside and out. taking responsibility for your own safety is not fun, but it is necessary. i'm sure that you can find many people here that can help if you have any questions, or that would be wlling to meet with you and walk you through things at the store or whatever.
good luck

Better a cruel truth than a comfortable delusion
-- Edward Abbey
Old 01-02-2009, 3:31 PM

If you're in the Bay Area, I'm a volunteer teacher for a women's self-defense group. Take a look at www.girlarmy.org
Our next class, a 3-week basics (open hand, not weapons however) course, will be in the early spring in Oakland. The classes are cheap or free, depending on your need and finances. Nobody turned away for lack of funds.
Old 01-02-2009, 4:35 PM

Thank you so much everyone for answering so quickly. I live in Redlands, and haven't seen a store with anything that I would be comfortable with having in my home. There is a Big 5 in town, but they have big guns, and I would be afraid of hurting myself. It is against my nature to hurt anyone, and it would be a horrible thing to kill someone, but I also don't want to be hurt. This is such an uneasy dilemma for me, but I feel that there is no other choice.

I just found a store called Turners Outdoorsman, and I asked them about buying a gun. The man I spoke to said that I had to take a test to buy a gun. When I asked him what kind of test it was, he said that it tested my knowledge about safety, and guns, and I have no idea what he is talking about. So this is quickly turning into a conundrum for me. How does a person buy a gun if they have to take a test, but have no knowledge about them ? Oh, I almost forgot, he also said that when I buy it, I can't take it with me because I have to go through a background check. I am thinking of just buying the taser or pepperspray. Do you have to take tests for those?
Old 01-02-2009, 5:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Handgun Safety Certificate Program

Info about the program: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/hscinfo.php

The actual study guide (all you need to know): http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/hscsg.pdf

No tests are needed for getting a Taser or pepper spray, if you want a pepper spray, you should consider Kimber's, it is much more effective than those regular spray can like pepper spray.

RE: getting a gun, you would have to wait 10 days after you paid for it. But before doing that, you should definitely try a couple out before jumping into one. Try to find a member in your area, and have her show you some different guns, and their operations first.

New to Calguns, check here first:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=56818
Old 01-02-2009, 5:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jicko View Post
Handgun Safety Certificate Program

Info about the program: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/hscinfo.php

The actual study guide (all you need to know): http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/hscsg.pdf

No tests are needed for getting a Taser or pepper spray, if you want a pepper spray, you should consider Kimber's, it is much more effective than those regular spray can like pepper spray.

RE: getting a gun, you would have to wait 10 days after you paid for it. But before doing that, you should definitely try a couple out before jumping into one. Try to find a member in your area, and have her show you some different guns, and their operations first.
I got the Kimber pepper spray for my sister in law. She's always hated my guns since I scared off one of her early boyfriends and I was afraid that she wouldn't be open to carrying pepper spray, but she's actually really liking it. Every now and then I'll get a phone call thanking me for it and some story about how she was on BART or somewhere else and was freaked out because of this or that happening and she always seems to be putting a hand in her purse for the pepperspray. Kind of like a comfort item.
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in an empty pile of brass.
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gif
NRA Member
Old 01-02-2009, 5:08 PM

You have to take a handgun safety test for handguns and the salesman at turners sounds like he isnt much help. Did he offer you a study book for 50 cents? Go back get that book and it should take no more than 10 minutes to learn the whole book and take the test then ask for the store manager for help on purchasing your hand gun. you can carry pepper spray or taser gun when your on the go and have a gun for home defense. Taser gun only limits you to one shot and pepper spray is good as long as you dont accidently spray yourself when your in panic mode. PM me if you have any other questions and I can try to help.
Old 01-02-2009, 5:40 PM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

and you can find the info for studying for free on the internet as well. its an easy read and an easy test....i scored 100% without much trouble.

look into a .38/.357 revolver. do not get a lightweight....do not buy until you've actually tried some gun rentals at a range. a stainless steel revolver is easy to clean and use. so is a blued one, for that matter. getting a .38/.357 allows you more flexibility re ammo. however, if you live in an apartment there are issues re having a gun that will easily shoot ammo through walls.

many ranges have rentals. some are better than others. see if you can get a friend to go with you. makes it easier. handle and ask a lot of questions about a lot of pistols. you'll soon weed out the jerks and find someone who is sympathetic. many who work behind the counter are ex law enforcement and some are very much into helping women find their place with a gun.

i rented guns at 2 different places and tried a friend's guns also before i made a decision. however, the gun is useless unless you learn to use it and that means going to a range and practicing, Practicing, PRACTICING.

i applaud your decision learn to protect yourself. there are many ways of doing that but ultimately in my opinion the best and most effective way for me is a gun that i know and know how to use.

while it is nice that the person on the phone when you called 911 was supportive and comforting, it doesn't beat knowing you can defend yourself should the need arrise.

movie zombie

ps i didn't stop with just one..........i found i like shooting and have purchased several revolvers and a rifle as well. i actually have a shopping list for what i'm looking for next!

ETA: also, don't discount a smaller calibre gun: more people are killed by a .22 each year than any other calibre. what is important is that you can use the gun and hit your target. a .38 is useless if you're afraid of it. you might also look to see if there are any NRA women's classes in your area. also, some rod and gun clubs have women's only classes.

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 01-02-2009, 7:40 PM

Thank you so much Blue for the book. I have it and will study it. In the meantime, should I just buy the pepperspray to have something ? I don't want to buy too many things, but I do want something now.

I have to apologize to hung380 because I mislead you. I only called them to ask about buying a gun. I didn't go to the store.

Movie zombie, you are so knowledgeable, which gun would you choose ? If a .22 kills more people, should I buy the .38/.357 revolver ? You also mentioned a .38. What is the difference between the .38/.357 revolver, and a .38. I am such a novice at this.

I promise I will practice, but it will have to be between trips. I fly to alot of places to meet with clients, so I don't know how much I will be able to practice.
Old 01-02-2009, 7:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I got the Kimber pepper spray for my sister in law. She's always hated my guns since I scared off one of her early boyfriends and I was afraid that she wouldn't be open to carrying pepper spray, but she's actually really liking it. Every now and then I'll get a phone call thanking me for it and some story about how she was on BART or somewhere else and was freaked out because of this or that happening and she always seems to be putting a hand in her purse for the pepperspray. Kind of like a comfort item.
Dude come on. You can't say something like that and then not explain it. I am sure I'm not the only one who wants to hear about you peppering some guys truck with a gauge or whatever happened. Spill it.

Oh, and welcome Lilith. I think you'll be well served with a .38 or even a .22 vs. pepper spray or a taser. The test is very easy and you will pass it no problem.

BDD
Old 01-02-2009, 9:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Since you're in Redlands, take a look at this post.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=140000

It's not too far. I'm sure maddog can give you some more info.

You should see if there are any calguns women who would be willing to accompany you to an indoor rental range where you can try things out yourself.

Google Map of OLL Dealers

List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.
Old 01-02-2009, 9:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
Thank you so much Blue for the book. I have it and will study it. In the meantime, should I just buy the pepperspray to have something ? I don't want to buy too many things, but I do want something now.

I have to apologize to hung380 because I mislead you. I only called them to ask about buying a gun. I didn't go to the store.

Movie zombie, you are so knowledgeable, which gun would you choose ? If a .22 kills more people, should I buy the .38/.357 revolver ? You also mentioned a .38. What is the difference between the .38/.357 revolver, and a .38. I am such a novice at this.

I promise I will practice, but it will have to be between trips. I fly to alot of places to meet with clients, so I don't know how much I will be able to practice.
Welcome to the forum, Katie. To answer your question, while where your bullet goes, or shot placement, is probably most important in stopping the attacker, the size of the bullet and the powder charge behind it also matters. For instance, heavy clothing can stop some bullets, or they may not penetrate far enough to stop the attacker. As such, while .22 caliber is better than nothing, a higher caliber is advisable in order to be able to protect yourself reliably. The .38/.357 revolver she meant is any revolver of suitable size that can shoot both .38 Special and .357 magnum calibers. .38 Special has less recoil, and isn't as likely to overpenetrate, while .357 magnum is a powerful round that was originally designed to penetrate car doors and such (it used to be widely used by the police). The beauty of such revolvers is that they can shoot both calibers, since the bullet diameter is the same for both. The reason .22 was recommended for target practice is that it has less recoil and it easier for new shooters to shoot without getting tired of recoil. However, it's quite subjective. For example, my girlfriend started with .40 caliber half a year ago (we didn't have a .22 handgun back then), and when we did get a .22 handgun, she didn't like it and called it a firecracker.

So, as people said before me, go to a range, rent and try a few guns for yourself and see which one feels best. You don't need any certificates/whatever else to shoot at a range, those are only required to actually buy a handgun. Also, most places have ranges, so you can practice even when you travel.

Anyway, once again welcome to the forum. Feel free to ask questions, there're plenty of good people here who'll be glad to answer them.
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

WTB: Saiga .223 bolt; HK G3 bolt; Chinese AK pistol grips; milled AK cut receiver pieces and stubs.

Last edited by nick; 01-02-2009 at 9:06 PM..
Old 01-02-2009, 9:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Lilith,

Welcome! First, your thought about you hurting yourself with a longgun is interesting. It is actually much easier to have an accident with a handgun than a longgun. Before you go out and just buy something, I would suggest that you find someone local to help you and take you shooting a couple times. You may find that you enjoy shooting trap and then you'ld need a shotgun. You may find that you really like percission shooting so, then you'ld need a rifle. You may decide that you only want your first gun for self protection which would mean that you'ld probably want a shotgun or handgun. Find your local range and see if they can suggest a firearms instuctor to you. He or she should be able to do the above and then you don't have to meet someone off the internet.
Old 01-02-2009, 9:31 PM

Lilith,
Try to find a NRA class, titled something close to "Women's Introductory Course to Firearms"
My wife took this class when I began to get into firearms and decided it would be good for her to know how to use my firearms.
She took it again a year later to take my mom and aunt (in their 60s/50s respectively) and they loved it as well.
I then had her take a class from a nearby school (Weapons Training School in Sonora) called "Women & Handguns"
She just finished taking a tactical rifle class with me and she has quite a few guns of her own.
I think the organized class route might be the best for you, perhaps somebody in your area can guide you to some classes.
Good luck & welcome aboard.

"I point out the obvious because if I belabor the subtle it only leaves people slack-jawed and drooling." - Bill Heavey
Old 01-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member

Hello Lilith,
Allow me to pass on what was suggested to me as a novice. After familiarizing yourself with a weapons operations and safety protocalls, Go to a range and rent a few different guns to see what you are comfortable with. What grip fits your hand, what recoil is excessive, and what you can afford to blast 500 rounds through from per month. Any 357 mag will chamber the 38 special, But don't put a 357 in a 38! For personal defence, pepper spray is much more efective that a stun gun or a taser. Pepper spray is easy to conciel, legal and will not kill anyone. It will dissable the assailant for 30 min. and give you time to get help. A stun gun and a taser last about 30 seconds and the assailant will be really ticked off and could chase you down. My 2 sense, J.

The DOJ knows that two guys with semi autos that have a folding or collapsable stock, or pistol grip could take out California's entire police force, SWAT, and the National Guard. Jeeze, that pistol grip and stock are really dangerous...
Old 01-02-2009, 11:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The problem with pepper spray is that it's effective on some people, and not that effective on others. It also affects the person who does the spraying (well, those Kimber Guardians take care of it somewhat).

WTB: Saiga .223 bolt; HK G3 bolt; Chinese AK pistol grips; milled AK cut receiver pieces and stubs.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

i think the questions re calibre were addressed. some women are more comfortable with a .22 as a first gun.....then they get bored after practicing with it a lot. i actually got my .22 after i got the .38/.357. like i said, i got bit by the gun bug and actually have quite a few .38/357's now......

have a look at the smith and wesson model 60 which is stainless. its a j-frame and smaller so it fits a woman's hand well. do not look at air or light weights! the recoil is bad even for a man!!!!!! a step up in size would be a k-frame....i bought used both a model 19 and a model 66. i love them all.

rent as many times as you need in order to make a decision. or get a .22 now and work up to a larger calibre. this would be true of a revolver or a semi-auto with a slide. there is no one size fits all. it really is a matter of what you are comfortable with and what works for you.

here's a place to start to find a NRA class: http://www.nrahq.org/women/isc/index.asp

you mention that you travel: i like the poster's suggestion that you take advantage of that and look for classes and ranges where you travel. it really opens more opportunities to try out guns and meet helpful people.

i was lucky and have a male friend who accompanied me on my initial info gathering foray. i also found that calling ahead and talking to someone at the range sometimes opened a door for when i got there as i could then ask to see that person. the connection was already established and i thought i got more assistance.

movie zombie

ps another factor mentioned above is cost: .22 and .38 and/or .357 is inexpensive compared to some ammunition. thus far i've limited my handguns and rifles to the same calibre of ammo so i can shoot either without having 6 different types of ammo around.

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 01-03-2009, 12:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
thus far i've limited my handguns and rifles to the same calibre of ammo so i can shoot either without having 6 different types of ammo around.
I made the same resolution... It lasted for about a month. Glad someone managed to stick to it

Old 01-03-2009, 1:12 PM
CGN Contributor

Lilith, I'd suggest you try a nearby indoor gun range that you can go to and rent handguns to try and see what you like, meaning you can control the recoil and it fits your hand. Also, semi-autos require you to pull the slide back to load a cartridge, many ladies do not have the hand strength to reliably do that. So, that is something you need to find out. That is why revolvers are often recommended for ladies.

The nearest indoor gun range in is San Bernardino, and others in Riverside and Rancho Cucamonga.

Dave's Indoor Gun & Archery
Address: 766 S Lugo Ave, San Bernardino, CA 92408
Phone: (909) 884-5584
http://www.davesmagnumrange.com/

Magnum Range
Address: 9049 9th St, Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
Phone: (909) 987-1299

Riverside Magnum Range
Address: 12391 Sampson St # O, Riverside, CA 92503
Phone: (951) 736-1236

One thing to remember, many ranges will not rent handguns to people that come alone without a handgun. You may need to bring a friend with you. Or, maybe explain your situation and see if you can be supervised while you try out a gun. Unfortunately, too many people that don't own guns have gone to the range with the sole intention of committing suicide with a rented gun. So, they have to be careful on who they rent to.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 01-03-2009, 3:56 PM

Welcome to Calguns Lilith. I totally understand what your concerns are and I am willing to help if you are interested. I live in Upland, and I have no problem with meeting with you to help you decide what kind of firearm you would be interested in. I have taken other friends shooting, and I would be more than happy to meet with you. If you would like, I will email you with my information, and we can find a time that is best for the both of us. I have a somewhat busy schedule as well, so this might be interesting. Anyway, let me know, and we can go from there.

Jen
"I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand." --Susan B. Anthony (1820-1906), speech in San Franscisco, July 1871

NRA Life Member
Old 01-03-2009, 4:29 PM
Veteran Member

Ditch the pepper spray idea, and take up the chance to take a shooting lesson from a fellow calgunner who has offered. They will be able to guide you in the right direction and make you at ease with a handgun.
I only say this as ive been pepper sprayed in my apartment by a angry drunk room mate, i got it full in the face and all it did was realy make me very angry, it did not stop me from braking the guys nose and taking him down. If someone is intent on doing you great bodily harm inside the confines of your room, pepering them is probably going to make them far worse in the on coming attack. One more thing- wood be robbers will wait to your gone to commit there crime, a person who brakes in and probably knows you will be home needs to be met with great force to deter them, DO NOT UNDER ESTIMATE THERE REAL INTENTIONS. Im glad you have made it to this site there are many helpful people here men and women. Take care of yourself.
Old 01-03-2009, 4:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Contact your nearest indoor shooting range and sign up for a basic firearms introduction class; the range personnel will help you pick from the classes available.

Don't necesarily fixate on a handgun, you may prefer a 20 gauge or 12 gauge pump shotgun for instance after handling some different firearms.

A handguns primary benefit is portability, which may not be applicable if you aren't interested in or unable to obtain a concealed weapons permit.

In the meantime, pick up a good baseball bat while you wait to attend your firearms introduction class.
Old 01-03-2009, 6:57 PM
Well used Member
CGN Contributor

Default Get training no matter what else you decide to do.

Lilith, I recommend you call the local chapter of the NRA and find out about the Women On Target program. They offer the chance to shoot a shotgun, handgun, and a rifle all in the same class! The last class I mentored at was only $20.00 for everything. We provided the firearms, ammo, and safety gear. This is considerably cheaper than most classes, plus all the students and a lot of the instructors are women. This will give you exposure to various types of firearms in a safe, no pressure environment and is geared towards first time shooters. Here's a link for you to follow.

http://www.nrahq.org/women/isc/index.asp

Although the class in Alpine that I help with is listed on the website, many of these are not. Contact your local NRA chapter/gun club to find classes in your area if you don't see them listed online.

If you can't find a WOT class try looking for other basic firearm classes. Another link for you:
http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/find.asp

Here's the master link for all women programs offered by the NRA:
http://www.nrahq.org/women/index.asp

Self defense is more about mindset than the tools you use. Choosing to not be a victim is a good start. I'm happy you did so. Many people don't come to this realization until after something horrible happens. Unfortunately, it is often too late by then. Don't feel that you have to limit yourself to one tool. Get a firearm, get some pepperspray, get a good tac light, and get some training. You never know when one of these will fail you, having a backup is just good sense.

Rethinking your home security setup is a major part of being proactive. I install doors for a living and you'd be amazed at the number of $500,000 homes protected only by a crappy $20.00 lock. Make sure you have good locks on all doors and windows. Security screens are a good way to beef up security on your exterior doors. Many window locks are a joke. You can remedy this with a good after market lock. No lock is made that can stop a determined intruder but, they make it a lot harder and require more noise to bypass. A good alarm system is an excellent idea and the discount on your homeowner's or renter's insurance can really offset the monthly fee. If you can, get a dog. Even a small yapper will bark at intruders, giving you critical seconds to take action. A medium size dog can do serious damage to an intruder. Plus, they are good protection when going out at night and they make great companions.

Any weapon is better than no weapon but, the best weapon is between your ears. Learn everything you can about different ways to defend yourself before you need to. When 6' 6" billy badguy jumps out of the bushes it is a bit late to start figuring it out. The fact that you're being proactive speaks well of your critical thinking skills. There are many classes that can teach you the proper mindset, find one and sign up for it. Follow up on some of the offers to take you shooting. Try several guns before buying one.

Pickup a copy of "How to Own a Gun & Stay Out of Jail: What You Need to Know About the Law If You Own a Gun or Are Thinking of Buying One : California Edition 2008" I've never been to a gunshop that didn't have this for sale. It is a great source of information.

I know this sounds like a lot but, it really isn't. Most of this will flow one into another once you get the ball rolling. Good luck and stay safe.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."--Plato
Old 01-03-2009, 7:19 PM

Fantastic advice Taloft! I attended eight hours of training this morning to complete my requirements for NC’s concealed carry permit and was disgusted with my instructor. According to the doctrine of, “Tactical Bubba” the firearm is the cure for all evil in the world, never mind situational awareness, physical conditioning, martial arts, and training. Too many people focus strictly on the firearm and overlook other security measures that could be put in place to reduce your chances of being involved in an armed encounter. Keep your phone charged, buy the best locks and lighting available for your home, avoid letting your gas tank fall below tank and seek out quality training.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:29 PM

Lilith, I know it's a lot to think and absorb, and everyone who responded have the best intention. However, please keep in mind that gun laws are not very well written, and often they can be quite murky. You really need to take the time dissecting advice that people dispense to you. You will run across a lot of opinions and interpretations that are not entirely correct. This is true even in printed materials, but especially on the internet.

One good example is the book "How to own a gun and stay out of jail". This book is quite notoriously inaccurate, and some materials in this are grossly outdated, and often quite hotly debated.

Bottom line is, there will be times which you will need to look up the penal codes yourself if there are specific things and situations in question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taloft View Post
>Snip<
Pickup a copy of "How to Own a Gun & Stay Out of Jail: What You Need to Know About the Law If You Own a Gun or Are Thinking of Buying One : California Edition 2008" I've never been to a gunshop that didn't have this for sale. It is a great source of information.
>Snip<

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLaw View Post
I'm Greek and I don't even understand it fully..
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSequoia
The AK, Millions of wannabe warlords cannot be wrong!
Old 01-03-2009, 11:47 PM
Banned

Smile

I've recommended this is another thread and will do the same here.

One "tool" that people often overlook with respect to self-defense is the "dog."

Dogs can be a great deterrent to "bad guys."

My ex-wife took our pit bull when she moved out, but I wasn't mad, since she moved into a sketchy area, and I thought the dog would be good protection for her. So far, he's been great protection, and she's had no problems of any kind with anyone.

Guns are also good!

But I like dogs too!!!

I'm getting ready to move into a somewhat rough area myself, and while I do have my guns, I'm also planning on getting a second dog (I have a Rottweiler right now). My second dog is going to have one single "job" and that is going to be to protect me and my property.

Here's a pic of an Anatolian/Kuvaz mix. These dogs were bred for guarding, yet are gentle with their owners. . .

These are tough dogs!

Here's one playing with a cheetah:

Old 01-03-2009, 11:55 PM
Well used Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPaw View Post
Lilith, I know it's a lot to think and absorb, and everyone who responded have the best intention. However, please keep in mind that gun laws are not very well written, and often they can be quite murky. You really need to take the time dissecting advice that people dispense to you. You will run across a lot of opinions and interpretations that are not entirely correct. This is true even in printed materials, but especially on the internet.

One good example is the book "How to own a gun and stay out of jail". This book is quite notoriously inaccurate, and some materials in this are grossly outdated, and often quite hotly debated.

Bottom line is, there will be times which you will need to look up the penal codes yourself if there are specific things and situations in question.
Really? This book is updated often. I tend to find it a bit on the conservative side but, it doesn't usually contain any advice that would get someone in trouble. Can you please note a specific example or post a link? Feel free to PM information if you prefer.

I do agree that anything on a website should be taken with a grain of salt and always consult with a lawyer if in doubt.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."--Plato

Last edited by taloft; 01-04-2009 at 12:08 AM..
Old 01-04-2009, 1:44 AM
Banned

I think that's what Chibi meant to say. The book is very conservative - but as a new gun owner - it's best to be conservative.

My only other "complaint" is that it doesn't address OLL's - at least in the older edition I have. Maybe the new edition does, I'll have to get a copy.

Otherwise, a great book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taloft View Post
Really? This book is updated often. I tend to find it a bit on the conservative side but, it doesn't usually contain any advice that would get someone in trouble. Can you please note a specific example or post a link? Feel free to PM information if you prefer.

I do agree that anything on a website should be taken with a grain of salt and always consult with a lawyer if in doubt.
Old 01-04-2009, 2:48 AM
Well used Member
CGN Contributor

I agree completely with this. The whole idea of the book is to keep people out of jail. Being very conservative is best in the beginning. I wasn't looking to stir up a debate. My question to ChibiPaw was strictly for information purposes. Since I help train new shooters and frequently recommend this book, I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't endorsing bad material that might land them in jail. I concur with her assessment that there will come a time when a gun owner should read the Penal code for themselves.

On the other hand,
Quote:
I really don't see any glaring inaccuracies. The new version updated and addressed much of the outdated material, and I've never heard anyone debate the merits of this book until now.

As laws change, so to does the book. Having a current copy is best. Also, there is a huge disclaimer right after the table of contents. I always recommend people read it first. Yes, in the new addition they do address OLL and legal builds but, not to a great degree. This starts on page 156 "Modifying Your Gun" They also address SB23 and how it is possible to run afoul of features issues. I do wish he'd go into more detail but, at least he is giving a nod to it in this version. Perhaps he will expound upon it in the next version. Personally, I think OLL issues are a tad advanced for a new gun owner. All things in good time.

However, I don't want to side track this thread any further. I'll start another thread reguarding the book.

Old 01-04-2009, 5:43 AM

Probably the best site for women and guns on the web is Cornered Cat (http://www.corneredcat.com/) - a terrific resource for new and old shooters a like...

I am also in agreement with the "Big Dogs" assessment, if you like dogs and can keep one... I consider my 2 extra jumbo pups my first line of defense... they discourage anyone with ill intent...

Last edited by Boatz; 01-04-2009 at 5:44 AM.. Reason: html coding didn't work
Old 01-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Cat-in-a-Box

back to Annie's offer: TAKE HER UP ON IT!
she is really knowledgeable re guns and has a lot of experience!
what a great way to start out with Annie's help!

movie zombie

ps corneredcat.com has a lot of good info and more than worth the read before you meet up with Annie.

Gun Control:
Old 01-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
back to Annie's offer: TAKE HER UP ON IT!
she is really knowledgeable re guns and has a lot of experience!
what a great way to start out with Annie's help!

movie zombie

ps corneredcat.com has a lot of good info and more than worth the read before you meet up with Annie.
I agree 100% with this.
"You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Admiral Yamamoto
USS Hornet ARC Member.

Join today?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:33 AM

First I just want to say how grateful I am that I found Calguns and the wonderful people that are here. You have all been so receptive to my plea for help, and I thank you all so much for that.

I am especially grateful to Jicko for guiding me to the online booklet I downloaded, and Boatz, thank you for cornered cat; it is a simple but intensive website, and I hope I can absorb all that it teaches. I also want to thank Lynda (ChibiPaw) and Movie Zombie for their support, and Annie Oakley for agreeing to meet with me.

I am looking forward to more interactions with the Calguns community as time permits, but for the time being, thank you everyone for all of your help.

Last edited by Lilith; 01-05-2009 at 11:48 AM..
Old 01-05-2009, 7:08 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

you're welcome, Lilith! keep us posted, please.

movie zombie

Gun Control:
Old 01-05-2009, 11:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Welcome once again to the community, Im glad the gals ( and guys) here could help you out with some ideas! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask us, theres lots of very well informed people here who can find out the answers you need! Welcome To Calguns Lillith!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
I don't like getting my butt kicked, but I would like to have it spanked by some big hairy guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
I wouldn't put "mounting a weasel" past too many people on this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...
-Gene
Old 01-11-2009, 8:49 AM

I live in Yucaipa and if you still need help or a shooting partner just let me know. You will get a ton of good advice and some not so good advice and it can be difficult to sort out what is best for you.
I need a good excuse to go shooting more.
Old 01-11-2009, 9:13 PM

Hello everyone, I've just returned from North Carolina, and I read some the comments that have been posted while I was gone. You are all so great, and your invitations are very generous. Thank you so much. Before I left, I spoke with Annie Oakley (Jen) and we had a wonderful two hours just talking and getting to know each other. She is so smart, and I was so surprised when she told me she was an Army sergeant. I couldn't believe it until she showed me her ID card, she is just too pretty and petite, she is not what I ever imagined an Army sergeant would look like. Anyway, she brought some of her guns with her and taught me the differences between a revolver and a pistol.

I think we make a fine fit, she is very patient with me, and I am willing to learn. Thank you all so much for all of your help.

Katie

Last edited by Lilith; 01-11-2009 at 9:22 PM..
Old 01-11-2009, 9:18 PM

Welcome home Katie.
"I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand." --Susan B. Anthony (1820-1906), speech in San Franscisco, July 1871

NRA Life Member