Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:00 PM

Default Recommended handgun dealers in Orange County (south)

I have been to some gun shops out of state that are Ma and Pa type shops and some that have a really nice and large selection. Is there anyone in Orange County (preferably south OC) that has a really good selection and service??

Thanks
Old 01-01-2009, 10:23 PM

Grant Boys in Costa Mesa has been there for years but is also a fishing, camping and general outdoors supply store. Their stock of guns is not huge but the staff is friendly, knowledgeable and won't give you an attitude if you're just looking.

Turner's (Fountain Valley in south OC or Kearny Mesa down by San Diego) seems to have the best stock on hand but I've heard too many negative stories about people being jerked around. Nothing specific and I've never had any bad experiences myself, but then again I usually know exactly what I want before I go there and any questions I ask are few and specific.

The Stockade in Westminster is a pure gun store with a tremendous inventory. The sales staff has always been polite to me but I've also heard negatives.

Finally, Ade's Gun Shop in Orange is considered by many to be the best place in the county. However, it is very small with a small inventory. Decent selection of popular and recommended makes/models, a small case of consignments and a very helpful staff. Their prices put them over the top for me. I usually do my research first, then check with them on price.

Hope this helps. Happy shopping.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

Turner's Fountain Valley in south OC...

I never get any good service from the gun dept.
They look at me like I want to hit them up for a loan.
Don't bother with them.

And if you have been around awhile.
and been to the valley.

B&B guns of the late 80's and early 90's....
AS$&OLES...for customer service
There GONE
Old 01-02-2009, 10:56 AM

bought from turner's twice and had ok experiences, kinda depends on which employee you deal with. some of them do give you attitude so i just go to the one i know.

did one transfer and one purchase at Ade's. absolutely the best place ive been to; helpful and friendly attitude, great prices (turners' "sales" are generally ade's basic prices) and fast service. definitely recommend ade's over all others.
Old 01-02-2009, 5:17 PM

Ade's is great. The big shop up that way (Fowler's) is just across the street and down about a block from Ade's. They have a big selection. Further South, there aren't too many places I know of. Elite is off Crown Valley and the 5 freeway. Just across the road is Saddleback Valley Gun, but there have been some negative posts regarding new owner (although he's never been a problem to me). Down off Avery and the 5 freeway is On-Target, a range with good folks and some decent inventory.

Good luck.
Old 01-02-2009, 7:59 PM

I was at the FV Turner's today to pick up some ammo and noticed the handgun selection was pretty thin for some reason.

Check out The Stockade in Westminster. As noted by another poster, they are a guns-only store with an extensive selection. I would estimate they have 3x the selection of Turners for handguns and 5x the long arms.

I heard the negatives about The Stockade and was hesitant to go there when I was 1911 shopping. I went in there 3 separate times to look at 1911's and was courteously and professionally helped each time.
Old 01-02-2009, 9:12 PM

Ade's staff are friendly and knowledgeable. They have most of the popular makes and models. <- My gun store of choice.

Grant's Boys are pretty good too. But there prices are a little on the higher side.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:58 PM

Thanks guys. I was trying to find a dealer for my dad. He ended up going to On-Target since it was so close. I think he has been back a second time and now plans on purchasing a gun there. He said he was treated very well there. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2009, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodH View Post
Thanks guys. I was trying to find a dealer for my dad. He ended up going to On-Target since it was so close. I think he has been back a second time and now plans on purchasing a gun there. He said he was treated very well there. Thanks.
Glad to hear he had a good experience. I shoot there all the time - they're good people.