Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:43 AM

Default Cleaning Brass - Help

I have a Dillion CV-500 with corn cob media. On average how long does it take to clean a batch of brass. I fill the bowl up 1/2 way up with 9mm brass and then place the media in it and away it goes. Some times it take 6 hours to get a shiny finish, but when I inspect the brass there are still"carbon and dirty makes" so I let it run for another 3-4 hours, and things are good. Question - is that normal? Also there is a band of black dried goo the has coated the outer diameter within the bowl. I need some wisdom and help, please.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Once fired brass extremely dirty only takes me about 4 hours and it comes out looking like new in my Dillon CV-500. and sometimes I have let it tumble overnight. Look at the chart for 9mm brass, I think that you only can place like 500 pieces per session.

Are you adding the Dillon polish stuff? Looks like purple in color. If you are not, then that is your problem. If you are not adding polish to your media then you are not going to get that shiny look on your brass.

Once the corn cob turns gray in color and you get them black bands inside of your tumbler, it is time to change the media and clean the inside bowl of your tumbler with a moist rag/paper towel and add new media + polish. Let the polish tumble with the media for about 10 - 20 minutes. Go to the Dillon website and it should tell you all this stuff.
I think most folks bubba their AR's because they watch too many action movies, play too many video games and don't understand how to socialize properly, so they fantasize about being 'action hero's'. Kind of like little girls playing dress-up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas711 View Post
Is everybody stocking up on guys now? Just curious some gun prices seem to be getting high.

Last edited by USN CHIEF; 12-27-2008 at 12:06 PM..
Old 12-27-2008, 12:04 PM
Calguns Addict

I use untreated crushed walnut shell from a local bird supply store. I then add Nu-Finish and a little mineral spirits. 2-3 hours is good enough to clean/polish.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 12-27-2008, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
I use untreated crushed walnut shell from a local bird supply store. I then add Nu-Finish and a little mineral spirits. 2-3 hours is good enough to clean/polish.
+1 on the Nu Finish car polish and pet store walnut media. My last batch of once fired brass polished to a very nice shine in about 1.5 hours total time. Usually it's less, but I actually forgot I was running a batch.

Advice. Get some Walnut media at Petco, add the proper amount to the tumbler, dump in a couple caps full of Nu Finish and let it tumble with no brass for 15 mins or so. I use a chopstick to stir up the media and make sure no polish has caked on the bottom of the tumbler bowl. Use your fingers to break up any clumps. Dump in your brass and tumble. It'll look like new in no time.
Old 12-27-2008, 7:16 PM

Clean media and some case polish in the mix - an hour.

I dump my brass into the bowl and start cleaning my firearms and by the time I'm done the brass is shiny new.

Older media takes longer to do the work. I like the Dillon case polish too.

Brasso has ammonia which is not good for brass, but having used it I can't say it ever hurt my brass.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Banned

Using old crushed walnut, a fresh cap of dillon's case polishing solution, and making the tumbler pretty full with brass, I get quick good results in about an hour.
Have more brass in the tub accelerates the cleaning process as the media is caught between cases. A case just floating mostly free / surrounded by media doesn't get clean anywhere near as fast. Don't bother trying to clean in small lots.

There is absolutely no reason to run it for several hours or even overnight, nor any reason to attempt to make the cases pristine or unblemished. Just get the carbon out and make the outside smooth so it feeds properly. That's it. Anything else is OCD and a waste of money and time.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:57 PM
Calguns Addict

You may also look into ultrasonic cleaning, another option that works well for me.
Old 12-28-2008, 4:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Just add some Lyman "tufnut" to your walnut media as it contains jewelers rouge and abrades away the carbon in no time.
Old 12-28-2008, 7:49 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayra View Post
Using old crushed walnut, a fresh cap of dillon's case polishing solution, and making the tumbler pretty full with brass, I get quick good results in about an hour.
Have more brass in the tub accelerates the cleaning process as the media is caught between cases. A case just floating mostly free / surrounded by media doesn't get clean anywhere near as fast. Don't bother trying to clean in small lots.

There is absolutely no reason to run it for several hours or even overnight, nor any reason to attempt to make the cases pristine or unblemished. Just get the carbon out and make the outside smooth so it feeds properly. That's it. Anything else is OCD and a waste of money and time.
Seems like the line between effective preparation and OCD is often crossed in reloading. As a new reloader, I appreciate it when sometime lets me know when something is just a waste of time and unecessary.

Last edited by Teletiger7; 12-28-2008 at 7:53 AM..
Old 12-28-2008, 9:16 AM

I always wondered. For Ar-15 reloaders.. What if you drop you bolt carrier and head inside to tumble as well? would it clean it nicely?
Old 12-28-2008, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

I use walnut media and add about 3 tbs of baking soda. I also size and de-prime then put them in (it seems to clean the primer pockets)
Old 12-28-2008, 11:11 AM
Calguns Addict

change your media when it get's too dirty. adding walnut media for heavy duty cleaning helps. also the dillon rapid polisher works very well.

i use pet store corn media. super cheap and it works very well.
Old 12-28-2008, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwong View Post
I have a Dillion CV-500 with corn cob media. On average how long does it take to clean a batch of brass. I fill the bowl up 1/2 way up with 9mm brass and then place the media in it and away it goes. Some times it take 6 hours to get a shiny finish, but when I inspect the brass there are still"carbon and dirty makes" so I let it run for another 3-4 hours, and things are good. Question - is that normal? Also there is a band of black dried goo the has coated the outer diameter within the bowl. I need some wisdom and help, please.
Corn cob media does not work as well as walnut.

You need to add grit of some sort, such as some polishes have.

Add some strips of paper towel and a few caps of mineral spirits.

I would not get real obsessed with making it pretty. Just get the crud out and forget about pretty.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old 12-28-2008, 2:04 PM

Also,

Save your old dryer sheets and cut them into squares/rectangles. I usually cut them into 8th's.

Add with a couple of pieces of paper towel about the same size. I find the dryer sheets help to keep the media cleaner and keep the dust down.

-Duct tape is like The Force. It has a dark side. It has a light side.
Used correctly, it holds the universe together. Used
incorrectly, it sticks your cat to the wall. -
Old 12-28-2008, 2:21 PM

i've tried to size and deprime my brass, but always seem to get bits of media in the primer pocket. any way to prevent getting that stuck, or do i just have to dig it out with a safety pin?
Old 12-28-2008, 2:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshaw54 View Post
i've tried to size and deprime my brass, but always seem to get bits of media in the primer pocket. any way to prevent getting that stuck, or do i just have to dig it out with a safety pin?
Sure, put some Duck Tape on both ends of each piece of brass

No, but seriously, there really is not a way to prevent it. You can get a universal decaping pin and use that on your station one when you are ready to reload to knock out the media from the primer Pocket.
I think most folks bubba their AR's because they watch too many action movies, play too many video games and don't understand how to socialize properly, so they fantasize about being 'action hero's'. Kind of like little girls playing dress-up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas711 View Post
Is everybody stocking up on guys now? Just curious some gun prices seem to be getting high.
Old 12-28-2008, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbob View Post
Corn cob media does not work as well as walnut.
Woa - what?

I always thought corn cob media was more abrasive than walnut.

:scratches head:
Old 12-28-2008, 6:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budd View Post
Woa - what?

I always thought corn cob media was more abrasive than walnut.

:scratches head:
Quite the opposite.
Old 12-28-2008, 7:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletiger7 View Post
Seems like the line between effective preparation and OCD is often crossed in reloading. As a new reloader, I appreciate it when sometime lets me know when something is just a waste of time and unecessary.
Indeed. +1 to Rayra. I can't stand these OCD guys who make things that are more complicated that they need to be.

Rayra, tell him about those guys that tumble their brass like 4 times just for one loading sequence whereas you only tumble twice.

Last edited by Army GI; 12-28-2008 at 7:11 PM..
Old 12-28-2008, 7:26 PM
Calguns Addict

I tumble 3 times,once in walnut,next in corn and the final in old socks to take the lube off after they are sized.
Old 12-28-2008, 7:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunwolf View Post
I tumble 3 times,once in walnut,next in corn and the final in old socks to take the lube off after they are sized.
Does your brass smell funny?
Couldn't resist....
Don't use any polish with ammonia in it. It weakens the brass.
I like the Nu finish and shiny brass. I still use corn cobb and it does take awhile. Switching to a 50/50 mix walnut and cobb when I get around to it.
I use a pick from what else? A nutcracker set. To clean the media from the pockets, It's easy to hold on to and nice and sharp. You'll find other uses for it too. Guess an ice pick would work also.

The DOJ knows that two guys with semi autos that have a folding or collapsable stock, or pistol grip could take out California's entire police force, SWAT, and the National Guard. Jeeze, that pistol grip and stock are really dangerous...

Last edited by diginit; 12-28-2008 at 7:45 PM..
Old 12-28-2008, 11:36 PM

Thank You all for the info. If you have What does the old dryer sheets and paper do??
Old 12-29-2008, 12:25 AM

The dryer sheets help prolong the life of the media. They absorb a lot of powder, carbon, and other junk.
Old 12-29-2008, 6:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by diginit View Post
Does your brass smell funny?
Couldn't resist....
Don't use any polish with ammonia in it. It weakens the brass.
I like the Nu finish and shiny brass. I still use corn cobb and it does take awhile. Switching to a 50/50 mix walnut and cobb when I get around to it.
I use a pick from what else? A nutcracker set. To clean the media from the pockets, It's easy to hold on to and nice and sharp. You'll find other uses for it too. Guess an ice pick would work also.
Nope,clean old socks with golf balls tied in them!
Old 12-29-2008, 8:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletiger7 View Post
Seems like the line between effective preparation and OCD is often crossed in reloading.
So you have spent 10 minutes crawling on hands and knees to find that 50th piece of brass too?

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 12-29-2008, 8:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by USN CHIEF View Post
You can get a universal decaping pin and use that on your station one when you are ready to reload to knock out the media from the primer Pocket.
Some people still reload on single stage presses.

Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Old 12-29-2008, 2:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Some people still reload on single stage presses.
I have it on good authority that AR15barrels owns and operates at least on single stage press! I'm assuming this based on the fact that I've never heard him mention that he owns a Hollywood progressive press yet, he does reload 50BMGs. So, it's safe to say that he loads them with a single stage press.
Old 12-29-2008, 3:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
I have it on good authority that AR15barrels owns and operates at least on single stage press! I'm assuming this based on the fact that I've never heard him mention that he owns a Hollywood progressive press yet, he does reload 50BMGs. So, it's safe to say that he loads them with a single stage press.
I have 4 single stage presses, a turret press and an arbor press.

And I'm in the market for a big hollywood.
This lee classic cast is WAY too short to really load 50...

Old 01-01-2009, 6:28 PM

How is this? 50/50 mix of Corn/Walnut, with paper and a used dryer sheet and nu - finish.

The walnut I saw at Petco is fine, not like the corn which is course in apperance.
Old 01-01-2009, 6:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwong View Post
The walnut I saw at Petco is fine, not like the corn which is course in apperance.
No matter if it's walnut or corn, you want the granules to be no larger than a 1/16" cube.
The smaller the better.
A lot of the corn cobs I see are like 1/8" cubes and they won't go inside or come back out of rifle cases very well.

Also, do you really need the brass cleaner than this?

That's JUST walnut treated with 3M rubbing compound.

Old 01-01-2009, 7:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Ain't nothing wrong with a single stage. I use a Rockchucker for all my rifle stuff (using a Hornady lock-n-load bushing). I have a Redding T-7, but that's setup with my 9mm and .45 ACP dies (and Lee universal decapping die).

As far as additive to naked walnut shell, I use mineral spirits and Nu-Finish, but I've found mineral spirits will get the same shine, just in a longer amount of time (extra couple of hours).

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations