Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:01 AM

Default transporting CA legal AR15

I was just checking the DOJ website for info, and I assume a CA legal AR15, would just fall under the shotguns & rifles secion? am I correct?

Traveling with Firearms in California
HANDGUNS
California Penal Code section 12025 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.

SHOTGUNS AND RIFLES
Nonconcealable firearms (rifles and shotguns) are not generally covered within the provisions of California Penal Code section 12025 and therefore are not required to be transported in a locked container. However, as with any firearm, nonconcealable firearms must be unloaded while they are being transported. A rifle or shotgun that is defined as an assault weapon pursuant to Penal Code 12276 or 12276.1 must be transported in accordance with Penal Code section 12026.1.

REGISTERED ASSAULT WEAPONS
California Penal Code section 12285(c)(7) requires that registered assault weapons may be transported only between specified locations and must be unloaded and in a locked container when transported.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:03 AM
Calguns Addict

If it's an OLL then it's just as any other rifle.

Throw it in the back seat...trunk...wherever just as long as it's not loaded.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

A non AW is just a rifle. All you need to do is make sure it is unloaded.

-ene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 12-27-2008, 11:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
A non AW is just a rifle. All you need to do is make sure it is unloaded.

-ene
Must of beat ya by a second
Old 12-27-2008, 11:09 AM

thanks guys, that's what I figured... just wanted to double check
Old 12-27-2008, 11:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Always best to keep it in the trunk, up to you as to whether or not you want to lock the trigger or run a lock through the magwell to the bolt assembly <--- n00b still so don't flame me

-Gio
Old 12-27-2008, 11:23 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio View Post
Always best to keep it in the trunk, up to you as to whether or not you want to lock the trigger or run a lock through the magwell to the bolt assembly <--- n00b still so don't flame me

-Gio
yeesh you are a NooB

ETA: dont waste your time locking and hiding your rifles when transporting
also just in case you were unaware those locks they make you buy are not secure containers and are not sufficient for handguns

Last edited by sorensen440; 12-27-2008 at 11:27 AM..
Old 12-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

Be aware of the school zones. Other than that a OLL is just another long gun which you can open carry, conceal or whatever you want.
Originally Posted by forumguy View Post
The same way they enforce all the rest of the BS laws. Only criminals are exempt, while the honest obey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Sometimes I think the function of Calguns is half to refute bad info from gunshops and half to refute bad info from DOJ.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:36 AM
Banned

Well legally it's a non-issue, but I always put gun locks on my rifles just in case I run into a young LEO that is clueless. There's too many cases of LEO's not knowing the law, and the interpretation of the law. Better safe than sorry is my motto....
Old 12-27-2008, 11:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow_Wilson View Post
Well legally it's a non-issue, but I always put gun locks on my rifles just in case I run into a young LEO that is clueless. There's too many cases of LEO's not knowing the law, and the interpretation of the law. Better safe than sorry is my motto....
I agree with that. Cops generally get super uptight when they run into a civilian with guns.
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in an empty pile of brass.
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gif
NRA Member
Old 12-27-2008, 12:00 PM

I put a trigger lock on so if I have any kids in the trunk they will not start shooting through the seats.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Funny.... that's exactly why I DO NOT lock my long guns while transporting. Better safe than sorry.

"One person can make a difference.... but sometimes they shouldn't".
~ Marge Simpson

Old 12-27-2008, 12:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleegman View Post
Funny.... that's exactly why I DO NOT lock my long guns while transporting. Better safe than sorry.
Yes. Same here. I hope I'll run into an idiot cop and charge him with unlawful arrest and sue the PD and the city so they don't harass people again.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleegman View Post
What do you mean by that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobs11 View Post
Yes. Same here. I hope I'll run into an idiot cop and charge him with unlawful arrest and sue the PD and the city so they don't harass people again.
Good plan!

Last edited by stuntdummy; 12-27-2008 at 12:26 PM..
Old 12-27-2008, 8:29 PM

Quote:
=stuntdummy;1827511]What do you mean by that?
I have a fire extinguisher in my car, it is also a tool which serves an emergency purpose. I'm not inclined to place locks on it to hinder putting it to rapid use if needed. That's what I mean.

"One person can make a difference.... but sometimes they shouldn't".
~ Marge Simpson

Old 12-27-2008, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I agree with that. Cops generally get super uptight when they run into a civilian with guns.
With good reason too...from their point of view, they don't know you or what your intentions are. Someone I know got pulled over with an unloaded shotgun in his back seat. He didn't get into trouble but was asked to step out of his car for some questions. I'd rather just save all that trouble and leave it in the trunk in a carry bag, ammunition in a locked container.
Old 12-27-2008, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio View Post

-Gio
I hear you but in my eyes it's much easier to explain a 'fixed' mag 'AR' if there's a magazine in the well. I always keep an empty mag in my 'AR'.

If at all possible keep your firearms/cases out of sight(not recognizable as a gun/gun case) when in your car. Nothing good can come from a LEO noticing your gun case in the back seat even if you're transporting legally.

Last edited by SKG19; 12-27-2008 at 9:25 PM..