Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 12-27-2008, 7:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default most COMFORTABLE ear protection??

Does anybody have any advise on comfortable ear protection?? Righ now I am using Howard Leight/Impact Sports with sound amplify(the OD green one).
After a couple of hours with them on they are not very comfortable. At a few gun shows I have seen people put the colored mix in there ear to make custom ones. Has anyone used these??? Do they protect your ears enough if you are shooting .50?? Thanks for any input.
Old 12-27-2008, 7:53 AM

Comfort is an indivigual assesment, but the most comfortable that I have used have hand gel in the padding witch surrond the ears.

The custom formed are very nice, but should be used in tandom with ear muffs when shooting extremly loud weapons.

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."
Old 12-27-2008, 9:10 AM

Outdoors, I use the Peltor Shotgunners. Indoors, I use the Shotgunners and Surefire EP 3 Sonic Defenders.

The Shotgunners are very comfortable, very low profile, and are comfortable to wear for long periods of time. They even keep your ears warm when it's cold outside

The Sonic Defenders work great also. They don't make your ears sore like most plugs will.

I bought my Shotgunners from Midway USA for $11.

Semper Fidelis
Old 12-27-2008, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

I've had my custom formed plugs for over 10 years. Very comfortable. I use them when shooting scoped rifles or shooting pistols outdoors. They aren't enough protection for shooting indoors because much of the sound is conducted via bone.

My electronic muffs are made by Bilsom in Sweden. They bottom portion of the muff is relieved for shooting rifles and shotguns, but they still get in the way some of the time. They are idea for shooting pistols.

If I'm shooting next to something really loud, I double plug. The only 50 cal. I've ever shot was a Browning M2 "Ma Deuce" and noise isn't a big issue because your head isn't resting on the action. Imagine if it was!

Randy
NRA Life Member
Old 12-27-2008, 10:04 AM

i just got a pair of peltor tactical sports for x mas. they are extremely comfortable compared to my howard leights

better sound reduction too
Old 12-27-2008, 10:06 AM
Calguns Addict

The disposables like these are actually really good:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=194162

The only issue with disposables like the ones above is if you take your plugs in and out frequently at the range. Then you have to roll them up again and reinsert them into the ear canal and wait until they expand again.

The custom made ones you cited are pretty good from what all my shooting friends indicate who own them. It will basically muffle sound to the point where you can't hear people talk.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 12-27-2008, 11:24 AM

i use the molded ones, they work very well, just as good if not better than muffs, but i use them with muffs because im already part way deaf from bumpfiring w/o ear protection
Old 12-27-2008, 2:02 PM

I use only peltors. Peltor Tac 6 if I'm wearing a helmet.
Old 12-27-2008, 3:27 PM

I use my Shure E2C. It's actually an earphone for your mp3 player but it does a great job of blocking out external noise.
Old 12-27-2008, 4:14 PM

where I work they have been testing the custom foam vs the standard disposable foam. They found that the standard disposable plugs actually work better at blocking out the noise. As comfort goes the custom plugs start to irritate my ears after prolonged use but I do work twelve hour shifts.

Last edited by st66f100; 12-27-2008 at 4:18 PM..
Old 12-27-2008, 9:55 PM

I am so glad this was posted as I went shooting the day after Christmas and pretty much lost my hearing in my right ear and most of my hearing in the left ear. The disposable plugs I was using would just not seat well enough in my ears. I don't really like the bulkiness of the earmuff style, but if that's what I gotta do then that's what I will be doing. If all I need is a few hours worth of comfort, do any of your opinions expand out a bit, or are the choices you posted the only ones you would readily recommend? A full day later my right ear has about 10% of its hearing back and my left is about 75% back to normal. As long as it all comes back I will still consider it an awesome day at the range. I will be looking into your recommendations FOR SURE.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:59 AM
Calguns Addict

New Peltor NO TOUCH plugs

The plastic center make it all GREAT and no need to squeeze the plug to stuck it into your ear.

New to Calguns, check here first:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=56818
Old 12-28-2008, 10:45 AM

i've used the disposable and ear muffs. I have some really good muffs too. But the molded ear plugs work the best by far. But they'll have you talking really loudly at everyone at the range.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

MSA Sordin Supreme Pro IV are the most comfortable ears I have ever used.

http://www.csuk.us/sup_pro4.php#cutoff

Old 12-28-2008, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

The best noise reduction rating for any of the popular heaing protection types goes to the foam earplugs, which can by found in a NRR 33 rating.
This is what I use when shooting my .50BMG, with other .50 shooters on either side of me, all with big muzzle brakes on their rifles.

Everything gets uncomfortable after too long, I wear foam plugs at work most of the time, the 4 hours of a shooting session are nothing in comparison.
Old 12-28-2008, 6:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I take hearing protection seriously as I already have significant hearing loss and want to keep what I have left. My favorite are the ones custom made at gunshows. I'm a pilot and when I fly my headset has to keep the noise out and the radio transmissions sealed in so I can hear. It became obvious that wearing glasses interfere with the seal of the earcups. That's why I use the custom made plugs for shooting. If the noise is too intense I can wear the muffs most guys use in addition to my custom plugs. I have read a lot of research on the material used on the material used in the earcup seals on headsets and while silicone is comfortable the high quality foam material is said to conform better to the shape required for sealing out noise. I also have some flip up glasses that mount on the brim of my ball cap so the temple pieces don't interfere with the earcups of the headsets. I wear the sonic defenders around heavy machinery noise with the little plugs left open so I can hear warning buzzers etc.
Old 12-28-2008, 8:20 PM
Veteran Member

An audiologist stops by our drum shop once a year and takes measurements for custom ear plugs molded to fit people's ears. The plug has a special attenuator that goes down the center of the plug. It cuts all sounds down to below a certain, comfortable and safe dB level, which allows the drummer to hear the loud rock-concert music around him/her as well as regular conversation, just at a much lower level.

They work great--I didn't get custom ones made, but the audiologist let us try the attenuators, and they're really, really cool. Better than electronic muffs in many ways, though you won't hear a quiet talker very well.

Any audiologist should be able to make you a custom earplug--this is pretty much the one "drug" they prescribe.
Old 12-28-2008, 8:25 PM

Well, I have tried a few different setups. I don't have lots of cash, so I can't comment on the really cool (but $$$y) over the ear electronic stuff.

I found the Surefire plugs to be more comfortable than normal foam... for 10 or so shooting sessions. The problem is that they are still inside the ear and at $10 a pop, they're not really disposable (to me anyway). You can clean them with rubbing alcohol, but the silicon eventually wears out and becomes uncomfortable.

My favorite are the cheapo disposable ones. I buy them in big contractor packs from Home Depot for $15 (I think 100 or 150 plugs). They are a mix of orange and purple. This way I just throw a few in my back pocket and use and toss em. I don't think about it much. If they get uncomfortable, just replace em.

The only thing is it helps to clean your ears first. You also have to make sure you roll them up and insert them right. These are the best hearing protection I have found as new ones are always more comfortable than older snazzy ones (for me anyways), and I always have new ones.

You also have plenty of spares for when you take others out to go shooting.

hth,
-Pete
Old 12-28-2008, 11:04 PM

I find the most comfortable are disposable ear plugs. I normally wear my electronic muffs when at the range to hear other things. Make sure you double up when shooting big caliber rifles (esp 50cal). A few times the stock on my 50 knocked my ear muffs a bit and my ears were ringing big time
Old 12-29-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
The disposables like these are actually really good:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=194162

The only issue with disposables like the ones above is if you take your plugs in and out frequently at the range. Then you have to roll them up again and reinsert them into the ear canal and wait until they expand again.

The custom made ones you cited are pretty good from what all my shooting friends indicate who own them. It will basically muffle sound to the point where you can't hear people talk.
I use the Leight Plugs also, very comfortable and effective. It works with large caliber guns very well.
Orange CA 92869
714-532-4867
T - F (11 - 7pm) Sat (10 - 5pm) - closed Sun & Mon
Old 12-29-2008, 12:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinla View Post
Does anybody have any advise on comfortable ear protection?? Righ now I am using Howard Leight/Impact Sports with sound amplify(the OD green one).
After a couple of hours with them on they are not very comfortable.
They don't make gel inserts for the HLs?