Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns > Handguns Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Handguns Gallery Post your pictures of your favorite sidearm here.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:06 PM

Cool New To Me S&W 645

This is my first hangun that's younger than me. Appears to be born in 1987 and never fired. I go it new-in-box from an estate. The plastic grips didn't thrill me so some Pachmayr panels when on order a the beginning of the 10 day wait and went on at the end of the wait.

Big gun and heavy. Can't wait to shoot it this weekend!

Old 12-24-2008, 7:43 AM

Looks great!... Ive heard people getting deals at "Estate Sales" but ive never come across one...

Good snag though and the Pachmayr's are very nice! Congrats

JOe
Old 01-14-2009, 11:51 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I hope you enjoy yours. Perhaps they improved in late 80s.

I had an early 1980s one that I was not happy with. I believe early 80s were not kind to S&W QC.

However I'd LOVE to get my hands on a 3rd Gen 4506 (and will be doing so soon): I have its brother, the 1006 in 10mm and love it.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
However I'd LOVE to get my hands on a 3rd Gen 4506 (and will be doing so soon):
I am shopping for one too, but it's gotta have the big adjustable sights and the squared trigger guard. They only seem to appear on gunbroker in small waves every 8 months....I've already let a couple slip away.

--Neill
Old 01-14-2009, 12:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman View Post
I am shopping for one too, but it's gotta have the big adjustable sights and the squared trigger guard. They only seem to appear on gunbroker in small waves every 8 months... I've already let a couple slip away.
I *love* those big shielded adjustable sights.

The 4506 is Rostered, but the 4506-1 is not. I like the rounded trigger guards myself.

IIRC, the plain 4506 (not the "-1" version) came in both triggerguard flavors, with squared ones earlier production. (Which leads to interesting Rostering issues.)

The first guy I NRF may be the 4506-1.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

Old 01-14-2009, 4:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
IIRC, the plain 4506 (not the "-1" version) came in both triggerguard flavors, with squared ones earlier production. (Which leads to interesting Rostering issues.)
Even more interesting -- I believe that there were "transitional" trigger guards that were sort of square and sort of rounded, all within the -nodash revision of the 4506.

Quote:
The first guy I NRF may be the 4506-1.
Not a bad choice -- mine will be a 10mm -- either a 1006, or perhaps a one of the new Colt Deltas in 10mm

--Neill
Old 09-18-2009, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman View Post
I am shopping for one too, but it's gotta have the big adjustable sights and the squared trigger guard. They only seem to appear on gunbroker in small waves every 8 months....I've already let a couple slip away.

--Neill

Neill, I wish I knew you were looking for a 645. I sold this one earlier this year.
Dang!

*** In comparing the virtues of various calibers, using hollow point ammo: it is absolutely undeniable that, while a 9 mm or .40 S&W may or may not expand, a .45 will never shrink. ***

***Mature Up***
Old 09-18-2009, 11:13 PM
A Garage in Canoga Park
CGN Contributor

I have a 4506-1. The trigger guard seems to be a cross between the square and rounded. What's the big issue with the square trigger guard that some people are looking for? Target shooting, I can see from a control stand point. But what I don't see it as a plus for duty sidearm or concealed carry. It would seem to me that it's a good bet that you would get snagged by a shirt or jacket very easy just by looking at it. I've never handled a first or second gen. -g
Old 09-20-2009, 6:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Nice 645. I have an 80's vintage S&W 459 (9mm) and it is one of the most reliable autos I have ever owned. 5000 rounds through it over the years without a single FTE/FTF. S&W autos are some of the most underrated autos, in my opinion.
Old 09-20-2009, 7:48 PM

Very nice, Reminds me of the last time I almost got a speeding ticket. I was coming from work Camp San Luis Obispo and Driving home to Santa Cruz "Pleasure Point" at that time, I got pulled over for doing 90 mph through soledad, CHP pulled me over, he gave me a warning because of my Uniform. He carried a S&W 9mm, we talked more about firearm's than we talked about my speeding ticket.
2 Beretta M9's, 92FS, Ruger P94 9mm, 2 Ruger P345's, Ruger SS GP100 .357, Sig 229 .40, Glock 19, Glock 22c, Glock 32, 2 Mossberg 500's,1903 Springfield 30-06, Sig 556 SCM 5.56x45, Savage .308,1 Stag/CAR-A2,1 R.R.A Elite Comp A4, Ruger M77 .223, 2 Ruger 10/22's, Ready to build another "AR" and Looking for a Nice SKS!!!

Last edited by M9er; 09-20-2009 at 7:50 PM.. Reason: ah, doo doo
Old 09-20-2009, 7:58 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

I've got a 915, 4506, and 4006. Love them!

Fascist pig....
Old 10-05-2009, 11:44 PM

Default My 4506

Gotta love those 645s, I never cared much for Smith & Wesson autos until I got my hands on one. Here's my latest purchase, I dig the squared trigger guard and big *** adjustable sights. Gonna strip her down, replace all springs then make some fat holes in some poor targets!

Old 10-05-2009, 11:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

OCGuy,

Your gun is not a 645, it's a "transitional" 4506.

If you ever wanna sell it lemme know.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

Old 10-05-2009, 11:58 PM

Yeah, I know, look at my post, it's titled "My 4506". It's the model that came after the 645. Mine is the most like the 645 cause it has the squared trigger guard and all stainless parts. Later S&W rounded the trigger guard and added blued parts, etc. I just picked this up, so don't think I'll be selling it soon. Love running around the house pretending to be Vic Mackey from the Shield or Denzel in Training Day or Keeanu in Street Kings....just kidding...not really...
Old 10-06-2009, 12:17 AM
Calguns Addict

4506 no dash were available in both the adjustable and a Novak styled fixed sight version. When I bought mine new there was one of each side by side in the case and I chose the adjustable. It was intended to be an on duty holster gun, so I figured why not the adjustable sights. Even a fairly big guy like me wouldn't want to carry one around concealed all day and I'd be honestly impressed with anyone who did.

S&W started phasing out the squared off trigger guard not long before 4506 went to -1 so no dash examples definitely do exist with the rounded TG. I've seen a couple and to me it's apples and oranges.

Here's my 4506 with the slide polished out and the frame left matte.

ETA: One thing on the 645 is that, like all Gen 1 and Gen 2 S&W autos, if you happen to drop it with the hammer down on a loaded chamber, even with the safety on, and it lands on or near the hammer, there is a distinct chance they will go "boom". I am aware of one such discharge that happened in a LEA locker room. It was enough of an issue that that S&W changed/fixed it with the Gen 3 guns.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison

Last edited by BigDogatPlay; 10-06-2009 at 12:22 AM..
Old 10-13-2009, 8:01 AM

Here's mine....

Old 10-14-2009, 8:09 AM

I had picked up an early 645 new in box for $250. Felt good in my hand but could never hit anything with it. Next stop was a Kimber and while not as comfortable I can shoot it much better. Enjoy OP

I dunno, I've never been much for guns. I mean, sure, we have the usual gun by the door, another near the TV, one in the kitchen, and another in the bedroom...and several others laying around. For the most part though, we keep our home free of guns. We are peace loving folks.
Old 01-09-2010, 2:16 PM

First picked up my 645 in 1988. Wanted a 1911, but they were so expensive back then. And this was a 2nd generation semi-auto from S&W for probably a couple of hundred less.

I've definitely learned to love this gun. It's been ultra reliable, feels great in the hand, and has a good feel when shooting.

Except for a few scratches on the slide, the thing still looks virtually brand new. All I can say is, if you have an opportunity to pick up one of these 645s cheap, DO IT!