Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 12-23-2008, 1:38 PM
CalGuns Truth Squad
CGN Contributor

Default New Navy Uniforms

Has the Navy gone to these yet? What do you guys think of 'em? Will enlisted still wear crackerjacks?

http://www.new-navy-uniform.com/picture-nwu.html

Old 12-23-2008, 1:45 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
Has the Navy gone to these yet? What do you guys think of 'em? Will enlisted still wear crackerjacks?

http://www.new-navy-uniform.com/picture-nwu.html
I have seen some wearing then both at Camp Lejeune and various places on the West Coast. I am Marine Corps regs with a Marine Corps BN, so wear the Marine Corps cammies or alpha's. Still wear the crackerjacks to the MC Ball though.

These replace the working uniforms, so do not affect the Navy dress uniforms.

Pretty funny that they didn't roll the sleeves properly in the photo middle left. Gunny rolls!
Defensive Medicine (Oh S#!t, I Think I've Been Shot!):
Livermore, CA - May 22, 2016
Defensive Medicine (Oh S#!t, I Think I've Been Shot!):
Sacramento, CA - June 25, 2016
Multi State CCW Instructor - Next class:
Old 12-23-2008, 1:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Enlisted still have the white crackerjacks it seems.

I still have sets of blues and whites in my closet

One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 12-23-2008, 2:24 PM
Banned

You gotta love the gold stitching on the higher enlisted and officers BDU's. Those uniforms are even worse than our new USAF uniforms. Do these still have the names stitched on the buttock area so these seamen can tell who they have had/want to have next (i mean for doing laundry)?
Old 12-23-2008, 4:41 PM

I remember being shown how to use dungarees as emergency flotaion devices. How are you supposed to get these off over you flightdeck boots if you end up in the drink?
Old 12-23-2008, 5:39 PM

Yeah, that's what I want to be wearing if I fall overboard, a uniform that blends in with the ocean.

Even that doesn't bother me as much as the new Class B's:

The female on the right, and the male in the lower right. Those are Marine uniforms!!!!!!! Not Navy! Good grief!

Whoever approved these uniform changes should be keel-hauled! Dumbass!
Old 12-23-2008, 10:39 PM

Im sorry dont take this Navy guys as an insult , but shouldnt your cammo uniforms be battleship gray and have like portholes, and grills and life savers , pipes and stuff like that so you can blend in within the ship just put yourself up against the bulkhead. and if your duties require you to be outside, I tell to be honest I would want like a yellow rubber duckie cammo so they can find me real quick if I were to fall off the boat.

You should banish any thoughts of how you may appear to others.
Marcus Aurelius

"I won't be wronged, I wont be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
the "Duke" in the shootist
Old 12-23-2008, 10:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The dominant blue fatigues (non digital) look alot like the Turkish AF fatigues.......

Gustatus Similis Pullus
Old 12-23-2008, 11:49 PM
Well used Member
CGN Contributor

Please don't disparage the millions of dollars and countless man hours the DOD has spent trying to keep our sailors fashionable.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."--Plato
Old 12-24-2008, 1:57 AM

the coast guard's still look better.
Old 12-24-2008, 5:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

man the Navy got the short end of the stick with these new uniforms. if you fall overboard have a nice swim cause no one gonna be able to see you.

heaven forbid anyone is able to read someones name.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 12-24-2008, 2:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by taloft View Post
Please don't disparage the millions of dollars and countless man hours the DOD has spent trying to keep our sailors fashionable.
Sorry, I'm still recovering from the Air Force's new ABU's.....

Gustatus Similis Pullus
Old 12-24-2008, 4:24 PM

The uniform is more to make all the paint, grease, etc show up less than on the dungs or coveralls. Yeah, good luck if they fly Oscar because unless you have a strobe or smoke float you are SOL. The new khaki and black working uniform does make for easier uniform usage, etc. We still have the dress blues and summer whites. Give it 5 years and they will change it again. I still have my iron on crows and patch pocket dungs. Wouldnt be surprised if they come back.
Old 01-01-2009, 4:34 PM
Likes Puppy Chow or Ammo
CGN Contributor

my 2 cents.

all U.S wear the same working camo uniform. Either the desert camo or green based on your location.

Dress uniforms. Leave them traditional.

Oh yeah, and like someone else mentioned that guys sleeves look like crap!
Old 01-02-2009, 9:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Lots of uninformed opinions

The idea behind the cammies is to make the uniforms look cleaner and last longer because stains won't show as much and the heavy duty build resists wear better. As for blending in with the ocean if we fall overboard, you guys forget that we presently wear dark blue coveralls out to sea. Besides, anyone doing risky weather deck or topside work has to wear BRIGHT ORANGE flotation gear anyway.

As far as our new office duds with the khaki tops, I say it is about time. We are the only service where making senior NCO means something (7,8 and 9 are first name basis to us) unlike other branches where you're either an E9/First Sgt or you're a turd. While before, making Chief means throwing away EVERY UNIFORM the sailor has, the new working uniform allows the same sailor to keep at least half of it when he / she makes Chief.
Old 01-02-2009, 3:04 PM
Calguns Addict

ghey!
Old 01-02-2009, 7:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Yeah I wouldnt want to go overboard with that.
Speaking of new uniforms, anyone seen the new Army dress uniform? Makes a soldier look like a mix between a third world dictator and a mall ninja
Old 01-02-2009, 8:35 PM

Hahaha, those were just being "tested" out in the wild when I got out in late 2006. I had exactly one pair of the new uniforms at that point, not the camo ones, but the office worker looking ones. Wore my coveralls everywhere, and kept that for when I had to brief the SecNav or for super duper official functions. I too remember the teaching of using the dungarees as emergency flotation, I've still got a set of those in storage somewhere. Probably eaten by mice by now though .
Old 01-02-2009, 9:36 PM

Just promise it won't look like this.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:14 PM

Hey at least its not like the Coast Guard, where they again have decided to change our ODU's for a 3rd time in the last 8 years. oh well, we still look better
Old 01-12-2009, 8:07 PM

check the recent NAVADMIN on them. we will be rolling them the army way (GHEY!) when the USMC is apart of us I think we should roll them that way, besides that looks more squared away. really I would rather wear dungarees. those things were so much better then the ones we are wearing now.
- The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeanceand furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
Old 01-12-2009, 8:17 PM
Calguns Addict

LOL

"Why blue camo, it doesn't blend with anything but the ocean, and that's the last thing we want it to blend with?"

"Because it's the Navy."

"What if someone Flies Oscar?"

"Didn't you read the new regs? All sailors that will be or might be on deck in the new camo must wear these bright reflective jackets and over pants to cover the camo at all times"

"WTF"

"Because it's the Navy."

The troublemaker formerly known as Blackwater OPS.
Old 01-12-2009, 9:31 PM

Camo for sailors? That's just nuts.
Old 01-12-2009, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taloft View Post
Oh, you just have to get me started on these things don't you?

The NWU (or, as we call it, that d@*%ed camo thing) will be availible in the exchange in January 2010. They are replacing the current working uniform (which used to be called dungarees).

The "black & tans" replace the working blues and working white uniforms. That is a plus, but they look too close to Marine uniforms for my taste and it still throws me that they are wearing khaki shirts.

The "cracker jack" blues and whites are still around for the summer and winter dress uniforms, but rummor has it that blue pipping will be added to the whites like they used to have during WWII.

The dress khaki uniform for E-7 and above is still in the testing phase.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of every American... (T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
-Tenche Coxe, 1788
Old 01-13-2009, 8:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Paul, one quick correction on your picture: the final approved is the metal crows and no rockers, not the sew on crow on the sleeve.

that being said, I have worn my johnny cash's once and my working whites maybe a half dozen times (other than the three months I worked in a recruiters office, long story for another time). At least this is one less thing I have to keep in my seabag.

the cammies might look ghey to some of you, but I can tell you from experience that they are a HUGE improvement over the gas station "Utilities" we have now that are usually screwed up within the first 5 wearings, and the COC wants spotless and inspection ready at all times. and the cammies are much more comfortable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrage View Post
Over reaction to non-crimes by State loyalists. If they keep up their heavy handed crap, soon it'll be a better gamble to shoot at cops before they even start bothering you considering the amount of time they're willing to put you in prison for if you cooperate.

Seems like that pendulum is about to shift.
Is this your Calguns?

Old 01-13-2009, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermit315 View Post
usually screwed up within the first 5 wearings, and the COC wants spotless and inspection ready at all times. and the cammies are much more comfortable.
5? Try once. Countless times I have seen someone put that 76 gas station uniform on only to turn around and get paint, grease or something else on it before the hour was out. The Digi-Smurf camo is kinda ridiculous but it does a better job of hiding all the stains, paint, grease, etc than the coveralls or utes do. However I think it is funny to wear blue cammies on a haze gray ship. As for the working uniform I will miss the SS Waffen and Good Humor uniforms but rather have one type of year round uniform to worry about. As for the whites . . . that's just a magnet for dirt. I hate wearing the whites.
Old 01-13-2009, 8:52 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

I see no need to change the Navy uniform as it had a long and great history. Camo for serving on a ship and USMC copies. Hell if I was in the Navy id be pissed and just think of all the crap the Marines are going to give you. As a Marine I blame this on the Corps. When they changed to didgital cammo everyone wanted to change. What a waste of tax dollars.
http://www.oniva.com/upload/204/Signature_copy_small.jpg
In memory of my friend Officer Ryan Bonaminio Riverside PD. Gone but not forgotten.
Old 01-13-2009, 8:57 PM
Calguns Addict

you see no need for it because you dont/didnt have to wear the utilities.....you have no idea how bad they suck. ever since they changed from the dungarees, they sucked the big one. trust me.

I would have been happy wearing regular cammies like security/seabees, and our forward deployed/expeditionary guys do, but I will take what I can get, and do what I am told.
Quote:
Over reaction to non-crimes by State loyalists. If they keep up their heavy handed crap, soon it'll be a better gamble to shoot at cops before they even start bothering you considering the amount of time they're willing to put you in prison for if you cooperate.

Is this your Calguns?

Old 01-13-2009, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member

The cargo pockets will be a good thing for engineering/repair types. I know it would have saved me from dropping a lot of tools and sounding tapes out of my back pockets down escape trunks. Having said that, I still think they look fruity.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Looking at those just makes me glad I got out a long time ago! Of course, we *****ed when we went from dungarees to "patch pockets" (the pockets fell off on a regular basis) but were mostly happy (well, I was) when E-6s and below went from the CPO style dress uniforms back to crackerjacks. All in all, I think I have 7 different uniforms in my old seabag, counting the BDUs I wore when an MP at NAS Alameda. It's just another cycle, everybody'll get used to it. In a few years, there'll be another change, don't worry...

USN 1976-1986... and a couple of uniform changes
Old 01-14-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
the COC wants spotless and inspection ready at all times.
Uh, don't think for a moment that that won't continue to be the standard. At least in my division.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of every American... (T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
-Tenche Coxe, 1788
Old 01-14-2009, 3:24 PM

Yeah, they'll have an inspection then run a fire drill with full FFE and make you run charged hoses. We used to have a Divo and a Weps that wanted a uniform inspection ready at all times. we just at them. They were usually new to shipboard assignments on combat ships. Our CO had a talk with them and that crap stopped.
Old 01-14-2009, 4:01 PM

I really don't want this do devolve into a thread on the minute of the uniform regs, but realise this: no matter how much they claim that you can have paint/grease/dirt on these uniforms because it will be camo'd by the pattern they are feeding you a line. I don't know any Chief who would allow you to show up to quarters (much less a personnel inspection) in a uniform that was dirty/painted/covered in grease. Coveralls are a different matter. I allow my guys a lot of leeway with coveralls since we're all a bunch of grease monkeys anyway.

And if I get word that one of my guys showed up to the exchange, medical, PSD, etc. in a dirty uniform (no matter how much the dirt was camo'd), they know they will get their PPs slapped.

-Tenche Coxe, 1788
Old 01-14-2009, 4:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtSailor View Post
Uh, don't think for a moment that that won't continue to be the standard. At least in my division.
thats the benefit of the cammies, they hide things that would otherwise ruin a set of utilities. and anybody that thinks that you can keep 4 inspection ready sets of any real working uniform is just wrong. 1 set set aside, I can see. But what I am talking about are the things that ruin utilities. I am not saying get completely screwed up in them, I am saying it lengthens the useful life of a uniform. and on top of that, they are more comfortable.
Quote:

Is this your Calguns?

Last edited by kermit315; 01-14-2009 at 4:21 PM..
Old 01-14-2009, 8:02 PM

Quote:
thats the benefit of the cammies, they hide things that would otherwise ruin a set of utilities. and anybody that thinks that you can keep 4 inspection ready sets of any real working uniform is just wrong. 1 set set aside, I can see. But what I am talking about are the things that ruin utilities. I am not saying get completely screwed up in them, I am saying it lengthens the useful life of a uniform. and on top of that, they are more comfortable.
Cammies are definitely more comfortable, Can't argue that at all. I'll have to take a wait and see attitude about how these uniforms will look after a couple of months.

On the keeping one pair ready to go, I absolutely concur. I tell my guys that all the time. Down in the hole we wear coveralls everyday, so maybe we don't have the same issues you do with the working uniforms. I haven't worn my wash khakis in probably a month or more and most of my guys haven't worn their working uni's either, unless they had an appointment or something. Coveralls are for dirty work so that's what we wear everyday.

-Tenche Coxe, 1788

Last edited by DirtSailor; 01-14-2009 at 8:12 PM.. Reason: Spell Check
Old 01-14-2009, 8:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Like I said, I would be happy with regular cammies. That is what we wear on the boat with our jerseys, and they last way longer and stay decent looking longer than when people used to sew up their utility pants and use them on the flight deck. that alone sells me, other than the color scheme on the new ones. but a small improvement is better than none.

you mentioned wash khaki's. did you ever wear the current utility uniform, or did you get initiated back when the dungarees were still around? Just curious.
Quote:

Is this your Calguns?

Old 01-14-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANDO View Post
the coast guard's still look better.
caltrans orange?
Old 01-15-2009, 3:30 PM

Quote:
you mentioned wash khaki's. did you ever wear the current utility uniform, or did you get initiated back when the dungarees were still around? Just curious.
I've worn both, but like I said: I is an Engineman. Over the course of my career I've worn coveralls 10x more often than I've worn any other uniform.

-Tenche Coxe, 1788
Old 01-15-2009, 4:39 PM

I wish that the Navy would issue the same type of coveralls as Engineering. That polyester crap started to melt when I was fighting a fire at 0530 during WestPac. They didnt have enough FFE's to go around at the time. With all the uniform changes I would have thought they would have gotten better quality coveralls. Maybe next time.
Old 01-17-2009, 6:40 PM

The digi-blu's replacing the utilities aren't bad, the utilities are the same crap that inmates were wearing back in Folsom Prison back in the day. I don't even mind the wannabe USMC khaki working uniforms. Of course I'll never actually have to wear them... But what I hate is that they are talking about making Seabees and MA's wear the Street Fighter (blue digis) while CONUS. Sorry, but wasn't the whole point to lessen the amount of uniforms in our seabag? So now MA's and CB's have to have the new proposed digi deserts, digi woodlands, AND the stupid blue digis? I wish they would keep the streetfighters for the ships and for the other land-borne pencil pushing desk riders...I know I'm still going to be rocking my woodlands until the very last second allowed before the required swap.

Last edited by desertram800; 01-17-2009 at 6:42 PM..