Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 12-19-2008, 5:04 PM

Default New Chico Gun Store

Anyone gone yet?
I havent gone by. I just saw the commercial.
Old 12-19-2008, 5:12 PM
Veteran Member

Last edited by BigBamBoo; 08-03-2011 at 2:35 PM..
Old 12-19-2008, 5:15 PM

Somewhere off Esplanade. Thats all i really know. We needed a new store though. I'll post info if i get any.
Old 12-19-2008, 8:42 PM

Dammit! Now I have to go look.....

CRPA Member
NRA Life member
Old 12-19-2008, 9:09 PM

I'm only 45 minutes away and will beat all prices if I can find what you are looking for. PM for a quote anytime.

Cottonwood. Where the Sheriff cars have cow heads on them.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
01 Dealer 3xGuns Redding, CA
US Army MP Corps Veteran
NRA Pistol Coach Level 3

I am always looking for Beretta D models in 9mm or a Compact Type M.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:46 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

I was up there yesterday and kept my eyes open...didn't see it.

Safer Arms kinda blows. Not only are they SUPER anti OLL, their range doesn't fit me. Indoor ranges are cool and all, but their machines are in the way of my head. (I'm much taller than the average folks out there...)

If anyone can tell me just where it is, I'll go check it out and give a detailed report back.

I know my mom and step dad have bought quite a bit from them in the last month or so...My moms in the middle of a ten day wait for a Taurus .40 of some sort right now.
Old 12-20-2008, 8:20 AM

it's sooo small. but he's a nice guy. They had a couple glocks and xd40s in. i think i saw some remi700s and idk what else...it was too crammed.

it's seriously the size of a closet. and it's right next to that aftershock truck place.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:27 AM

did he have any OLL stuff? It would be nice to have a place in chico that deals with that. I'd rather go to walmart than safer arms, at least the ammo is cheaper.
Old 12-20-2008, 2:37 PM

Was there last week. Action guns is the name 893-4867. They are cool. They did their best to match a price for me (10/22) but in the end they weren’t able to. I was also looking for a XD40 there and they had them on the shelves. But when I asked about them most of them were sold. Just waiting out the 10 days. One other thing to note is that they were out of handgun safety cards.

No OLL stuff in stock. They have a weird policy on them. The guy told me they could receive your receiver but not a complete rifle. I don’t know but I think they are just new to this all and trying to stay out of trouble. If receiving a complete OLL gun use the tackle box. They are good about it.

I do like this shop and they have some of the best prices in town on guns in stock. If I were to buy a new handgun I would defiantly check them out. They have better prices on XDs than Safer Armes (was there today and they didn’t have much in stock) and the Tackle Box.

It was kind of funny but I was bull****ting with the guy in there about this forum. He had never herd about it. We logged on right in the shop and I showed it to him. So hopefully they will join.
Old 12-20-2008, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolf the Red View Post

Cottonwood. Where the Sheriff cars have cow heads on them.
Old 12-26-2008, 6:56 PM

They (Action Arms) still have my FAL in limbo.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethin View Post
They (Action Arms) still have my FAL in limbo.
We will take care of that ASAP.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
01 Dealer 3xGuns Redding, CA
US Army MP Corps Veteran
NRA Pistol Coach Level 3

I am always looking for Beretta D models in 9mm or a Compact Type M.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:51 AM

Thanks for that.

These people are so organized, you have to call their associated business (a truck shop) to get them to "accept" a fax before you send it.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:01 PM

Yea most the places around Chico are fairly anti-oll. If I remember correctly there is a gunsmith on nord ave. that will do transfers really cheap. Look him up and give him a call if you can't find something in the area.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:18 AM

Thumbs down Don't waste your time

I would strongly advise anyone that values their time to chose another gun store. These guys take absolutely forever to do the most basic transactions and I feel their knowledge is seriously lacking when it comes to firearms. I thought I would give the new place a chance, but I just don't have half an hour to spare waiting to be helped each time I go into a gun store. And yes, it is the size of a shoe box.

I am taking in to account that they are new to the business, but come on.. I call it like it is. I don't ask for much, just treat me with respect and get me out the door in a reasonable amount of time. I'll outline my experiences with them:

I paid for and had them order a long gun a little over a month ago. I was told that they would order it and have it in by next week. I call them 1 week later. (late in the week, btw) and it sounds as if they never even ordered it. I was told it would be in a week from then... Ok. I can live with that. When the gun is finally in their possession, I go in to do the DROS and am told that I need 2 forms of proof of residency BEFORE I can DROS. Keep in mind that this is for a LONG GUN, not a pistol. I have purchased many weapons in the past two months from various stores around town and have never had to deal with this. So, I return yet again with my CA drivers license and an approved form of evidence, wait a good amount of time to even be acknowledged, and I am told that it cannot be used because my apartment lease agreement does not have the current date on it, and that I need one from 09. (it was also still 2008 at the time). I politely mention how I have done this same exact transaction 4 times in the past two months at 3 different gun stores, and all they (owner was present) can say is that those stores will get their FFL'S taken away because they are not following the DOJ requirements. I can understand that they are just trying to cover their a**, but this combined with the very long wait times and pitiful knowledge of guns, gun law, and the basic store process, is too much for me.

I called around town to all the different gun stores I could think of and they all say that you do not need two forms of proof of residency to DROS a long gun. So, I am now having my gun transfered to another store here in Chico. They actually know a bit about gun laws and are OLL friendly. I just do not have time to deal with the clowns at "action guns" or should I say "incompetent guns".

If you value your time, go elsewhere. Maybe they should have just stayed in the business of rice rocket cars and jacked up, pavement princess trucks... That appears to be another one of their businesses next door to the coffin sized gun shop.

I apologize for the rant, but I really hope I can save someone else the frustration.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:44 PM

Sorry to hear that Lcm. I've experienced the same thing. Typically, they say they'll do something and call me, and then 3-4 days after it was supposed to be done, I'll call and they'll say, "yeah, glad you called. Found out X 2 days ago" Today, I was told I should be glad they've been so kind as to keep my purchase for over a month while they've been screwing around debating whether or not they can sell. Nevermind that the origination FFL and another local FFL are transferring (I had to get another, big thanks to Rudolf the Red). Now they want me to pay a second set of shipping (since I paid shipping from socal too) to the Rudolf the Red.

Top it off, the individual who tells me this today, first interrupts everytime I say something, tells me I'm rude when I insist on getting a full sentence out, and then hangs up on me!!! I'm stopping myself from further comment otherwise I might get banned.

Customer service is not a strong suit. The internet and local word of mouth should hopefully keep further individuals from the misery we have experienced.

Last edited by somethin; 01-02-2009 at 12:53 PM..
Old 01-02-2009, 10:48 PM
Calguns Addict

maybe we should try to educate them instead of bashing them on a public forum. just my .02 cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
I don't like getting my butt kicked, but I would like to have it spanked by some big hairy guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
I wouldn't put "mounting a weasel" past too many people on this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...
-Gene
Old 01-03-2009, 8:02 AM

I agree. Chico does not have many gun stores. I would much rather have the option of yet another store in town to use. The only problem is that they do not exactly seem receptive to being educated. Even in a very polite suggestive way. Gun dealers have resources for inquiries about the law. They can call and verify if they have questions. When this was mentioned, the people there instead wanted to argue and treat you like the "stupid customer". I would guess that they did not want to look incompetent in front of the other 3 dudes crammed into the coffin sized store.

I just do not have time for it. Their terrible disorganization and customer service was just the icing on the cake.
Old 01-05-2009, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post
maybe we should try to educate them instead of bashing them on a public forum. just my .02 cents
I've been patient for more than a month. And it's stuff like getting asked your phone number every time you call (once a week or maybe twice a week trying not to appear a pest) that bugs me.

The best thing I can say, is that the owner decided to cut the additional shipping (to the second FFL) in half after I suggested it.

The owner regurgitates whatever James (the tool), his "manager" says, even if the law is stated directly to them. For instance, they have left me with the impression that they think the only fixed magazine for an OLL is one with a bullet button or molded, when the law states that a fixed mag is anything that requires a tool to remove, and a bullet may be considered a tool. I didn't even leave them the printed info (or the Sac PD example of what is/is not a banned assault rifle), because I figured it would end up in the trash. And this is from a newbie reading the regs vs some old timer whose been there/done that.
Old 01-06-2009, 9:28 AM

So... how many of you all live in or around Chico? I just moved to the area and would love to get together with other Calgunners.

As for a rude FFL, definitely one of my pet peeves. I'd relate personal experience... but then I'd just get frustrated.
Old 01-06-2009, 1:04 PM
Veteran Member

I am currently living in Chico! Where do you guys usually go out shooting? Safer Arms with their indoor range is almost just down the street from me, but im get tired of always having to pay just to rent a lane and last time i was there a party of kids had no idea how to shoot and one actually shot the ground at an odd angle creating some crazy ricochet action that really freaked me out
Old 01-06-2009, 1:44 PM

I'd seen the commercial, but with Huntington's, Berry Creek Guns, and Big-5 here in Oroville, I wasn't that moved to go check it out.

As for shooting, there is always the shooting range here in Oroville out by Clay Pit, but I go shoot at private property out in Biggs.
Old 01-06-2009, 9:33 PM

For a more complete listing of gun stores and independent dealers in your area, click here:

http://www.gunbroker.com/User/DealerNetwork.asp

and then enter your zip code.
Old 01-07-2009, 8:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I just went in yesterday. I left with a lighter wallet....

Their name/address is:
Aftershock Guns
3029 Esplande
530-893-4867

In my opinion it is a very, very small shop, with very good prices (for the area). They do order black rifle parts (OLLs) from Lan World with 15%-ish markup. Heck, I did not care, I just wanted a few more Spike lowers.

I dealt with James, who admitted his "newness" into this business and showed enthusiasm to learn the ways. It was a good/pleasant experience and I will go back again (not just for my pickup)....

Last edited by Gregchico; 01-07-2009 at 8:21 AM.. Reason: fat finger moment, can not type....
Old 01-07-2009, 8:56 AM

Went there a few weeks ago, really nice guys and willing to try and work with you to get the things you want. A+ for OLL, they are one of the few in the chico area
Old 01-07-2009, 12:14 PM

I suggest a butte county CalGunners meet up. Anyone interested? private property is always great!
Old 01-07-2009, 12:26 PM

I am down, always looking for a fellow OLL shooter here in Chico.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDgarrick View Post
I suggest a butte county CalGunners meet up. Anyone interested? private property is always great!
Gee... I dunno. With EMC002 screaming about how two of us locals are DOJ Trolls, that sounds pretty scary.
Old 01-07-2009, 1:15 PM

Huh? DOJ? Where?
Old 01-07-2009, 1:46 PM

I'm supposed to be a "DOJ Troll". I was cracking up. And I thought *I* was paranoid.
Old 01-07-2009, 6:51 PM

Live in Red Bluff...work in Chico

I shoot at safer arms on occasion after work.
Old 01-07-2009, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asheron2 View Post
Went there a few weeks ago, really nice guys and willing to try and work with you to get the things you want. A+ for OLL, they are one of the few in the chico area
Did you read Lcm's or my posts? They don't even know the definition of a fixed magazine.
Old 01-07-2009, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethin View Post
Did you read Lcm's or my posts? They don't even know the definition of a fixed magazine.
Yes i read your posts, sorry for your bad luck with them, but the guy that was in there was on the ball, so i dunno what problems you guys are having but they are fine when i go in.

Just because you had a bad experience doesnt mean everyone else does. For example, im not a fan of Safer Arms, everytime i go in there the customer service is horrible, but i have a friend who loves to shop there and use their range.

Last edited by asheron2; 01-07-2009 at 7:16 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-07-2009, 7:23 PM

Just did the DROS paperwork for my gun today. I had a very good experience with "The Tackle Box" Here in Chico. I spoke with Richard and explained how I was given the run around by incompetent/Action guns. He confirmed that you only need one form of proof of residency to DROS a long gun. The best part is that he actually drove over there and got my gun for me. Didn't even charge me a transfer fee! Just 25.00 for the DROS. Very good guys over there. They are very knowledgeable and have a much better selection. You also don't have to wait a half an hour for them to stumble through other customers and help you. I have always gotten out of there in under 15 mins.

They do transfers on OLLs. Spike's and cold war shooters has them on file. That's where I previously had all of my Spike's shipped to (wish I could find a damn upper in stock). They are going to get all my business from now on.

If you are looking for a shop with knowledgeable people and excellent customer service, check it out. It's on E. Park ave in Chico.
Old 01-07-2009, 7:26 PM

Glad to hear about the tackle box, thats awesome they drove over there and picked up your receiver A++ for their customer service
Old 01-07-2009, 8:42 PM

I live in Chico and shoot as often as occasion permits, down at the clay pits.
As for gun shops, Butte County isn't that great, but there are several FFL's who work out of their homes who don't pillage you and can get you anything you want. If you want contact info, shoot me a pm. I actually shot with one of them last weekend. He's definitely an EBR man.

Safer and Huntingtons are good enough folks who enjoyed being the only real game in the area for a long time. Their pricing reflects that.

J&J smokewagons have very fair pricing and charge 25 + 25 for transfer. No OLL's though. They are in Paradise, on the Skyway, by appointment only. Nice Folks.

Tacklebox is a pretty good store. Good ole boys who try to accomodate. It is news to me that they will deal with OLL's. Last year, I went in to ask and they had no idea about them. Still, good folks; pricing is okay.

Berry Creek is nice people as well, pretty limited to handguns and pricing is average.

I am also up for a Butte County Cal Guns shoot.

Originally Posted by Stormfeather
"Seriously, some people need to put the keyboard down and go out in the sunshine."
Old 01-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member

we should start organizing a shoot! anyone have any idea where the best spot to go shooting will be? i have only been the the indoor range at safer arms and the outdoor range in oroville (even though i heard the oroville range has since closed down, any validity in this? someone working at safer arms told me, so ive taken it with a grain of salt)

a bring your own ammo and bring your own beer for afterward
Old 01-12-2009, 2:43 PM

Freagan,
Count me in, I'm new to the area so I can't be of too much help, but I'm always down to meet new people and have a good time.

BTW I was at the Oroville range a month or two ago, no problems.
Old 01-12-2009, 3:23 PM

I'm up for it as well. Just got back from range at clay pit in Oroville an hour ago. Took my daughter shooting. There is (was) a gun club called Table Mountain in Oroville that closed recently. Maybe that's causing some confusion. The name "Clay Pit" refers to a big flat area where they mined clay soil way back when the built Oroville Dam.
Old 01-12-2009, 4:03 PM

Just a confirmation that Table mountain trap & skeet closed down. The clay pits shooting range is still active. It is owned by the Department of wter resources and "managed' by the DFG & sherrifs department. IT IS CLOSED IN THE MORNING ON THE LAST THURSDAY OF THE MONTH FOR CLEANING.

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."