Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 12-17-2008, 8:47 PM
Banned

Default Democrat Caroline Kennedy, expert on the Constitution

Here's the presumptive nominee to replace HIllary Clinton as Junior Senator from New York.

Quote:
In the news reports of Caroline Kennedy's aspirations to be a Senator, the talking heads have noted that her qualifications include being a "Constitutional lawyer" who "wrote a book about Constitutional law."

I happen to have that book: In Our Defense, The Bill of Rights in Action, by Ellen Alderman and Caroline Kennedy, William Morrow & Co., NY, 1991. Here is what the Constitutional scholars Alderman and Kennedy had to say about the Second Amendment, on page 100:

<Under the controlling authority of the only Supreme Court case to address the scope of the Second Amendment, U.S. v. Miller, the court concluded that "the right to keep and bear handguns is not guaranteed by the Second Amendment.">

The quotation marks are theirs; this is supposed to be a direct quote from the opinion in U.S. v. Miller. Those words do not appear anywhere in the opinion. Nor is it a paraphrase; nothing even remotely like those words appears in the opinion. The word "handgun" does not appear in the opinion.

Alderman and Kennedy got the opinion wrong, and they used quotation marks around words that were not quotations. What is your opinion? Intentional deception, just making up crap out of thin air a la Bellesiles? Or egregiously bad scholarship? (How hard is it to check the opinion to see if the quotation is accurate, especially a short opinion like Miller?)
Old 12-17-2008, 8:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayra View Post
Here's the presumptive nominee to replace HIllary Clinton as Junior Senator from New York.
Typical.
Old 12-17-2008, 9:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I'm guessing in the near future there will be two Kennedys in the US Senate and one of them won't be Ted.
Old 12-17-2008, 9:09 PM
Veteran Member

Once again, it comes back to the question of whether the politician is lying or stupid.
Old 12-17-2008, 9:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. D. Van Norman View Post
Once again, it comes back to the question of whether the politician is lying or stupid.
Both! You cant fix stupid, so they just keep lying!
Old 12-17-2008, 9:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Lying or stupid doesn't matter. Since she is Kennedy royalty chances are good she'll be given the empty throne.
Old 12-17-2008, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Most of them are too stupid (or arrogant or both) to know that they lying. They actually believe their own BS. That is how they know so much better than we do what is best for us.

BTW - Obama's great wave of change has sure brought back a lot of old familiar names.

"please guys please no ridiculous offers....Im a girl, not an idiot" Mistisa242
Old 12-17-2008, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member

Wasn't/Isn't Obama supposed to be some kind of "Constitutional lawyer" as well? I think it's a new term the press has come up with for leftist idiot that mentions the 2nd amendment in a sentence.
Old 12-18-2008, 1:08 AM
Banned

Again with calling evil politicians stupid. They are not stupid. They are smart enough to realize that acting stupid en masse will let them get away with treason.
Old 12-18-2008, 8:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by N6ATF View Post
Again with calling evil politicians stupid. They are not stupid. They are smart enough to realize that acting stupid en masse will let them get away with treason.
I think that since the Constitution and Bill of Rights was written for Americans and meant to be understood by the People, and the language is so plainly obvious in meaning and intent that that the term constitutional lawyer when used by a democant is in fact a code word for individual open to subverting the constitution.

I know this isn't really fair as we have constitutional lawyers on the our side of the issue, but they are certainly in the minority.

Last edited by dixieD; 12-18-2008 at 8:55 AM..
Old 12-18-2008, 9:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
in this day and age i would say both.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 12-18-2008, 9:19 AM
Banned

She is not and has never been a Politician ...
Old 12-18-2008, 11:06 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by otalps View Post
Wasn't/Isn't Obama supposed to be some kind of "Constitutional lawyer" as well? I think it's a new term the press has come up with for leftist idiot that mentions the 2nd amendment in a sentence.

The claim was he was a "Constitutional Law Professor"
The fact is he was a "Guest Speaker" one day in a classroon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I support violence against communists.
The United States once fought and killed communists abroad. Domestically, persons suspect of being a communist faced interrogation, juries, and having their careers and lives destroyed.

Today, they walk among us. They’re on the television, they write for the newspapers, they have infiltrated the schools, the political system, and law enforcement. They call themselves Liberals.
Old 12-18-2008, 1:41 PM
Veteran Member

U.S. v. Miller did not even address the 2nd amendment issue nor mentioned handguns.....another idiot....
Originally Posted by forumguy View Post
The same way they enforce all the rest of the BS laws. Only criminals are exempt, while the honest obey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Sometimes I think the function of Calguns is half to refute bad info from gunshops and half to refute bad info from DOJ.
Old 12-18-2008, 2:21 PM

Sadly, it's not the politicians who are stupid.

I think they know exactly what they are doing.

It's the voters who aren't paying attention. I won't call us stupid since there are all kinds of people included in "the voters" but the politicians say what they think the voters want to hear. I have liberal relatives who say Obama isn't against people owning handguns because "He said he supports the 2nd Amendment."

Don't look at his actions, just what his website says.

The politicians know most people are never going to validate their statements. If they do get caught in a lie it's after the fact. Their erroneous statements are still out there forever. Especially with the internet, nothing really goes away.
Old 12-18-2008, 2:36 PM
DDT

Back in the late 80s when I first got on the Internet there was a .sig that I particularly liked. I don't know if I have the wording exactly right but it goes something like this:

"Never attribute to malice that which can reasonably attributed to ignorance."

I am quite convinced that this is excellent advice when dealing with 99% of the population.

I am quite convinced that politicians fall into the other 1%
Old 12-18-2008, 2:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDT View Post
"Never attribute to malice that which can reasonably attributed to ignorance."
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Hanlon's Razor: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Robert_J._Hanlon

Oceanside Practical Pistol Club - USPSA and IDPA matches in San Diego County
Linea de Fuego - USPSA and 3-Gun matches in San Diego County
Old 12-18-2008, 3:12 PM
DDT

I was close, thanks for clarifying.
Old 12-18-2008, 3:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Quote:
In the news reports of Caroline Kennedy's aspirations to be a Senator, the talking heads have noted that her qualifications include being a "Constitutional lawyer" who "wrote a book about Constitutional law."

I happen to have that book: In Our Defense, The Bill of Rights in Action, by Ellen Alderman and Caroline Kennedy, William Morrow & Co., NY, 1991. Here is what the Constitutional scholars Alderman and Kennedy had to say about the Second Amendment, on page 100:

<Under the controlling authority of the only Supreme Court case to address the scope of the Second Amendment, U.S. v. Miller, the court concluded that "the right to keep and bear handguns is not guaranteed by the Second Amendment.">

The quotation marks are theirs; this is supposed to be a direct quote from the opinion in U.S. v. Miller. Those words do not appear anywhere in the opinion. Nor is it a paraphrase; nothing even remotely like those words appears in the opinion. The word "handgun" does not appear in the opinion.

Alderman and Kennedy got the opinion wrong, and they used quotation marks around words that were not quotations. What is your opinion? Intentional deception, just making up crap out of thin air a la Bellesiles? Or egregiously bad scholarship? (How hard is it to check the opinion to see if the quotation is accurate, especially a short opinion like Miller?)
Actually, whoever you quoted here (hard to know since there is no citation) got it wrong. Kennedy and Alderman are not quoting from the Miller decision, they're quoting from the Seventh Circuit's decision in the Morton Grove case. Plenty of reasons to be suspicious of the name Kennedy, but this is not one of them.

For anyone who is interested, you can go to Amazon and use the "Look Inside" feature and read it yourself. Search for Miller and pick the page 100 link from the search results.

Old 12-18-2008, 3:31 PM

"Constitutional lawyer" in media speak seems to = "person with law degree who has written something or worked on a case involving the US constitution." Hardly a guarantor of expertise .
Old 12-18-2008, 3:37 PM
Veteran Member

She has zero experience to be Senator and she is being called on it.

The only experience she has is having "Kennedy" as her last name and being chauffeured around in a limousine.
Old 12-18-2008, 5:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbgaynor View Post
Actually, whoever you quoted here (hard to know since there is no citation) got it wrong. Kennedy and Alderman are not quoting from the Miller decision, they're quoting from the Seventh Circuit's decision in the Morton Grove case. Plenty of reasons to be suspicious of the name Kennedy, but this is not one of them.

For anyone who is interested, you can go to Amazon and use the "Look Inside" feature and read it yourself. Search for Miller and pick the page 100 link from the search results.
Try as I might, I was unable to search inside the book or read any part of it on amazon. I couldn't find the feature.
Old 12-18-2008, 6:19 PM
Veteran Member

I have a fairly good friend who was very close to John Jr and spent substantial time with them all...

His opinion of caroline, to put it kindly is, "shes not the sharpest knife in the drawer."
Old 12-18-2008, 6:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanDad View Post
I have a fairly good friend who was very close to John Jr and spent substantial time with them all...

His opinion of caroline, to put it kindly is, "shes not the sharpest knife in the drawer."
Okay, we'll just take that as gospel then.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:43 PM

You know how to tell if a politician is lying? Their lips are moving!
Old 12-19-2008, 12:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun Man View Post
Try as I might, I was unable to search inside the book or read any part of it on amazon. I couldn't find the feature.
Try this (you may need to be logged into Amazon):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0380...pt#reader-link

Old 12-19-2008, 7:03 AM
Veteran Member

Besides having no experience, she hasn't voted much either...

Quote:
Caroline Kennedy wants to be the next senator from New York, but her voting record is already spotty, the Daily News has found. City Board of Elections records show Kennedy has failed to vote in many elections since she registered in the city in 1988 - including votes for the Senate seat she hopes to fill and numerous Democratic faceoffs for mayor.
Records show Caroline Kennedy failed to cast her vote many times since 1988
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...ailed_to_.html
Old 12-19-2008, 7:19 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Maybe she's even dumber than her brother . . .
Old 12-19-2008, 8:03 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun Man View Post
Okay, we'll just take that as gospel then.
To be unfair, the other term he used was "high functioning retarded".

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrpe View Post
Maybe she's even dumber than her brother . . .
Her brother was actually a pretty sharp guy... Remember- He hired Ann Coulter for George.

Last edited by RomanDad; 12-19-2008 at 8:13 AM..
Old 12-19-2008, 8:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanDad View Post
To be unfair, the other term he used was "high functioning retarded".

Her brother was actually a pretty sharp guy... Remember- He hired Ann Coulter for George.
Her brother killed himself, his wife, and his sister-in-law in an act of extreme aerial stupidity.

Darwin Award
Old 12-19-2008, 9:37 AM

Default Correction to the original gunlaws misquote

The original, post #1, story appears to be very similar to a gunlaws email newsletter, which was followed up soon after by this correction:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlaws
Possibly the greatest error in the history of Page Nine just occurred in the lead story on Caroline Kennedy. In relying on a usually reliable attorney -- whose anonymity is now saving his sorry butt -- I inaccurately conveyed an element of Ms. Kennedy's book, "In Our Defense, The Bill of Rights in Action" (Ellen Alderman and Caroline Kennedy, 1991, William Morrow & Co.). The attorney, whose anonymity I intend to maintain, corrects himself:

"In accusing Caroline Kennedy of shoddy scholarship, I committed shoddy scholarship.

"The quote, 'the right to keep and bear handguns is not guaranteed by the Second Amendment,' does not appear in U.S. v. MILLER, but (absurd as it is) it does appear in QUILICI v. MORTON GROVE, which Kennedy was citing in her book. She was right, and I was wrong.

"Clearly, Kennedy is hostile to the right of individual citizens to keep and bear arms, but she is not guilty of making up a quote, as I alleged.

"I apologize for my unforgivable error."

The book's discussion of the right to keep and bear arms rests on an examination of the 1982 Morton Grove gun ban, an act by a small town, supported by courts, that denied its citizens rights they had always had beforehand. That lower-court episode is considered by gun-rights advocates as one of the worst blots on the Second Amendment, but Kennedy and Alderman saw it as a proper stage to examine the issue. It would be hard to characterize their position as anything but hostile to the idea that mere citizens have the right to defend themselves with sidearms. The quotation the authors hinge their discussion upon -- inaccurately attributed in my report but accurately quoted -- is completely disparaging of a citizen's right to have or use handguns (and indeed, the MILLER case makes no mention of handguns):

"Under the controlling authority of the only Supreme Court case to address the scope of the Second Amendment, U.S. v. MILLER, the court concluded that 'the right to keep and bear handguns is not guaranteed by the Second Amendment.'"

The erroneous details were published online a few hours ago. I've made every effort to correct this as swiftly as possible. I apologize for letting that slip through, and it serves as proof once again that, despite the rumors, I'm only human.

Sincerely,
Alan Korwin
The Uninvited Ombudsman