Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 10-06-2017, 8:16 AM

Default OC sheriff candidate Dave Harrington supports "Shall Issue"

DAVE HARRINGTON'S STAND

"Let me be perfectly clear, I support an individual’s second amendment right. Period. I believe in “shall issue” as the standard for law abiding citizens when they apply for a CCW. Period. I believe “may issue” should have no more of a “good cause” test than an individual wants to protect themselves or their families. Period. These are the foundational beliefs forming my position and will be the foundation from which I approach the policy on issuing Carry Concealed Weapon permits (CCW) as the Sheriff of Orange County."

http://harringtonforsheriff.com//2ndamendment.php
Old 10-06-2017, 8:31 AM
Veteran Member

Sounds great, so far

Just an FYI, for readers....Here is what Calguns member "Mibairho" just wrote regarding the other candidate Don Barnes:

**I talked to my friend who has knowledge of the current CCW unit and program. He said 100% for certainty, the assistant sheriff, now under sheriff, has been the driver behind the unit. I know politics will start to take place and the mudslinging will begin, but I know I want to keep my CCW and I'm voting for Barnes because he's the one building the program. His actions spoke long before he thought about running.

I'm not taking any chances on a guy (Harrington) that I remember was spouting he would limit CCWs. Once Harrington realized that our votes will count, then he changed his position. Don Barnes is who will keep the program going. Plus, Don Barnes has the intelligence and ability to run the department and represent Orange County well. Have you heard Don Barnes speak? He is extremely intelligent and he listens. Harrington is not even close to the level Barnes is at in my opinion.

This is a no brainer. Don't be fooled twice. Jerry Brown pulled the wool over everyone's eyes with prop 57. That's a politician, And Harrington is a politician. Barnes is a leader with a proven track record.**

Guess we will have to pay attention in the coming year
Old 10-06-2017, 1:16 PM
Some Yahoo on the Web
CGN Contributor

Makes me glad that my current "Self Defense = Good Cause" Sherriff will be running unopposed. Again.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.Ē -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Old 10-09-2017, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post
Sounds great, so far

Just an FYI, for readers....Here is what Calguns member "Mibairho" just wrote regarding the other candidate Don Barnes:

**I talked to my friend who has knowledge of the current CCW unit and program. He said 100% for certainty, the assistant sheriff, now under sheriff, has been the driver behind the unit. I know politics will start to take place and the mudslinging will begin, but I know I want to keep my CCW and I'm voting for Barnes because he's the one building the program. His actions spoke long before he thought about running.

I'm not taking any chances on a guy (Harrington) that I remember was spouting he would limit CCWs. Once Harrington realized that our votes will count, then he changed his position. Don Barnes is who will keep the program going. Plus, Don Barnes has the intelligence and ability to run the department and represent Orange County well. Have you heard Don Barnes speak? He is extremely intelligent and he listens. Harrington is not even close to the level Barnes is at in my opinion.

This is a no brainer. Don't be fooled twice. Jerry Brown pulled the wool over everyone's eyes with prop 57. That's a politician, And Harrington is a politician. Barnes is a leader with a proven track record.**

Guess we will have to pay attention in the coming year

Can you please provide the source (link) of this statement if possible? thank you.
Old 10-09-2017, 8:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapshot7 View Post
Can you please provide the source (link) of this statement if possible? thank you.

I don't have the initial source, but the thread discussion is here:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...7#post20744967
Old 10-10-2017, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapshot7 View Post
I read it on calguns myself and I'm sure others have too. I can't find it now, but I know what I read.

This is the way I see it, both say they will support CCWs. Let's say they are even there. Now we have to see who will make a better Sheriff? Barnes is an UnderSheriff, Harrington was a sergeant. I would say Barnes is more qualified. Let's see what happens if they debate. Harrington might do well as a politician, but I don't think he will even come close to the intelligence of Barnes. I heard Barnes speak once already, but what was most impressive was the way he listened to people after. Two thumbs up in my opinion.
Old 10-10-2017, 5:13 PM
Banned

Who is this guy?

Wow. Where do I have to donate?

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2017, 5:16 PM

Wasnít it Barnes who said heís against shall issue years back because heís worried unidentified gangsters can get ccwís or something along those lines?
Old 10-10-2017, 5:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriller134 View Post
Wasn’t it Barnes who said he’s against shall issue years back because he’s worried unidentified gangsters can get ccw’s or something along those lines?

This was discussed and a copy of his RECENT STATEMENT regarding that is covered in posts #81,82,83,and 84 here:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...0#post20758590

As I surmised, 5 years ago it's most likely the whole OCSD was against CCW. Anyway, seems both leading candiates are proponents of CCW....at least politically....we will need to listen further.

-

Last edited by Erion929; 10-10-2017 at 5:30 PM..
Old 10-10-2017, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post
This was discussed and a copy of his RECENT STATEMENT regarding that is covered in posts #81,82,83,and 84 here:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...0#post20758590

As I surmised, 5 years ago it's most likely the whole OCSD was against CCW. Anyway, seems both leading candiates are proponents of CCW....at least politically....we will need to listen further.

-

Thanks for that. I knew I read something on him. To me it seems like heís now pandering to the ccw crowd. I want someone thatís going to make it easier to get a ccw and I believe self defense is good enough of a reason. It seems like heís for status quo which isnít bad, but still not shall issue.
Old 10-15-2017, 8:09 AM

Default Barnes is a Flip Flopper

Just FYI
Harrington is a lifelong Republican, Pro 2A advocate, member of NRA.

Barnes became a Republican 42 days before he filed to run and stance 4 years ago was citizens with Guns make us less safe as he stated here in a deposition.

http://michellawyers.com/wp-content/...pp.-to-MPI.pdf

Seems it's the difference of a true believer conservative and a man that will flip flop and pander to get elected.

Choice is easy for me.
Old 10-15-2017, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCGal View Post
Just FYI

Barnes became a Republican 42 days before he filed to run and stance 4 years ago was citizens with Guns make us less safe as he stated here in a deposition.

Seems it's the difference of a true believer conservative and a man that will flip flop and pander to get elected.

Choice is easy for me.
Long before he thought about running, he was the Assistant Sheriff that made the program what it is. You can spout the BS about Harrington, but I know his comment was removed from this website. He was against issuing, and would follow the letter of the law. Does it matter to you he doesn't have the knowledge or ability to run the whole department? He was only a Sergeant I believe and couldn't get promoted to Lieutenant. I think that's says a lot too. I just hope OC doesn't fall for another politician that will say and do anything to get elected. Vote for someone who will continue the current program and be a leader in the department to make OC proud. Vote for Barnes!!
Old 10-17-2017, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Just FYI

Choice is easy for me.
It sure looks that way.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mibairho View Post
Long before he thought about running, he was the Assistant Sheriff that made the program what it is. Here I thought the suit against the OCSD is what made the program what it was today. You can spout the BS about Harrington, but I know his comment was removed from this website. What comment is that? If you "know" one was made then quote it. He was against issuing, and would follow the letter of the law. Does it matter to you he doesn't have the knowledge or ability to run the whole department? He was only a Sergeant I believe and couldn't get promoted to Lieutenant. Could it be that he didn't get promoted to LT because he didn't play the politics game well. A sheriff doesn't have to be a good administrator. He has an Under Sheriff and an Executive Command to do that. I think that's says a lot too. I just hope OC doesn't fall for another politician that will say and do anything to get elected. Vote for someone who will continue the current program and be a leader in the department to make OC proud. Vote for Barnes!! Shake pom poms
Its real simple. Barnes declared under oath in the law suit brought by Chuck Michel against Sandra Hutchens that the elimination of the good cause requirement for a CCW permits issued would increase the number of guns in the community and that an increase in the presence of guns heightens the risk to law enforcement officers and citizens. Now Barnes has done a flip flop.

Barnes claims that he has changed his position and that while he still doesn't support "shall issue" he will continue to follow a more liberal "may issue" program. The big question is if he continues, post the en banc decision in Peruta, because the results of the liberalized issuance have been positive or is it because Barnes senses the importance of winning the pro 2A vote.

Last edited by Chewy65; 10-17-2017 at 11:15 PM..
Old 10-17-2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Just FYI

Choice is easy for me.
I heard Undersheriff Barnes speak at Artemis Defense a few weeks ago. Below are some notes and my observations.

He seems to be very intelligent and he made sense. He definitely has the experience necessary to run the department. He admitted he was wrong in the brief in your link. He said our actions, meaning the CCW permit holders in OC during the 15 months of "shall issue" Peruta, changed his mind. He admitted he was wrong and he stated he made a mistake. He stated there were roughly 5,000 permits issued when the Enbanc Court reversed the 3 Judge ruling. He said as of 10/4/17 there were 11,602 permits issued in OC. He made it a point to emphasize these numbers because he said it shows he and the department wants CCW issuance or they could have easily went back to the old, restrictive policy. He said about 98% of the applications they receive are approved. He stated that if you need help with your good cause statement, the interviewers will help you. He also stated that the NRA and CRPA sent out mailers recommending that people in
OC apply CCW permits because they are easily obtainable. Overall, his statements were very conservative leaning. Regarding crime, he seemed to be frustrated that his deputies hands were tied because of AB 109, Props 47 & 57. He seems very concerned about finding solutions and funding to help solve the homeless problems in the county, especially in the Riverbeds.

Overall he was very likable, and seemed like a solid leader. He promised to continue the CCW program in it's current form. He said, because of his recommendations we are now allowed "unlimited guns" on our permits. He stated he has 11 guns he qualifies for different reasons, including wardrobe.

Mr. Harrington will be at Artemis next Thursday the 26th. I look forward to hearing him speak.

Last edited by glock21sf; 10-18-2017 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: More information
Old 10-18-2017, 10:16 AM

Harrington for me so far.
Old 10-18-2017, 4:49 PM

Does it matter to you he doesn't have the knowledge or ability to run the whole department? He was only a Sergeant I believe and couldn't get promoted to Lieutenant. Could it be that he didn't get promoted to LT because he didn't play the politics game well. A sheriff doesn't have to be a good administrator. He has an Under Sheriff and an Executive Command to do that.

If you want to believe that BS about him not getting promoted, that's your opinion. I would agree with you if you said to commander or Assistant under sheriff, but LT is pretty easy to obtain. Now let's get this straight, , you're ok with Harrington just sitting there and his staff runs the department? No, not for me. I want someone who is intelligent and has the ability and will run the department. What you're saying then, is Barnes would still run the department if Harrington is elected. Seriously, we don't need a puppet, and even you just said that is what Harrington will be.
Old 10-18-2017, 5:02 PM

Please have him move to San Diego!

Sounds like a good candidate to me, congrats on having support up there.
Old 10-18-2017, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Does it matter to you he doesn't have the knowledge or ability to run the whole department? He was only a Sergeant I believe and couldn't get promoted to Lieutenant. Could it be that he didn't get promoted to LT because he didn't play the politics game well. A sheriff doesn't have to be a good administrator. He has an Under Sheriff and an Executive Command to do that.

If you want to believe that BS about him not getting promoted, that's your opinion. I would agree with you if you said to commander or Assistant under sheriff, but LT is pretty easy to obtain. Now let's get this straight, , you're ok with Harrington just sitting there and his staff runs the department? No, not for me. I want someone who is intelligent and has the ability and will run the department. What you're saying then, is Barnes would still run the department if Harrington is elected. Seriously, we don't need a puppet, and even you just said that is what Harrington will be.

Thereís a lot of assumptions in your post. How do you know Harrington doesnít have the know how to run the department? Are you sure he was only a sergeant or is that what you believe? What is the bs about him not getting promoted? Isnít Barnes the puppet being controlled by Sandra? Your tone makes it seem like youíre denigrating anyone who is less than the rank of lieutenant because ďitís pretty easy to obtainĒ. Please enlighten us with your knowledge, since you seem to ignore that facts that Barnes likes to flip flop on the issues pertaining to ccw.
Old 10-19-2017, 1:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
He was only a Sergeant I believe and couldn't get promoted to Lieutenant. I think that's says a lot too.
You don't know that Sergeant Harrington ever went after a promotion to LR and, if he did, why I am I not surprised that an anti 2A Sheriff didn't promote a shall issue sergeant!

Last edited by Chewy65; 10-19-2017 at 1:59 AM..
Old 10-19-2017, 10:18 AM

Harrington was promoted right before retirement, probably to bump retirement pay as good gesture from department as parting gift. He's never Sergeant material let alone being promoted to Lieutenant; but must be a good politician since he made it to mayor of Aliso Viejo. You don't need true leadership to be politician. Now about Pro 2A... So does Stan Sniff from Riverside and his position on CCW is nowhere near what we had here in OC, yet CRPA seems to be behind him.

Here's another good question for all of you. Does Hutchens consider being Pro CCW? If you answer "yes" than does her record of restrictive CCW policy when she first took office sound familiar to you? Hutchens flip flopped in a good way, yet it's not "good enough", as some of you indicated, and have no problem eating up Harrington's shall issue like candies. I have no need for another Carona in office.
NRA certified RSO, Pistol/Rifle/Personal Protection Inside The Home instructor, Certified SIG/Glock pistol armorer. Any question, please feel free to sent e-mail to ontargetrange@sbcglobal.net or visit our forum on Calguns under vendor section!
Old 10-19-2017, 2:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWM4A1 View Post
Harrington was promoted right before retirement, probably to bump retirement pay as good gesture from department as parting gift.
That would be financial malfeasance, to make an unwarranted gift at the expense of the public purse. Even if true, I wouldn't expect an anti Sheriff to promote a pro 2a deputy to sergeant any more than I would expect them to be promoted to LT.
Old 10-19-2017, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWM4A1 View Post
Harrington was promoted right before retirement, probably to bump retirement pay as good gesture from department as parting gift. He's never Sergeant material let alone being promoted to Lieutenant; but must be a good politician since he made it to mayor of Aliso Viejo. You don't need true leadership to be politician. Now about Pro 2A... So does Stan Sniff from Riverside and his position on CCW is nowhere near what we had here in OC, yet CRPA seems to be behind him.

Here's another good question for all of you. Does Hutchens consider being Pro CCW? If you answer "yes" than does her record of restrictive CCW policy when she first took office sound familiar to you? Hutchens flip flopped in a good way, yet it's not "good enough", as some of you indicated, and have no problem eating up Harrington's shall issue like candies. I have no need for another Carona in office.

You make a very good point about sniff. Itís still very early in the game. I am nowhere near close to making a decision on who to vote for. I wish I could make it to the Harrington meet and greet at Artemis. It would be awesome if they could video record him and post it on their blog. What I want to know is if Barnes is truly in support of ccws, why wonít he make self defense sufficient for good cause?
Old 10-19-2017, 5:22 PM

Quote:
You make a very good point about sniff. It’s still very early in the game. I am nowhere near close to making a decision on who to vote for. I wish I could make it to the Harrington meet and greet at Artemis. It would be awesome if they could video record him and post it on their blog. What I want to know is if Barnes is truly in support of ccws, why won’t he make self defense sufficient for good cause?
During Undersheriff Barnes' presentation at Artemis, he stated several times that purely "self defense" goes against California law that requires"good cause." He stated that the deputies will help you articulate a good cause statement that corresponds with your daily activities. He said their policy is as close to good cause as you can legally get.

My personal opinion is the Democrats in control of the California government will change the law to strict standards of good cause if Sheriffs in large metropolitan areas issue permits without the good cause requirement. Don't forget, Newsom is on deck for Governor. Things can change quickly with that hypocrite in charge. He has the Senate and Assembly on his side.

I agree with Barnes on their approach being correct because of our one party government in California.

Last edited by glock21sf; 10-19-2017 at 5:25 PM..
Old 10-19-2017, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock21sf View Post
During Undersheriff Barnes' presentation at Artemis, he stated several times that purely "self defense" goes against California law that requires"good cause." He stated that the deputies will help you articulate a good cause statement that corresponds with your daily activities. He said their policy is as close to good cause as you can legally get.

My personal opinion is the Democrats in control of the California government will change the law to strict standards of good cause if Sheriffs in large metropolitan areas issue permits without the good cause requirement. Don't forget, Newsom is on deck for Governor. Things can change quickly with that hypocrite in charge. He has the Senate and Assembly on his side.

I agree with Barnes on their approach being correct because of our one party government in California.

Thanks for the reply, but Iím calling bs on the good cause statement from Barnes. In San Bernardino the sheriff is taking personal protection for good cause. While I do agree that itís pretty easy to get your ccw here, I think they could make it even easier by just stating personal protection or self defense as good cause.
Old 10-19-2017, 6:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I was leaning towards Harrington at first, but now it's Barnes. Everyone I know is voting for Barnes. He has the endorsement of the Sheriff, still works for the agency and is putting together a sizable war chest. I spoke with one well regarded CCW trainer this weekend who's working on Barnes' campaign. The email that Harrington sent out re: Barnes party affiliation was tacky. For me that helped seal the deal.

Last edited by Doheny; 10-19-2017 at 7:07 PM..
Old 10-19-2017, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
I was leaning towards Harrington at first, but now I'm likely Barnes. Everyone I know is voting for Barnes. He has the endorsement of the Sheriff, still works for the agency and is putting together a sizable war chest. I spoke with one well regarded CCW trainer this weekend who's working on Barnes' campaign. The email that Harrington sent out re: Barnes party affiliation was tacky. For me that helped seal the deal.
I plan on going to listen to Harrington speak at Artemis next week to see how he stacks up compared to Barnes.
TJ gave Barnes and endorsement in Allsafe's August Newsletter and I value his opinion. So far, Barnes has my vote as well.
Old 10-19-2017, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock21sf View Post
I plan on going to listen to Harrington speak at Artemis next week to see how he stacks up compared to Barnes.

TJ gave Barnes and endorsement in Allsafe's August Newsletter and I value his opinion. So far, Barnes has my vote as well.

I didnít know TJ gave Barnes an endorsement. This means a lot to me as I respect TJís opinion. Please let us know how Harringtonís speech goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
I was leaning towards Harrington at first, but now it's Barnes. Everyone I know is voting for Barnes. He has the endorsement of the Sheriff, still works for the agency and is putting together a sizable war chest. I spoke with one well regarded CCW trainer this weekend who's working on Barnes' campaign. The email that Harrington sent out re: Barnes party affiliation was tacky. For me that helped seal the deal.

Do you mind sharing who this trainer is? Honestly the trainers are gonna have a huge impact on how I vote.
Old 10-19-2017, 9:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I didnít know TJ gave Barnes an endorsement. This means a lot to me as I respect TJís opinion. Please let us know how Harringtonís speech goes.

Do you mind sharing who this trainer is? Honestly the trainers are gonna have a huge impact on how I vote.
It was TJ.