Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 10-01-2017, 6:19 PM

Default S & W MP Shield

Hello to all,

My Christmas gift to myself......S & W MP Shield. Anyone have one and what are your thoughts on it assuming one can get one in Cali.

Mail Clerk
Old 10-01-2017, 6:32 PM

I have one and like it a lot. They are available at just about any gun shop in California.
Old 10-01-2017, 6:34 PM

I have one. It's my CCW. With a hybrid IWB holster it is very concealable. It shoots like a champ too.
Old 10-01-2017, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mail Clerk View Post
Hello to all,

My Christmas gift to myself......S & W MP Shield. Anyone have one and what are your thoughts on it assuming one can get one in Cali.

Mail Clerk
If you just now bought one today too bad you missed the $75 rebate
Old 10-01-2017, 7:46 PM

I like how the gun feels in my hand and it's a good size for CCW. But the one I got, the trigger sucks big time. I've shot about 300 rounds and the trigger hasn't smoothed out at all.

I'm debating on getting the Apex trigger or the entire kit but I'm wondering if I should shoot a few more hundred rounds and see if it gets better.
Old 10-01-2017, 8:05 PM
Veteran Member

I would not go with the shield, but thats just based on the one that I got and my inability to shoot it straight.
A lot of other people really enjoy theres.
In my opinion it wasnt a joy to carry either at least with the stock sights and no sweat guard. It ripped my belly up.
Id choose the G26 anyday of the week over the shield, but thats just me.
Old 10-01-2017, 8:07 PM

I want one even without a CCW. I only see people shoot these from 7 yards at the range I go to. Itís good to have variety and learn how to shoot a subcompact
Old 10-01-2017, 8:10 PM
Guitar: The Deplorables
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Everyday carry.
Magguts +1 spring and follower.
Very nice shooter and accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 10-01-2017, 8:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakersfan View Post
I want one even without a CCW. I only see people shoot these from 7 yards at the range I go to. Itís good to have variety and learn how to shoot a subcompact
I still say the g26 is better for learning to shoot a subcompact cuz the shield is unbearably slim. And with the 8 round mag its more like a compact than a sub compact.
Old 10-01-2017, 8:20 PM

I have large hands and it works great with the hogue sleeve. It's reliable and the slide release has softened a lot after a few hundred rounds, the trigger is just fine IMO.

**I did have 2 light strikes from WWB ammo within 200 rnds, blaming the ammo on this one, but Ill def be looking out for that issue in the future. Anyone else get light strikes?
Old 10-01-2017, 8:32 PM

I have a Shield now. I used to have a Glock 26 and a Kahr. The Shield really does fit my hand better. That being said it is a bit of a handful to shoot as compared to a full size gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2017, 8:33 PM
Guitar: The Deplorables
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelholder View Post
**I did have 2 light strikes from WWB ammo within 200 rnds, blaming the ammo on this one, but Ill def be looking out for that issue in the future. Anyone else get light strikes?
Rock solid. Zero malfunctions in 2 years and easily over 1000rds.
Mostly shoot HST as it is my EDC, but I've used WWB for classes and haven't had any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 10-01-2017, 9:46 PM

The Shield 9 is a great pistol - compact, reliable and a good shooter. My only complaint is that it is very hard to rack for me because I'm not as strong as I once was due to age and I've had several injuries/surgeries to my hand.

I definitely recommend it.
Old 10-01-2017, 9:59 PM

I bought a Shield 9mm earlier this year and now carry it in rotation with a .45 (Springfield XDs). I have the MagGuts +2 on both the 7- and 8-round mags. I carry the now 9-round mag with one in the chamber, and the now 10-round mag as a spare.

I have 650 rounds through it, mostly Federal HST 124 gr (my carry/ defense ammo) and Blazer 115 gr FMJ for practice. It has also had WWB 115 and 124, PRVI 124, Fed American Eagle 124 gr and a couple others I canít remember...point being it ate everything with zero malfunction.

My trigger smoothed out a bit but I donít get butthurt when a trigger doesnít feel as smooth as a Wilson Combat 1911. You get used to it the way it is, and if you plan to carry it donít dare modify it.

With practice I am now satisfied with my groupings 10 yards out, and donít expect to need to use it for self defense at such a distance (would think 3-5 yards is more likely). With solid technique (especially trigger finger control) itís very accurate 3-5 yards out (like, ten rounds make one ragged hole).

I much prefer this and other single-stack pistols to the Glock 26 and other double-stack subcompacts for carry, even though I ďloseĒ one round. As a range gun, itís not nearly as fun as others, but because itís one of my carry guns it gets lots of time there.

I really like the M&P Shield 9mm. I feel I can trust it to defend my life, and I have faith in its reliability and durability.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:09 PM

It's kinda crazy but I'm more accurate shooting my Shield 9 than I am with my full-size M&P 9 with Apex FSS and Poly Trigger kit.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Love my Shield 9mm

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
Old 10-02-2017, 3:47 AM

i don't like plastic guns....but own a 9mm Shield. I replaced the sear only with one from Apex and did a sight upgrade, that being i replaced the front sight with a tritium sight from Dawson Precision and blacked out the dots on the rear sight a sharpie. I have about 600 rounds of my reloads thru it, it has been 100% reliable. Light,slim and powerful enough...i'm good with 9mm as a defensive round. Its hard not to like the Shield.
Old 10-02-2017, 9:36 AM

I expect a lot of people are going to tell you to buy an Apex trigger kit immediately. I would recommend you shoot it for a while first. Not only do you get used to the feel of the trigger, but it also feels like its smoothed out after 500 rds. It really needs no mods to be a good carry/defensive gun. It's not a competition/target gun and it doesn't need a 3 lb trigger. I've had my shield for like 3 years now and it shoot's great. never had an issue with it.
Old 10-02-2017, 9:55 AM

the Shield is one of the most popular 9mm pistols in CA , I see people buying these almost everytime at the LGS, lots of people buy them for home defense, very popular with the ladies, since the small narrow grip fits a small hand well, and it's kind of flat so it's easy to conceal.
Old 10-02-2017, 9:59 AM

I like mine. My stock trigger felt a little different yesterday. But that my be switching back and forth between a few different pistols over about 2 hours. Next time I take it out I will pay more attention.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:33 AM

My first carry was a Shield, but it was replaced with a G43 and Kahr PM9. Good overall pistol, though.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Picked one up for CCW, shoots fine right out of the box....fist sized groups at 7 yards all day in any mode, even one-handed, all you need for self-defense. I have a medium-sized 9 hand, I don't find the gun hard to shoot at all.

A waste to worry about a "better trigger".....it's not a target/competition gun. I feel the trigger is fine for CCW.

I also have the Walther PPS M2, a nicer pistol at a different price point, as I like the single stack 9.....G26 felt too fat for me.

-

Last edited by Erion929; 10-02-2017 at 1:10 PM..
Old 10-02-2017, 12:12 PM

It's a sub-compact pistol that performs like a full-sized pistol. If you do your part, you can consistently hit the COM at a 25 yard target. It's a laser.

I agree that the OEM trigger is fine. People spend another $100-150 on the Apex kit only to still suck at shooting. It would be better for them to swap to a pistol that better suited them.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbu_yoshi View Post
It's a sub-compact pistol that performs like a full-sized pistol. If you do your part, you can consistently hit the COM at a 25 yard target. It's a laser.
I agree, Love my Shield.
I practice with Winchester 147grn Train and Defend.

Last edited by Red-Osier77; 10-02-2017 at 12:19 PM..
Old 10-02-2017, 2:53 PM

Thank you all fo your fast replies. I see more positive relies instead of negative so towards the end of the year I intend to treat myself to one.

Mail Clerk
Old 10-02-2017, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestargrizzly View Post
I still say the g26 is better for learning to shoot a subcompact cuz the shield is unbearably slim. And with the 8 round mag its more like a compact than a sub compact.
I don't find the Shield to be any different to shoot than a Glock. Thin is usually a bonus for carrying concealed.

I added Talon grips and that adds just a slight bit of thickness and of course the added grip is nice. The stock grips don't have the best traction. Might be why you didn't like it?
Old 10-02-2017, 3:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floogy View Post
I don't find the Shield to be any different to shoot than a Glock. Thin is usually a bonus for carrying concealed.

I added Talon grips and that adds just a slight bit of thickness and of course the added grip is nice. The stock grips don't have the best traction. Might be why you didn't like it?
I had a lot of gripes with mine.
But I dont feel like rehashing them.
In fact ive been considering getting another shield eventually.
Cuz it is a peach to carry.
Old 10-02-2017, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestargrizzly View Post
I had a lot of gripes with mine.

But I dont feel like rehashing them.

In fact ive been considering getting another shield eventually.

Cuz it is a peach to carry.

Well if you do, try some grip tape. It sure helps. Whenever I get out of CA, the PC Shield is on my list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2017, 7:37 PM

Anybody else besides me carry the Shield .40?.. I use to carry my XDS 45 but since buying the .40 I shelved the XDS.
I put the Hogue Handall beavertail grip sleeve on it and it's been my EDC since.
Old 10-02-2017, 7:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I would never get a Shield in .40 S&W but, my 9mm Shield is my EDC. The .40 is really snappy in comparison thus, longer for follow up shots, you also loose one round of magazine capacity and finally, 9mm mags keep going on sale for super cheap but, I've yet to see .40 cal Shield mags go on sale at all. I've had several CCW students with .40s who end up selling them and buying 9mm ones but, I've never had anyone go the other way.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE
Old 10-03-2017, 8:06 AM

The M&P Shield 9 has impressed me. I took a brand new one to Gardnerville after clean/lube and ran 500 rounds of 124g AE through it and 92 HST's without any issues. I weak handed it, gangsta, limp wrist, it wouldn't fail. I shot that pistol faster than any other outing just to see if it would choke. I was surprised the front site didn't fall off I got it so hot. It is a KEEPER. I'm using a kydex Stealth Gear Ventcore mini IWB for it that's remarkably comfortable and stealth.

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli"
Old 10-03-2017, 8:12 AM

You won't be sorry
John 3:16
Old 10-03-2017, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mail Clerk View Post
Thank you all fo your fast replies. I see more positive relies instead of negative so towards the end of the year I intend to treat myself to one.
Why don't you try shooting it yourself first, to see how you like it, rather than rely on an informal, highly unscientific poll?
Old 10-03-2017, 6:55 PM

DrkSh8ds I carry a .40 shield and was impressed with how it handled. Didnít seem much different than my P229. Also got a screaming deal on it.
Old 10-03-2017, 7:03 PM
Veteran Member

I have one. I wish I didn't buy it. I have no use for it.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 10-03-2017, 7:11 PM

I just bought a 9mm Shield a couple of weeks ago. I am coming from a Glock 19 which I find prints too easily or is too uncomfortable for certain IWB positions. I thought the Shield would fit the bill but am disappointed that it still prints quite a bit at four o'clock and is too bulky for appendix carry.

For those who claim the 9mm Shield is easy to carry concealed, I would love to hear more specific details on your system. TIA
Old 10-03-2017, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianRC View Post
I just bought a 9mm Shield a couple of weeks ago. I am coming from a Glock 19 which I find prints too easily or is too uncomfortable for certain IWB positions. I thought the Shield would fit the bill but am disappointed that it still prints quite a bit at four o'clock and is too bulky for appendix carry.

For those who claim the 9mm Shield is easy to carry concealed, I would love to hear more specific details on your system. TIA
Welcome to Calguns.

I used to carry my Shield at 4-5 o clock in a hybrid holster. But it does print when wearing a t shirt, which I wear year round here. I felt very exposed when having to bend over to pick things up and constantly checked my shirt to make sure it wasn't riding up. My normal size shirt is L-XL and didn't feel like wearing XXL just to cover my gun.

I tried a basic appendix holster and it was a game changer. Not only does it conceal easier, but my G19 conceals easier too. I use a fairly flexible belt for comfort. It's a 511 Trainer belt with double thick webbing, but no reinforcement. The holster sits fairly high on my belt to keep it from jabbing me in the crotch.

Slight printing isn't a problem to me and in my experience, most will print slightly, but not enough to be recognizable as a handgun. I could probably carry a Desert Eagle at 3 oclock and most people are too nose deep in their phones to notice.

Curious to know what exactly you consider to be too bulky to appendix carry? Anything much smaller and you're in pocket gun size. A Shield and G19 should be easy to appendix carry. What belt/holster combos are you using?
Old 10-03-2017, 8:12 PM

Hi floogy,

For the Shield, I got the Crimson Trace Green Laser sight which came with a Bladetech IWB holster. I know it is cheap plastic but actually works and provides descent retention. For my G19 I have a solid kydex holster which I love and is super comfortable but there is the printing problem in the 4 o'clock position.

I recently installed a "clipdraw" clip on the G19 and have been experimenting with it for appendix carry and pocket carry. I also got one of those kydex trigger guards so I feel the G19 is safe for appendix carry with only the clip.

I will have to investigate the trainer belt you refer to. I have a couple of gun belts that are thick leather and seem to work fine.

So although I am very new to the proposition, I agree that the best way to go for CCW may be appendix carry. Would probably work even better if I could lose 20 pounds!
Old 10-03-2017, 8:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianRC View Post

I just use a Sticky holster (no clips) at the 4 position....cant it forward a little and the frame prints even less.
Old 10-03-2017, 8:27 PM

Thanks Erion929. I also have a sticky holster (LG-2) for my G19 and I agree it prints less than the kydex does. Trying it just now, I see that it is also a pretty darn good fit for the 9mm Shield with the laser installed. This gives me another option to experiment with. Thanks!