Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 12-12-2008, 3:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Default What's the best 1911? Also, what's a good 1911?

How's Kimbers?

New to Calguns, check here first:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=56818
Old 12-12-2008, 3:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Kimbers are very good. They will outshoot 95% of their owners. If you want the best hands down the best VALUE is a Les Baer. Not owning a Nighthawk I cannot comment but I own a Wison and that is the most well built 1911 I own. It is all in the details.
Old 12-12-2008, 3:24 PM

Kimbers are very nice for the money.
Old 12-12-2008, 3:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I like the kimbers I've shot @ the range. Because of that, I'm buying one.
Old 12-12-2008, 3:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Colt.
Old 12-12-2008, 3:44 PM
Well used Member
CGN Contributor

Jicko, I own a Kimber Custom II. I just love it. I've shot firearms from all the major makers and, for the money, this is my favorite. It outshoots everything in its class/price range. I find it more accurate and a better trigger than most in its class. Don't get me wrong, she's not a Les Baer, Wilson, or any other custom piece. We're talking just base models here. Springfield has a better warranty. Colts have reliability. They all have something. Pick what you want. Odds are you can add the rest as needed.

I do need to find a new 5/40th x 3/16 set screw for the rear sight. Other than that, she is good to go. I'm on vacation starting the 19th. I'd be willing to meet you at a range that is good for both of us if you'd like to take her out for a spin. Hell, I'll toss in the ammo if you pay for the lane. Let me know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jicko View Post
How's Kimbers?

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."--Plato
Old 12-12-2008, 4:15 PM
Veteran Member

My Kimber CDP II has turned into a jammamatic. I don't know what happend. I'm trying to score some 230 gr. ball bullets to load up and see if it'll feed them. If so, then...............gee, I don't know!! Gotta try sumpt'n!

Since that post I've purchased a Wilson CQB. While at the shop they told me the problem with the Kimber was probably the magazine. I'll try the Wilson mags in it to see how it goes.

Last edited by Kid Stanislaus; 12-25-2008 at 8:36 AM.. Reason: More critically important data!!
Old 12-12-2008, 4:26 PM
Jonathan Doe

If you have enough money, I would build a custom gun the way I want it. I have a 1911 that was worked on in part by Pachmayr and finished by Jim Bolad in mid 80's and it still shoots like a champ.
Old 12-12-2008, 5:04 PM

if you want a stock gun, Kimber isn't bad at all. I have 3..., as for best, that's totally subjective... how much money do you want to spend...? Les Baer makes incredible guns, so does wilson combat. what you'll do with your gun will tell you what you need for your gun... a really tight pistol isn't good in the field... it will malfunction because tolerances are too tight for any type of dirt.

The whole of that Bill [of Rights] is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals...[I]t establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of.
--- Oct 7, 1789, Hist. Soc.-A.G. Papers, 2

support your local gun dealer in CA as they are a rare breed and subject to nonexistence...
Old 12-12-2008, 6:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Stanislaus View Post
My Kimber CDP II has turned into a jammamatic. I don't know what happend. I'm trying to score some 230 gr. ball bullets to load up and see if it'll feed them. If so, then...............gee, I don't know!! Gotta try sumpt'n!
Yeah, that's horrible in a defensive handgun.

The 1st time I fired a Kimber was a disaster. The round kept flipping up during extraction and jamming up the gun. The 2nd time I used one, it was flawless.

I've read of the cheap custom II being super reliable for some, while other guys with more expensive gold match customs have extraction problems. I've heard that Kimber's fixed the extraction issues.
Old 12-12-2008, 8:18 PM

I have a Kimber Pro Carry HD II, Kimber Team Match, and a Wilson Combat CQB. To me, it seems the Kimber barrel is more prone rusting than my Wilson. I don't know if that's just me or what. I keep them both in the same security cabinet with desicant. As for performance, the Kimbers are solid performers. I don't care for the full length guide rod on the Match though. I really don't notice a difference in performance with it, it just seems to complicate the break down procedure. My CQB outperforms both Kimbers. You pretty much get what you pay for. From what I've heard, you can't really go wrong with Kimber, Springfield Armory (particularly their TRP's), Wilson Combat, Les Baer or Nighthawk. I have heard great things about all.
Old 12-12-2008, 8:26 PM
CGN Contributor

+1 on the Springfield TRP.

Just got mine and I'm loving it.
Old 12-12-2008, 8:50 PM

Check out a Dan Wesson

I think they can be had for $900
Old 12-12-2008, 8:59 PM

I just bought a Kimber TLE 1911 excellent production pistol for the money.I think you will be happy with a full size kimber.I think Ed Brown makes one the best custom 1911 if you have $2k+ to spend.
Old 12-12-2008, 9:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Jicko,

I've seen your group's gear. I vote to save up a bit for a Baer, Wilson, Brown, Nighthawk, or if you can find one a SA PRO.
Old 12-13-2008, 5:39 AM

Default Colt fan

The answer to your question depends on your price range, of course. But since you mentioned Kimber, I presume that you are in the $1000 price range.

I have one Kimber, a Pro CDP, and it has run very well for me. But in general I am partial to Colts, especially in a full size all steel 1911. I have a number of them, and about 20 years' experience with them. In general they are well made and work reliably. Here is one that I shoot frequently, a Gold Cup Series 80 with a few modifications:

Old 12-13-2008, 5:57 AM

My .02

Any currently manufactured 1911 type by Kimber, Springfield or Colt are good values and will do the job. Test fire, break in with 500 rounds and return to the manufacturer if there's any consistent malfunction.

You want to drop coin on a custom piece be my guest, but unless you're in a high-speed low drag unit where it's the issued piece, or you're shooing IPSC or IDPA for glory, the average shooter will shoot just as well with a Springfield as they will with a Wilson or Baer.
Old 12-13-2008, 6:59 AM
Veteran Member

Default COLTCOLTCOLTCOLTCOLTCOLTCOLTCOLTCOLTCOLTCOLTCOLTCO LTCOLTCOLTCOLTCOLTCOLT

My 2 pennys:

Jicko, all I can say is, "Friends dont let friends buy KIMBER!"

Springfield LOADED are supposed to be good but I have seen a brand new one shove spent rounds back into the mag! (Are they supposed to do that?)

Because of this, I would go with the Springfield Professional or look else where.

Also did someone say... COLT!

P.S. Series 70
America was founded by men who understood that the threat of domestic tyranny is as great as any threat from abroad. If we want to be worthy of their legacy, we must resist the rush toward ever-increasing state control of our society. Otherwise, our own government will become a greater threat to our freedoms than any foreign terrorist.

-Ron Paul

Last edited by ENTHUSIAST; 12-13-2008 at 7:01 AM..
Old 12-13-2008, 7:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgey View Post
Les Baer makes incredible guns, so does wilson combat. what you'll do with your gun will tell you what you need for your gun... a really tight pistol isn't good in the field... it will malfunction because tolerances are too tight for any type of dirt.

I guess my uber tight Les Baer did not get the message. This is after 700 rounds of nasty lead reloads. Still ran perfect. The problem with most 1911's that start jamming up after 100 or so rounds is improper lubrication.

Old 12-13-2008, 7:19 AM

I have a Colt, Kimber, Springfield and a Dan Wesson [and] I have owned a score of different sizes and setups; properly tuned and maintained I find them all to be [relatively] similar in quality and function. I prefer to carry my Dan Wesson PM10-S stainless, full size 10MM, as it is way accurate and loaded with "Double Tap" 180 gr Gold Dot JHP [1350/690] it has mucho power and dependability. I live in Phoenix so stainless is the way to go with concealed carry, and with the generous amount of "maniacs" circulating here 10MM gives me magnum power in an accurate and easily controllable platform to dispense them as needed. Note: I have found that most problems people have with their 1911's are due to improper tuning and setup for the ammunition[s] they fire [and] bad magazines.

PM10-S.jpg

Last edited by CD MCKINNEY; 01-01-2009 at 2:28 PM..
Old 12-13-2008, 7:21 AM
Veteran Member

In my 1911 obsessions, I've owned 95% of the 1911s available to the US market.

This is what I observed... bottom line, you get what you paid for, so depending on how much coin you are willing to invest, yes I said invest as some 1911 will increase in price through time, you will get the most joy out of youir investment, To start out, i will advise you to avoid the 1923 Colt overviewed Argentine 1911 and Llama 1911; though parts break on these often, it's an inconvenient to have it happen at the range and ruin your range day.
I prefer to buy used, as most on the used market are hardly used. Never buy refinished (such as chrome) guns as most likely these had rust issues and were refinished, once pitting and rust appen to a gun, it really never goes away as through time, it will go through the finish (it was common practice with gunshow dealer to but a rust bucket for $100, put $150 in beadblast and refinish and resale the gun with "special hard chrome" for $800). I've priced according to what you can find in the classifieds:
$400-$1000 : Springfield Armoury, Colt, Dan Wesson & Kimber: All will go bang and ejection will go to the side with some coming straight back and hitting your forhead. Best Choice: SA, Second: Kimber, third Colt or DW

$1000-$1500: SA TRP Op, Les Baer: These are considered working guns, very accurate at least 2" at 25 yrds, possibly 1.5" better fit super tight, better components : Best choice Les Baer Second SA

$1500-$2000: SA Professional, Les Baer, Wilson Combat CQB, Nighthawk GRP Ed Brown Special Forces: These are better in finish and nice detail, keep in mind MRSP is over $2300 on these. Best choice: NH GRP, then WC CQB, Les Baer, then EB SF (their customer service sucks),SA

$2000-$2500: WC Tact Elite, NH Predator: This is the grail for these companies and are very close, with the best of the best, I just like the NH better...Best NH Predator, second choice WC tact elite

$2500-+$3000: Total custom, you can really go wrong with any of the following smiths, Yost, Adams, Jiminea, O'Hare,Novak; just make sure all of the work is done by one smith and keep record... you seldom get our money back as an investment but having the satisfaction of building it to your specs is one of those "priceless" moments..

Good luck in your quest
Old 12-13-2008, 7:28 AM

I have a quick question on this topic if you all dont mind. My father has a WWII military issued .45 from Colt I beleive (maybe dated 1942). The gun is in very good condition and I want to know if this is a good gun and does it have any value? Thanks in advance!
Old 12-13-2008, 7:33 AM

Quote:
How's Kimbers?
I've owned three, Stainless II, Eclipse II, and a Warrior (series I), and they have all given me trouble free performance. As far as the best, well, that would be one that shoots and shoots straight when you pull the trigger.
Old 12-13-2008, 7:55 AM

Colt and Rock Island Armory.
Old 12-13-2008, 8:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus408 View Post
I have a quick question on this topic if you all dont mind. My father has a WWII military issued .45 from Colt I beleive (maybe dated 1942). The gun is in very good condition and I want to know if this is a good gun and does it have any value? Thanks in advance!
No...your fathers gun is worthless. I'll help him out and give him a hundred for it. Seriously, its market value is most likely over 1K, depending on many variables.
Old 12-13-2008, 8:42 AM

This thread and all the others exactly like it that come up every month crack me up!!! For every answer given to the OP about what is best, I can counter it. This is so subjective. If you ask 100 shooters what the best 1911 is, I am willing to lay down serious cash that you get over 100 answers!

As a general rule, you get what you pay for. However, I have a Rock Island that I paid $300 new for. It goes bang everytime, hits what I am shooting at and gives me a nasty bite on the web of my hand. Is the fit and finish the same as my Baer? No. Do I trust it to do the job? Yes

I bought a Les Baer Custom Carry last year. I bought a Kimber Custom TLE II at the same time. One was double the cost of the other. Im not the greatest shot in the world but I do pretty well. The kimber consistantly shoots as well/ accurate as the baer with me shooting them.

I have a Kimber CDP II with the dreaded and much hated external extractor. This is my CCW gun and has been since I bought it. Never had ONE malfunction with it in over 4-5 years.

I have seen at least a dozen Springfields go back repeatedly for poor performance in feeding and how the frames were drilled. My HD guns is a Springfield Operator with full length dust cover. It is by far the most accurate 1911 I own, even over the Baer.

I wouldn't buy a Nighthawk after seeing more than one $2400-2500 gun with crappy finishes that were pealing and flaking off.

I know many cops that carry guns that are too tight for field use that will jam in any kind of dirty conditions. They have no problems running Baers for duty use.

Colt, yeah I own them too. In my mind they are over-rated.

These are just MY experiences. The bottom line....a 5K Yost is no guarntee that it will never malfunction. A $300 RIA could fall apart at anytime. Its up to you Mr. OP to go out and shoot what you like, see what feels best and buy it. Good luck!
Old 12-13-2008, 8:47 AM
Banned

Baer or Wilson. You are the kind of guy that drops top dollar on a AICS stock. That is what you want.

What I've learned after 10 years of fiddling with various 1911s. There are two kinds of guns. Cheaper shooters like RIA or Springfield (slightly better).

Very accurate, custom guns like Baer, Wilson, Nighthawk (Nighthawk is supposed to have some QC problems lately though and way overpriced for what they offer, so beware).

If you want a gun to tinker with over time and shoot the heck out of, get a cheaper 1911. If you want a high end accurate shooter, get a semi-custom.

Kimber is somewhere in the middle and IMHO does neither job well. The old Kimbers were good. Just my 2c.

Last edited by nobs11; 12-13-2008 at 8:49 AM..
Old 12-13-2008, 8:53 AM

slowjohn,,, Thanks for your input, I didnt know it had that much value. I may ask for it myself....
Old 12-13-2008, 8:55 AM
Veteran Member

Forgot to mention, the advantage of the higher end such as the WC and NH is that it makes shooting kinda boring,the tightness of the gun keeps consistent small holes, for daily field use, i would recommend the SA as they are a little looser and reliability is optimum. For me, I currently have WC and NH as well as a couple of customs, I like the "Art" part of the collection... my HD is a Glock G35 (Not too painful when I have to turn it to the police after capping a burglar or crook and that only is my 12 GA didn't get him first)

WOrst case get a SA; the frame, slide and barrel is hand fitted at the factory, not the slap together parts from Kimber of today (if you can find a Series 1 Kinber, it's actually a Chip McCormick custom and is one of those the increase in price each year and great quality)

Last edited by Bongos; 12-13-2008 at 8:58 AM..
Old 12-13-2008, 8:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post
I guess my uber tight Les Baer did not get the message. This is after 700 rounds of nasty lead reloads. Still ran perfect. The problem with most 1911's that start jamming up after 100 or so rounds is improper lubrication.

Dude! That is so wrong.
Old 12-13-2008, 9:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENTHUSIAST View Post
My 2 pennys:

Jicko, all I can say is, "Friends dont let friends buy KIMBER!"

Springfield LOADED are supposed to be good but I have seen a brand new one shove spent rounds back into the mag! (Are they supposed to do that?)

Because of this, I would go with the Springfield Professional or look else where.

Also did someone say... COLT!

P.S. Series 70
Well Kimber and Springfield mass produce their firearms, and with anything mass produced, there are going to be variances in reliability and so forth because of the various tolerances of all the parts.

My Springfield Loaded does exactly what I want it to do. I can peg water bottles at 40 yards, I can rapid fire a mag into a baddie's head at 8 feet. I've taken a defensive shooting class and went over 300 rounds without adding lube or cleaning with not a single hang up. The only malfunctions it's had were due to bad mags.

But that's my gun. My friend's Sprinfield Mil-Spec's rear sights slid off during a firing string because someone at the factory cut that dovetail just BARELY too large, and he has at least one 3 point jam per session (although I think that's also a mag issue since they only occur with his factory springfield mags)

If you get a nighthawk or wilson combat, you're paying the extra $1000+ because there's more hand fitting done on all the parts, and you have more options for customization.

Last edited by CrippledPidgeon; 12-13-2008 at 9:41 AM..
Old 12-13-2008, 12:49 PM

Rock Island Armory Tactical model or GI model.

Still alive, still fight.

Antelope Valley grown, now State of Jefferson transplant.
Old 12-13-2008, 4:39 PM

Good suggestions all around.

Question.

I traveled from the OC to Seattle a few weeks back and was able to rent a Sig Suaer 1911 STX. It was truly an experience.

The STX is not CA approved but another 1911, the TTT which looks exactly like the STX is approved in CA.

Anyone know if the similarities end at aesthetics on those guns?

I've had a huge hankerin' for the TTT since I got back.
Old 12-13-2008, 4:51 PM

Quote:
How's Kimbers?
KIMBERS ARE OK-

NIGHTHAWKS ARE NICER
Old 12-13-2008, 10:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Lightbulb

Thank you all for all those response.

Until last week, I would NEVER thought that I would go buy a 1911. A friend turned me onto a Kimber SS TLE/RL II that he is buying... and I kinda feel like getting one, just for fun.

I am not a collector, I don't like to collect guns, all I want to do is streamline what I had, and be *really* good at what I have. I will learn everything about the gun and I will learn everything there is to know about the caliber.

$$ is not really an issue, but, I think, at this point, that even if I am to get a 1911, it wouldn't be my "go to" piece.... I won't even shoot it much.... maybe once in a long long while, just to make sure that it still works.... so... buying a $3k 1911 that I don't even think I will shoot much just kinda don't sink in well for me psychologically.

Top$$ on an AICS 2.0, NF NSX 22x MLR/MRAD/ZS does tho... since i KNOW i will get to use those.

My "go to" piece would be my G19. It is my IPSC gun, it is my IDPA gun... I have probably 50k+ rounds thru mine... I can do 2-to-the-body, 1-to-the-head accurately within 2.5sec from holster... I can't remember much of any jam or malfuncation, or failed extraction, or failed to feed.... even if there ever are some... it would be less than what I can count with my one hand.... I would never associate that kind of "reliability" with a 1911(I wouldn't expect that anyways...)

That's why I was looking at the Kimbers.... and maybe from this thread, I may want to look at Springfield.... I just want something that got a reputation, made in USA or some more "preferrable" countries (better general QC, eg. UK, Italy or Germany alike)

Kimber's @ $1000 is totally fine with me, even if I don't think I am gonna use it much. $3000 LB or NH seems a little "too much" for my usage model..... maybe if this Kimber's get me hooked onto 1911, then... LB/NH/WC would be definitely on my next purchase.

So, if not a Kimber's.... even tho it is mass-produced... it is still an "OK" gun, right? I certainly don't want a CZ (Dan W)....

I am a little torn about which Kimber's to get (or other brand alike).... I know that I want a full-size... so, 5" barrel or so.... I like the look of the Covert II, but I am NOT willing to pay the premium of the laser grip.... I may just get the same one my frd is getting.... SS Custom II TLE/RL... any other recommendations as to what I should go check out? And what's the pros/cons there.

Thanks in advance for any info/recommendations/help/guidance/offers/tips...

New to Calguns, check here first:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=56818
Old 12-13-2008, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member

Whats the word on RRA 1911s? I noticed RRA isn't making them anymore.
Old 12-14-2008, 5:42 AM

Jicko I believe it's your hands preference, I also have other pistols like the custom XD-45 below that sits next to my bed 24-7 but if you are going to spend the money on a shooter for everyday use feel it out. I like my 4.250 bobtail in my hand more then any other shooter I have because of the feel of it in my hand and not for any other reason so go feel the pistol before you buy it.

Old 12-14-2008, 6:39 AM
Calguns Addict

How about an Ed Brown? I've shot one and it's a real tack driver and very reliable. The owner wouldn't let me put it through a gruelling torture test, but I did not see it hick-up with any type of loads we had at the range that day.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 12-14-2008, 7:15 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTROKS View Post
How about an Ed Brown? I've shot one and it's a real tack driver and very reliable. The owner wouldn't let me put it through a gruelling torture test, but I did not see it hick-up with any type of loads we had at the range that day.

I had the Special Forces and Kobra Carry; SF was nice and shot good, KC was another story, FTF and FTE every mag, tried everything under the sun, called EB, he said you are SOL, no warranty for a less than 2 yr old gun... I was fed up to a point I sold the KC and SF just because of the service.

If you are going to spend $1000 on a 1911, and is not in a hurry, I'd keep an eye on the Classified section, I've seen les baer premeir IIs for $1200, I know it's stretch but there is a NH GRP now for $1785 which is a decent price...

But if you have to settle on a Kimber, check the gun out thoroughly, make sure all of the lines on the gun is straight and proportional as well, I've noticed the quality on Kimber are not what it use to be. A used one are in the $600-$700 range, the $400 days are long gone
Old 12-14-2008, 7:29 AM

Every manufacturer has good ones and bad ones. Colt, Kimber, Springfield, etc. all will have an occasional dog get through the process of QC. However, they all have had very good 1911's as well. I've owned Kimbers, Colts, Springfields and several I've built myself from various manufacturer's parts. I currently have a Combat Commander I have gone through myself and then sent to Coal Creek Armory in Tennessee for a Melonite treatment as I carry it off-duty here in the Valley in the summer. It is an excellent pistol. I also have a Springfield MC Operator that I have done nothing to. IT is a tack driver and has never had a malfunction of any kind in about 2000 rounds.

The Kimbers I've owned left me unimpressed. But, to be fair, it has been quite a while since I shot one. Several guys at work have them and find them to be quite functional. I still don't care for their lightweight aluminum framed models that don't use a fully ramped barrel. Lots of problems seem to arise with magazines having steel followers.