Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 12-11-2008, 9:27 AM

Angry ANOTHER REASON FOR A CCW!!!

We believe that the person in this story is a close personal friend. We are currently verifying. I am beyond words at the ANGER I feel. I am encouraging my girl friend to apply for her CCW, not because of this, but because as a woman she should be able to even out the playing field.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...n10kidnap.html

This could happen anywhere! She just let some kirby vacuum reps in her house the other day while she was alone!!
Old 12-11-2008, 9:33 AM
Veteran Member

I'm speechless, what low lifes. I can't help but think that as this economy is the dumps crime will only get worse.
Old 12-11-2008, 9:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Not a reason for a CCW, as she was inside her own house when the abduction happened. It is a reason for always having a gun on your hip, even inside your home.

It is a good reason for alertness and never letting a stranger into your home.

Glad it turned out all right, it is shocking that people can perpetrate such outrage on an elderly person (or even a young one).

All opinions expressed here are my own unless I say otherwise.
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

Old 12-11-2008, 9:53 AM

I agree with you Glock22Fan, but I find it troubling that most, not all, folks are not as vigilant about their safety.

I'm a military person and vigilance is ingrained in you. I have friends in law enforcement who are of the same mind set. I also have friends that have lived in ghettos or bad neighborhoods. They are more cautious than I am. But most folks have never experienced those things and have this false sense of safety inside their homes, that law enforcement is a phone call away, that a good samaritan will be there, or there are no bad people out there. I guess ignorance is no excuse.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:07 AM

so let me pose these questions:

how do you educate the masses about their personal safety?

is it their own responsibility?
i know of a family of educators who have never , (that's a pretty strong and true statement) told their kids not to talk to strangers and believe that their kids will find their own way in life.

how do you educate them that firearms to the right people (law abiding citizens) are good and vice versa, without being emotionally charged about the subject?
Old 12-11-2008, 10:08 AM
Calguns Addict

I'm sitting here in my office working at home, Glock (as usual) on my hip. I know some people think that I'm a little paranoid, but you cannot mark on the calendar when some BG is going to kick your front door down and wear a weapon only on those days. Sadly, it could happen without warning any day at any time, although hopefully it won't ever come to pass.

I look at it like I look at fire insurance. I don't cancel my policy on those days I don't expect a fire. I hope I never need it, but if and when I do, I want it ready. The policy is still valuable in a bank box, but my Glock is only valuable if I can get to it fast.

Thugs (and I don't use that term in a racist sense) don't stop and give you opportunity to dial 811, neither do they give you chance to go to your nightstand or safe and load your locked, unloaded, safely stored, firearm

When I'm 76, perhaps my condition will be such that wearing a Glock is not a good idea - I'll cross that bridge when I have to and hope I can find an alternative solution (maybe a .50AE Desert Eagle ). Letting uninvited strangers into my home won't be an option.

Last edited by Glock22Fan; 12-11-2008 at 10:12 AM..
Old 12-11-2008, 10:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock22Fan View Post
Not a reason for a CCW, as she was inside her own house when the abduction happened. It is a reason for always having a gun on your hip, even inside your home.
It is a good reason for alertness and never letting a stranger into your home.

Glad it turned out all right, it is shocking that people can perpetrate such outrage on an elderly person (or even a young one).
I agree. Never know when or where anything will happen.

Quote:
A shovel was also found in the car,
She is Very Lucky

As the Economy gets worse I expect to hear more of these stories. In the last year the lady across the street 2 houses down had a young couple in a nice car, well dressed with the story they were the owners of the house behind her and they had an issue with the fence in the back of the property. As the man walks her in the back the woman accomplice asks to use the bathroom, how can you deny her? Well she was ripped off of all her jewelry, money and perscription medication. had they not gotten greedy and tried to get in the house across the street with the alarm we never would have known. Old people are embarassed and don't always call the police. Neighbor did, took 2 reports in one visit.

We now watch out for her and a couple of other neighbors.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:31 AM

Another safety tip: don't open your door for people you don't know.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anhero View Post
how do you educate the masses about their personal safety?
Quote:
how do you educate them that firearms to the right people (law abiding citizens) are good and vice versa, without being emotionally charged about the subject?
Well, you get national pro-gun organizations like the NRA and GOA to produce 45-second TV commercials about things like this, and spend some of the millions we send to them on public education and awareness.

We all enjoy reading "The Armed Citizen" accounts of defensive gun use "DGUs" in the NRA magazines, but that is preaching to the choir. Commercials should be made re-enacting these accounts so that the PUBLIC can clearly see the benefits of private gun ownership and open/concealed carry.

Commercial: (re-enactment 45 seconds)

Scene 1: "On Dec. 8th, 2008, a 75 year old woman allowed a man into her home to demonstrate a vacuum cleaner. She did not purchase the machine." (Man smiles and leaves.)

Scene 2: "Later that night, the man returned, feigning despondence over a breakup with his girlfriend and asked to use her telephone. Unfortunately, she let him in."

Scene 3: "The intruder choked the woman and bound her with duct tape, tossing her into her own vehicle where she was kept as a hostage."

Scene 4: "He and a female accomplice beat the woman and held her for 2 days without food or water before a police traffic stop luckily ended the ordeal." (slow zoom) "A shovel was found in the vehicle."

Scene 5: (Woman answers door at night with gun on her hip, and refuses to open the door to the stranger. As he kicks at the door she produces the weapon causing the man to flee. She dials 9-1-1 as she watches him run away.) "This whole situation could have been avoided. To find out how, contact the National Rifle Association." ( website - phone number on screen ... police cars with flashing lights in front of woman's home in background. Fade to black.)

It wouldn't cost much if it were offered as a "Public Service Message." "This is a public service message brought to you by those who support the Right to Keep and Bear Arms."

Who would like to produce some YouTube test videos like this with me? I have some time on my hands. Any takers? I'm in San Diego county.

Last edited by gravedigger; 12-11-2008 at 10:46 AM..
Old 12-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
Well, you get national pro-gun organizations like the NRA and GOA to produce 45-second TV commercials about things like this, and spend some of the millions we send to them on public education and awareness.

We all enjoy reading "The Armed Citizen" accounts of defensive gun use "DGUs" in the NRA magazines, but that is preaching to the choir. Commercials should be made re-enacting these accounts so that the PUBLIC can clearly see the benefits of private gun ownership and open/concealed carry.

Scene 1: "On Dec. 8th, 2008, a 75 year old woman allowed a man into her home to demonstrate a vacuum cleaner. She did not purchase the machine." (Man smiles and leaves.)

Scene 2: "Later that night, the man returned, feigning despondence over a breakup with his girlfriend and asked to use her telephone. Unfortunately, she let him in."

Scene 3: "The intruder choked the woman and bound her with duct tape, tossing her into her own vehicle where she was kept as a hostage."

Scene 4: "He and a female accomplice beat the woman and held her for 2 days without food or water before a police traffic stop luckily ended the ordeal." (slow zoom) "A shovel was found in the vehicle."

Scene 5: (Woman answers door at night with gun on her hip, and refuses to open the door to the stranger. As he kicks at the door she produces the weapon causing the man to flee. She dials 9-1-1 as she watches him run away.) "This whole situation could have been avoided. To find out how, contact the National Rifle Association." ( website - phone number on screen ... police cars with flashing lights in front of woman's home in background. Fade to black.)

It wouldn't cost much if it were offered as a "Public Service Message." "This is a public service message brought to you by those who support the Right to Keep and Bear Arms."

Who would like to produce some YouTube test videos like this with me? I have some time on my hands. Any takers? I'm in San Diego county.

great idea start a new post with "RKBA youtube video idea" and you might attract some interest there is a lot of talent here!
False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
-- Cesare Beccaria http://www.a-human-right.com/
Old 12-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Great idea. But, I wonder how many of the networks would carry it?

Old 12-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega13device View Post
Yes. Use one of those video-intercom systems to look at the visitors and get them to identify themselves and their business. They are not expensive and it keeps the resident in control of the situation.

In that other thread "wrongful death lawyer needed", such a system also would have saved the situation, I believe. It's cheap insurance.

In the 2016 election, Libertarian voters threw the swing states of Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Minnesota, New Hampshire, and Maine to Hillary, for a total of 38 electoral college votes. Hillary would have created a permanent a permanent entitlement class and permanent Democratic control over the US.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:02 PM

maybe we can develop a following through the internet and possibly help enlist the NRA??

New NRA safety program!!
Old 12-11-2008, 10:19 PM

Last year my wife was home alone with the baby while I was at work when a Guy came around offering a free carpet cleaning to demonstrate a Kirby vacuum cleaner. She said okay, then he said he would come back later. After he left she got a bad feeling, fearing exactly the situation that this woman encountered, so she armed herself. The guy comes back and she has the baby on one hip and a Glock on the other. Everything was nice and civil after that.

Unfortunately, I came home that night and discovered that we had just spent $1000 on a vacuum cleaner, then I wished she had just shot the guy when he came in the door.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member

I just saw this on the news. They showed her in the hospital, her face was probably 90% purple from bruises.. And they found a shovel in the trunk next to her.. What is wrong with people nowadays.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:48 PM

On 01/09/2005 While at work I was beaten and my wife was assaulted. I was almost killed. My wife slipped away as I fought off two guys. She called 911 while I was being beaten, and 911 never answered - ever. They never picked-up. It just rang. One ran off and I was able to slip away from the second. After I slipped a way I collapsed for a minute, when i got up i took the phone from my wife hung-up 911 and dialed the sheriffs department directly.

I was beat relentlessly for approximately ten straight minutes. How do we know this? From the time my wife began the 911 call to the time i called the sheriffs department was 11 minutes according the phone records. 911 never picked-up. Cops showed about 35 to 40 minutes later. I was off to the ER.

Dial 911 and die.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:07 PM

wow, somebody give this man and oscar??? or toni??? somebody give something... right on brother...

Quote:
Well, you get national pro-gun organizations
like the NRA and GOA to produce 45-second TV commercials about things like this, and spend some of the millions we send to them on public education and awareness.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:08 PM

Default Best ways to get the message out?

These stories are increasing. I want to warn everyone (I care about) to really GET PREPARED but am frequently written off as some kind of nut. How can we be passionate about getting the word out to folks without sounding like a fanatic? (Don't get me wrong, I am willing to look like a fanatic to keep folks safe, but I'd rather get the message out effectively.)
Thanks in advance!NRA_Life.jpg

Last edited by Sheepdog; 12-11-2008 at 11:11 PM..
Old 12-12-2008, 12:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock22Fan View Post
Problem is, of course, how do you get someone to carry inside the home when it's not routine for most of the day? My wife for one finds it silly at times to carry inside the house while perfectly fine to do so out of the house-it does seem a little awkward to do so when there's no part of the natural day that it goes with and kind of draws attention to itself. It's no big deal at all if you put your holster on (or in your pocket) at the beginning of the day and take it off at the end as you take a shower or go to sleep. Needs no further explanation. Also, aren't you more vulnerable when coming and going from the house, as that's when you have the door open and often hands full of stuff like groceries, trash, etc.?
In Pennsylvania Your permit to carry concealed is called a License to carry fire arms. Other states call it a CCW. In New Jersey it's called a crime.
Discretionary Issue is the new Separate but Equal.
Old 12-12-2008, 6:08 AM
Veteran Member

The TV commercial ideas are great, but my question is "Why has the NRA/GOA/etc. never, or hardly ever had any TV spots on this issue? (or have they?)" I would love absolutely to see some PSAs, but am I not the only one who thinks that the media business wouldn't allow it because of their extreme bias in favor of disarming law abiding citizens and arming violent criminals? This story is exactly what the mainstream news media craves because it's sensationalism and entertainment ratings... If this woman was armed and ready to pop the brains of this scum, the entertainment news media wouldn't have entertainment. This is why the communist left winged media wants BHO and his like followers to take the 2A away from us and give OUR FAs to the scum bucket class gangbangers, rapists, child killers, elder abusers, etc. Sorry to sound so cold and callused, but this is really the truth. My heart, prayers go out to the victim and her family/friends.

Erik.
Old 12-12-2008, 6:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty1 View Post
great idea start a new post with "RKBA youtube video idea" and you might attract some interest there is a lot of talent here!

gravedigger is right on the money with this one! One of the reasons the "Fairness Doctrine" was tossed is because it was pointed out that there are now many alternative ways to get info out to the public. YouTube is one such way. So, why haven't/aren't we using it? Videos such this would be dirt cheap to make & free to distribute. We should start finding actors tomorrow.

The Raisuli
Old 12-12-2008, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulay El Raisuli View Post
gravedigger is right on the money with this one! One of the reasons the "Fairness Doctrine" was tossed is because it was pointed out that there are now many alternative ways to get info out to the public. YouTube is one such way. So, why haven't/aren't we using it? Videos such this would be dirt cheap to make & free to distribute. We should start finding actors tomorrow.

The Raisuli
OCCCWS (Ordinary California Citizens Concerned With Safety) has put together a few of these. Here is a link to their video page:

http://www.occcws.com/?cat=12
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. - Lazarus Long
Old 12-12-2008, 7:28 AM
Veteran Member

I saw this story on the news this morning.... They showed the victim in her hospital bed... Looks like they worked her over pretty badly.....

In a perfect world, I'd have them put down like the rabid animals they are.... But I would settle for them never being loose on society again.
Old 12-12-2008, 7:49 AM

Quote:

Good idea, but how about this? Maybe somehow change having the cop cars in front of her house with flashing lights (intimating that they arrived promptly after her call), to her getting exasperated waiting and waiting for the cops to show up, which may be closer to reality. That may capitalize on the idea that people need to make sure they can take responsibility for their own safety because "when seconds count, help is only minutes away".

Old 12-12-2008, 9:21 AM

I wonder if the best way for us to start changing things is to start running and holding political offices. that way, we no longer depend on people who claim to represent our interests and vote on their beliefs. maybe we need more people in office more sympathetic to our cause.
Old 12-12-2008, 7:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega13device View Post

She'd had a business interaction with this guy before. But just the same, she should've been suspicious of him returning to her house with that cock and bull story about breaking up with his girl friend and needing a phone! If you've lived 75 years on this planet and still get sucked in by that kind of hogwash then what can be said for you?
Old 12-13-2008, 9:04 AM

I was born and raised in San Jose, and after I came back from the Navy in 1978 I [illegally] carried a 1911 Colt Commander which I used on several occasions to defend myself againts "maniacs". I moved away in 1979 to another state and [also] carrried [illegally] and I have lived in several states since. I moved back to "Kalifornia" in 1999 and realized that "Kalifornia" sucks for many reasons and moved to another state. I [finally] decided to get a permit in Florida in 2000 and carry legally. I now live in Phoenix [with an Az. CCW permit] and I carry every where/every day [and] I would move to another state if the laws here changed. I think the chance of "Kalifornia" ever adopting "shall issue" carry laws similar to other states is thinner than a piece of paper and I suggest you come to Phoenix; it's nice here. I have needed to draw my weapon in several states over the years and I cannot imagine living [again] in a state where I would be forced to carry illegally.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rose View Post
On 01/09/2005 While at work I was beaten and my wife was assaulted. I was almost killed. My wife slipped away as I fought off two guys. She called 911 while I was being beaten, and 911 never answered - ever. They never picked-up. It just rang. One ran off and I was able to slip away from the second. After I slipped a way I collapsed for a minute, when i got up i took the phone from my wife hung-up 911 and dialed the sheriffs department directly.

I was beat relentlessly for approximately ten straight minutes. How do we know this? From the time my wife began the 911 call to the time i called the sheriffs department was 11 minutes according the phone records. 911 never picked-up. Cops showed about 35 to 40 minutes later. I was off to the ER.

Dial 911 and die.
Listen to this man. I haven't seen all of his posts, but the posts of his that I have seen have been right on the money. My experience with 911 is that "when seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

911 won't save anyone in a situation like this. The only things that can save someone in a situation like this are luck and a firearm. You protect yourself.