Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 08-03-2017, 8:02 PM

Default (GENERAL How Does Registration Work thread)

This is not a debate of whether it is a good idea to register or not so please don't talk about it!!!

This is only to help people understand the system if and when they plan on registering.

Ok so today is the first day registration is available, and I had been prepared before hand with photos and acquisition info all ready to save some time. I have also already had a CFARS account made for other applications.

I have a total of 28 firearms I planned on registering. 20 of them were bought firearms, the last 8 are all built from 80%ers.

I still have a few other AR rifles that I am not registering.

I started at 5:30pm

My login credentials did not work because my password expired(expires every few months). So once I updated my password I was logged in and ready to go.

Once logged in, there was no option to register, so I clicked on the CRIS link and on the left hand side it showed an option for AW registration.

Went through the form and it was pretty self explanatory.

Name and info already pREFILLED, just verify... NEXT

Do you have an AWR(assault weapon registration number)? Don't know what this is. It I imagine it's for people who have to resubmit due to error or after they receive a serial number for their home built guns. SKIP

IS THE FIREARM SELF BUILT? Yes or no

Do you intend to joint register? Yes or no (selecting yes opens new info fields of joint registrant)

Firearm type
Make
Model
Caliber
Firearm color
Barrel length
Barrel length measurement units (inch or centimeters)
Serial number
Re enter serial number (no copy paste allowed)
Other number SKIP
FIREARM COUNTRY OF ORIGIN (USA)
Date acquired (DOJ WANTS THE DATE DROS WAS STARTED)
Acquired from (dealer, private party, family member, etc)
Name and address of where you acquired firearm
Comments

Then for the photos...

Link to add documents

Then it asks you what file type and gives a drop down menu of what the photo is supposed to depict.. (left side of receiver, ride side of receiver, bullet button, entire firearm, etc)

You can uploaded one photo at a time but need to do all 4 photos before hitting "back" or "done"

Once done uploading it returns you to the form, scroll to the top and have to accept their privacy notice, scroll down back to the firearm info and wait for category field to reappear (for some reason it disappears) otherwise when u click submit it will give you an error.

Once done, click preview at the bottom and it redirects you to a page that allows you to review your submission.. then click accept, and submit final.

Once you submit it will bring you to the receipt page.. you can print yoUr receipt at this page. If you have any additional firearms to register, the left hand side has a menu and you can click on the AW registration form again and start all over.

You will see your cart go up one number for each form you submit. Once done, you can view your cart, review, then checkout..

20 firearms cost me $15

Email receipt after payment submitted
Finished 8:45 PM

Now I still have 8 more firearms I plan on registering, they just were not ready like the last ones. They are also home builds, so I decided to submit these first and see if the DOJ sends them back or clarifying what they want if I did something wrong... whoever I have to resubmit can go on the next batch with the homebuilt guns making sure I do everything right the second time.

Hope this is helpful, and remember, this isn't a discussion thread as to whether it's a good idea or not, rather just to help someone going through the system. Good luck

Last edited by caliguy93; 09-25-2017 at 12:18 PM..
Old 08-03-2017, 8:05 PM

Also, for "multi" marked receivers, you can select "firearm with interchangeable barrels" for the caliber.

If your "make" is not listed in the drop down menu, select "U S" and enter your make and model into the model text box. You should also enter make and model into the comments field
Old 08-03-2017, 8:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

God bless yah man.. My option was a bit more time consuming and cost more... but total freedom when I let them and their standard capacity mags out to shoot at my backyard range in AZ... They're all staying there until the call to free Sacramento goes out...
Old 08-03-2017, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggie View Post
You were the guy who posted a pic of an AUG and asking what kind of firearm it was, but now I see that you have built many rifles from lowers. Seems to me you would have known what an AUG was.
hmmm

Maybe you work for the DOJ?
no sir, i was the one who posted that i have one, i wasn't the OP in that thread.. i included the quote from that thread for reference. please no trolling here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy93 View Post
I got mine last year making it eligible to register

Old 08-03-2017, 8:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Sweet Steyr! Was looking at an all match BNZ STG 45 this morning.. that Augs grand pappy..
Old 08-03-2017, 8:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
no sir, i was the one who posted that i have one, i wasn't the OP in that thread.. i included the quote from that thread for reference. please no trolling here.
Oh you're right. My mistake. My apologies.
Old 08-03-2017, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von_Richthofen View Post
Sweet Steyr! Was looking at an all match BNZ STG 45 this morning.. that Augs grand pappy..
its an MSAR STG556 clone, but i sure do love it
Old 08-03-2017, 8:23 PM
Veteran Member

For mine that said multi.. I just picked the actual caliber I built them in..

I'm sure there's going to be a bit of back and forth here in the beginning. Whatevs.

I like to get out in front of stuff like this before the system gets flooded with submissions or they start having server problems
Old 08-03-2017, 8:26 PM
Veteran Member

I'm interested in seeing how this goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
A real live woman is more expensive than a fleshlight. Which would you rather have?
Old 08-03-2017, 8:35 PM
Calguns Addict

OK, I get your point and the intent to be "helpful" with your post - but why so soon is a genuine question?

Unless it's so you have merit and stance in filing a lawsuit against the DOJ and friends, I really see no reason to play along and give credibility to their protocol and ask (mandate) so soon.

I truly don't think this thing in how they have presented it will stand on 90% of its legs after the NRA and CRPA shreds it to bits, and all you are doing is giving the DOJ sustenance.

So while I don't agree with registration at all, knowing what they are pitching is useful - but there is plenty of time to see how this evolves and I don't agree with getting in the plow-line so soon.

In the least, join as a plaintiff in the lawsuit being assembled; make your stunt more than just a promotional pitch for registration since you've already capitulated to giving up your liberties.

Good luck.
What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?
Old 08-03-2017, 8:35 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

I've got some I'm going to need/want to register. Good to see the process laid out step by step. I guess. Effing CA.
Old 08-03-2017, 8:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Nice countertops!
Old 08-03-2017, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gleam View Post
OK, I get your point and the intent to be "helpful" with your post - but why so soon is a genuine question?

Unless it's so you have merit and stance in filing a lawsuit against the DOJ and friends, I really see no reason to play along and give credibility to their protocol and ask (mandate) so soon.

I truly don't think this thing in how they have presented it will stand on 90% of its legs after the NRA and CRPA shreds it to bits, and all you are doing is giving the DOJ sustenance.

So while I don't agree with registration at all, knowing what they are pitching is useful - but there is plenty of time to see how this evolves and I don't agree with getting in the plow-line so soon.

In the least, join as a plaintiff in the lawsuit being assembled; make your stunt more than just a promotional pitch for registration since you've already capitulated to giving up your liberties.

Good luck.
With regards to the "why so soon" question, I personally feel better knowing I'm not procrastinating what I know I'm willing to do anyways. I also have a pretty busy next year coming up and don't want to risk stressing out later. I also believe that sometimes it pays to be one of the first before the system is figured out on their end. Sometimes things get slipped by, and sometimes it's the opposite.

I also know it will give everyone a decent idea of the time frame of the process.

I have submitted an email to the potential plaintiff contact and haven't heard back.

I also don't think it will validate the process by doing it. We're forced to, they can't generate validation by compliance when criminality is the alternative
Old 08-03-2017, 8:43 PM

Quote:
This is not a debate of whether it is a good idea to register or not so please don't talk about it!!!

This is only to help people understand the system if and when they plan on registering.

Ok so today is the first day registration is available, and I had been prepared before hand with photos and acquisition info all ready to save some time. I have also already had a CFARS account made for other applications.

I have a total of 28 firearms I planned on registering. 20 of them were bought firearms, the last 8 are all built from 80%ers.

I still have a few other AR rifles that I am not registering.

I started at 5:30pm

My login credentials did not work because my password expired(expires every few months). So once I updated my password I was logged in and ready to go.

Once logged in, there was no option to register, so I clicked on the CRIS link and on the left hand side it showed an option for AW registration.

Went through the form and it was pretty self explanatory.

Name and info already pREFILLED, just verify... NEXT

Do you have an AWR(assault weapon registration number)? Don't know what this is. It I imagine it's for people who have to resubmit due to error or after they receive a serial number for their home built guns. SKIP

IS THE FIREARM SELF BUILT? Yes or no

Do you intend to joint register? Yes or no (selecting yes opens new info fields of joint registrant)

Firearm type
Make
Model
Caliber
Firearm color
Barrel length
Barrel length measurement units (inch or centimeters)
Serial number
Re enter serial number (no copy paste allowed)
Other number SKIP
FIREARM COUNTRY OF ORIGIN (USA)
Date acquired
Acquired from (dealer, private party, family member, etc)
Name and address of where you acquired firearm
Comments

Then for the photos...

Link to add documents

Then it asks you what file type and gives a drop down menu of what the photo is supposed to depict.. (left side of receiver, ride side of receiver, bullet button, entire firearm, etc)

You can uploaded one photo at a time but need to do all 4 photos before hitting "back" or "done"

Once done uploading it returns you to the form, scroll to the top and have to accept their privacy notice, scroll down back to the firearm info and wait for category field to reappear (for some reason it disappears) otherwise when u click submit it will give you an error.

Once done, click preview at the bottom and it redirects you to a page that allows you to review your submission.. then click accept, and submit final.

Once you submit it will bring you to the receipt page.. you can print yoUr receipt at this page. If you have any additional firearms to register, the left hand side has a menu and you can click on the AW registration form again and start all over.

You will see your cart go up one number for each form you submit. Once done, you can view your cart, review, then checkout..

20 firearms cost me $15

Email receipt after payment submitted
Finished 8:45 PM

Now I still have 8 more firearms I plan on registering, they just were not ready like the last ones. They are also home builds, so I decided to submit these first and see if the DOJ sends them back or clarifying what they want if I did something wrong... whoever I have to resubmit can go on the next batch with the homebuilt guns making sure I do everything right the second time.

Hope this is helpful, and remember, this isn't a discussion thread as to whether it's a good idea or not, rather just to help someone going through the system. Good luck
Can you tell us how your images were formatted?
Resolution? Color or B/W? Jpeg, png, tif, pdf etc?
WTB: Pietta 45lc conversion cylinder
Old 08-03-2017, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sousuke View Post
Can you tell us how your images were formatted?
Resolution? Color or B/W? Jpeg, png, tif, pdf etc?
My photos were taken with an iPhone flat in my kitchen counter. I didn't adjust anything in the photo. Just made sure I had clear photos of the serial number, bullet button, and both sides of the full length of the firearm.

Not sure if they will like it or not
Old 08-03-2017, 8:53 PM
Veteran Member

Tag for July 2018
Old 08-03-2017, 8:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
My photos were taken with an iPhone flat in my kitchen counter. I didn't adjust anything in the photo. Just made sure I had clear photos of the serial number, bullet button, and both sides of the full length of the firearm.

Not sure if they will like it or not
When they say self built do they mean 80% firearms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
You're weird. But that's ok because you're far away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalker View Post
Hispanic my left asscheek, that boy is cracked out on jihad
Old 08-03-2017, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Rock View Post
When they say self built do they mean 80% firearms?
That's the assumption. My guess is checking the box triggers them to have to issue a serial number and automatically puts your form on hold.. this is purely speculation though
Old 08-03-2017, 9:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed_SS View Post
For mine that said multi.. I just picked the actual caliber I built them in..

I'm sure there's going to be a bit of back and forth here in the beginning. Whatevs.

I like to get out in front of stuff like this before the system gets flooded with submissions or they start having server problems
I'd argue that software problems are more likely in the initial release, as unthought of scenarios and bugs are worked out.

As well, we may wind up getting an injunction/ruling that changes the data that DOJ is allowed to collect, and may negate some of their underground rulemaking. ( Shotguns, anyone? )

I wouldn't leave registrations to the last week, but I'm holding off until the landscape is much more clear. Q2 next year sound about right.

-- Michael
Old 08-03-2017, 9:04 PM
Shiny
CGN Contributor

I thank you for the info and the how-its-gonna-work but to the state of (small c) california I say 'no thank you'. I'm not gonna go that way with my rifles, I think. I'll maintain my options but I doubt I'll utilize that particular option.
Old 08-03-2017, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elSquid View Post
I'd argue that software problems are more likely in the initial release, as unthought of scenarios and bugs are worked out.

As well, we may wind up getting an injunction/ruling that changes the data that DOJ is allowed to collect, and may negate some of their underground rulemaking. ( Shotguns, anyone? )

I wouldn't leave registrations to the last week, but I'm holding off until the landscape is much more clear. Q2 next year sound about right.

-- Michael
True, it could happen.

My thought process is that no court rulings on the matter until after the registration period closes.. and any results modifying the regulations or the statute, will really affect those that have registered.

There's also the possibility of an injunction like you said, and the DOj shutting down the registration system during the injunction, at which no one will be able to register again making it even worse and even more curious for those that have already submitted information to the system.

Who knows, time and luck is never on our side
Old 08-03-2017, 9:07 PM

Im wondering what the privacy notice said that you agreed to
Old 08-03-2017, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trriemferent View Post
Im wondering what the privacy notice said that you agreed to
Here ya go

Old 08-03-2017, 9:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Also, for "multi" marked receivers, you can select "firearm with interchangeable barrels" for the caliber.
Very interesting. So, if someone registers AR10 or AR15 as "interchangeable", it opens an interesting option to legally snap 50BMG on it.

Last edited by riderr; 08-03-2017 at 9:30 PM..
Old 08-03-2017, 9:34 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

Quote:
they can't generate validation by compliance when criminality is the alternative
See attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HDT.jpg (9.3 KB, 420 views)

Last edited by Spyder; 08-03-2017 at 9:37 PM..
Old 08-03-2017, 9:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
That's the assumption. My guess is checking the box triggers them to have to issue a serial number and automatically puts your form on hold.. this is purely speculation though
I went ahead and picked no on that one. As for caliber I chose 5.56x45mm NATO. That's what it says on my barrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
You're weird. But that's ok because you're far away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalker View Post
Hispanic my left asscheek, that boy is cracked out on jihad
Old 08-03-2017, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Rock View Post
I went ahead and picked no on that one. As for caliber I chose 5.56x45mm NATO. That's what it says on my barrel.
Barrel is irrelevant, unless it's considered a serialized weapon by the law. The vast majority of long rifles are serialized by the lower.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member

Just a question on the home builds, you didn't try registering those yet? It was my understanding they won't even accept the application if you didn't have the requisite DOJ serial number and proof it was engraved right, but if they have it as an option maybe the processes could be linked? It would really be cool if they made it so that the process for obtaining the serial number was integrated into the application so the two things were not completely separate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMACA_MFG View Post
Not checkers, not chess, its Jenga.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 08-03-2017, 10:14 PM
No Prisoners!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:

-- Michael
^ I'm totally in line with this^ I don't see any reason to jump into registration yet. I don't have any Lemming genes. Besides, there is a chance we will get some relief.

- I'd like to know what happens if someone doesn't know the name and address of the person they bought the firearm from. Because I sure don't, and there was no requirement for me to keep records. Some purchases were made almost 10 years ago, hell I cannot remember what I had for lunch.

- If I register a rifle as 300BO, but one day put a 5.56 upper on it do I get my pee pee whacked or what? What if I rattle can it? Oh no, its pink not black...I go to jail?

- I'm also waiting to see what kinds of pictures get rejected. I'm not a good photographer when it comes to taking photos of my guns to give to the Commie rats in Sac.

I'm still in the process of deciding what I'm going to register anyway.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderr View Post
Very interesting. So, if someone registers AR10 or AR15 as "interchangeable", it opens an interesting option to legally snap 50BMG on it.
Nope, If you tried that, you would be manufacturing an illegal 50BMG rifle. The Penal Code CLEARLY spells out the date you had to acquire/manufacture a "50 BMG rifle". If you feel that there's a way around this, please, let us know. As an avid 50 shooter, I'd love to be able to own a few more.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE
Old 08-03-2017, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

-- Michael
I agree on waiting, but it's good people are registering and sharing their experiences now. The dumb move is registering and NOT sharing your experience with anyone.

If someone asked me if I would be more comfortable not registering for a few months and waiting for an injunction as opposed to registering now and waiting for an injunction I would definetly pick the option where I did not have to submit tons of info into the "cloud" of evil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMACA_MFG View Post
Not checkers, not chess, its Jenga.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 08-03-2017, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
Nope, If you tried that, you would be manufacturing an illegal 50BMG rifle. The Penal Code CLEARLY spells out the date you had to acquire/manufacture a "50 BMG rifle". If you feel that there's a way around this, please, let us know. As an avid 50 shooter, I'd love to be able to own a few more.
I would probably argue that changing an upper on AW lower is manufacturing, regardless the barrel caliber.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:02 PM

Well, I just tried to simply create my CFARS account and every time I click "I agree" it loops me back to the main screen with a message that the system is currently unavailable.

Looks like it didn't take long to break.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:36 PM

Well the good news is that the deadline has been expanded until June 30 2018.

Plenty of time to buy more ammo in the meantime and some uppers after the New Year.

We'll cover you if it doesn't work out...
Old 08-04-2017, 3:33 AM

Smile

In on 2

Democrats, Liberals, Socialists and all election losers. We are sorry you are in darkness now. You need to undertake the TARD protocol to become rational again.
Old 08-04-2017, 4:38 AM

"This post is informative of the process only."
LET US ALL THROW OUR $.02 IN ON THE WHY

... lol, gotta love calguns.

Thank you for sharing your process experience.
Old 08-04-2017, 4:42 AM
Janitors assistant
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I will delete off topic posts and temp ban trolling posters.

Thanks for the info on process OP
Old 08-04-2017, 5:06 AM

I looked into the site. I did not see an option for joint owners? I wanted to put my son's name in. Is that option still available?

Last edited by MarikinaMan; 08-04-2017 at 5:09 AM..
Old 08-04-2017, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarikinaMan View Post
I looked into the site. I did not see an option for joint owners? I wanted to put my son's name in. Is that option still available?
I peeked and I think I saw that option at the top right of the registration form page.
Old 08-04-2017, 5:46 AM

^^^Found it.