Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 07-26-2017, 2:10 AM

Default Twin Sisters Gun Club Sues

Twin Sisters Gun Club is Suing the County for a Taking

Article Here.

http://www.dailyrepublic.com/solano-...federal-court/

Complaint here

FAIRFIELD — The owner of Twin Sisters Gun Club claims Solano County violated his civil rights by depriving him of the use of his property in a lawsuit filed Friday in federal court in Sacramento.

Thomas Bock, represented by Michel & Associates of Long Beach, cites the Fifth and 14th amendments in his claim seeking compensation for his loss of rights, lost profits, attorney fees and other costs. No specific amount is cited.

Both constitutional amendments refer to protection of property rights through due process of law.

Bock’s attorney, Scott Franklin, was out of the office this week and not available for comment. Deputy County Counsel Davina Smith, who argued the case for the county, also was out of the office Monday and Tuesday.County Counsel Dennis Bunting did not return a call seeking comment.

The suit specifically names Bill Emlen, director of the Department of Resource Management, Minh C. Tran, the Napa County county counsel, and Solano County. It leaves open the possibility for other defendants.

Tran served as the hearing officer during Bock’s appeal of Solano County’s denial of a business license. Tran ruled April 24 in favor of the county.

At the center of Bock’s assertion is that Twin Sisters had a historical record as a gun club dating back to 1951 and that Solano County had twice determined it was a legal nonconforming use for the zoning established for the 160 acres located on Twin Sisters Road.

The lawsuit argues the county, and later the hearing officer, ignored those asserted facts in making their determinations. That includes a 2015 code enforcement investigation that concluded “that the gun club was legal nonconforming and did not require any use permits to continue.”

Deputy County Counsel Davina Smith said at the time that the enforcement officer did not have the final say, which the suit contends is an “unwritten policy” used by the county is this matter.

The lawsuit further states that neighbors who had complained about the gun club’s activities – particularly the escalation of noise – used the 2015 death of Bock’s brother, Craig Bock, “as an opportunity to exploit” the situation and intensify their pressure on the county.

Craig Bock had operated the gun club prior to his fatal motorcycle accident.

Thomas Bock in an interview told the Daily Republic that he took over running the club to provide a source of income for his brother’s family.

Neighbors in the area did initiate a petition campaign as well as other direct complaints with county officials about what they said was an escalating use and noise from the club.

The county concluded that the uses on the land had changed significantly over the years and did not meet the standard of a legal, nonconforming use.

Reach Todd R. Hansen at 427-6932 or thansen@dailyrepublic.net.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Twin Sisters Gun Club Complaint.pdf (245.2 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by wolfwood; 07-26-2017 at 2:18 AM..
Old 10-05-2017, 12:40 PM

Yep now its a 3 hr drive to be a free man from napa (yes there are overcrowded public ranges closer)...
I wish them the best of luck seeing how "napa council " is involved, the afforded blm the luxury of closing Knoxville's ability to be used to shoot manny years ago.
Old 10-06-2017, 9:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Hope they prevail. Not optimistic. If they do, the membership will be reduced significantly. That will give them far more control over the club and eliminate the problems that led to them being shut down
Old 10-07-2017, 9:20 PM

"The lawsuit further states that neighbors who had complained about the gun club’s activities – particularly the escalation of noise – used the 2015 death of Bock’s brother, Craig Bock, 'as an opportunity to exploit' the situation and intensify their pressure on the county.

Craig Bock had operated the gun club prior to his fatal motorcycle accident.

Thomas Bock in an interview told the Daily Republic that he took over running the club to provide a source of income for his brother’s family."

Might be Craig's death was the cusp, and after that Thomas started running it hard to make more money to help the family out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
Hope they prevail. Not optimistic. If they do, the membership will be reduced significantly. That will give them far more control over the club and eliminate the problems that led to them being shut down
A much lower amount of gunslinging sounds like a good plan. The antis do have a point in that the level of activity was significantly different in the past. As much as I hate Big Brother, it did get a little wild there, what with throwing lead at the neighbors & what not.

I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence
I would advise violence. - M. Gandhi
You're my kind of stupid. - M. Reynolds
Old 10-08-2017, 5:33 AM

Good luck to Twin Sisters, I've never been, but always wanted to go, from what I've heard a great place to shoot....
Front Sight DG
CRPA, USPSA, AOPA, EAA, CCW: CA & AZ
Yes, I'm related to Texas Jack
Old 10-08-2017, 6:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb View Post
Yep now its a 3 hr drive to be a free man from napa (yes there are overcrowded public ranges closer)...
I wish them the best of luck seeing how "napa council " is involved, the afforded blm the luxury of closing Knoxville's ability to be used to shoot manny years ago.
Spent most of the first 45 years of my life in Napa. Moved out when the Bay Area libs moved in and turned it into a $...hole. Glad to be out. Now just got to get out of Cali all together.
Joshua 24:15.