Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 12-01-2008, 5:01 PM
In Memoriam

Default Apple Seed Shoot in Norcal at Sac Valley

I was at the range today and the GM told me there was going to be one of these, so I grabbed a flyer to post the info here. I'm not involved in putting these on, but I know there is a lot of interest.

Match Director Sac Valley Vintage Military Rifle Long Range Match
Old 12-01-2008, 11:15 PM

This is an excellent program. Good training and fun. I was at the first one in California and have been to another after that. They said they were going to start spreading up north, but were uncertain where to start.

I am going to Piru Appleseed on the 13th
Old 12-01-2008, 11:19 PM

Are they going to have the rental guns available? Don't have a suitable gun for this, nor does the girl friend, but would like to get her to go.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf13 View Post
Are they going to have the rental guns available? Don't have a suitable gun for this, nor does the girl friend, but would like to get her to go.
They have loaner 10/22's, but you need to arrange that in advance. Look on the website, I think you will find it there.

Girlfriend should definitely go, people bring their kids and wives.
Old 12-02-2008, 9:46 AM

I'm thinking about doing this, but unsure what rifle to take:

AR15 in 6.5 Grendel, Bipod, Scoped. But 500 rounds of ammo is $$$
AR15 in 5.56/.223, Iron Sights.
Romanian AES 10-B, Bipod.
10/22 in .17 HM2

Thoughts? I'm leaning toward the AES or Iron Sight AR15.

"I point out the obvious because if I belabor the subtle it only leaves people slack-jawed and drooling." - Bill Heavey
Old 12-02-2008, 9:46 AM

Ok, good to know. I went to the website, but it isn't up on it. If I get my m1 carbine fixed, I'll probably use that, and have the gf use one of the 10/22s.
Old 12-02-2008, 7:00 PM

Just noticed they added it to the schedule. But I can't find anywhere about the loaner guns. I found it before, but can't now, and couldn't mention anything when I signed up. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by wolf13; 12-02-2008 at 7:06 PM..
Old 12-02-2008, 8:16 PM

Here is a link to the Appleseed thread (below this one)

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...=83207&page=11

And if you have questions, Leonidas, or Bob.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=14908

I would PM him. I know they have loaners, it's just a matter of reserving one before hand.

emc00, A scope is OK as long as it is on 1x mag. But a Bipod, you will not need.
Old 12-02-2008, 8:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Just HAD to happen during SHOT .

How do Appleseed shoots accurately simulate bullet drop and wind when shooting .22s at 25 yards?
These posts are Fiction. They do not contain legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer. Any resemblance to real persons are pure coincidence. These posts may pose an inhalation hazard, reading can be harmful or fatal. No statements made on this forum are meant to represent any corporate or business entity, others, or myself. Especially not myself.

Stop duping answers, help expand the FAQ.

Why yes, that is me in my avatar and yes, I AM wearing a life jacket.

WTS Keltec P11
Old 12-02-2008, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques View Post
Here is a link to the Appleseed thread (below this one)

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...=83207&page=11

And if you have questions, Leonidas, or Bob.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=14908

I would PM him. I know they have loaners, it's just a matter of reserving one before hand.

emc00, A scope is OK as long as it is on 1x mag. But a Bipod, you will not need.
Thanks! I sent him a PM just now. Looking forward to doing this, almost signed up for one of the ones down south last year, just couldn't make it down there. Hoping the girl friend will enjoy it, and learn a lot, I know I will.
Old 12-02-2008, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DedEye View Post

How do Appleseed shoots accurately simulate bullet drop and wind when shooting .22s at 25 yards?
You don't. It is an AQT. Same as military. Same scoring distance etc.

Most people have Garands, AR's or clones, Enfields, keltecs, SKS, and others. A .22 does not have that kick, but the purpose is to teach the steps involved with being able to shoot. Proper form in prone, sitting and standing, a lot of safety, sling usage and actually trying out what you learn.

I did not get a rifleman score my first 2 with my AR clone. But maybe next time I put peep sights on my 10/22 and a sling attachment, I may try that.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:17 PM

I think I might be going, and with a peep-sighted, sling-holding 10/22. And maybe an auto bolt release, those are nice to have.

@ DedEye, true, the drop and wind dope aren't there so much, but all the fundamentals of (as Cooper put it) holding, aiming, and squeezing are the same, and having shot longer distances with a slung M1 Garand, I'd say the 25m AQT is at least as hard, maybe even harder, because those simulated 400m targets have an X-ring (actually a V-ring) of about 1" in diameter. 4MOA doesn't sound like much off a bench, but shot for time from an unsupported position, it's pretty tricky.

Hope to see y'all there.
Old 12-08-2008, 9:42 PM

Great program to learn to shoot for a very reasonable price. I have already recruited someone to join me. I can't wait to learn to shoot sitting, prone and standing. One day I will be a rifleman!
Old 12-08-2008, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC'sBobcat View Post
I think I might be going, and with a peep-sighted, sling-holding 10/22. And maybe an auto bolt release, those are nice to have.

@ DedEye, true, the drop and wind dope aren't there so much, but all the fundamentals of (as Cooper put it) holding, aiming, and squeezing are the same, and having shot longer distances with a slung M1 Garand, I'd say the 25m AQT is at least as hard, maybe even harder, because those simulated 400m targets have an X-ring (actually a V-ring) of about 1" in diameter. 4MOA doesn't sound like much off a bench, but shot for time from an unsupported position, it's pretty tricky.

Hope to see y'all there.
That is what I have going on. Just got a 10/22 at Uncle Pauls for $199.

Peep sights here:

http://www.tech-sights.com/

Uncle Mikes 1 1/4" Quick Detachable Super Swivels:

http://www.uncle-mikes.com/products/...er_swivel.html make sure you get the mounting screw for the rear.

And got a drop in triger

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=736286

Now I need to get to the range and practice.
Old 12-09-2008, 7:36 AM

I went to the AS shoot here in Wyoming and it was a good deal...Even though I am a very experienced shooter some of their lessons caught me doing things wrong.

Here is the AQT target set up at 25 meters (82 feet) and let me tell you those little 400 yard targets are tough to hit.

I have a lot more pictures from the shoot, if anyone is interested I can post them.

The standard course of fire is...

10 rounds Standing in 2 minutes - possible 50 points

10 rounds Standing to Seated in 50 seconds with a mag change (load 2 & 8 or if your rifle doesn't allow that load 5 & 5)
5 rounds per target - possible 50 points

10 rounds Standing to Prone in 60 seconds with a mag change (same as above)
3 on first target, 3 on second, and 4 on last - possible 50 points

10 rounds Slowfire Prone in 5 minutes. No mag change necessary
2 on first target, 2 on second, 3 on third, and 3 on last - Double the score on this stage for 100 possible points.

Total clean score would be 250 points.

Since this is a Quick and Dirty AQT and uses only 40 rounds instead of the full blown AQT with 50, and also due to the smaller number of targets and NPOA shifts, it takes a score of 210 instead of 200 to qualify.

WOLVERINES!

Last edited by Toten Kopf; 12-09-2008 at 7:45 AM..
Old 12-09-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques View Post
That is what I have going on. Just got a 10/22 at Uncle Pauls for $199.

Peep sights here:

Uncle Mikes 1 1/4" Quick Detachable Super Swivels:

http://www.uncle-mikes.com/products/...er_swivel.html make sure you get the mounting screw for the rear.

And got a drop in triger

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=736286

Now I need to get to the range and practice.
Yep, I saw the sights and a few other things on the Appleseed forum (I'm reg'd there under almost the same user name), and starting when I get another paycheck or two in, I'll be ordering sights from their group buy (something like 15% off all Tech Sights items), then putting my extra web sling on a set of 1.25" swivels, and I need to look at that trigger pack...

Thanks for the links.
Old 12-22-2008, 3:46 PM

The Sacramento Appleseed on January 17-18, 2009 is half sold out already folks! So, make sure you reserve your spot by pre-reg'ing at www.appleseedinfo.org Who's coming to the Sacramento Appleseed?
Old 12-22-2008, 6:24 PM

I'm still thinking of it, though I might have a prior commitment that day...have to clear that up, as it's unsure, but I agreed to it months ago.
Old 12-22-2008, 9:20 PM

Bring plenty of extra magazines. You will need two magazines minimum for most of the stages but bring enough magazines to shoot all 4 stages of the AQT (40 rounds) at the end of each day. Garands need minimum 5 charger clips and bolt guns 8 stripper clips.
Old 12-24-2008, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DedEye View Post

Deadeye,
There's no drop or wind drift simulated for these events due to the 25m range. We want you to walk away from the event with the knowledge of how to take a steady field position, use a sling, adjust sights, and fire an accurate shot. If we added wind and drop to that, we'd need more than a weekend. Learn fundamental body/position mechanics with Appleseed, then a shooter can explore wind and drop on their own at full distance. Plus, if we had 'em shooting full distance the whole time, we'd spend more time hiking downrange & back than shooting.

To really appreciate wind and trajectory, NRA HP is excellent. But Appleseed gives shooters a solid background in rifle markmanship fundamentals, allowing them to step up to NRA HP with some confidence.
Old 12-27-2008, 1:37 AM

just signed up my 10/22 has a scope w/no sight provisions should i buy a new basic 10/22?

I dunno, I've never been much for guns. I mean, sure, we have the usual gun by the door, another near the TV, one in the kitchen, and another in the bedroom...and several others laying around. For the most part though, we keep our home free of guns. We are peace loving folks.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:21 PM

r08ert209cali,
If you want to hone the skill of using iron sights, I suggest Tech Sights for your 10-22. They'll replace the Ruger sights with an M16 style front and rear, which is a huge improvement.

If not, just use your scope. Scope will be far better than the Ruger factory sights.

Plus, mount 1 1/4 inch sling swivels and a Garand sling. That'll turn your humble 10-22 into a sweet practice rifle.
Old 12-29-2008, 1:57 AM

thanks.just bought a new 10/22 plan on getting the above listed sights and will use my 10/22 target model as a primary and basic 10/22 with above listed sights as a backup.

I dunno, I've never been much for guns. I mean, sure, we have the usual gun by the door, another near the TV, one in the kitchen, and another in the bedroom...and several others laying around. For the most part though, we keep our home free of guns. We are peace loving folks.
Old 12-29-2008, 2:59 PM

I just reserved spots for the wife and I for sat/sun, and am in the process of sharing the info with my friends to get them interested. I am looking forward to this event
Old 12-29-2008, 5:16 PM

Welcome aboard. There were only 10 spots left as of this afternoon; any stragglers out there, prob want to register online.
Old 12-30-2008, 8:04 AM

I wanted to post and let eveyone know I will be there as well, 10/22 with green Hoge stock and tech sights,

This will be my second Appleseed shoot, and I am hoping to bing along a few friends.....

see you all there,

Jim
Old 01-01-2009, 10:45 PM

Shooters, there are four spots remaining for the Appleseed in Sacramento, Jan 17-18.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:51 PM

I signed up for sunday only.... as well as my buddy.. I assume that it is fine todo so since you are given the option... Or should we have signed up for saturday?

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.
Old 01-02-2009, 1:28 PM

I believe that if you read the appleseed info on the event at their website, it states that all of the skills are taught on saturday, sunday is just a follow on to what has beein instructed.
Old 01-02-2009, 1:30 PM

shoot , need to change.. but I have not seen it anywhere as you state

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Last edited by pat4wd; 01-02-2009 at 1:32 PM..
Old 01-02-2009, 1:41 PM

I must be just missing it.. I dont see it anywhere what the schedule for days events

Old 01-02-2009, 1:43 PM

Pat, you're welcome either day. Attending both days would maximize your rifle skills, though. Sunday, shooters have more opportunities to practice the skills learned on Saturday. If you only have one day, Saturday offers the most rifle technique detail.
Consider the heritage aspect, too, which is the retelling of Rev War history; that is told over both days, and if you can manage it, well worth hearing.
Old 01-02-2009, 1:52 PM

How do I go about changing it to saturday? Can only swing one day right now so if saturday is better for the technique I would like to do so.. sent you a PM Also

Old 01-02-2009, 2:02 PM

Email CA@appleseedinfo.org and tell them what you'd like to do- space is limited, but an email is all you need to do. We'll work out any problem when you sign-in the morning of the shoot. Sign in starts at 8:30.
Old 01-02-2009, 2:11 PM

Done, thanks

Old 01-02-2009, 5:26 PM

I'm looking for a good service rifle type sling for my M1A Socom 16 to use as a loop sling for this event... i looked in a few stores but no one has anything that i could tell anyways. Could anyone help me out in this matter?
Old 01-02-2009, 5:43 PM

Inexpensive GI pattern sling available here:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MGR015-1.html
Old 01-02-2009, 9:02 PM

Thanks, Marion. You think that will work for a Mini-14 as well?
Old 01-02-2009, 9:06 PM

Measure the swivel on the Mini. If it has 1 1/4 inch space inside the swivel, it will fit the service sling.
1 inch swivel will be too tight for service sling.
I suppose you can change those swivels out, though if they're too small.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:19 PM

I sent an email to the link above as I'd like to go Saturday but I'd like to pay at the door.
What time does it end Saturday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I am getting old and my bull***** tolerance is rapidly diminishing.