Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 11-30-2008, 8:08 PM

Default New GI Bill questions...

Just read the pamphlet for the new GI Bill that kicks in Aug 09. See if you read this like I do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI Bill Pamphlet, Pg 2
How much will I receive?
Based on your length of active duty service, you are entitled to a percentage of the following:

-Monthly housing allowance* equal to the basic allowance for housing payable to a military E-5 with dependents, in the same zip code as your school (paid to you);
-Yearly books and supplies stipend of up to $1000 per year (paid to you); and -A one-time payment of $500 paid to certain individuals relocating from highly rural areas.

*NOTE The housing allowance and books and supplies stipend are not payable to individuals on active duty. The housing allowance is not payable to those pursuing training at half time or less or to individuals enrolled in distance learning.
So if they mean "half time" as in 6 units, you don't get it. BUT if you take 9 units and receive 3/4 time right now like I do (full time 12 units plus a full time job i don't think so!) I should be having a great year, right?
Old 12-01-2008, 11:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I think you are talking about for college right? if so i know for fact they will pay for all of school, and books and then if full time i think you may get a stipend but i dont rember anyone getting housing paid for that was on the GI bill. I hope this helps a smidge.
Old 12-02-2008, 1:30 AM

Default New GI Bill

they will pay for all of school, and books and then if your full time

You will get a stipend equal to an E5 housing allowance in San Diego that will be about 1800.00 a month...
Old 12-02-2008, 1:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecollector View Post
I think you are talking about for college right? if so i know for fact they will pay for all of school, and books and then if full time i think you may get a stipend but i dont rember anyone getting housing paid for that was on the GI bill. I hope this helps a smidge.
Depends on the school and how much the school costs, unless that's changed recently.
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

WTB: Saiga .223 bolt; HK G3 bolt; Chinese AK pistol grips; milled AK cut receiver pieces and stubs.
Old 12-02-2008, 7:36 AM
Veteran Member

the new GI Bill is totally different than the one all of you are thinking of....
Old 12-17-2008, 9:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
Depends on the school and how much the school costs, unless that's changed recently.
The new GI Bill will pay for your entire tuition up to and including the cost of the most expensive public school in the state.

So in our case, they will pay for all of UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, SDSU, CSUN, etc.

Will they pay for all of Stanford or Pepperdine? No. If you go there you'll get the same amount toward your tuition as a student at one of the most expensive publics (the UC's).
Old 12-20-2008, 4:40 PM
Veteran Member

dang... that's good for the guys getting out now... i thought i had it pretty good because i got the basic gi bill, plus $150 kicker, plus army college fund kicker (all in all about $2100 a month going 12+ units, though i rarely did less than 18).
Old 12-21-2008, 1:37 PM

At least you guys GET the GI Bill.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonchoTA View Post
At least you guys GET the GI Bill.

You're not? How come?
Old 12-22-2008, 5:55 AM

Came in in 1981, VEAP era. Put in $1800, get $5600 out. That's it. However, because the program was such a POS, our "advisor" in boot camp suggested not signing up for it because the next iteration of college help package was going to be so much better.

It turns out he was right. However, the window to sign up for VEAP closed, THEN the message came out about signing up for MGIB in 1985 IIRC. Those that were in VEAP could then transfer all of the money in the VEAP account directly into the MGIB account with no loss. If you didn't have a VEAP account with at least $1 in it, you were SOL.

A few years later, they gave us the "opportunity" to buy into the MGIB program, but only for about a month or so, and it required the full payment of $1200, no monthly payments. Hell, I was a junior E5 with a non-working B!#@& of a wife and 2 kids by then. I didn't know what $1200 even looked like, much less have it to spare.

There are thousands of us in this boat, and no chance of compensation whatsoever on the horizon. I ended up getting my degree anyway, but incurred $40,000 in student loans doing it.

20 years in the Navy and no education benefits.