Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 06-14-2017, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_P View Post
The links were on scotusblog. You may want to search there.
Ok will do.
Old 06-14-2017, 7:44 AM

I Think this is what you are looking for.

http://www.scotusblog.com/2015/09/th...cs-of-relists/

http://www.scotusblog.com/2015/09/th...cs-of-relists/
Old 06-14-2017, 7:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spalterego View Post
I checked on the site. I also checked the FAQ's on scotusblog too regarding relists.
Old 06-14-2017, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Pulse View Post
Could I receive a sample cited source?
For the third or fourth, or maybe even fifth time:

http://www.scotusblog.com/2016/10/th...ber-term-2015/
Old 06-14-2017, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfgeorge View Post
For the third or fourth, or maybe even fifth time:

http://www.scotusblog.com/2016/10/th...ber-term-2015/
So how about answering if you're excited for the pending denial of cert?
Old 06-14-2017, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowimpactuser View Post
So how about answering if you're excited for the pending denial of cert?
I have a certain level of "anticipatory excitement" about receiving an answer, any answer.

Following the statistics (what other rational, evidence-based basis is there for speculation?), I'd suspect denial of cert, as that will follow the pattern.

But, anything can happen... because there's no "reason" Peruta couldn't be one of those diminishingly-small-percentage anomalies.

IF cert IS denied, most "exciting" for me would be several lengthy, "strongly-worded" dissents from, and concurrences of, denial. That'd be good reading.

Last edited by surfgeorge; 06-14-2017 at 2:13 PM..
Old 06-14-2017, 2:16 PM

If odds (10:1 for granting cert or summary decision anyone?) were on offer, I might be inclined to take the wager. But given even odds, and since denial of cert seems the likely outcome, I am on the sidelines.
Old 06-14-2017, 3:29 PM

I'm actually thinking this might go the way of Cataeno because of the en banc shenanigans.

No cert but not a loss either. Just a "you screwed up, go read Heller".

Fast, simple, expedient, and gets everyone off the hook for a bad case decision.

Evil doesn't only come in black.

Life is like a discount bakery. Usually everything is just what you ordered. But, occasionally you come face to face with an unexpected fruitcake. Surprise!

There is no "I" in Team; no "Me" in sports; no "You" in life. However, there's a ton of "Wheeeeee!" on roller coasters.
Old 06-14-2017, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplaw View Post
I'm actually thinking this might go the way of Cataeno because of the en banc shenanigans.

Fast, simple, expedient, and gets everyone off the hook for a bad case decision.
But Caetano eventually has struck down stun gun bans. Mostly inconsequential but a definite step forward and essentially answers the bare question before the court without going any further.

Striking good cause, or liberalizing issuance of carry of guns in public in the largest state in the union would be YUGE no matter what.

There's no "compromise" on Peruta that isn't a major win or loss.
I don't know how they can per Curiam Heller without it being a major deal with major repercussions.
Old 06-14-2017, 4:22 PM

Quote:
I have a certain level of "anticipatory excitement" about receiving an answer, any answer.

Following the statistics (what other rational, evidence-based basis is there for speculation?), I'd suspect denial of cert, as that will follow the pattern.

But, anything can happen... because there's no "reason" Peruta couldn't be one of those diminishingly-small-percentage anomalies.

IF cert IS denied, most "exciting" for me would be several lengthy, "strongly-worded" dissents from, and concurrences of, denial. That'd be good reading.
No, I mean getting excited about being able to say you were right and basically forcing people to take the Kcbrown pill. And laugh at all the prognosticators who acted like they knew everything when they knew nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBrowningfan View Post
If odds (10:1 for granting cert or summary decision anyone?) were on offer, I might be inclined to take the wager. But given even odds, and since denial of cert seems the likely outcome, I am on the sidelines.
Is this about the lorax bet?
Old 06-14-2017, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Is this about the lorax bet?
Yes.
Old 06-15-2017, 9:43 AM

I'm thinking like November 8 2016...
Ready to accept defeat... but hoping for a miracle.

Happy Days
Old 06-15-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
But Caetano eventually has struck down stun gun bans. Mostly inconsequential but a definite step forward and essentially answers the bare question before the court without going any further.

Striking good cause, or liberalizing issuance of carry of guns in public in the largest state in the union would be YUGE no matter what.

There's no "compromise" on Peruta that isn't a major win or loss.
I don't know how they can per Curiam Heller without it being a major deal with major repercussions.
Well, let's just imagine that Peruta gets PC'd and there aren't any dissents or concurrences. Just: "Read Heller again."

What part of the opinion is wrong? What part of the law is struck? What part of the State's gun regulations are unconstitutional?

It would be the judicial equivalent of; "If I have to stop this car...."

Life is like a discount bakery. Usually everything is just what you ordered. But, occasionally you come face to face with an unexpected fruitcake. Surprise!

There is no "I" in Team; no "Me" in sports; no "You" in life. However, there's a ton of "Wheeeeee!" on roller coasters.
Old 06-15-2017, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Well, let's just imagine that Peruta gets PC'd and there aren't any dissents or concurrences. Just: "Read Heller again."

What part of the opinion is wrong? What part of the law is struck? What part of the State's gun regulations are unconstitutional?

It would be the judicial equivalent of; "If I have to stop this car...."
That would be read by everyone-accurately- as a peevish and childish move by SCOTUS; and lower the decorum of the institution itself.

SCOTUS, even when handing smackdowns, cites where you can improve your paper and return for full credit but with a note in your permanent record.

Returning the paper for revision with literally no content besides "see original assignment details" would be seen as degrading the last of the 3 branches, and Slate, Vox, and every other psuedointellectual would talk about the trumpification of SCOTUS with a single appointment, and hint that the Congress baseball shooter was justified.

Still a big deal.
Old 06-15-2017, 7:11 PM

Quote:

Assuming this happens, does this remand the case back to the 9th, or to the district court? A remand back to the district court followed by new appeals to the 9th will drag out a resolution for at least several more years.
Old 06-15-2017, 9:57 PM

Anyone think if enough of us called the SCOTUS clerk's office enough times tomorrow that someone there would get angry enough eventually to shout into the phone "They decided XYZ! Are you happy now! Stop calling!"?

Otherwise we gotta wait 'til Monday...
Old 06-16-2017, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometa View Post
Assuming this happens, does this remand the case back to the 9th, or to the district court? A remand back to the district court followed by new appeals to the 9th will drag out a resolution for at least several more years.
It goes back to the 9th who in turn can probably send it back to the district court depending on the circumstances. If it gets sent back due to the states intervention then yes, it'll be a waste of time since the underlying question will be ignored.
Old 06-16-2017, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Anyone think if enough of us called the SCOTUS clerk's office enough times tomorrow that someone there would get angry enough eventually to shout into the phone "They decided XYZ! Are you happy now! Stop calling!"?

Otherwise we gotta wait 'til Monday...
Unlike every other government agency SCOTUS doesn't leak.
Old 06-16-2017, 7:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplusplus View Post
I'm thinking like November 8 2016...
Ready to accept defeat... but hoping for a miracle.
I expect a few wins, some day. Whether I'm still alive to see it is the only question. This is a multi-generational fight.
Old 06-16-2017, 9:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful John View Post
In one sense, certainly. But from another perspective, kicking the can down the road gives more time for a second (J. Kennedy) or perhaps even third (J. Kennedy and J. Ginsberg) conservative Justice to be seated.
In that case, perhaps, although I'm sure the 9th will try to speed things up, render a similiar opinion and we'll be back where we started.
Old 06-16-2017, 8:03 PM

Quote:
That would be read by everyone-accurately- as a peevish and childish move by SCOTUS; and lower the decorum of the institution itself.

SCOTUS, even when handing smackdowns, cites where you can improve your paper and return for full credit but with a note in your permanent record.

Returning the paper for revision with literally no content besides "see original assignment details" would be seen as degrading the last of the 3 branches, and Slate, Vox, and every other psuedointellectual would talk about the trumpification of SCOTUS with a single appointment, and hint that the Congress baseball shooter was justified.

Still a big deal.
So what? They got it so screwed up due to political ideology that the decision doesn't match the complaint, gives undue deference to the State to intervene for no valid legal reason, and ignores the changes in the law. The 9th DESERVES a smackdown for this opinion.

Given that there's a rumor that Ginsberg is not healthy (again), and that the Court is limiting the cases she is involved with, and the near end of the term, and Gorsuch's newness, a quick PC would solve a bunch of immediate problems without any real backlash.

Old 06-17-2017, 7:23 PM

The court decided in favor of the 2nd Amendment with Heller and McDonald, so why wouldn't they take this case and decide in its favor?

The odds look good!
Old 06-17-2017, 7:55 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Just as the nomination and confirmation process for Gorsuch was off topic for this thread, so too is discussion of potential retirements from the Supreme Court and possible replacements.

Fine discussion to have, but if you want to have it, start a thread in OT.

Some posts deleted.

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 06-18-2017, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clunkmess View Post
The court decided in favor of the 2nd Amendment with Heller and McDonald, so why wouldn't they take this case and decide in its favor?

The odds look good!
The court typically only takes cases due to lower courts confusion (split), they do not run in and take cases based on mistakes unless it's an egregious one. IOW they want to make sure lower courts rule in a uniform fashion.
Old 06-18-2017, 9:13 AM
Not a mod or lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
The court typically only takes cases due to lower courts confusion (split), they do not run in and take cases based on mistakes unless it's an egregious one. IOW they want to make sure lower courts rule in a uniform fashion.
While I absolutely agree that's the original intent/purpose/design for the Supreme Court's existence, I really don't think that's how it actually works in practice - not when there's any kind of bias among the justices. And they all have biases. Some are biased in our favor, some aren't, but they are all inherently biased, and always will be for as long as they are politically appointed.

The gay marriage case, for example, was taken on by SCOTUS for strictly political reasons. I'm sure there are many, many other examples but that's the one that sticks out in my mind at the moment.

Thankfully, right to carry is a rather political (and currently hot) issue, and I think that works to our benefit here, and is the reason why I still think SCOTUS hears this case, despite nearly everyone here feeling differently.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 06-18-2017 at 9:16 AM..
Old 06-18-2017, 9:43 AM

I remain hopeful.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Just as the nomination and confirmation process for Gorsuch was off topic for this thread, so too is discussion of potential retirements from the Supreme Court and possible replacements.

Fine discussion to have, but if you want to have it, start a thread in OT.

Some posts deleted.
Librarian, can we please get a judicial sub forum?

I don't do off-topic anymore because I stay on topic here, but people crap-post in off-topic when we have those threads, but apparently I go too far when returning fire, so I'd like to stay out of the goldilocks crap posting completely, and when people attempt to derail threads with typical OT behavior, apparently I'm too unrestrained when I attempt to beat them at their own game.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clunkmess View Post

The odds look good!
Your asking the Court to be consistent and respectful of precedent.

CCW was already covered by Heller v. DC - under YOUR expectation - they would DECLINE cert for Peruta.

I'm going to tell you the same thing I tell so many others - go ACTUALLY READ Heller v. DC YOURSELF - as written by Justice Scalia.

=8-)
Old 06-18-2017, 1:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrabbit View Post

CCW was already covered by Heller v. DC - under YOUR expectation - they would DECLINE cert for Peruta.

I'm going to tell you the same thing I tell so many others - go ACTUALLY READ Heller v. DC YOURSELF - as written by Justice Scalia.

=8-)
Got a question for you on that.

Your interpretation of Heller (which certainly isn't a unique one -- it's shared by a number of others, including the plaintiffs in Norman) seems to hinge upon this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by District of Columbia v. Heller, 128 S. Ct. 2783 at 2809
In Nunn v. State, 1 Ga. 243, 251 (1846), the Georgia Supreme Court construed the Second Amendment as protecting the "natural right of self-defence" and therefore struck down a ban on carrying pistols openly. Its opinion perfectly captured the way in which the operative clause of the Second Amendment furthers the purpose announced in the prefatory clause, in continuity with the English right:
"The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, and not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree; and all this for the important end to be attained: the rearing up and qualifying a well-regulated militia, so vitally necessary to the security of a free State. Our opinion is, that any law, State or Federal, is repugnant to the Constitution, and void, which contravenes this right, originally belonging to our forefathers, trampled under foot by Charles I. and his two wicked sons and successors, re-established by the revolution of 1688, conveyed to this land of liberty by the colonists, and finally incorporated conspicuously in our own Magna Charta!"
My question to you is this: what, exactly, is "the way in which the operative clause of the Second Amendment furthers the purpose announced in the prefatory clause"?

A related question is: why isn't concealed carry or open carry mentioned in the part of the decision the Court quoted, if the nonprotected status of concealed carry is the essential takeaway from the above portion of Heller?
The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. You break your oath to uphold the Constitution if you don't refuse to enforce unadjudicated laws you believe are Unconstitutional.

The real world laughs at optimism. And here's why.
Old 06-18-2017, 2:14 PM

Quote:

=8-)
Yep, to your point it's a little concerning in light of the recent Supreme Court decision to uphold the open carry ban in Florida. Granted that was right before Gorsuch.
SCOTUS should decide based on how the constitution reads.
The statement "the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed" essentially means one can choose to keep arms at all times whether the government likes it or not.
Unlike the Peruta case, DC. v. Heller and McDonald v. City of Chicago was really more specific to bear arms at home not public concealed carry.
Hopefully with the addition of Justice Gorsuch on board the decision will be in our favor.
Old 06-18-2017, 5:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroquois View Post
Yep, to your point it's a little concerning in light of the recent Supreme Court decision to uphold the open carry ban in Florida. Granted that was right before Gorsuch.
That was the Florida supreme court, not the United States Supreme Court.
The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. You break your oath to uphold the Constitution if you don't refuse to enforce unadjudicated laws you believe are Unconstitutional.

The real world laughs at optimism. And here's why.
Old 06-18-2017, 6:08 PM

Well Heller gave us Keep, let's hope Norman or Peruta furthers us along into defining bear, then we move into arms.
Old 06-18-2017, 6:23 PM
Veteran Member

Folks....

I'm not a justice of the Supreme Court who decided Heller v. DC
I'm not a founder of the nation who came from a tradition of English Common Law.
I'm not a 200 year old justice from one of several state courts that have set precedent that SCOTUS affirmed or recognized in Heller v. DC
Nor was I an authority during the Colonial era continuing the English tradition during that era.

If you want to question them - good luck with that.

As I've stated so many time in this thread now, SCOTUS can go so many ways with this:

Consistency / Respect Precedent:

- Decline Cert for Peruta
- Accept Cert for Norman / Nichols - both or one.
- Accept Cert for Peruta as an equal protection case.

Move in a Positive Direction:

- Accept Cert for Peruta and at a minimum kill May Issue CCW and force Shall Issue.

Move in a Negative Direction:

- Decline Cert for Norman / Nichols and tossing Heller v. DC. Thereby sending a messages to all states the OC can be banned.

- Accept Cert for Peruta and move forward with the argument that OC can be banned in favor of CCW tossing Heller v. DC.

- While continuing to recognize the tradition of states to regulate CCW thereby putting our 2nd Amendment behind a permit. Respect tradition and precedent in that particular instance.

^^^ Understand that if those three directly above happen YOUR 2nd Amendment right no longer gets treated as a right - it become hostage to an exercise of privilege.

^^^ That is the wet dream of the Uniparty, various organizations and the elites that like to think they run the country - whether they be Feinstein, Hollywood liberals, Bloomberg or some of your phony Republicans..

=8-|
Old 06-18-2017, 6:24 PM
Not a mod or lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchy_boy View Post
Well Heller gave us Keep, let's hope Norman or Peruta furthers us along into defining bear, then we move into arms.
It's amazing to me, that over 2 centuries after it was written, there is still a huge number of people who completely don't understand what the simple, plain-English phrase "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed" means. That we have to have MULTIPLE supreme court cases to define what that means, with each case covering a different word from it, is absolute insanity.

But yet, here we are.

Leave it to the liberals to be completely baffled by the simplest of English sentences.

Quote:
It depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is. If the – if he – if "is" means is and never has been that is not – that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement.
Old 06-18-2017, 6:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchy_boy View Post
Heller defined keep and bear....and traditon, precedent, common arms, etc. Read the actual decision please.

=8-)
Old 06-18-2017, 6:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
It's amazing to me, that over 2 centuries after it was written, there is still a huge number of people who completely don't understand what the simple, plain-English phrase "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed" means. That we have to have MULTIPLE supreme court cases to define what that means, with each case covering a different word from it, is absolute insanity.

But yet, here we are.

Leave it to the liberals to be completely baffled by the simplest of English sentences.
You gotta wonder how it is that only ONE state in our modern age has the attitude:

"We don't care if you OC or CCW. Have a nice day..."

Vermont

You'd think we'd all be "grown up" by now...

=8-(
Old 06-18-2017, 6:28 PM
Not a mod or lawyer

Quote:
Heller defined keep and bear....and traditon, precedent, common arms, etc. Read the actual decision please.

=8-)
Heller talked about those items a little, but it's a stretch to say that Heller completely defined them. If that were true, things would be a lot different right now.
Old 06-19-2017, 4:54 AM

We wouldn't be fighting a decade later if Heller defined them. Best result if Peruta is we move forward in defining bear.
Old 06-19-2017, 5:36 AM
Super Moderator

Monday orders are out: no action on Peruta.

The information posted here is not legal advice. If you seek legal advice hire an attorney who is familiar with all the facts of your case.
Old 06-19-2017, 5:48 AM

That must be some dissent Thomas is writing.
Wonder if he'll finish it before the session ends