Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 06-03-2017, 1:01 PM
Head Janitor

Default HELP US KEEP THE CORDOVA SHOOTING CENTER OPEN!

HELP US KEEP THE CORDOVA SHOOTING CENTER OPEN!

Cordova Shooting Center (CSC) is a 73 acre public shooting range, gun store, and training facility in Rancho Cordova California. CSC has been operated by the same family since 1979. The range is conveniently located in the Sacramento area and serves over 30,000 customers every year from Sacramento, Placer and El Dorado Counties.

CSC operates on property owned by the Cordova Recreation and Park District (CRPD). Recently, the CRPD Administrator recommended to the CRPD Board of Directors that they vote to not renew the range’s lease, and to CLOSE THE RANGE DOWN.

Closing the Cordova Shooting Center would be a huge loss to the surrounding community!

Some local residents voiced their support for keeping the range open at the last CRPD public board meeting. As a result, the CRPD Board of Directors decided to postpone their vote. The CRPD Board of Directors will revisit the issue at a special public meeting that will be held on:

June 12th and 6:30PM at the American Room of the Rancho Cordova City Hall, located at 2729 Prospect Park Drive, Rancho Cordova, CA 95670.

NRA / CRPA lawyers and activists have been helping the range, but now CSC needs YOUR help to convince the CRPD Directors to keep the CSC range open! Please contact the Directors below, and attend the meeting to voice support for the range!

The CRPD Administrator claims that renovating the CSC facility would cost $2 million dollars, and that it would take over ten years of operations for the CRPD to get a return on that investment. They also claim to not have a funding source for the repairs. But CSC pays $183,000 per year to the CRPD to operate the facility! More than 30,000 shooters use the range every year. What’s really going on?
Here is a recent news story on the range: http://www.kcra.com/article/gun-rang...-lease/9870794.

Please help keep the Cordova Shooting Center open by contacting the CRPD Directors and asking them to keep the range open, and by attending the meeting in June if you can. Your opinion matters!

Cordova Recreation and Park District

916-842-3300

customerservice@crpd.com

Rancho Cordova City Hall
2729 Prospect Park Drive, Suite 230
Rancho Cordova, CA 95670

Patrick Larkin, CRPD District Administrator
plarkin@crpd.com
916-842-3300

Contact the CRPD Board of Directors:

Terri Leimbach, Chairperson
tleimbach@crpd.com

Inez Reyes, Vice-Chairperson
ireyes@crpd.com

Michael Yearwood, Secretary
myearwood@crpd.com

Rick Sloan
rsloan@crpd.com

Brian Danzl
bdanzl@crpd.com

The NRA / CRPA Range Protection and Development Program assists ranges facing environmental, noise, safety, and other issues and advises ranges on best management practices.

If your range needs assistance, for proactive information that could help your range avoid problems in the future, and to help us by turning your range into a gun rights activist center, contact CRPA at contact@CRPA.org.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CGF.

Last edited by Kestryll; 06-05-2017 at 7:29 PM..
Old 06-03-2017, 1:02 PM
אלוהים שלי, הנשק שלי, המד
CGN Contributor

👍

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Mark 16:16
Old 06-03-2017, 1:13 PM

As much as I love the gun community and supporting gun ranges this particular place seems like a lost cause it's utterly ran down and from what I have heard it's a lost cause in fighting for it maybe I'm wrong and I hope I am

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2017, 3:32 PM
C3 Coordinator
CGN Contributor

I agree with rawkstarr71. CSC is in terrible condition and it has the misfortune of being located in an area that Sacramento County and the city of Rancho Cordova want to develop into housing subdivisions and/or commercial - industrial use.

Sacramento Raceway, which is just about a mile from CSC has already announced that in 2020 they will cease operations because of heavy regulation by the county, so they are working at selling off their several hundred acres.

Two subdivisions have been built right between the two facilities, which I'm sure have brought noise complaints which is hastening the push to close them both. This land should of never been developed, since so much of it is polluted from prior use (CSC, Sac Raceway, Aerojet's rocket test facilities and Mather Fields aircraft operations while it was a SAC base).

It amazes me that people buy cheap houses in the middle of nowhere then have the gall to complain about the noise from entities that have been there for 40 or more years before their house was built. I don't understand why the developers in such area aren't required to put CCRs in the deeds for those homes before their built to prevent such actions.

NRA Life Member (Benefactor level)

"Those who give up some of their liberty in order to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty, nor safety." B. Franklin
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting or competition shooting. It's all about your inalienable rights to life and liberty.
Old 06-03-2017, 3:47 PM
Shiny
CGN Contributor

Rather like Chabot here in the Bay Area; range on leased land and admins with ulterior motives. Not a good combination imo.
Old 06-04-2017, 4:27 AM

CSC was my first range but now I don't go there any more.
I also bought several firearms from them.

The facility is in very bad shape. It doesn't seem they care.
That older range officer is really rude, lacking basic business manner
Old 06-04-2017, 9:44 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawkstarr71 View Post
As much as I love the gun community and supporting gun ranges this particular place seems like a lost cause it's utterly ran down and from what I have heard it's a lost cause in fighting for it maybe I'm wrong and I hope I am
All gun causes are lost causes. But sometimes lost causes have surprising wins. Look at Brexit; neither side expected it to come close to passing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
Rather like Chabot here in the Bay Area; range on leased land and admins with ulterior motives. Not a good combination imo.
Are these specific people known to have ulterior motives? They might, or they might not get that the place is important to some people. With the fancy new Sacramento Gun Club, they might think that the Cordova Shooting Center isn't needed anymore. For example, people who don't shoot don't know how much louder it is at indoor ranges than outdoor. They might not understand that trap shooting is different than fixed target shooting.

Most CA politicians are anti-gun, but I haven't heard anything specific about these ones. (Probably because I haven't looked into them.) Maybe they're making excuses to get rid of the range, but I'll assume good faith until they prove otherwise. That's the only way the good ones have any chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallShark View Post

I remember that the first time I went there, there was an older range officer that I didn't like, but I don't think he's there anymore. Most of the staff I've interacted with since then have been great, especially Bob. I practically got a free class out of him.
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 06-04-2017, 9:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallShark View Post

I don't believe that fighting for gun rights is a lost cause. I was trying to handle my response with kid gloves because in all honesty that range I feel is a lost cause it's utterly trashed every single time that I've gone there it's no different than going to Camp Far West where people bring garbage and trash and just leave it. Clearly the owners don't care and it shows. It doesn't matter how long somebody has owned it, clearly the place generates money and the least that they could do is maintenance the place and keep it running like a tight ship. Out of most of the ranges that are in the area I would drive you in farther just to go to Sac Valley or if I was heading north I would go to Lincoln. Sacramento Valley is by far my all-time favorite

Old 06-04-2017, 9:55 AM

Sac valley 1000 yard range
Old 06-04-2017, 10:01 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I stopped going to Cordova a long time ago. Like others have said, they dont put money back into the range. Sac Valley is an amazing place to shoot and not much further of a drive.

It is a shame to loose a range but sometimes a business just doesnt get it right.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:40 AM

let me put flame suit on

again, it is sad to see another range closing down, but CSC doesnt deserve my support.

30K range visits a year at 17 dollars each, that makes 510 thousand dollars, beside the sales of firearms, ammo, and targets, also the rental. Their prices are on the higher side comparing to the other gun stores i often visit.

they also host classes.

for the past 5 years, i didnt see any improvement at the range, in fact, it was much worse than the time i started going there.

the target stands always have stacked up used target on them. it was nearly impossible to staple new target securely. the parking lot is very marshy after rain too.

again, it is sad to see another range closing down
Old 06-04-2017, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

Unfortunately, Cordova doesn't appear to be managed well or properly funded. Sac Valley continues to make improvements and new ranges are being built. I've purchased a few guns from them and have done some transfers there. I've also shot at their range a few times.

Cities are putting pressure on businesses if it interferes with residents "quality of life." It happened with the lumber yard in Lincoln when I lived up there, the small airport on Grantline road in Elk Grove and now the gun range in Rancho Cordova. As others have said, folks move into areas where businesses have been for years, complain, and then put pressure on them to move.

Seems like there should be a state law to prevent this from happening - not just for gun ranges but for other businesses as well. It won't happen though - not in this state.
Old 06-04-2017, 2:01 PM
Veteran Member

Cordova has a a good trap/skeet shooting/ 5 stand there.

i will support them even if I don't go there often. losing more gun ranges is crap.

Its not in good condition? What a bunch of Gucci Gun owners here..ever drop your gun on carpet? They had to spend a pretty penny on doing the "no blue sky" rafters.

if you want to bang out some pistol or rifle rounds for an hour..its there, its easy and close to people.

Sac Valley is a 2 hour trip from Sacramento. Cordova is 40 minutes round trip.

Dont go to Lincoln..its not crowded and I can shoot steel at 225 and 290 yards: )

I will voice my displeasure with the Rancho Cambodia "leaders".
Old 06-04-2017, 2:04 PM
Veteran Member

rawkstar that is full on retarded to say its like a free public range where people leave garbage and ZERo Range safety officers.

Not even close.
Old 06-04-2017, 2:28 PM

Take a trip to Sac Valley, you will not be dissapointed. Only 25 min further.
Old 06-04-2017, 3:57 PM

It's unfortunate that shooters and gun owners are so short sighted. We are our own worst enemy. Which is what makes us so easily defeated.

Before you say F Them consider that the other ranges in the area are not any better situated in long term existence. The SaC City Mangan range is gone. The Yolo range is on Airport property and is having difficulty renewing its leases. I believe SaC Valley has a 50 year lease that's half way through. El Dorado is tucked in to a spot that is being encroached upon.

I won't shoot at Cordova, but we might want to stick together and support each no matter what each and every time we have the opportunity.
Old 06-04-2017, 7:54 PM

Lets say everyone rallies together Cordova stays open. With a range that does the bare minimum for updates and maintenance how long until someone gets hurt? I saw the "no blue sky" rafters after they were put in years ago, it looked like salvaged wood. One of the last times I was there we got to see a hole that went through a handful of the lane dividers...wonder where it came from?

Maybe someone can talk to the owners and see what the vision of the future is for the range. Maybe they can chime in here...are they even part of this site that CA gun owners turn to for advice and guidance? Are they not putting funds into the range because they see the writing on the wall? If they renew the lease for a certain amount of years will they make improvements?

Keeping a business open that happens to be a shooting range strictly for political reasons might not end up well for the shooting community in the long run.
Old 06-05-2017, 3:25 AM

Gee didn't see this coming when they built all those houses out there.
Old 06-05-2017, 8:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerB View Post
rawkstar that is full on retarded to say its like a free public range where people leave garbage and ZERo Range safety officers.

Not even close.
Apparently you don't go to gun ranges very much, maybe instead of running your mouth you should run your gun. I get out quite a bit and I go shooting every single Sunday religiously. I and very familiar with the ranges that care about their ranges and are well kept and ran safe . And I don't frequent the ones that don't.
I'm not for the closing of Cordova Shooting Range but when they don't care and it shows ,why should I?
I have watched brand new start up shooting ranges rake in money like it's growing on trees. So I don't believe it's a monetary thing.

Last edited by rawkstarr71; 06-05-2017 at 9:55 AM..
Old 06-05-2017, 9:27 AM

Worth defending as a shutdown would divert traffic to other ranges in the area. This happened in the Bay Area with the shutdown of Chabot and Coyote Point and US Sportsman undergoing renovations. Most ranges in the area are overflowed with a 30-120 min wait time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2017, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

ohhhhhh big time shooter! You want me to bow to your 1,000 yd shooting woop dee doo da. Cute pictures you posted so we can all see how snioper you are. Every Sunday at that! You want to compare empty brass? Give it a rest. I admit in shame I have only shot at Sac Valley 7 or 8 times. The longest I did was rams on the 550 yd with my Ishapore 2a during Vintage Military Silhouette shot. I did hit 3 out of 5 with the stock irons on it. Its not my first time. My family has 120 acres I shoot on but is 2 hours drive. Having Cordova there to shoot trap and maybe just do my 2 month refresh with my carry guns is great to have.

Ya.. Cordova has gimp range..maybe 100yds? It has dry splintered wood and peeling paint. Im not a materiel person so as long as it safe and functioning, im ok. Personally I don't like shooting at any public ranges. Trap and skeet ranges in public areas are an exception as most there have a better handle on gun safety.

To compare Cordova to a free for all public range is asinine. There is range safety officers and not piles of garbage and random rocks /garbage and steel being shot at unsafe distances. You make yourself sound high and mighty with your "1,000 yard stare sniper and fresh and clean shooting mats". Do you also look down on "non voting members " at Sac Valley?

We don't need to carry this on in here. Its about supporting the last outdoor range in a large metro county in the PRK.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:42 AM

Good Lord... jackass much? Good thing we have people like you to mystically read into the depth of every conversation. Posting pictures of a beautiful range begets all of this horse****? Please, have some self respect, you're coming off as a fool . This isn't a pissing contest.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardini View Post
It's unfortunate that shooters and gun owners are so short sighted. We are our own worst enemy. Which is what makes us so easily defeated.

Before you say F Them consider that the other ranges in the area are not any better situated in long term existence. The SaC City Mangan range is gone. The Yolo range is on Airport property and is having difficulty renewing its leases. I believe SaC Valley has a 50 year lease that's half way through. El Dorado is tucked in to a spot that is being encroached upon.

I won't shoot at Cordova, but we might want to stick together and support each no matter what each and every time we have the opportunity.
THIS! Sac valley now is like cordova shooting center 20 years ago. Anyone paying attention can clearly observe that rancho murieta is essentially devoid of major development. Like csc years ago, rancho murieta is sparse industrial, with intermittent homes, and lots of AG land. We'd be fools to think that will last.

Rancho murieta will be the next el dorado hills. When that happens, sac valley's days are numbered if it still leases land. Keeping places like csc alive amidst this kind of turmoil ensure that we can continue to enjoy our hobby.
Old 06-05-2017, 5:03 PM

If you don't want to support it,don't. Real simple.

This is why we lose our rights right here, we squabble amongst ourselves instead of binding together for a solution. So sad.
Old 06-05-2017, 5:53 PM

The "F" it...its lost anyway attitude just allows developers and liberals to topple one at a time the bowling pins that represent our Kali 2nd Amendment Rights

I don't care if it's a piece of crap
It's a 2nd Amendment piece of crap...and that...must be fought for to preserve
Or you'll be left talking about guns rather than shooting them
Old 06-05-2017, 6:32 PM

Some of us bicker and squabble, some of us are trying to have a conversation. A few turds floating in the punch bowl really derail everything.

I would like suggestions and solutions about Cordova but simply saying the most run down range in this area should stay open simply for political foothold doesnt seem right either.

This thread is a great example of why most people new to Calguns turn right around and never come back. The one place where we should be coming together is full of chaos and anger.

I have close to 15 pro gun people in my office and most of them have any interest of even taking a look at Calguns. "Just another dumb blog site", they say. It seems like very few gun enthusiasts have an actual place outside the ranges and gun stores where we come together and, yes, its sad.

We lose our rights here for many reasons, and everyone arguing on a forum is just a drop in the bucket. We lost control of this state a long time ago.
Old 06-05-2017, 6:36 PM

The old Folsom Gun Club range was in the middle of modern day Folsom. It was off the east side of Sibley Road, the driveway into the range was a little south of where Glenn is now. Sibley turned to a gravel road past the driveway. It was pretty much out in the country when first built, the ranges ran to the south and there was no development south of the property. Over the years development crept in and began to surround the range. The Club saw the handwriting on the wall and decided to move. The range property, by then a development dream, was sold to a developer. With the money the Club bought and developed the property Sac Valley sits on today. There is no lease, it is owned by the Club. The property abuts the Van Vleck Ranch that has been, generally, under the same ownership since 1856. The range had the blessing of then ranch patriarch Stan Van Vleck. After the Club had been "developed out" of its prior home this all was a big part of the reason the property was chosen.

Now if you are old enough you will remember the Cordova Shooting Center was several miles south of Rancho Cordova on then two lane Sunrise Blvd. The Auto Wreckers moved in next door. Further development, of course, has followed. You begin to see the picture. Just my uninformed opinion, but I had felt the Cordova range was falling into disrepair because the owners also were seeing the handwriting on the wall. I would like to see Cordova Shooting Center stay open so good luck.

As Will Rogers once said:
"Everyone is ignorant, only in different subjects."
Old 06-05-2017, 7:48 PM

Default I'll be there 6/12/17; working on correspondence now

Over the years Cordova's been good to me; no complaints since I first went there in the late 80's. That's where I taught my Daughters how to shoot and handle firearms safely.

Accordingly, I'll return the favor as best I can.
Old 06-05-2017, 9:09 PM
Veteran Member

I'm going to stipby this week and shoot 75 rounds of trap.
Old 06-06-2017, 2:03 PM

I want them to stay open - just to keep "those" folks from coming to Sac Valley

I don't like to shoot next to gangbanger wanna be guys. Last time I was there another shooter yelled at a guy because he went to the bench 4 times during a cease fire - so what does he do - threaten the guy that yelled.

Bad ju ju

Steve
Old 06-06-2017, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobek View Post
I want them to stay open - just to keep "those" folks from coming to Sac Valley

I don't like to shoot next to gangbanger wanna be guys. Last time I was there another shooter yelled at a guy because he went to the bench 4 times during a cease fire - so what does he do - threaten the guy that yelled.

Bad ju ju

Steve
Sounds like they were "over-tolerant" that day...

Second warning should be the sternest of all including the warning that on third offense, you're outta here...
Old 06-06-2017, 4:12 PM

I was just there last week and yeah it's pretty tired and in need of upgrades but still a good place. I was surprised at how many houses are down there now past all the auto wreckers, etc. and it's very obvious RE developers are drooling to stuff more houses there under any guise.

When I first went there in 1993 the range was in the "boonies" lol.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:16 PM

The estimate for cleanup is $800K, and $2M total for cleanup and upgrades. Seems to me that with 10 years of the approximately $175K they get each year with the $800K they have to spend either way that the cost would be even.
Old 06-07-2017, 6:13 PM
CGSSA Associate
CGN Contributor

So many local CGNers I haven't seen in a long time! Anyways, I do use this range for convenience, it would be sad to see it go. In fact, I've taken a CCW qualification class here. I've shot in shooting ranges in the Philippines, Cordova would be a GEM over there.

Does anyone actually know the financials of the range operations? We have not considered any of that, they may simply not have the money to do upgrades, with what little they probably take in and the amount of regulations they probably have to deal with. I don't believe anyone gets rich with profits from shooting ranges.

I'm not saying the range is the best around, in fact, they do not even allow CCW at the range, which is absurd. But a range is a range, and many people may not have the time to trek out to Sac Valley or others. But if it closes, our area's daily range capacity is decreased, making others more congested, if that's what some of you want.
Old 06-07-2017, 7:40 PM
Veteran Member

Reminds of me of a grocery store with a no handguns sign....hahahah Sure, I leave this pistol in the lock-box in my car.

I will post some pictures and or video of my trap shoot this week. Anyone want to meet up morning 9-10am weekday?
Old 06-09-2017, 4:35 PM

I'm unable to attend the meeting but sent an email to the names listed. Thank you Kestryll for posting them. The facility is in need of repair. Responsible gun owners are in need of a place to shoot. Perhaps there is an opportunity here for a wake-up call all around. They limit our arms, limit our access to ammo and close our shooting centers. Sounds like the plot for a pre-WWII movie.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:09 PM

I will be sending e-mails to the directors. I'm all the way down in Long Beach. Never even been to the place. Just wish we had more open space like you guys have up there, even if it was a shack. Just trying to support a cause and our 2nd amendments rights. Well, whatever is left of it in this state anyhow. I click into this forum and see a lot of lolligaggin, and back and fourth from fellow shooters. That is why as state we are so easily conquered/manipulated. We can't even unite for a single cause/rights. No vision.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markinsac View Post
The estimate for cleanup is $800K, and $2M total for cleanup and upgrades. Seems to me that with 10 years of the approximately $175K they get each year with the $800K they have to spend either way that the cost would be even.
Isn't ten years a fairly normal horizon for any landlord when doing a complete renovation? Presumably they've also put aside a portion of the rent collected the last 25 years for maintenance, so they should already have the funds on hand.
Old 06-10-2017, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyme View Post
Some of us bicker and squabble, some of us are trying to have a conversation. A few turds floating in the punch bowl really derail everything.

I would like suggestions and solutions about Cordova but simply saying the most run down range in this area should stay open simply for political foothold doesnt seem right either.

This thread is a great example of why most people new to Calguns turn right around and never come back. The one place where we should be coming together is full of chaos and anger.

I have close to 15 pro gun people in my office and most of them have any interest of even taking a look at Calguns. "Just another dumb blog site", they say. It seems like very few gun enthusiasts have an actual place outside the ranges and gun stores where we come together and, yes, its sad.

We lose our rights here for many reasons, and everyone arguing on a forum is just a drop in the bucket. We lost control of this state a long time ago.
Great posting. Thanks...
Old 06-10-2017, 9:30 PM

It appears as if the CRPD needs to redefine the operational contract for the CSC if a contractor was allowed to let the range go to heck.

If the range was well-maintained, it seems as though this would be a much different situation...