Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 05-31-2017, 9:21 PM

Default LEO questions, glendale, ca

So I live with my mother me her and her step mom. We are estranged from my father because he's pretty much living piece of crap. So anyways my mother confronted him because he stopped by to talk to my sister that is home from college on sunday, which he never does. He got mad and came by earlier today while we were all at work and told my step-granny that he's going to tell the police that my guns are illegal, they are not, i literally have all the DROS paperwork in a folder. TBH it kinda pissed me off and shook me because all he would have to do is call the police and say I was threatening him, which i haven't even looked at the guy, and the police will come running in a confiscate them all. Should I be the one to call the cops first and tell him he's not supposed to be here, my mother does not have a restraining order on him and they have not been formerly divorced, but have been separated for over 10 years now?
Any advice, honestly i know he doesn't have any leverage, but cali/cops in general here are too gun grabby. Should i store them in my girlfriends house?
Old 05-31-2017, 9:30 PM

Without any evidence of you actually threatened him, you're fine. It will be his word against yours and your mothers, and your granny. His complaint would be taken with a grain of salt, assuming everything you've said is true. You're fine.
Old 05-31-2017, 9:36 PM

ok thanks, yeah, i didn't even know he knew i owned a few firearms, i guess he found out somehow. thanks for giving me some fresh air aces
Old 05-31-2017, 9:40 PM

You can get your own restraining order.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdimeo View Post
You can get your own restraining order.
^THIS!!

Get a restraining order against him and tell him to hit the bricks. If he comes around again call GPD and they'll have a talk with him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLICESTATE View Post
It is not wise to create criminals where none exist. Especially when those newly-minted criminals may or may not be heavily armed with guns you know nothing about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S. General Tony McAuliff
"Men, we are surrounded by the enemy. That means we have the greatest opportunity ever presented to an army. We can attack in any direction we choose."
Old 05-31-2017, 11:50 PM

i'll look into a restraining order, don't even know where to start, how much does one run you?
Old 06-01-2017, 6:17 AM

I'd file a report....just so you have some paperwork showing the nature of the relationship. It would help in a he says...she says type of situation..
Old 06-01-2017, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisjohnson View Post
I'd file a report....just so you have some paperwork showing the nature of the relationship. It would help in a he says...she says type of situation..
I told my mother that we should call the police first and tell them about this. I think I will later today
Old 06-01-2017, 8:15 AM

Your Mom needs to get a divorce. Even will separated she can be liable for things he does.
Old 06-01-2017, 8:30 AM

^ Huh? Care to elaborate?
Old 06-01-2017, 8:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta34 View Post
^ Huh? Care to elaborate?
If he were to be sued, in a accident, etc she could still be held liable since they are still legally married. Any assets she has could be legally his because CA is a community property State.
Old 06-01-2017, 8:56 AM

without a legal separation/divorce he COULD come to the house and gain entry.

If he is a threat to you or your family and you reside at the home you can get a restraining order against him. will it add fuel to the fire ? maybe, but it could protect you if he decides to be stupid.

I wouldn't risk a he said / she said - what if - with my 2A rights in Kalifornia.

I don't see what report you could make with GPD unless he was trespassing and there are certain criteria that must be met in order to establish trespassing violations.

if he has made threats against the family you should report it and make sure you get a report number or a copy of the report. it will help with the restraining order.

it is his right to be a douchebag.

You need to protect yourself ( and your guns) as well as your family.

John 15:13

donate to support the cause
http://shop42a.com/

"Let us form one body, one heart, and defend to the last warrior our country, our homes, our liberty, and the graves of our fathers." Tecumseh
Old 06-01-2017, 9:02 AM

Make sure your guns are locked up and secure.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:48 AM

Maybe move out and get your own place so you can be the adult who decides who comes onto your property or not.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:41 PM

Thanks guys, yes I am planning to move out, by the end of the year, still helping my mother with bills and such. My guns are locked up, I just don't know how to go about getting a restraining order
Old 06-01-2017, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villabroza View Post
cali/cops in general here are too gun grabby. Should i store them in my girlfriends house?

You insult us and then ask for our advice.
Old 06-01-2017, 4:46 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_Jim View Post
^^^^ This.
Old 06-01-2017, 5:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

restraining order time.
Old 06-01-2017, 7:33 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I've had two friends in different cities have their firearms confiscated because the first one was cleaning his in his back porch and neighborhood kids saying he was brandishing them, the second one got his confiscated because his parents were having a loud argument. Lapd and diamond bar respectively. This thread was not in the LEO section at first it was in the 2a litigation and I guess was moved by a mod. I'm sorry if you took offense to it
Old 06-01-2017, 7:51 PM

Quote:
^^^ "File a report" for what? Cops don't just write reports for incidents that don't involve criminal activity. Right now, the OP has a "he-said/he-said" story at best and that's hearsay. He's got nothing. Why do so many people think that cops will "take a report" for issues that don't yet concern the police? I always laugh at those "demands."

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I've had two friends in different cities have their firearms confiscated because the first one was cleaning his in his back porch and neighborhood kids saying he was brandishing them, the second one got his confiscated because his parents were having a loud argument. Lapd and diamond bar respectively. This thread was not in the LEO section at first it was in the 2a litigation and I guess was moved by a mod. I'm sorry if you took offense to it
^^^ Sounds like you need to hang out with a better crowd of friends. Us cops just don't "confiscate" guns just for a "verbal argument." Nor do we confiscate guns for someone just "cleaning them on the back porch." There's more to those two stories than what you presented.

My views:

-I hate being bipolar its awesome.

-Life member, NRA
-Hold my beer. Watch this.
-Trump.
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

-🏌️🏌️🏌️

Last edited by TrailerparkTrash; 06-01-2017 at 8:01 PM..
Old 06-01-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
^^^ Sounds like you need to hang out with a better crowd of friends. Us cops just don't "confiscate" guns just for a "verbal argument." Nor do we confiscate guns for someone just "cleaning them on the back porch." There's more to those two stories than what you presented.
Yeah because all cops know every detail about firearms rights. My story is as it stands believe it or not it happened the domestic call the guy got his guns back, the "brandishing" he moved out of the state
Old 06-02-2017, 1:13 AM

Quote:
No crime, no report. Personally document it and keep it in your records. If you feel you absolutley need to, you can contact non-emergency dispatch to tell them what happened and request an event number. No report will be made and you may not even speak with an actual officer, however the call will be documented and notes may be added to the event through dispatch.

Quote:
Yeah because all cops know every detail about firearms rights. My story is as it stands believe it or not it happened the domestic call the guy got his guns back, the "brandishing" he moved out of the state
Unless you were there for both incidents, you only have your friend's point of view. I'm not saying your friend is completley lying but im pretty sure he's either choosing not telling you the whole story, or seriously just saw and interpreted the situation through his own lens which may or may not have happened the way he saw it, both understandable. Despite what some of the paranoid guys on this forum say (many of which speak only on emotion and "what if" scenarios with no actual experience, or knowledge of the law) most cops I work with (including me) are actually very pro 2A, support legal CCW, and do not confiscate firearms unless absolutley neccessary and legal to do so. While the media, social media, and general public often spread negative opinions about cops, i truly hope you give your local law enforcement a chance to earn your trust and take any situations you may encounter with them with an open mind. There is no doubt that there are bad cops out there, however just like there are bad people in the world, there are many more good ones than the bad ones. Good luck to you pal.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls2monaro View Post
Maybe move out and get your own place so you can be the adult who decides who comes onto your property or not.

Sounds like a good deal right here.

If you feel you need a protective order, contact the court and state your case. An emergency protective order applied for on your behalf by an officer would not fit the bill here IMO.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:35 AM
Banned

In the meantime, put up a security cam to record his actions when he shows up again.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
So based on 2 second hand incidents you can conclusively state that "cops especially in Calif are too gun grabby"

Yeah, you're probably right, there's about 80,000 cops in California and those two incidents are the norm.
You know nothing Villabroza. Maybe you should take your question to the ultimate authorities in OT.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazafuzz View Post
So based on 2 second hand incidents you can conclusively state that "cops especially in Calif are too gun grabby"

Yeah, you're probably right, there's about 80,000 cops in California and those two incidents are the norm.
You know nothing Villabroza. Maybe you should take your question to the ultimate authorities in OT.
This.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Oh ok. Sounds like you already have all the answers then.

My views:

-Life member, NRA
-Trump.
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

-🏌️🏌️🏌️
Old 06-10-2017, 1:23 AM

Why are the cops so touchy on this thread? I've come across great cops in my day and i've come across absolute pieces of roid rage trash.

In the end, cops are people and it makes sense that some are going to not know the laws and just decide to arrest and let the DA sort it out later. 'If he's innocent, then he'll be released' right?
Old 06-10-2017, 10:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Why are the cops so touchy on this thread? I've come across great cops in my day and i've come across absolute pieces of roid rage trash.

In the end, cops are people and it makes sense that some are going to not know the laws and just decide to arrest and let the DA sort it out later. 'If he's innocent, then he'll be released' right?
One reason that we may be perceived as "So Touchy" is that most of us have learned the hard way that when some event begins to take a wrong turn, and go down the wrong path, that nothing good ever seems to come out of it. Bad news does not improve with time. So we very deliberately try to address such issues right at the beginning, so as to avoid that whole problem.

You're right, were human and suspect to all of the frailties of being human. But that does not lead to the kind of "Punt" that you describe of making an arrest and letting the DA sort it out. What would usually happen is that the offending officer would then learn of his mistake, often in written form, and then have to deal with it, expending several times the effort as would have been required to do it right in the first place.
Old 06-10-2017, 3:04 PM

Quote:

No one is touchy in this thread from what I gather.

The peace officers' responses in this thread were warranted. The OP made a broad and assumptive statement about peace officers that was unfounded and fictional, at best.

You're correct. Peace officers are humans and do not know all the laws nor do they pretend that they do. Whether you intended to or not, your backhanded statement that peace officers can arrest just because they want to and let someone else sort it out is unbelievably false. That's not how the law works, believe it or not.
Old 06-11-2017, 2:16 AM

^Yet it happens all the time.... I have too many stories of people who have had their lives ruined over little things.

Sometimes, it not about just an issue of discretion but its an issue of the law itself that police enforce irregardless of how stupid or destructive it may be.

Take marijuana for example....how many people spent time in jail because someone higher up decided it was an evil to society. Now i personally dont' use drugs at all but i can recognize that this is a b.s. law.

How many cops looked at these issues back in the day and decided...this is b.s...i'm not going to arrest or cite this person for possession? The vast majority did what they were told and were part of something that ruined countless lives.

You can't expect people to have lived through decades of this and then have a positive view of police.

With that said....i do believe there are good police and bad police but don't expect me to sit around trying to figure out which one is which
Old 06-11-2017, 6:55 AM

So marijuana laws are to blame for societies problems and view of cops...........?

My how this thread has quickly deteriorated.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
^Yet it happens all the time.... I have too many stories of people who have had their lives ruined over little things.

Sometimes, it not about just an issue of discretion but its an issue of the law itself that police enforce irregardless of how stupid or destructive it may be.

Take marijuana for example....how many people spent time in jail because someone higher up decided it was an evil to society. Now i personally dont' use drugs at all but i can recognize that this is a b.s. law.

How many cops looked at these issues back in the day and decided...this is b.s...i'm not going to arrest or cite this person for possession? The vast majority did what they were told and were part of something that ruined countless lives.

You can't expect people to have lived through decades of this and then have a positive view of police.

With that said....i do believe there are good police and bad police but don't expect me to sit around trying to figure out which one is which
Yep, I will bet you have heard stories. Try looking up the definition of a story. I wonder how many started with Once upon a time. As far as marijuana goes the current story it is harmless. You have no ideal how many times MJ was wind tested.

Please go back to your professor and ask how you should respond now.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:42 AM

Ah. Another cop hater raises his head.
Tell me Mr. Johnson, should we call you first before we enforce the laws that YOUR elected officials enact?
We have discretion and most of us use it, but the "everyone else does it" excuse didn't work for you in grade school either. If you don't like the laws, do something to change them. Or, you could just ***** about cops behind their back and on the internet.
As was said in a different thread, we're always hiring, come show us how it should be done!
Old 06-11-2017, 6:59 PM

I have a bunch of stories too!

Old 06-11-2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:

28 years in active law enforcement and still going. I've yet to EVER see ANYONE taken to the "house" (jail) for a Blunt or two! Know what the F*** you're talking about before posting FUD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisjohnson
Again, two and a half decades in active law enforcement and nobody goes to jail for having some bud for personal use in their pockets. Never in California! Again, don't post "fake news" in a cop forum. It's insulting to us cops. Know what you're talking about first and foremost.

My views:

-Life member, NRA
-Trump.
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

-🏌️🏌️🏌️
Old 06-12-2017, 12:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
28 years in active law enforcement and still going. I've yet to EVER see ANYONE taken to the "house" (jail) for a Blunt or two! Know what the F*** you're talking about before posting FUD.

Again, two and a half decades in active law enforcement and nobody goes to jail for having some bud for personal use in their pockets. Never in California! Again, don't post "fake news" in a cop forum. It's insulting to us cops. Know what you're talking about first and foremost.
I know of plenty of times a person went to jail when found with a small amount of marijuana. Of course when the story is told they always seem to forget to mention the outstanding arrest warrant or other charges that that they were arrested for at the time.

Sent from my Ivory Tower using Moral High Ground 2.0

No messages are hidden because I am not an emotional snowflake.

DACA; Registration leads to deportation.

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 06-12-2017, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICKSTER View Post
I know of plenty of times a person went to jail when found with a small amount of marijuana. Of course when the story is told they always seem to forget to mention the outstanding arrest warrant or other charges that that they were arrested for at the time.
Yes, but even in that circumstance, the person would or should've been cited for the mj if he had id. The warrant would id him even if he had no id.
Old 06-12-2017, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARDude View Post
Yes, but even in that circumstance, the person would or should've been cited for the mj if he had id. The warrant would id him even if he had no id.
WTF ?
Old 06-12-2017, 3:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
WTF ?
Exactly?

Sent from my Ivory Tower using Moral High Ground 2.0

No messages are hidden because I am not an emotional snowflake.

DACA; Registration leads to deportation.

NRA Benefactor Member