Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Question Anyone have the IOR SH FFP on an AICS?

Curious to see if I need to purchase the EGW extended base for proper eye relief.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...&Number=511943

http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?...roducts_id=247

Thanks.
Old 11-25-2008, 3:28 PM
Calguns Addict

I had mine on a B&C with the same LOP as my AICS. Didn't need an extended rail for my LOP or head position. Only had it on for 150 rounds or so before it died.
Old 11-25-2008, 4:00 PM
Calguns Addict

I have spare NF 20MOA base... lmk if you want something like that...

New to Calguns, check here first:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=56818
Old 11-25-2008, 6:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksimple View Post
I had mine on a B&C with the same LOP as my AICS. Didn't need an extended rail for my LOP or head position. Only had it on for 150 rounds or so before it died.
Thanks for the info!

Sorry to hear it died so early. They currently are on the Gen III which seem to have fixed most if not all of the bugs. I purchased a Gen II but it carries a full lifetime warranty. What went wrong with yours Ryan?

Jicko,

Thanks for the offer buddy! I will definitely let ya know!
Old 11-25-2008, 6:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Mine went blurry and the focus ring locked up, the same as most others who had them fail. It looked like someone had smeared vaseline all over the lenses. Scott at LO took care of me all the way.

Hopefully you don't have to find out about the lifetime warranty. I hope these scopes start to really have a good track record.
Old 11-25-2008, 7:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksimple View Post
Mine went blurry and the focus ring locked up, the same as most others who had them fail. It looked like someone had smeared vaseline all over the lenses. Scott at LO took care of me all the way.

Hopefully you don't have to find out about the lifetime warranty. I hope these scopes start to really have a good track record.
Yikes! So it is DEFINITELY something noticeable that goes wrong hehe. Indeed I purchased mine from Scott as well. Awesome guy. I will be sure to let you know how it works out. Thanks again for the advice and info.
Old 11-25-2008, 8:26 PM

I've had mine on an AICS from the first batch. Not a single problem. Well, I had some dust or mud on the objective and I was afraid to wash it off so I sent it to IOR and they cleaned it up for me.

As far as the AICS, it fit me just right. I'm 6'1" tall. Hope the info helps you out a little.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by cocorador; 11-25-2008 at 8:32 PM..
Old 11-25-2008, 8:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocorador View Post
I've had mine on an AICS from the first batch. Not a single problem. Well, I had some dust or mud on the objective and I was afraid to wash it off so I sent it to IOR and they cleaned it up for me.

As far as the AICS, it fit me just right. I'm 6'1" tall. Hope the info helps you out a little.

[IMG][/IMG]
You sir are awesome!

I too am 6' 1"!!!

I also have the green 1.5 AICS and tac bolt knob lol... our rifles are twins

What base did you end up with?!

Thanks again!!
Old 11-26-2008, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane916 View Post
You sir are awesome!

I too am 6' 1"!!!

I also have the green 1.5 AICS and tac bolt knob lol... our rifles are twins

What base did you end up with?!

Thanks again!!

Shane, that's awesome! I'm using a Surgeon action with a KMW knob. The base is integrated into the action so I don't really have a choice unless I use an AR15 riser. I may, because I have a fat jaw and the low mount is on the low side for me. I should have gotten the medium rings. In your case, the bases for your action is a little taller than the one on my action so the small rings should be perfect.

Shane, what parts are you using, barrel, action and so on? Who's going to build it up for you? You'll have to post pic when you get it all finished.

Just to let you know about the scope. I know it has a bad rep. But I'be had mine on my Sako TRG-42 338 Lapua, a 300WSM and now my 308. I've had no issues with mine. Since it was the oldest, I put it on this rifle which is my hunting rifle. There had to have been over 600 rounds between the 3 rifles and the most on this one being close to 300 rounds. I ended up buying another SH IOR scope for my 300WSM. For me it has worked out between the 2 scopes. No problems. When I heard about the failures, I figure IOR will cover it. Scott has done an excellent job for me concerning questions about the failures. IOR was excellent as well.

Over the years, I've owned IOR scopes until now. Yes I do own some Mark 4s and 1 Night Force and a Zeiss Diavari, but I think the failure was just a fluke. Everyone has something go wrong one and a while.

The only thing I've noticed with European glass is that your parallax takes some getting used to. Basically, your margin of error on your eye releif is shrunken compared to, let say Leupold. You have to be as close to exaclty at your eye releif as possible. Unlike Leupold, you can move your head to and fro a little and still get full FOV and no white out. Where, I've noticed, you cant on European Optics. My only suggestion to you is, make sure your scpe height, rifle, and eye releif fits you like a glove. It will just help in getting you used to this type of optics. You'll love it when you get it all dialed in. Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have. I've spent a lot of time with Val at IOR and Scott at Liberty Optics talking about their product. They're both very helpful and friendly. I now buy all my optics from Liberty Optics.

Last edited by cocorador; 11-26-2008 at 5:46 AM..
Old 11-26-2008, 8:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Shane: since you haven't already bought one yet, try to go out to a long range match or a tactical match and try to see if you can find people having both scopes and get behind them. Look at the glass and play with the knobs etc.... personally I preferred a NF after this exercise, but that's me....

New to Calguns, check here first:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=56818
Old 11-26-2008, 1:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocorador View Post
Shane, that's awesome! I'm using a Surgeon action with a KMW knob. The base is integrated into the action so I don't really have a choice unless I use an AR15 riser. I may, because I have a fat jaw and the low mount is on the low side for me. I should have gotten the medium rings. In your case, the bases for your action is a little taller than the one on my action so the small rings should be perfect.

Shane, what parts are you using, barrel, action and so on? Who's going to build it up for you? You'll have to post pic when you get it all finished.

Just to let you know about the scope. I know it has a bad rep. But I'be had mine on my Sako TRG-42 338 Lapua, a 300WSM and now my 308. I've had no issues with mine. Since it was the oldest, I put it on this rifle which is my hunting rifle. There had to have been over 600 rounds between the 3 rifles and the most on this one being close to 300 rounds. I ended up buying another SH IOR scope for my 300WSM. For me it has worked out between the 2 scopes. No problems. When I heard about the failures, I figure IOR will cover it. Scott has done an excellent job for me concerning questions about the failures. IOR was excellent as well.

Over the years, I've owned IOR scopes until now. Yes I do own some Mark 4s and 1 Night Force and a Zeiss Diavari, but I think the failure was just a fluke. Everyone has something go wrong one and a while.

The only thing I've noticed with European glass is that your parallax takes some getting used to. Basically, your margin of error on your eye releif is shrunken compared to, let say Leupold. You have to be as close to exaclty at your eye releif as possible. Unlike Leupold, you can move your head to and fro a little and still get full FOV and no white out. Where, I've noticed, you cant on European Optics. My only suggestion to you is, make sure your scpe height, rifle, and eye releif fits you like a glove. It will just help in getting you used to this type of optics. You'll love it when you get it all dialed in. Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have. I've spent a lot of time with Val at IOR and Scott at Liberty Optics talking about their product. They're both very helpful and friendly. I now buy all my optics from Liberty Optics.
Thanks for the detailed reply! Once again, you are awesome! I will be sure to keep in touch with you. I do have a few more questions as well!

The build is going to be:

Remington 700P .308
AICS 1.5
Timney Trigger
IOR SH FFP
Seekins Rings
(base to be decided)
Harris Bipod
Accushot Monopod

I figured I could throw it all together..I think..I hope?

Do you us that mil dot master thing?

Also what data entry books do you use?