Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns > Handguns Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Handguns Gallery Post your pictures of your favorite sidearm here.

Old 11-21-2008, 9:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default First Handgun - Kimber Custom II - Updated 12/11/08

Well I am finally an official gun bearing hot blooded American. Back 10 years and a little more time then that ago I got a weapon charge Which made it a hard 240 hour waiting period to have to sit through. Luckily my friend Ian at Irvington Arms was like you should be fine. Low and behold today at 5:05PM PST I went in and picked up my baby!!! A Kimber Custom II 1911 .45 and man does she have a nice little attitude to her. I have been shooting .40 Cal XD40's MP40's and even Glocks that were .40 Cal. I have also shot a few 1911's and Glock 21SF's as well to keep me in the loop. But tonight I can say I fired my own personal Pride and Joy Here are a few pics of her:

Oh yeah I went out tonight right after i picked it up and fired 119 rounds through her. Upon reading the directions I found out I was supposed to field strip it before I shot it, oops . Took me near an hour or so just to put the damn thing back togehter. The slide release was about the hardest thing to get in besides the damn recoil spring. Now that I know how to field strip it and put it back together I should be a litle better at it lol. So off to a few more break in shots sometime this week.

I also decided to go ahead and order the Wilson Combat 8 Round Mags as well.

Quick Edit, these pics were taken after I field stripped it, cleaned and lubed it It is safely locked up in the case and in my safe

-Gio

Last edited by Gio; 12-11-2008 at 3:53 PM.. Reason: Updated it again :D
Old 11-21-2008, 10:28 PM

Very good looking gun.. Simple and mean looking

JOe
Old 11-22-2008, 7:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Congrats.
Old 11-22-2008, 7:36 AM
Veteran Member

Nice first gun!
Old 11-22-2008, 10:26 AM

hi GIO

why all the subaru owners jumping on here now?
Old 11-22-2008, 3:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlouie87 View Post
hi GIO

why all the subaru owners jumping on here now?
Ha ha, because a lot of us also have a nice hobby. When you coming down to Livermore dude? We need to get together and hang out and shoot some targets with the rest of the Nor-Cal STi crew.

-Gio
Old 11-26-2008, 6:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Thanks to Karleric here are some new pics of my Kimber Custom II with Hogue Grips now Went to the range shortly after installing the grips, feels much better while sending lead down range I have big hands, and the feel of the double stack grip fits like a glove Thanks again Karl, I owe you some time with my Kimber at the next IWSTI Range Day

So far I have 418 rounds throuogh her yee!!!

Thanks for looking,

-Gio
Old 12-04-2008, 7:24 PM

where did you buy it at and how much?
Old 12-05-2008, 9:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Went out today to a local indoor range and popped of 200 rounds. Here she is after a few hours of sitting in the case waiting for me to come home and take pics of her then clean her:

Hope you all enjoy these pics, I told you how much before too Dlouie. Hit me up on AIM sometime, k?

-Gio
Old 12-07-2008, 9:21 PM

Nice. I can't wait to pick up my Kimber at the end of this week.
Old 12-07-2008, 9:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooner View Post
Nice. I can't wait to pick up my Kimber at the end of this week.
Good stuff, which one did you end up getting?

Also I went out on Saturday and fired 300 more rounds down range with her. It was my Dad's first time shooting a .45 and after squeezing the trigger and moving to the left with it after a while he got a hang of it

I will post some pics up of my groupings I did anywhere from 25 feet and 135 feet Man I really do love taking my Kimber out and shooting it a lot!!! I picked it up the 21st of last month and it has been out like 5 times already to the range

-Gio
Old 12-07-2008, 11:37 PM

I got a .45acp Stainless Pro Carry II with night sights and should be able to pick it up saturday. I'll clean it and try to get to Jackson Arms in the next couple of weeks if my back feels better.

Again, congrats on the new toy.
Old 12-08-2008, 1:09 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I got a .45acp Stainless Pro Carry II with night sights and should be able to pick it up saturday. I'll clean it and try to get to Jackson Arms in the next couple of weeks if my back feels better.

Again, congrats on the new toy.
Hmmm, care to hit up the range with me sometime? I would love to see your Kimber in action, maybe a little swap with one another?

Dreading the thought of possibly having to send my gun back to Kimber in order to have them put on the night sights. I should make a new thread and ask if anyone has had any luck putting on night sights at a local gun shop. I called IA, where I bought it at, and they said Kiimber uses some loc-tite crap that is really hard to remove. So better off sending it back to them for the addition of the night sights, Which willmake me sad to be without her

-Gio
Old 12-08-2008, 7:07 AM
Calguns Addict

As far as mags, if you want to buy great mags at a cheaper price, I suggest KimPro Tac Mags @ The Armory for only $17 each. The quality and price is what makes me use KimPros over Wilsons at this point. They have never failed me at shooting steel challenges.

Great looking gun, I suggested the same to my buddy and he picked it up many months ago for a great price.

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 12-08-2008, 9:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio View Post
Hmmm, care to hit up the range with me sometime? I would love to see your Kimber in action, maybe a little swap with one another?
Sure.

Quote:
Dreading the thought of possibly having to send my gun back to Kimber in order to have them put on the night sights. I should make a new thread and ask if anyone has had any luck putting on night sights at a local gun shop. I called IA, where I bought it at, and they said Kiimber uses some loc-tite crap that is really hard to remove. So better off sending it back to them for the addition of the night sights, Which willmake me sad to be without her

-Gio
Try calling City Arms in Pacifica and ask them if they can replace your sights for you.
Old 12-08-2008, 9:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteQwill View Post
As far as mags, if you want to buy great mags at a cheaper price, I suggest KimPro Tac Mags @ The Armory for only $17 each. The quality and price is what makes me use KimPros over Wilsons at this point. They have never failed me at shooting steel challenges.
I think they were out when I tried to order mine. I called CheckMate and ordered four of the hybrid lip design directly from them.
Old 12-08-2008, 9:33 AM

Congrats on your purchase! May you have many more!
Old 12-08-2008, 6:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Cool, thanks for all the good info so far. I will be calling IA tomorrow at 10:30AM and seeing if Ian ever figured out as to whether or not they could be installed there. I will be looking into those mags, I really like how easy the WC mags are though.

Thanks for all the positive comments about my Custom II, I love it. I am glad I started off with a 1911 over a Glock or Sig .45 instead As my friends call it the Punisher Gun

-Gio
Old 12-08-2008, 6:28 PM
Veteran Member

Thats pretty tight, i am going to get the Kimber 1911 Tactical Custom II for my 28th bday i think
Old 12-11-2008, 3:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Since I went to the shop today to pick up some AR parts for my first build I decided to upgrade my Kimber as well. I went with a magwell kit from Kimber on my Custom II and Ian and I painted my front sight white as well :-) Oh yeah also put in a spring buffer as well which should help wear and tear on my gun. While I was there the shop employess were commenting on how smooth my 1911 was, and that there were no idiot marks on the frame or slide from field stripping her :-D

Next will be a custom trigger job by Frank at Irvington Arms if I so desire to have it done.

-Gio
Old 12-11-2008, 5:40 PM

If the trigger sucks make Kimber fix it.

I bought the Techwell System magwell/grip combo for mine. I get to install it hopefully tomorrow.
Old 12-11-2008, 7:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
If the trigger sucks make Kimber fix it.

I bought the Techwell System magwell/grip combo for mine. I get to install it hopefully tomorrow.
Thanks dude, yeah the Techwell Kit is nice, but I really like my Hogue Grips a lot. I talked it over with my friend and my dad as well, we all think the trigger is fine the way it is. One of the reasons I purchased it over a SA Operator or even the Glock 21

Hope you get that Techwell on there nice and easy, it should be a somewhat easy job to do. Mine was installed for free along with the recoil spring buffer as well. Even though I could of done them myself, Frank and Ian took it upon themselves to hook it up for me

-Gio
Old 12-12-2008, 4:19 PM

nice work sir, definitely worth the wait.
Old 12-12-2008, 6:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uracan View Post
nice work sir, definitely worth the wait.
Thank you sir

-Gio
Old 12-13-2008, 6:17 PM
Calguns Addict

I would not use a spring buffer on your gun if you intend to use it for HD. It may prevent the full action of the slide. The effects of wear-and-tear are minimal, if none, without the spring buffer. It's been a well documented issue. YMMV.

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 12-14-2008, 3:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteQwill View Post
I would not use a spring buffer on your gun if you intend to use it for HD. It may prevent the full action of the slide. The effects of wear-and-tear are minimal, if none, without the spring buffer. It's been a well documented issue. YMMV.
Thanks for the concern as I am sure the Joel from CVGS and Frank and Ian from IA would not want to put me or my Custom II in harms way. I will try it out, if there are any changes in the it behaves or reacts then I will change it out. Thanks again,

-Gio
Old 12-14-2008, 4:35 PM
Calguns Addict

I am STILL trying to figure out which Kimber should I get?
- Covert Custom II (i like the color, but no rail)
- Desert Warrior II (i am wondering why is there a premium for this, also a black grip would make it look nice)
- Stainless Custom TLE/RL II
- Eclipse Custom II (again, no rail)

New to Calguns, check here first:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=56818
Old 12-14-2008, 5:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jicko View Post
I am STILL trying to figure out which Kimber should I get?
- Covert Custom II (i like the color, but no rail)
- Desert Warrior II (i am wondering why is there a premium for this, also a black grip would make it look nice)
- Stainless Custom TLE/RL II
- Eclipse Custom II (again, no rail)
Hmm, sounds like you would like to have rails on your Kimber, so go with the TLE II which not only has rails on it but comes equipped with night sights as well. I do not know much about the DW or Eclipse, I really like my Custom II and even had plans on getting night sights but I have changed my mind on getting them. Plus I just needed to paint the front sight, now no more blurred vision trying to look down the sights

I really need to get out to the range and try out my new magwell and painted front sight. Been busy concentrating on finding all my parts for my LWRC M6A2 SRT build Plus work and family stuff to do arouond the busy holiday schedule

So go with what feels good for you and also with what has the options you want on a gun. Me I wanted a more True looking 1911 and decided to go with the Custom II which has been a great gun for me so far. Only thing I have a gripe about is how much the ammo costs for it, but then again my AR ammo is just about the same if not a little bit more

-Gio
Old 12-15-2008, 11:36 PM

Nice Kimber, might be the next thing on my list...still recovering from post-election AR build

Nice pistol and nice cars, I had a 04 STi too, now driving something different yet similar, still 4 doors, awd, turbo

Maybe we should have a range day together at Los Altos, I have another friend or two who are into cars and guns
Old 12-16-2008, 1:05 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homi mike View Post
Nice Kimber, might be the next thing on my list...still recovering from post-election AR build

Nice pistol and nice cars, I had a 04 STi too, now driving something different yet similar, still 4 doors, awd, turbo

Maybe we should have a range day together at Los Altos, I have another friend or two who are into cars and guns
Wow that is weird, I do not remember saying I had an 04 STi Yeah I am in the process of taking off all the look at me parts and trying to look more stock so that I can buy more guns Oh well I want to get me a Remington 870 so bad for home defense and some clay action as well

-Gio
Old 12-16-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Wow that is weird, I do not remember saying I had an 04 STi Yeah I am in the process of taking off all the look at me parts and trying to look more stock so that I can buy more guns Oh well I want to get me a Remington 870 so bad for home defense and some clay action as well

-Gio
Haha yeah, and mine was WRB/GOLD "too" !!
NO WAY I am doing the same thing taking off parts from my car just to finance this hobby, sad but true, can't have too costly hobbies at a time, not in this economy anyway
870 sounds good, lol though I am not a shot gun guy but I could see the fun out of it lol
Here's a youtube clip of my car, feel free to holla at me when you see me roaming around the WC/Concord/tri-valley area
PS: The Greddy Ti catback in the vid was sold in exchange to buy my glock, now will something more quiet while driving. Still hella loud in idle
Old 12-30-2008, 5:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Is there a such thing as too many mags? I currently bought 4 more Wilson Combat 47D's from a fellow CalGunner which brings me up to 8 47D's. Just wondering? Also I will be hitting the range soon enough, just waiting to get my 2 sun Devil Lowers in still! Once I get them and build my 2 AR Rifles I will hit the range and report back with how it went. In regards tot he new Kiimber Magwell and Whited out front sight

-Gio
Old 12-30-2008, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homi mike View Post
Haha yeah, and mine was WRB/GOLD "too" !!
NO WAY I am doing the same thing taking off parts from my car just to finance this hobby
I feel ya. My Mustang is staying modded. I'll just save to get more stuff.

Quote:
PS: The Greddy Ti catback in the vid was sold in exchange to buy my glock, now will something more quiet while driving. Still hella loud in idle
Oh no, another import guy. Sorry to hear of your impairment.

Quote:
Is there a such thing as too many mags?
Nope.

Quote:
I currently bought 4 more Wilson Combat 47D's from a fellow CalGunner which brings me up to 8 47D's.
I'm not a big fan of wilson as I've had lots of trouble in the past with their magazines.
Old 12-30-2008, 8:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Thanks nooner, I have been trouble free so far with my WC 47D's as of now I think I am done with mags for my Custom II. I am however changing up rotation on the Stocker, that one will be a dedicated HD Target Round holder for anyone stupid enough to test me

-Gio
Old 01-12-2009, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member

Nice dude, I can't wait to get my own Kimber someday, my dad is buying his this week. He is going to enjoy taunting me with it until October.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leitung View Post
Nice dude, I can't wait to get my own Kimber someday, my dad is buying his this week. He is going to enjoy taunting me with it until October.
Thanks Lol, that kinda sucks. It's cool if he lets you shoot it too looks like you have a good selection of handguns as well. I've been wanting to get a Glock 17 since ammo is cheaper and I am in the process of getting my reloading gear. I think I am going to get the .22LR Kit from Kimber though since it is still a lot less then 9MM and I am used to the trigger pull and function of my 1911

-Gio
Old 01-21-2009, 8:06 PM

is there any difference in trigger feel between the custom II and the TLE II and eclipse II? beautiful gun btw.
Old 01-28-2009, 7:05 PM

I purchased the same Custom II as my first pistol a few years back...never upgraded any parts, but I havent felt the need to either. I figured it would be a perfect KISS pistol and it is. I like the look of the Hogue grips on yours...
Old 01-30-2009, 5:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango salsa View Post
is there any difference in trigger feel between the custom II and the TLE II and eclipse II? beautiful gun btw.
No not really, all pretty much still buttery smooth if I may say

-Gio
Old 01-30-2009, 5:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukus View Post
I purchased the same Custom II as my first pistol a few years back...never upgraded any parts, but I havent felt the need to either. I figured it would be a perfect KISS pistol and it is. I like the look of the Hogue grips on yours...
Thanks man, all a personal choice as to whether or not to add the Magwell. I shoot a lot and just like the feel and look of it, I would like to consider using my Custom II for shooting events. That will be around the time I really learn how to reload my own rounds, and my knee gets all healed up as well

-Gio