Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 11-25-2008, 1:43 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
hope this helps.

NOTE: my question as to why you created this thread was in no way to be hostile towards you. just a general question.
It's cool.

Personally I've found a lot of guys in the military to be arrogant, rude, and holier than thou. At the same time, I've got a lot of friends in the military who are just the opposite. Just like Law Enforcement, it's a type of job that can attract people who enjoy abusing the power that they're given. People who make up for a lack of self esteem by using their title to become above others.

By saying that, I don't mean to denigrate military service by any means, it's just another reason that I wouldn't want to serve. The majority of people I've met in the service are the type that I wouldn't want to be around.

I've spoken it over with the wife and we both said that the only way we'd serve in the military would be if we could both be stationed together and if we were fighting a war here on American soil.
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . you are, after all, anonymous."
-Barry Ritholtz

Help be a better advocate for the 2nd Amendment here.

Last edited by Booshanky; 11-25-2008 at 1:47 PM..
Old 11-25-2008, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booshanky View Post
It's cool.

Personally I've found a lot of guys in the military to be arrogant, rude, and holier than thou. At the same time, I've got a lot of friends in the military who are just the opposite. Just like Law Enforcement, it's a type of job that can attract people who enjoy abusing the power that they're given. People who make up for a lack of self esteem by using their title to become above others.

By saying that, I don't mean to denigrate military service by any means, it's just another reason that I wouldn't want to serve. The majority of people I've met in the service are the type that I wouldn't want to be around.

I've spoken it over with the wife and we both said that the only way we'd serve in the military would be if we could both be stationed together and if we were fighting a war here on American soil.
the military draws its numbers from the citizenry of the us which includes a**holes and holier than thou arts, so yes there are some. there's the other side of it too, imagine you went to this horrible place where its 120 in the day 90 at night during the summer and cold as balls in the winter, the earth literally smells of feces, the people have an average IQ of 10 and someone who outranks you always has a brilliant idea that causes you too loose sleep. you wear around 60lbs of gear everyday which seems it was designed to purposely hurt your back, all of the vehicles you ride in were designed for the residents of lilliput from Gulliver's travels and most of the natives exhibit minimal effort to be competent in anything. you were there for 15 months you get to go home for 12 and then go back. oh i forgot some of your friends died, and not just one.

now while your on your 12 month break you hear some guy in 24 hour fitness telling some other guy about how GW faked 911 and osama was framed or some other liberal fantasy I'm sure you've at least heard of. your response to said remark could come off as sightly arrogant rude or holier than thou art. somethings you just cant understand unless you have been though them, then again you cold just have ran into a d***he.

Last edited by dwa; 11-25-2008 at 6:03 PM..
Old 11-25-2008, 3:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
While I can understand why you would only fight a war on US soil (assuming it's for moral reasons, not because you don't like travel). On the other hand, stating you would not fight if you had to separate from your wife really shows that you lack the ability to sacrifice or endure hardship in order to defend your country. Lucky for you there are better men that will stand up when you won't (yes they are better, sorry if that makes me sound "holier than thou") so that you can have the luxury of not fighting. And I'm sure they won't mind if you don't want to hang around them.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but you posted it.

The troublemaker formerly known as Blackwater OPS.

Last edited by Matt C; 11-25-2008 at 3:34 PM..
Old 11-25-2008, 5:30 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by stphnman20 View Post
Answers in bold
Pretty much the same for me. I tried school and didnt like it. I think its the best thing that I have done so far in my life. The other stuff is muted.

HMM-161 Westpac 1994
Old 11-25-2008, 7:33 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwater OPS View Post
While I can understand why you would only fight a war on US soil (assuming it's for moral reasons, not because you don't like travel).
Yeah, moral reasons. I disagree with almost every military action our country has taken since WWII.

Quote:
On the other hand, stating you would not fight if you had to separate from your wife really shows that you lack the ability to sacrifice or endure hardship in order to defend your country. Lucky for you there are better men that will stand up when you won't (yes they are better, sorry if that makes me sound "holier than thou") so that you can have the luxury of not fighting. And I'm sure they won't mind if you don't want to hang around them.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but you posted it.
My wife is a damn fine shot, one of the smartest people I know, and there are few people I trust with my back more than her.

I don't know why you want to turn into a pissing match of who would possibly sacrifice more in some completely hypothetical situation that most likely would never happen in our lifetime. Who knows what we'll do if the time came down to it. I might not even join the military then depending on the leadership of our government at the time.

But this is all just pure speculation on our parts, with us knowing nothing about what the real situation might look like.
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . you are, after all, anonymous."
-Barry Ritholtz

Last edited by Booshanky; 11-25-2008 at 7:46 PM..
Old 11-25-2008, 7:45 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwa View Post
the military draws its numbers from the citizenry of the us which includes a**holes and holier than thou arts, so yes there are some. there's the other side of it too, imagine you went to this horrible place where its 120 in the day 90 at night during the summer and cold as balls in the winter, the earth literally smells of feces, the people have an average IQ of 10 and someone who outranks you always has a brilliant idea that causes you too loose sleep. you wear around 60lbs of gear everyday which seems it was designed to purposely hurt your back, all of the vehicles you ride in were designed for the residents of lilliput from Gulliver's travels and most of the natives exhibit minimal effort to be competent in anything. you were there for 15 months you get to go home for 12 and then go back. oh i forgot some of your friends died, and not just one.
I agree, that'd pretty much suck more than anything.

My personal experience though is mostly with members of the military who had not been to war zones. I grew up in Reno NV, and I knew a lot of people who joined the military after high school. I'd run into them in bars with their girlfriends and they were always the least amicable people I've met. Flaunting their uniforms and looking for fights.

And again, I also have some really good friends who are in the military. A buddy of mine just got back from Gitmo, one who did three tours in Iraq at the beginning of the war, and I've got another who is in Iraq right now. They're some of the nicest people I know.

But like I said, I think it's just one of those jobs that tends to attract the jerks because it gives them the authority they lack in their normal every day lives.

Not trying to be stereotypical or judgmental by any means, just my personal observations.

Quote:
now while your on your 12 month break you hear some guy in 24 hour fitness telling some other guy about how GW faked 911 and osama was framed or some other liberal fantasy I'm sure you've at least heard of. your response to said remark could come off as sightly arrogant rude or holier than thou art. somethings you just cant understand unless you have been though them, then again you cold just have ran into a d***he.
Oh believe me, the 9/11 truthers are some of the most godawful annoying people on the face of the earth. I'm on your side there.
-Barry Ritholtz

Old 11-25-2008, 8:54 PM

Quote:

My personal experience though is mostly with members of the military who had not been to war zones. I grew up in Reno NV, and I knew a lot of people who joined the military after high school. I'd run into them in bars with their girlfriends and they were always the least amicable people I've met. Flaunting their uniforms and looking for fights.

generally i don't have a high opinion of people who haven't deployed or who aren't in combat arms that think they're bad asses

And again, I also have some really good friends who are in the military. A buddy of mine just got back from Gitmo, one who did three tours in Iraq at the beginning of the war, and I've got another who is in Iraq right now. They're some of the nicest people I know.

But like I said, I think it's just one of those jobs that tends to attract the jerks because it gives them the authority they lack in their normal every day lives.

yes and no i believe your a photographer? do you meet a lot of stuck up jerks there? most the people your thinking of probably aren't well liked within the military. you don't start off with authority some of the time you have to earn it, it takes awhile to get any I'm guessing the guys you had problems with were lower enlisted which goes back to you only get whats in the pool you draw from. there was a photographer that broke down crying when we got hit with an ied that doesn't make me think all photographers would break down crying.

Not trying to be stereotypical or judgmental by any means, just my personal observations.

i didn't think you were but you are hard to figure out, you've said things that i agree with and things that make me want to choke you (figureativly) but "But like I said, I think it's just one of those jobs that tends to attract the jerks because it gives them the authority they lack in their normal every day lives." that sounds fairly judgemental to me

Oh believe me, the 9/11 truthers are some of the most godawful annoying people on the face of the earth. I'm on your side there.
the part about that was a true story i nearly lost control and had to leave after i b*tched him out, lol i still get mad thinking of it
Old 11-25-2008, 8:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

This tends to be the ones who're much younger, or the ones who have never matured.

I think a lot of what comes off as arrogance is that we go through a lot of hardships and make a lot of sacrifices that most people who haven't experienced just don't fully understand. It makes it difficult to relate to civilians, as they can't relate to you.

Like in any job, we have our share of jerks. But to put it into perspective, a service member "is the barroom loudmouth, dumber than five wooden planks, whose overgrown frat-boy behavior is outweighed a hundred times in the cosmic scales by four hours of exquisite bravery near the 38th parallel."
Old 11-26-2008, 12:24 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
i was curious, generally the vibe i get from boo is he is not very appreciative of the military so i was curious why he asked. may i ask why you asked that i asked?
that's why i will not answer... that all i will say

Last edited by goathead; 12-03-2008 at 2:21 PM..
Old 11-26-2008, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq_wizzard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosis View Post

The military isn't for everyone...

Pick a job that's reasonably transferable into civilian life... Grunt/MP = easier to join police force, EOD = Possible Bomb Squad, etc...
From what I understand MP dose not = easier to a LEO job, as the laws in the military do not translate to civilian life very well, I know it is next to imposable to join the Sacramento Sheriff's Department if you were an MP.
I know a few Marines who got out after being MP's with jobs in the NYPD and their local police departments (other states)... Maybe here in Cali its a bit harder but, in a large majority of states its not... You still have to go through Police Academy and all (according to my interview with the LAPD)... When I was getting out LAPD, CHP, and SDPD were all on base trying to get Marines interested in joining the force...
Old 11-26-2008, 6:25 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLogan View Post
This tends to be the ones who're much younger, or the ones who have never matured.

I think a lot of what comes off as arrogance is that we go through a lot of hardships and make a lot of sacrifices that most people who haven't experienced just don't fully understand. It makes it difficult to relate to civilians, as they can't relate to you.

Like in any job, we have our share of jerks. But to put it into perspective, a service member "is the barroom loudmouth, dumber than five wooden planks, whose overgrown frat-boy behavior is outweighed a hundred times in the cosmic scales by four hours of exquisite bravery near the 38th parallel."

True, I moved to LA when I was 21 so the guys I'm talking about were younger. And the guys I know in the military here in LA are a hell of a lot nicer than those dudes.

It could be the age thing, or it could be that anyone in Reno who joins the military is an arrogant hick. haha.
-Barry Ritholtz

Old 11-26-2008, 9:12 AM
Banned

Booshanky, let me give you some TR:

It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt

You, as one of the protected, live in the margin of safety created by those of us who stood up and served our country. Certainly, we are flawed and often perceived as arrogant or rude by those we protect. As a veteran, I don't want to be revered or even honored by civilians. I just ask that they understand the sacrifices that have been made for them, and respect those who defend our way of life.

Booshanky, you can sit back and pick and choose what you would defend, where you would fight, and with what degree of enthusiasm. That's nice. But that's not how it works. While you are certainly entitled to your opinions, I would advise you not to spout it off in the presence of veterans. They will become annoyed, and that will not be a pleasant experience for you.
Old 11-28-2008, 3:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Z50 View Post

It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt

You, as one of the protected, live in the margin of safety created by those of us who stood up and served our country. Certainly, we are flawed and often perceived as arrogant or rude by those we protect. As a veteran, I don't want to be revered or even honored by civilians. I just ask that they understand the sacrifices that have been made for them, and respect those who defend our way of life.

Booshanky, you can sit back and pick and choose what you would defend, where you would fight, and with what degree of enthusiasm. That's nice. But that's not how it works. While you are certainly entitled to your opinions, I would advise you not to spout it off in the presence of veterans. They will become annoyed, and that will not be a pleasant experience for you.
well said.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 12-01-2008, 8:44 AM
Veteran Member

I would like to thank all who have served. Your sacrifices and loyalty to our Nation are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

But, all who have responded to Boo's OP were baited. Boo's continued dialogue in this thread is showing his true colors, which is military bashing.

Last edited by MolonLabe2008; 12-01-2008 at 11:17 AM..
Old 12-01-2008, 8:50 AM

Quote:
For those calgunners who are in one of the branches of the military, what prompted you to sign on the dotted line?

For those who are veterans, do you feel that your time in the service was worthwhile?

Have any of you seen combat? If so, did that change your view of military service?

What advice would you give to those who are thinking of enlisting?
All my friends were doing it.

On a small scale, for the life experiences and friends I made.

Yes. No.

Do it, you pansy.
Old 12-01-2008, 2:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Booshanky wrote:
I couldn't ever be in the military I don't think. My mom raised me on the phrase "because I said so" and it irritated me so much growing up that I'm pretty much incapable of following orders without knowing all the details of why I do something.
So, what you are saying is that you don't like to be told what to do? That's odd, because you are so much into big government telling everyone else how to live their lives.

Maybe if your Dad was around, you might have turned out differently.
Old 12-01-2008, 2:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolonLabe2008 View Post

I don't know where you are coming from, but that comment sounds totally out of line.

Old 12-01-2008, 2:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Blackwater OPS wrote:
I don't know where you are coming from, but that comment sounds totally out of line.
So, it is OK for him to blame his mother for the way he turned out?
Old 12-01-2008, 2:36 PM

Nope. We'll start by not blaming yours.
Old 12-01-2008, 2:39 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:

Theodore Roosevelt

Words to live by...
Old 12-01-2008, 2:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
MrSlippyFist wrote:
Nope. We'll start by not blaming yours.
Boo said the following about his mother...

Quote:
I couldn't ever be in the military I don't think. My mom raised me on the phrase "because I said so" and it irritated me so much growing up that I'm pretty much incapable of following orders without knowing all the details of why I do something.
So, Boo blamed his mother for the way he turned out. I'm trying to defend his mother and you are getting on my case.

Last edited by MolonLabe2008; 12-01-2008 at 4:26 PM..
Old 12-01-2008, 2:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I don't know what you are talking about, but my father was not around when I was growing up and your comment really touches a nerve. Why don't you just leave people's parents out of it? This is not the third grade.

Old 12-01-2008, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Boo said the following about is mother...

So, Boo blamed his mother for the way he turned out. I'm trying to defend his mother and you are getting on my case.
I don't see that as blaming his mother. And i'm the first to start complaining about crap like that. It seems to be the mantra of today's youth, just listen to the whiny rock on the radio.
Old 12-01-2008, 3:10 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
For those who are veterans, do you feel that your time in the service was worthwhile? Absolutely, I tell my boys and their friends, IMHO, everyone should serve. We have something worth fighting for, and making a small time commitment to make it better and safe, is everyone's responsibility.

Have any of you seen combat? If so, did that change your view of military service? NO

What advice would you give to those who are thinking of enlisting?
Take your time and get good advice, get schooling that can be used once you get out. Make the best of it, its about serving others and the greater good, you'll have your whole life to do for yourself when you get out.
‎"If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the General Welfare, the Government is no longer a limited one, possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one, subject to particular exceptions."
--James Madison
'Letter to Edmund Pendleton', 1792
Old 12-01-2008, 4:20 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Take it easy guys, let's leave my mom put of this.

HMM-161 Westpac 1994
Old 12-01-2008, 5:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Theodore Roosevelt

Bravo MSG!
Old 12-01-2008, 6:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I would like to thank all who have served. Your sacrifices and loyalty to our Nation are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

But, all who have responded to Boo's OP were baited. Boo's continued dialogue in this thread is showing his true colors, which is military bashing.
1++++ on that ... that's why i didn't answer
Old 12-01-2008, 10:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Well the AF is paying for my schooling so thats how they roped me in but i would have Enlisted either way, and i am doing ti because we have the best country in the world, and i like it here and i feel as thought it is partly my responsibility to help in any way i can.

to those of you CG on here that have served I thank you for you selflessness and bravery and i truly thank you for the sacrifice you made no matter how big nor small Thanks.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:00 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:

What I've said can only be considered "military bashing" if you believe that people in the military should only be discussed in glowing terms at all times.

People in the military are human beings just like you or I. They are drawn from the population at large and because of that there are going to be some really amazing people and some lowlife jerks. I've known both. I have a friend who's serving in Iraq right now who is one of the nicest guys I know. I've also known people who joined the military because they just wanted to have some authority, and as such abused it on a constant basis.

If anything, I'd say that I have a deep appreciation for the military because I view it without blinders.
-Barry Ritholtz

Old 12-02-2008, 10:04 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
So, what you are saying is that you don't like to be told what to do? That's odd, because you are so much into big government telling everyone else how to live their lives.
I'm saying I don't like to be told what to do without knowing the "why" of it.

Quote:
That's true, who knows what kind of a person I might have become? While I'm sure you'd disagree, I think my mom did a damn fine job of raising me. She worked three jobs as a single mom and my sister and I have both turned out to be successful people.
-Barry Ritholtz

Old 12-02-2008, 10:06 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Why on earth do you care what I think of my mom? Why do you presume to know anything about her?
-Barry Ritholtz

Old 12-02-2008, 10:07 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Boo said the following about his mother...

Are you some sort of magical being who was not influenced in any way by the way your parents raised you or something? I'm really confused why you're being so rude here.
-Barry Ritholtz

Old 12-02-2008, 10:09 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwater OPS View Post
I don't know what you are talking about, but my father was not around when I was growing up and your comment really touches a nerve. Why don't you just leave people's parents out of it? This is not the third grade.
To top it off, I was raised by a single mom who was also gay. So yeah, that's influenced the way I think a lot too.
-Barry Ritholtz

Old 12-02-2008, 2:51 PM

Quote:
To top it off, I was raised by a single mom who was also gay. So yeah, that's influenced the way I think a lot too.
im not trying to pick a fight but im asummeing you had a biological father, if you did then is your mom then bisexual and not gay?
Old 12-02-2008, 7:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
im not trying to pick a fight but im asummeing you had a biological father, if you did then is your mom then bisexual and not gay?
Well, as mentioned before dad is gone. So it's not a stretch to say that mom probably turned gay.
Old 12-03-2008, 7:55 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Good question. I personally think she's asexual since I don't think she's dated anyone seriously in about 15 years.

And my dad is around, he lives in Chicago and we get along great.
-Barry Ritholtz

Old 12-03-2008, 7:56 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army GI View Post
Well, as mentioned before dad is gone. So it's not a stretch to say that mom probably turned gay.
Yeah, it was a really bad divorce and my mom still hates my dad to this day. So I wouldn't be surprised if she just went gay out of spite for men. Who knows?
-Barry Ritholtz

Old 12-03-2008, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Good question. I personally think she's asexual since I don't think she's dated anyone seriously in about 15 years.

And my dad is around, he lives in Chicago and we get along great.
without more information im going to have to say that shes less homosexual and more just angry at men. perhaps if she had some lesbian experiances (i dont recall you specifiying) it was more of an "all men are dogs" kinda thing.
Old 12-03-2008, 4:31 PM

I love how this has devolved into a discussion about Boo's Mom's sex life.

I joined because my father served, his father served, his father served, etc.

It was something I felt I had to do. This country isn't great, but it's pretty damn good and we benefit by living here that I believe everyone should give back in some way (Robert Heinlein was sooo right.)

And Boo, I know some of my friends who are a bit arrogant too. But I understand that. Most civilians these days, especially my age (20's) are a bunch of spoon fed, whiny little *****es who wear their sister's jeans and complain about how "tough" their lives are when, really, they lead cushy pampered lives and have never had to go through true hardships or sacrifice that almost everyone in the military goes through at some time or another. By comparison, you don't often see military members speaking down to a steel mill worker or a farm hand who does back-breaking labor from before dawn until after dark do you?
Old 12-03-2008, 4:59 PM

Quote:

+10000.
Proud to be a veteran !!!